Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
PhaedrusUpshaw

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Roofing material and construction:
      #5877263 - 05/22/13 01:02 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

I live in southern Indiana and am in the process of building an 8x12 raised deck roll off roof observatory. The deck is completed and I am beginning to wonder about roofing materials. Im trying to keep the weight to a minimum and would prefer a reflective material so as to minimize heat reflection while viewing. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Clear skies,
Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5877514 - 05/22/13 08:21 AM

My roofing is normally shingled plywood construction. at 12x20ft, it was about 2,000 lbs. Not particularly light, but I'm using a BYO motor+track to move mine. I used all BYO parts with a center mounted track, so I had to reinforce the internal wall the motor was mounted on.

At 8x12 with a light construction and low friction rollers you should be able to move an 8x12 by hand, or with a hand winch.

MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5877548 - 05/22/13 08:46 AM

I would explore some of the polycarbonate (plastics) roof panels that come in colors and various degrees of opacity.
Michael

PhaedrusUpshaw

#5877627 - 05/22/13 09:40 AM

Thank you for the prompt reply John. I am trying to stay away from asphalt shingles due to the weight, however my budget might dictate otherwise.
Clear skies,
Bill

Edited by PhaedrusUpshaw (05/22/13 01:11 PM)

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: MHamburg]
      #5877637 - 05/22/13 09:44 AM

Thanks Michael, I shall look into the polycarbonate panels. Do you think they might weigh more or less than aluminum panels of the same size.
Clear skies,
Bill

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: MHamburg]
      #5877668 - 05/22/13 10:00 AM

Quote:

I would explore some of the polycarbonate (plastics) roof panels that come in colors and various degrees of opacity.
Michael

If This is what you are referring to, I wouldn't recommend it. I have these panels over my back porch, and they become brittle and I now have many leaks where the nails (with rubber washers) secured it. I have to replace the whole thing, and will not be using these plastic panels again. Also they do not reflect the heat as well as a white metal roof would.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5877775 - 05/22/13 11:06 AM

@Carol, just for laughs, how long did it last? It look like fairly inexpensive stuff to replace. Not that I'm recommending this to anyone, just curios how it might work out...

Edited by MRNUTTY (05/22/13 11:07 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
      #5877830 - 05/22/13 11:38 AM

Quote:

I live in southern Indiana and am in the process of building an 8x12 raised deck roll off roof observatory. The deck is completed and I am beginning to wonder about roofing materials. Im trying to keep the weight to a minimum and would prefer a reflective material so as to minimize heat reflection while viewing. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Clear skies,
Bill

Bill, I used steel siding that you can get form your local building supply. I do not know if you have a Menards in Indiana yet that is where I got mine from. The siding material is nice and light weight and can be used for roofing. You do not have to sheath the roof with plywood either when using it. Once you get your roof trusses up,place 1x4's across the trusses,on top of them, every 16"'s,starting at the overhang end. Attach the steel to the trusses with a minimum 2 1/2" rubber washered screw. Your local Menards, can help with all you will need. It really saves on the weight. I do not have pic's of my observatory as it is 75 miles from where I live.Otherwise I could show you what I am talking about. Steel roofing is the way to go though for weight saving..

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

#5877928 - 05/22/13 12:24 PM

In my manually operated 8'x8' RoR observatory, I installed metal roofing (on a plywood deck) with a version of paint that allegedly reflects more IR than conventional paint. My color choice (copper) wasn't optimum, according to the advertising, but the structure doesn't get much hotter than ambient (the observatory is ventilated), and I think it looks good.

Edited by JJK (05/22/13 12:28 PM)

PhaedrusUpshaw

#5877991 - 05/22/13 01:01 PM

Thanks Carol, you have confirmed my suspicions concerning the polycarbonate panels. I was really concerned with UV derogation of that material.
Clear skies,
Bill

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: tim57064]
      #5878008 - 05/22/13 01:10 PM

Bill, I used steel siding that you can get form your local building supply. I do not know if you have a Menards in Indiana yet that is where I got mine from. The siding material is nice and light weight and can be used for roofing. You do not have to sheath the roof with plywood either when using it. Once you get your roof trusses up,place 1x4's across the trusses,on top of them, every 16"'s,starting at the overhang end. Attach the steel to the trusses with a minimum 2 1/2" rubber washered screw. Your local Menards, can help with all you will need. It really saves on the weight. I do not have pic's of my observatory as it is 75 miles from where I live.Otherwise I could show you what I am talking about. Steel roofing is the way to go though for weight saving..

Thank you Tim, I have been leaning very heavily toward the steel panels and you have clarified a few points I was confused about. We do have a Menard's but I usually shop at Lowe's because they give a military veterans discount--Gotta support anyone who supports our Vets. I shall look into your suggestion and thanks again for a comprehensive reply to my request for assistance.
Clear skies,
Bill

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
      #5878027 - 05/22/13 01:17 PM

Tim above gives a good method.....
Steel roofing is easy to get in a dozen colours, and the better suppliers can order it pre-cut to length (might have to talk to a local lumberyard, not the big-box for that)
and aluminium is still available > 2/3 the weight of steel.
Russ

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: JJK]
      #5878132 - 05/22/13 02:05 PM

Quote:

In my manually operated 8'x8' RoR observatory, I installed metal roofing (on a plywood deck) with a version of paint that allegedly reflects more IR than conventional paint. My color choice (copper) wasn't optimum, according to the advertising, but the structure doesn't get much hotter than ambient (the observatory is ventilated), and I think it looks good.

thanks for the reply and by the way what was the brand name on that paint?
Clear skies,
Bill

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: roscoe]
      #5878136 - 05/22/13 02:07 PM

Quote:

Steel roofing is easy to get in a dozen colours, and the better suppliers can order it pre-cut to length (might have to talk to a local lumberyard, not the big-box for that)
Russ

Thanks Russ, where might I find the aluminum panels you mentioned?
Clear skies,
Bill

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: roscoe]
      #5878186 - 05/22/13 02:30 PM

Quote:

Russ

Russ, I have found that the weight of the steel is negligible.I had no trouble installing the sheets myself with only the help of one person handing them up to me. I believe they will handle the weather better,ie.hail,than aluminum. My opinion anyway. Of course it is always best to have 2 people when installing.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: tim57064]
      #5878213 - 05/22/13 02:38 PM

As far as cutting the steel panels, I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond blade in it. You can also use a circular saw with a panel blade set backwards to cut the thin steel. Just make sure you have good eye protection when cutting. Others can chime in on the cutting of the steel also. I placed the cut ends up at the peek so as they would be covered by the ridge piece anyway.

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

#5878223 - 05/22/13 02:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Clear skies,
Bill

A version of Kynar. IIRC, the panels we're made by CMS. I bought them from The Roof Center. I'll look up the details tonight and upload a picture too.

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: JJK]
      #5878299 - 05/22/13 03:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Clear skies,
Bill

A version of Kynar. IIRC, the panels we're made by CMS. I bought them from The Roof Center. I'll look up the details tonight and upload a picture too.

Great, I am looking forward to your photo too.
Clear skies,
Bill

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5878539 - 05/22/13 04:51 PM

I ended up buying a electric metal sheer (scissors) on Amazon for about 30 bucks. The reviews complained about it not cutting thick metal, but it cut through steel roofing like butter. Worked great for trimming the excess off one edge.

Steel roofing is very light. My 10x10 is very easy to roll off by hand.

Chris

stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: Raginar]
      #5878583 - 05/22/13 05:10 PM

I got my metal roof panels from Home Depot , they cut them to the inch , no extra charge . If you go with Home Depot order the screws at the same time , for some reason they are double the cost in the store
Norm

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1968

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics