Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: roscoe]
      #6096876 - 09/23/13 01:50 PM

Thanks! That'd be cool.

In discussions with the spousal unit, I think I'm leaning more toward building something smaller, but big enough to have a bathroom and small kitchenette, and putting it at the north end of the pad and saving the cabin build for a few years from now.

All pending the contractor's estimate for the various options we talked about on Saturday.

-Tim.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Boot
wildly diverse musical tastes

Reged: 06/04/07

Loc: The Outernet
Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: tim53]
      #6100770 - 09/25/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

... Wonder where the septic will fit?

Tim - 'not sure if that was a flippant question or not, but if it is a serious concern...

Ecoflo units have a very small footprint (way less than a conventional 'field') and are eco-friendly. We put one in at our dark sky cottage location on the Bruce Peninsula in Canada, and it's been trouble-free and stinky-free. I highly recommend.

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: Boot]
      #6107382 - 09/29/13 12:24 PM

I've never had to deal with septic systems before. I'll have to look into those!

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#6118246 - 10/05/13 12:12 AM Attachment (26 downloads)

So here's what I've been thinking...

I used the previous owner's building plan blueprints to get the scale right in Canvas. Google maps is off by something like 50%!

So my desirement for a 24x40 that would fit in that alcove in the north corner of the pad won't work, because with the outriggers for the roof, the building would protrude into the area where we'd like to build a cabin one day. So, I got the 16x24 plans from BYO and figure I'll change them to 24x24, and split the space in half for a little living space on the north half and a 12x24 observatory space with a couple piers on the south half:

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
      #6118568 - 10/05/13 07:23 AM

Won't the cabin block the southern horizon?

JimC

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: Mirzam]
      #6118700 - 10/05/13 09:43 AM

Some, but the Palm Spring/Indio light dome lives there, too. And it'll be a single-story with a low peak to the roof.

Only other configuration I can think of is putting the observatory in the space between where I have it drawn now and the garage, and then putting the cabin along the west side. We didn't want to block the view of the rock pile with a building there, though.

Another idea I just thought of would be to put the observatory on the east side instead of the garage, and put both the cabin and garage on the west side. Hm...

I'll have to fiddle with the drawing and see what works.

-Tim.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6118803 - 10/05/13 10:50 AM

Quote:

Another idea I just thought of would be to put the observatory on the east side instead of the garage, and put both the cabin and garage on the west side. Hm...

Looks like that might be a better choice.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6118857 - 10/05/13 11:20 AM

Why not flip the cabin and obs?

JimC

tim53
Postmaster

#6118972 - 10/05/13 12:33 PM

I like the SW corner for the cabin, and my wife doesn't want the observatory in front of the view of the valley and mountains to the south-southwest.

This is why the observatory and cabin aren't one piece - there's no easy way to put both the observatory and the view on the southwest corner. So, one Idea we considered before we realized it was too big was a 24x40 oriented east west along the southwest side of the pad, with the roof rolling off to the east. But then, the building extends to the driveway, and the observatory is next to the road. ...and I think it'll cost more to build the cabin/observatory combination now, than I have to spend.

I'm going to look at this more, though, and draw up some other ideas - maybe including putting Morbius' Altair IV home on the pad!

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#6118979 - 10/05/13 12:35 PM

Should note... with the 24x40 east-west, the roof would be split so the observatory was on the east end and the view was on the west.

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#6118980 - 10/05/13 12:36 PM

I'm also intrigued by the MAD Observatory design, and have been cogitating about how I might place something like that on the pad, possibly as part of the cabin, but also as a stand-alone.

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#6119137 - 10/05/13 02:48 PM

Ack! Don't much like this one either.

16x32 observatory, made the garage smaller too and the cabin bigger.

tim53
Postmaster

#6119139 - 10/05/13 02:48 PM

pic didn't post. I've got to work on a fence, so later.

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#6119202 - 10/05/13 03:34 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

One more time, only this time we moved everything:

tim53
Postmaster

#6142101 - 10/17/13 12:06 AM

Gonna draw some more lines in the dirt this Sunday!

Wish everybody wasn't so busy... ...like me, for instance! Been hard to coordinate the little free time we each have, but meeting with the contractor to talk over the BYO plans and the electrician about running power.

Question: Given the nearest power pole is right next to that Toyota on the lower right corner of the lot (actually, just outside the lot), which would be cheaper? 110AC or solar? Remember, I'm only going to have the observatory to feed for the next few years. Cooking would be a problem, though. They use propane or electric stoves out there. I have an old electric stove that I was going to use in my garage to cure paint, but haven't yet. I could move it out to Cosmic.

-Tim.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
      #6142119 - 10/17/13 12:19 AM

In my opinion,My opinion mind you,the cost of AC would be cheaper than Solar especially if you want 220v for running an electric stove. Of course,I do not know what they charge in your area for electrical service to be run to your property.
You may be able to save a little by digging in the line to where it could be hooked up and then having the electric company and electrician do all the hookups. Where I live, The homeowner can do much of the work yet still needs inspections.

rimcrazy
sage

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Overgaard, AZ
Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: tim57064]
      #6142483 - 10/17/13 09:08 AM

At my location in Overgaard Az where my observatory is located, I needed an additional line to my garage/studio. I do glass art when I'm not looking at stars. My local power company put in the additional transformer that was required on their dime. I had to pay for the trench they needed which went from the existing transformer to the new one. All power in my area is below ground not above. The power company then rebated back to me 50% of my expense on the trench over the next 5 years. Sounds like you are above ground so running the line would be cheaper. It is worth it to at least call the local power company and find out what the cost is to run the line and if their are any rebates, etc.

I had an electrician run the main from the transformer to my garage. That's not something a layman should do and in fact you can't hook directly to the power company's transformer unless you are an electrician.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: rimcrazy]
      #6143338 - 10/17/13 05:11 PM

Sooner or later you will want grid power, although you might be able to get by in the nearterm for the OBS using solar. You are, after all, in primo solar country.

What you would probably do is run the lines in to the immediate proximity of the OBS/cabin using poles and overhead wires. Make sure the wires do not interfere with your views! Then the part close to the structure(s) can be buried for safety and convenience.

JimC

audioaficionado
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
      #6143944 - 10/17/13 11:08 PM

Going underground the whole way is much better in the long run. The sky views aren't the only consideration at your site. The day views are important too.

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Cosmic Acres! new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #6145164 - 10/18/13 04:16 PM

Yes, the day views are important. Only remaining concern is that on the east side of the lot, bedrock is pretty close to the surface. That whitish patch under the word "observatory" in the map view is an exposure of the rock that was bulldozed from a rock pile and now lives along the west edge of the pad. Some of those rocks are pretty big, too. I'm hoping I can use them when building the cabin in a few years.

-Tim.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7169

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics