Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: tim53]
      #5899133 - 06/03/13 07:57 AM

Quote:

Good idea, actually. I started out thinking of doing that, but then I would say "but if I make the roof roll off, I won't have to build another shed for the telescope after the cabin/garage/whatever is done! "

Yep, as an old boss used to say: "there's nothing as permanent as a temporary solution"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: roscoe]
      #6032042 - 08/18/13 12:16 AM

bumping for ideas, since it'll be cooling off out there soon and I'd like to get started.

I'm thinking along the lines of an observatory with a 'warm room' big enough to have a bathroom, kitchenette, and someplace to crash during the day. I sent the BYO folks an email just now asking about custom prices.

Since I don't have anything on the site yet, I'm worried about securing things while I'm not there during the week when I need to work. So, if I can afford to have it built for me, that might be the way to go.

I'll build a cabin and a workshop a few years from now. If the observatory's already there, I'll be able to secure things better when I'm not able to be around.

-Tim.

stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
      #6032411 - 08/18/13 08:41 AM

I'd be tempted to go 12 x 12 with that big scope, I went 10x10 and it is just about right with my LXD55 10 inch F4 scope. You will kick yourself forever if it is too small, think about room for step stool etc not just the scope.

Norm

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: stmguy]
      #6032658 - 08/18/13 11:24 AM

Go big if you need it. It complicates only automation.

Starman27
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/06

Loc: Illinois, Iowa
Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: Raginar]
      #6033220 - 08/18/13 05:05 PM

+1 Build for the future.

Nave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/10

Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: Starman27]
      #6042268 - 08/23/13 05:16 PM

Just noticed your updated sig file with the link here - congrats! That is a fantastic location - anywhere within a 1/4 mile radius of there is just out of this world. Right on the boundary of the park = wow.

The parcel I lived on 15 years ago for 6 months in Landers comes on the market in September and if I can hoodwink the missus, we will be distant "neighbors" of sorts.

Congratulations again - great, great site.

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: Nave]
      #6042426 - 08/23/13 08:21 PM

The GMARS folks are in Landers. I just spoke with the contractor who builds their RORs. He was doing some concrete sidewalks and curbs for a historic apartment building in Eagle Rock this week, just a few miles from our house.

I'm hoping that I can buy plans from BYO and have him put in the pad, pier footing, septic, water and power and build the basic structure and rolloff, and my wife and I will finish off the interior over time, once it's secure and I have a place to store tools and building supplies - and telescopes!

I decided to build something big enough to house the 12.5" Cave (even if I don't put that particular scope in there, a whole lot of other scopes I could imagine would fit if that one will!) and have a small living area on the north half. And since anything bigger than 120sq ft needs a permit (or anything with power and plumbing) I might as well build something bigger, so long as I can afford it.

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#6092049 - 09/20/13 04:07 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

It's finally starting to cool down out there, so tomorrow my wife and I are planning on meeting the contractor to talk about what to build, so we can get him started pulling permits and stuff.

Spoke with Scott Horstman last night about some of the larger custom jobs he's done, to get an idea of prices. One floor plan I kind of like, I scaled and pasted onto an aerial view of the pad, to see how it fits. I wanted to leave room for a garage/workshop on the east side of the pad, and a small house on the southwest side of the pad in the few years ahead. Wonder where the septic will fit?

roscoe
curmudgeon

#6092669 - 09/20/13 11:29 PM

Tim,

What about building something 2-story, perhaps even with a dome on the roof? Your living space could be downstairs, with the scope room above? For not a lot more money than your one-story structure, you could have twice as much space..... Kitchen, living, bath downstairs, bedroom half the upstairs, scope room the other half......
Russ

tim53
Postmaster

#6092782 - 09/21/13 01:57 AM

Well, the previous owner was going to build this there:

School House

But she ran out of money. I'm not into modern, except for some very cool "modern" home near us that we were docents in on a house tour several years ago (glass walls, built in the 50s, I think).

But a 2-storey would block the view for observers on the ground, unless they were south of it. ...and I don't think it'd be in my budget.

-Tim.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
      #6093008 - 09/21/13 09:01 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

Hi Tim,

The floor plan you show looks alot like the observatory that BYO built for a neighbor of mine in WV. The observing room is 24' square with another 16' or so of warm room/living sleeping area. My neighbor uses the obs with a 25" obsession.

One nice thing is the patio (extended concrete pad), which is covered when the roof is open. Nice for BarBQing.

All I have handy at the moment is a construction picture. Other pictures can be arranged.

JimC

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: Mirzam]
      #6093131 - 09/21/13 10:27 AM

Hi Jim:

That's the size of it. I was thinking of dividing the space in half, though, and making the observatory 20x24. I could probably fit at least 2 piers in there, maybe 3.

Still not sure I can afford that size building, though, unless I do a lot of the work myself. We'll see. Meeting with the contractor in a few hours, if I can get myself up and awake (only 2 sips of coffee down so far).

-Tim.

roscoe
curmudgeon

#6093298 - 09/21/13 12:07 PM

Jus' sayin......aside from the height blocking part of the view issue, the cost difference between one-story and 1-1/2 or two - with the inside of the roof as the ceiling, is not all that much, especially because you could then shrink the overall footprint some and still get the same - or more - square footage inside. (and if you did 1-1/2, you could have oh-so-desirable 5' walls in the obs, and it'd only be 5' taller than a one-story.......... and you would have a cool peaked ceiling in the upstairs room.....

and, like I said above, there's nothing as permanent as a temporary solution, and you might as well (if you can sort-of afford it) build your cabin now, it'll be way lots cheaper than a whole separate structure (and another sewerage system, yes??) later.... Build a couple of nice brick or stone piers to the second floor maybe, or just hide concrete ones in the walls in the closet-zone or something......
Might be the best $20K you ever spent......
jus' sayin......
Russ

Mirzam
Post Laureate

#6093312 - 09/21/13 12:12 PM

I think a little more inside space along the lines you are thinking would be helpful. My friends observatory has everything needed for a living space (kitchen, bath, bedroom, utility room), plus space for a control station. It is all a bit tight though. In contrast there is some wasted space in the telescope area. Maybe he will go bigger than 25" sometime in the future and put that space to use.

One thing to consider is that the roof peak may obscure Polaris and quite a bit of the northern sky assuming the obs is oriented NS. A solution would be to have the roof roll off a bit further than the minimum amount necessary.

BYO has a brilliant system for motorizing the roof using a motor+gear and long rack. There are no pulleys or cables involved.

JimC

tim53
Postmaster

#6094899 - 09/22/13 11:36 AM

Got back home late last night after a good conversation with the contractor about what he can do and when, followed by an invite to the Sky's the Limit's fundraiser in 29 Palms.

First thing we found when we got there is that the scale bar was WAY off on my graphic above. I haven't reopened the file since I got up this morning, yet, but it's so far off that the graphic is worthless as I've got it drawn! I localize the rovers on Mars after every drive, so I "live" image scale daily, and this is embarrassing! At least I haven't spent money on the observatory yet!

Looks like we might be able to build something like the BYO 24x48 above using their plans and maybe roof hardware around the top end of our hoped-for budget limit, though. We all did pretty much conclude that we should build as much of what we want long-term now, rather than doing things piecemeal - temporary solutions and all being what they tend to be. So, let me get back to that plot!

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#6095179 - 09/22/13 02:43 PM

Ha!!

I use Global Mapper for some of my work tasks, so I downloaded some online global imagery of the lot at 1m/pixel with a 200ft scale bar added, and I get a somewhat different, but still WRONG result. I can tell because I can make a 660ft square box in Canvas 14 and it is NOT 4x bigger than the lot (2.5 acres with easements, so 2.05 acres).

So I'm going to go from the blueprints we have from the previous owner's building plans, and start over.

Tim

tim53
Postmaster

#6095622 - 09/22/13 07:28 PM

Quote:

Jus' sayin......aside from the height blocking part of the view issue, the cost difference between one-story and 1-1/2 or two - with the inside of the roof as the ceiling, is not all that much, especially because you could then shrink the overall footprint some and still get the same - or more - square footage inside. (and if you did 1-1/2, you could have oh-so-desirable 5' walls in the obs, and it'd only be 5' taller than a one-story.......... and you would have a cool peaked ceiling in the upstairs room.....

and, like I said above, there's nothing as permanent as a temporary solution, and you might as well (if you can sort-of afford it) build your cabin now, it'll be way lots cheaper than a whole separate structure (and another sewerage system, yes??) later.... Build a couple of nice brick or stone piers to the second floor maybe, or just hide concrete ones in the walls in the closet-zone or something......
Might be the best $20K you ever spent......
jus' sayin......
Russ

I'm having a hard time visualizing this 1 1/2 storey thingy. Can you post a sketch?

-Tim.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

#6095672 - 09/22/13 08:04 PM

I think he means living quarters below and observatory above. Sounds kind of like a good idea.

JimC

tim53
Postmaster

#6095839 - 09/22/13 09:42 PM

Yeah, I get that. I just can't figure out which way the roof goes if the upstairs room has a peaked ceiling and the observatory has a 5' south wall?

-Tim.

Edited by tim53 (09/22/13 09:42 PM)

roscoe
curmudgeon

#6096774 - 09/23/13 12:55 PM

Tim.....home for lunch.....will sketch my idea tonight
R

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7168

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics