Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Roofing material and construction:
      #5877263 - 05/22/13 01:02 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

I live in southern Indiana and am in the process of building an 8’x12’ raised deck roll off roof observatory. The deck is completed and I am beginning to wonder about roofing materials. I’m trying to keep the weight to a minimum and would prefer a reflective material so as to minimize heat reflection while viewing. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5877514 - 05/22/13 08:21 AM

My roofing is normally shingled plywood construction. at 12x20ft, it was about 2,000 lbs. Not particularly light, but I'm using a BYO motor+track to move mine. I used all BYO parts with a center mounted track, so I had to reinforce the internal wall the motor was mounted on.

At 8x12 with a light construction and low friction rollers you should be able to move an 8x12 by hand, or with a hand winch.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5877548 - 05/22/13 08:46 AM

I would explore some of the polycarbonate (plastics) roof panels that come in colors and various degrees of opacity.
Michael


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5877627 - 05/22/13 09:40 AM

Thank you for the prompt reply John. I am trying to stay away from asphalt shingles due to the weight, however my budget might dictate otherwise.
Clear skies,
Bill

Edited by PhaedrusUpshaw (05/22/13 01:11 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: MHamburg]
      #5877637 - 05/22/13 09:44 AM

Thanks Michael, I shall look into the polycarbonate panels. Do you think they might weigh more or less than aluminum panels of the same size.
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama
*****

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: MHamburg]
      #5877668 - 05/22/13 10:00 AM

Quote:

I would explore some of the polycarbonate (plastics) roof panels that come in colors and various degrees of opacity.
Michael




If This is what you are referring to, I wouldn't recommend it. I have these panels over my back porch, and they become brittle and I now have many leaks where the nails (with rubber washers) secured it. I have to replace the whole thing, and will not be using these plastic panels again. Also they do not reflect the heat as well as a white metal roof would.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5877775 - 05/22/13 11:06 AM

@Carol, just for laughs, how long did it last? It look like fairly inexpensive stuff to replace. Not that I'm recommending this to anyone, just curios how it might work out...

Edited by MRNUTTY (05/22/13 11:07 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5877830 - 05/22/13 11:38 AM

Quote:

I live in southern Indiana and am in the process of building an 8’x12’ raised deck roll off roof observatory. The deck is completed and I am beginning to wonder about roofing materials. I’m trying to keep the weight to a minimum and would prefer a reflective material so as to minimize heat reflection while viewing. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Clear skies,
Bill


Bill, I used steel siding that you can get form your local building supply. I do not know if you have a Menards in Indiana yet that is where I got mine from. The siding material is nice and light weight and can be used for roofing. You do not have to sheath the roof with plywood either when using it. Once you get your roof trusses up,place 1x4's across the trusses,on top of them, every 16"'s,starting at the overhang end. Attach the steel to the trusses with a minimum 2 1/2" rubber washered screw. Your local Menards, can help with all you will need. It really saves on the weight. I do not have pic's of my observatory as it is 75 miles from where I live.Otherwise I could show you what I am talking about. Steel roofing is the way to go though for weight saving..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JJK
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 04/28/08

Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5877928 - 05/22/13 12:24 PM

In my manually operated 8'x8' RoR observatory, I installed metal roofing (on a plywood deck) with a version of paint that allegedly reflects more IR than conventional paint. My color choice (copper) wasn't optimum, according to the advertising, but the structure doesn't get much hotter than ambient (the observatory is ventilated), and I think it looks good.

Edited by JJK (05/22/13 12:28 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5877991 - 05/22/13 01:01 PM

Thanks Carol, you have confirmed my suspicions concerning the polycarbonate panels. I was really concerned with UV derogation of that material.
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: tim57064]
      #5878008 - 05/22/13 01:10 PM




Bill, I used steel siding that you can get form your local building supply. I do not know if you have a Menards in Indiana yet that is where I got mine from. The siding material is nice and light weight and can be used for roofing. You do not have to sheath the roof with plywood either when using it. Once you get your roof trusses up,place 1x4's across the trusses,on top of them, every 16"'s,starting at the overhang end. Attach the steel to the trusses with a minimum 2 1/2" rubber washered screw. Your local Menards, can help with all you will need. It really saves on the weight. I do not have pic's of my observatory as it is 75 miles from where I live.Otherwise I could show you what I am talking about. Steel roofing is the way to go though for weight saving..



Thank you Tim, I have been leaning very heavily toward the steel panels and you have clarified a few points I was confused about. We do have a Menard's but I usually shop at Lowe's because they give a military veterans discount--Gotta support anyone who supports our Vets. I shall look into your suggestion and thanks again for a comprehensive reply to my request for assistance.
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
roscoe
curmudgeon
*****

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5878027 - 05/22/13 01:17 PM

Tim above gives a good method.....
Steel roofing is easy to get in a dozen colours, and the better suppliers can order it pre-cut to length (might have to talk to a local lumberyard, not the big-box for that)
and aluminium is still available > 2/3 the weight of steel.
Russ


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: JJK]
      #5878132 - 05/22/13 02:05 PM

Quote:

In my manually operated 8'x8' RoR observatory, I installed metal roofing (on a plywood deck) with a version of paint that allegedly reflects more IR than conventional paint. My color choice (copper) wasn't optimum, according to the advertising, but the structure doesn't get much hotter than ambient (the observatory is ventilated), and I think it looks good.


thanks for the reply and by the way what was the brand name on that paint?
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: roscoe]
      #5878136 - 05/22/13 02:07 PM

Quote:

Tim above gives a good method.....
Steel roofing is easy to get in a dozen colours, and the better suppliers can order it pre-cut to length (might have to talk to a local lumberyard, not the big-box for that)
and aluminium is still available > 2/3 the weight of steel.
Russ



Thanks Russ, where might I find the aluminum panels you mentioned?
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: roscoe]
      #5878186 - 05/22/13 02:30 PM

Quote:

Tim above gives a good method.....
Steel roofing is easy to get in a dozen colours, and the better suppliers can order it pre-cut to length (might have to talk to a local lumberyard, not the big-box for that)
and aluminium is still available > 2/3 the weight of steel.
Russ



Russ, I have found that the weight of the steel is negligible.I had no trouble installing the sheets myself with only the help of one person handing them up to me. I believe they will handle the weather better,ie.hail,than aluminum. My opinion anyway. Of course it is always best to have 2 people when installing.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: tim57064]
      #5878213 - 05/22/13 02:38 PM

As far as cutting the steel panels, I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond blade in it. You can also use a circular saw with a panel blade set backwards to cut the thin steel. Just make sure you have good eye protection when cutting. Others can chime in on the cutting of the steel also. I placed the cut ends up at the peek so as they would be covered by the ridge piece anyway.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JJK
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 04/28/08

Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5878223 - 05/22/13 02:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

In my manually operated 8'x8' RoR observatory, I installed metal roofing (on a plywood deck) with a version of paint that allegedly reflects more IR than conventional paint. My color choice (copper) wasn't optimum, according to the advertising, but the structure doesn't get much hotter than ambient (the observatory is ventilated), and I think it looks good.


thanks for the reply and by the way what was the brand name on that paint?
Clear skies,
Bill




A version of Kynar. IIRC, the panels we're made by CMS. I bought them from The Roof Center. I'll look up the details tonight and upload a picture too.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: JJK]
      #5878299 - 05/22/13 03:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In my manually operated 8'x8' RoR observatory, I installed metal roofing (on a plywood deck) with a version of paint that allegedly reflects more IR than conventional paint. My color choice (copper) wasn't optimum, according to the advertising, but the structure doesn't get much hotter than ambient (the observatory is ventilated), and I think it looks good.


thanks for the reply and by the way what was the brand name on that paint?
Clear skies,
Bill




A version of Kynar. IIRC, the panels we're made by CMS. I bought them from The Roof Center. I'll look up the details tonight and upload a picture too.



Great, I am looking forward to your photo too.
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5878539 - 05/22/13 04:51 PM

I ended up buying a electric metal sheer (scissors) on Amazon for about 30 bucks. The reviews complained about it not cutting thick metal, but it cut through steel roofing like butter. Worked great for trimming the excess off one edge.

Steel roofing is very light. My 10x10 is very easy to roll off by hand.

Chris


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stmguy
sage


Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: Raginar]
      #5878583 - 05/22/13 05:10 PM

I got my metal roof panels from Home Depot , they cut them to the inch , no extra charge . If you go with Home Depot order the screws at the same time , for some reason they are double the cost in the store
Norm


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JJK
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 04/28/08

Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5879049 - 05/22/13 08:49 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Here's a cropped image of the Kynar-painted metal roof (which provides the look of new copper).

EDITED: These are Classic Batten Panels made by Coastal Metal Service. The color is Classic Copper (a "cool" color). From their website:

"CLASSIC BATTEN® panels are available in all of our unique COLOR LOC® Kynar 500®/Hylar 5000® painted 24 gauge steel and selected aluminum paint colors."

I installed the panels myself, and after having done it once, I now know much better how to do it. It looks fine, but I would crimp the panel ends (the ends that face you, not the standing seam ends, which click together) when it's warm out (it's hard to bend cold metal). Also, I mistakenly cut the Z-channel that keeps driving rain from coming in the top of the roof (where the panels meet the cap) into a lot of small pieces instead of simply cutting as one piece to the length of the roof (that's what happens when you're cold and tired).

This roof is a few years old and still looks new.

Edited by JJK (05/22/13 09:18 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: JJK]
      #5879137 - 05/22/13 09:43 PM

nice look!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: JJK]
      #5879151 - 05/22/13 09:57 PM

Quote:

Here's a cropped image of the Kynar-painted metal roof (which provides the look of new copper).

EDITED: These are Classic Batten Panels made by Coastal Metal Service. The color is Classic Copper (a "cool" color). From their website:

"CLASSIC BATTEN® panels are available in all of our unique COLOR LOC® Kynar 500®/Hylar 5000® painted 24 gauge steel and selected aluminum paint colors."

I installed the panels myself, and after having done it once, I now know much better how to do it. It looks fine, but I would crimp the panel ends (the ends that face you, not the standing seam ends, which click together) when it's warm out (it's hard to bend cold metal). Also, I mistakenly cut the Z-channel that keeps driving rain from coming in the top of the roof (where the panels meet the cap) into a lot of small pieces instead of simply cutting as one piece to the length of the roof (that's what happens when you're cold and tired).

This roof is a few years old and still looks new.



I like the look of having hidden fasteners. Wish I could have afforded it for my rolloff roof.I had to use the exposed screw on style.

Edited by tim57064 (05/22/13 09:59 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
roscoe
curmudgeon
*****

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5879184 - 05/22/13 10:15 PM

Aluminium roofing can be ordered from lumber yards, though I agree that it might not repel hail as well.... the steel panels are tempered or hardened somewhat, so as to resist denting. The steel ones aren't hard to handle - I've put up 18' panels by myself, but I will admit that I've installed perhaps 30 metal roofs, so I will try things that might intimidate hobby builders....
a few tricks of installing:
If you pay real close attention to purlin spacing, you can pre-drill a whole side's supply of panels at once. (I always pre-drill, it makes installing the screws a whole lot easier) Lift (not slide) the panels off the stack, to avoid scratches from metal shavings between layers.

Don't use the torque control on your cordless, a knot or hard place will release before the screw is tight, and it'll leak....tighten each screw by eye, looking for the beginning of neoprene washer bulge.
A stop-block fabricated to support the panel at the bottom edge with just the right overhang makes life a lot easier, especially on steeper roofs.
A pair of vise-grip pliers clamped on the top edge of the panel makes towing the sheet up the roof possible.
I use metal-cutting blades in a 4" angle grinder to cut panels, it's noisy, sparks and shrapnel fly out (protect your eyes and ears....) and you usually have to clean up the rough edges with a file or sander.... but it's the fastest way.....

In cooler climates, a layer of thin ply on the rafters and under the purlins will stop condensation from forming on - and dripping from....the panels.
R


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: stmguy]
      #5879334 - 05/22/13 11:45 PM

"I got my metal roof panels from Home Depot , they cut them to the inch , no extra charge" Good to know Norm, did you order the panels and screws on line?
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: JJK]
      #5879418 - 05/23/13 12:41 AM

Quote:

Here's a cropped image of the Kynar-painted metal roof (which provides the look of new copper).

EDITED: These are Classic Batten Panels made by Coastal Metal Service. The color is Classic Copper (a "cool" color). From their website:

"CLASSIC BATTEN® panels are available in all of our unique COLOR LOC® Kynar 500®/Hylar 5000® painted 24 gauge steel and selected aluminum paint colors."

I installed the panels myself, and after having done it once, I now know much better how to do it. It looks fine, but I would crimp the panel ends (the ends that face you, not the standing seam ends, which click together) when it's warm out (it's hard to bend cold metal). Also, I mistakenly cut the Z-channel that keeps driving rain from coming in the top of the roof (where the panels meet the cap) into a lot of small pieces instead of simply cutting as one piece to the length of the roof (that's what happens when you're cold and tired).

This roof is a few years old and still looks new.




JKK, The copper is a classic look, thanks for the photograph and thanks for the tips.
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: roscoe]
      #5879424 - 05/23/13 12:46 AM

Quote:

Aluminium roofing can be ordered from lumber yards, though I agree that it might not repel hail as well.... the steel panels are tempered or hardened somewhat, so as to resist denting. The steel ones aren't hard to handle - I've put up 18' panels by myself, but I will admit that I've installed perhaps 30 metal roofs, so I will try things that might intimidate hobby builders....
a few tricks of installing:
If you pay real close attention to purlin spacing, you can pre-drill a whole side's supply of panels at once. (I always pre-drill, it makes installing the screws a whole lot easier) Lift (not slide) the panels off the stack, to avoid scratches from metal shavings between layers.

Don't use the torque control on your cordless, a knot or hard place will release before the screw is tight, and it'll leak....tighten each screw by eye, looking for the beginning of neoprene washer bulge.
A stop-block fabricated to support the panel at the bottom edge with just the right overhang makes life a lot easier, especially on steeper roofs.
A pair of vise-grip pliers clamped on the top edge of the panel makes towing the sheet up the roof possible.
I use metal-cutting blades in a 4" angle grinder to cut panels, it's noisy, sparks and shrapnel fly out (protect your eyes and ears....) and you usually have to clean up the rough edges with a file or sander.... but it's the fastest way.....

In cooler climates, a layer of thin ply on the rafters and under the purlins will stop condensation from forming on - and dripping from....the panels.
R



Thank for the advice Roscoe, especially the thin ply to stop condensation from dripping off the panels.
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JJK
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 04/28/08

Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5879489 - 05/23/13 01:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Here's a cropped image of the Kynar-painted metal roof (which provides the look of new copper).

EDITED: These are Classic Batten Panels made by Coastal Metal Service. The color is Classic Copper (a "cool" color). From their website:

"CLASSIC BATTEN® panels are available in all of our unique COLOR LOC® Kynar 500®/Hylar 5000® painted 24 gauge steel and selected aluminum paint colors."

I installed the panels myself, and after having done it once, I now know much better how to do it. It looks fine, but I would crimp the panel ends (the ends that face you, not the standing seam ends, which click together) when it's warm out (it's hard to bend cold metal). Also, I mistakenly cut the Z-channel that keeps driving rain from coming in the top of the roof (where the panels meet the cap) into a lot of small pieces instead of simply cutting as one piece to the length of the roof (that's what happens when you're cold and tired).

This roof is a few years old and still looks new.




JKK, The copper is a classic look, thanks for the photograph and thanks for the tips.
Clear skies,
Bill




My pleasure.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stmguy
sage


Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: JJK]
      #5879649 - 05/23/13 07:21 AM

I went in and talked with the contractor specialist and he was a huge help as he helped me save some money as well as all the little things I didn't know about like the foam pieces that seal up the underside from bugs getting in there, the ridge cap , longer screws needed for ridge cap etc
Norm


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stmguy
sage


Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: stmguy]
      #5879672 - 05/23/13 07:35 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

If I were to do it again I might have tried to do the standing seam as HD has that also

Norm


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: stmguy]
      #5879943 - 05/23/13 10:38 AM

Quote:

I went in and talked with the contractor specialist and he was a huge help as he helped me save some money as well as all the little things I didn't know about like the foam pieces that seal up the underside from bugs getting in there, the ridge cap , longer screws needed for ridge cap etc
Norm



Thanks Norm, that is a part of my plan I am implementing today. I certainly do appreciate all the good tips.
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: stmguy]
      #5879956 - 05/23/13 10:45 AM

Quote:

If I were to do it again I might have tried to do the standing seam as HD has that also

Norm



Quite an impressive Observatory there Norm, thanks for the photograph.
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
roscoe
curmudgeon
*****

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: stmguy]
      #5879994 - 05/23/13 11:06 AM

Quote:

I went in and talked with the contractor specialist and he was a huge help as he helped me save some money as well as all the little things I didn't know about like the foam pieces that seal up the underside from bugs getting in there, the ridge cap , longer screws needed for ridge cap etc
Norm




And there is also a strip of black stuff about an inch thick and 3" wide that looks sorta like a green scrubber-pad that is made to go under the ridge cap to allow ventilation but block out bugs......
R


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stmguy
sage


Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: roscoe]
      #5880066 - 05/23/13 11:51 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

Thanks for the kind words, what you might not know is that the roof rotates

https://picasaweb.google.com/ntfredrick/ObservatoryConstruction#5825609433846...


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: stmguy]
      #5880645 - 05/23/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the kind words, what you might not know is that the roof rotates

https://picasaweb.google.com/ntfredrick/ObservatoryConstruction#5825609433846...



Quite an engineering masterpiece, I must say I wondered when I saw the first photograph!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: stmguy]
      #5881994 - 05/24/13 10:49 AM

Norm, I hate you I wish I'd thought to have Home Depot do that for me!

Good idea.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: Raginar]
      #5882863 - 05/24/13 06:33 PM

Quote:

Norm, I hate you I wish I'd thought to have Home Depot do that for me!
Good idea.



Raginar,
I have just today shopped Menard's, Lowe's and Home Depot for my metal roofing materials and HD was the only one who provided panels cut to order and I was told they would price match any other outlet including my 10% Lowe's military discount. So one needs not think to long or hard about where to order his roofing materials. I suppose you will dislike me a great deal also, however I will have to endure...
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
roscoe
curmudgeon
*****

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5882978 - 05/24/13 07:32 PM

Jus' sayin'.....most any 'local' lumber yard can order your roof cut to length, will deliver it (often free), and will be likely to already have a price comparable to the big-box, and equally likely to match it if they aren't already cheaper....
Russ


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: stmguy]
      #5911008 - 06/09/13 09:06 AM

Quote:

I got my metal roof panels from Home Depot , they cut them to the inch , no extra charge . If you go with Home Depot order the screws at the same time , for some reason they are double the cost in the store
Norm



Norm,
I ordered my white roof panels from Home Depot and got them cut to my specific dimensions. I received them in less than a week and plan on installing the roof this coming week, weather permitting. I will post a photo when completed. I want to thank everyone who posted to this thread; your assistance was invaluable.
Clear skies and of course as Jack would say, “Keep looking up!”
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5911049 - 06/09/13 09:45 AM

We will all be waiting in anticipation to see your pic's of your progress. If you can,post numerous images of the steps you take. Wishing Clear Skies for you as we have been in clouds and rain for too long.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: tim57064]
      #5911096 - 06/09/13 10:24 AM

Quote:

We will all be waiting in anticipation to see your pic's of your progress. If you can,post numerous images of the steps you take. Wishing Clear Skies for you as we have been in clouds and rain for too long.



Amen to the clouds and will do regarding the posting of the photographs.
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
roscoe
curmudgeon
*****

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5911265 - 06/09/13 12:50 PM

Quote:

I ordered my white roof panels from Home Depot and got them cut to my specific dimensions. I received them in less than a week




Did they deliver them? HD does not deliver around here.....

R


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: roscoe]
      #5911320 - 06/09/13 01:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I ordered my white roof panels from Home Depot and got them cut to my specific dimensions. I received them in less than a week




Did they deliver them? HD does not deliver around here.....

No, I had to pick them up at their store.
Clear skies,
Bill

R




Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRBILL0
sage


Reged: 01/17/13

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5936230 - 06/23/13 11:38 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

Bill,

Quite a fertile post on your observatory. I offer these 3 tips: 1) your deck framing has double "X" braces only on the ends, you should have them also on the long sides. 2) Standing seam would probably be the best choice. 3) In southern Indiana, snow can be a problem. I would recommend a steep roof pitch, like 6:12 (6" height for each 12" on the base). I am going to guess that your garage in your 1st picture is about 3:12.

The ARP Guy
Bill Pickard

"The difference between Stupidity and Genius, Genius has its limits." Albert Einstein


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: MRBILL0]
      #5937403 - 06/24/13 01:56 AM

Quote:

Bill,

Quite a fertile post on your observatory. I offer these 3 tips: 1) your deck framing has double "X" braces only on the ends, you should have them also on the long sides. 2) Standing seam would probably be the best choice. 3) In southern Indiana, snow can be a problem. I would recommend a steep roof pitch, like 6:12 (6" height for each 12" on the base). I am going to guess that your garage in your 1st picture is about 3:12.

The ARP Guy
Bill Pickard

"The difference between Stupidity and Genius, Genius has its limits." Albert Einstein




Thank you Bill, I have compensated for the lack of “X” braces along the sides of the decking by using metal banding inside the actual building, which has worked out quite well. I used a 4:12 pitch, which was twice as high as the metal roof manufacture recommended, they are based in southern Indian and are familiar with existing conditions in this area. I am now in the process of designing a winch and pulley system to open and close the roof. I am leaning toward a hand crank boat winch, however any suggestions would be greatly appreciated most especially a simple diagram laying out the pulley configuration. I am very grateful to each one of the members who have taken the time to post to this thread, all of the suggestions have been considered and a vast number of them have been incorporated into my design.
Clear skies to all and of course, “Keep looking up!”
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5937417 - 06/24/13 02:24 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

I just today finished with the exterior paneling and I am in the process of designing the winch and pulley mechanism to operate the roof. I certainty would appreciate any suggestions, especially simple diagrams of pulley systems. This project has been a very rewarding experience and I am starting to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. More photos to follow. Thank you ever so much to every one who has posted to this "fertile" thread as MR BILL put it.
Clear skies to all and of course "Keep looking up!"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRBILL0
sage


Reged: 01/17/13

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5937657 - 06/24/13 09:29 AM

Bill,
Looks like you are making good progress. Some observations:

1. In building, shear is resistance to lateral forces. In California, we are concerned about earthquakes. In Indiana I think your concern is winds. Your are providing shear to the building with the plywood siding. But the only shear on the deck framing are the front-to-back diagonals. There is no resistance to lateral forces left-to-right. You have provided temporary diagonal braces left-to-right to the roof track and permanent diagonals front-to-back. I would recommend permanent diagonals left-to-right on both the roof track and the 6x6 posts. You will have a substantial amount of weight from the deck up which will make the structure "Top-Heavy". A big wind could provide you with a lot of firewood.

2. A boat winch is a great idea especially with the twin-ratio they provide. Perhaps 2 will be needed: open/close(?). The main concern is reduction of friction rather than pulling power. Perhaps a gloss-powdercoated steel C-Channel on each track with (3) 4" poly ball-bearing wheels on each side (in-line, not swivel) would provide very easy movement. You could even install windshield wipers in front of the wheels to clear the snow on the track

3. Standing-seam mfgrs would recommend 2:12 as the MINIMUM slope to prevent water intrusion. 4:12 should be sufficient as the area is maybe 96 sq ft (8'x12')

4. Have you provided power? Coffee maker? Heater?

Looks great.

Bill Pickard

"The difference between Stupidity and Genius, Genius has its limits." Albert Einstein


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: MRBILL0]
      #5937780 - 06/24/13 10:57 AM

Quote:

Bill,
Looks like you are making good progress. Some observations:

1. In building, shear is resistance to lateral forces. In California, we are concerned about earthquakes. In Indiana I think your concern is winds. Your are providing shear to the building with the plywood siding. But the only shear on the deck framing are the front-to-back diagonals. There is no resistance to lateral forces left-to-right. You have provided temporary diagonal braces left-to-right to the roof track and permanent diagonals front-to-back. I would recommend permanent diagonals left-to-right on both the roof track and the 6x6 posts. You will have a substantial amount of weight from the deck up which will make the structure "Top-Heavy". A big wind could provide you with a lot of firewood.

2. A boat winch is a great idea especially with the twin-ratio they provide. Perhaps 2 will be needed: open/close(?). The main concern is reduction of friction rather than pulling power. Perhaps a gloss-powdercoated steel C-Channel on each track with (3) 4" poly ball-bearing wheels on each side (in-line, not swivel) would provide very easy movement. You could even install windshield wipers in front of the wheels to clear the snow on the track

3. Standing-seam mfgrs would recommend 2:12 as the MINIMUM slope to prevent water intrusion. 4:12 should be sufficient as the area is maybe 96 sq ft (8'x12')

4. Have you provided power? Coffee maker? Heater?

Looks great.

Bill Pickard

"The difference between Stupidity and Genius, Genius has its limits." Albert Einstein




Bill,
Thank you once again for the excellent suggestions. Once I started nailing up the siding my main concern has been to prevent the framing and floor from getting water logged, we have been experiencing a quite a bit of rain here in southern Indiana. Now that I have a watertight building my attention is turned toward finishing the supporting braces both for the deck and roof track. Diagonal braces for both are in the plan and I just need to settle on the exact detail regarding these supports; combating lateral shear from side to side is the primary objective. Did I mention I am designing as I go?

I am still in the design phase regarding the winch and pulley setup and would invite any suggestions regarding same. I do have C-Channel tracks installed, which have been primed, painted, and dry lubed.

I installed 5 each 3-inch inline casters on each side and lubricated them as well. I smiled at the windshield wiper suggestion. I will be installing heat tape to keep the tracks clear of ice and snow this winter.

My plan includes a small breaker box with 110-volt AC power as well as 12 volt DC battery and trickle charger. I have made provisions for both a ventilating fan and small air conditioner. The ac thermostat will be set at approximately 100 degrees to help keep from frying the computers and other electronic equipment; summer gets hot here in southern Indiana.

Regarding the coffee maker, I'm thinking ESPRESSO!

Thank you once again to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Clear skies to all and of course, “Keep looking up!”
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5937803 - 06/24/13 11:08 AM Attachment (4 downloads)

Did someone mention Espresso???

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRBILL0
sage


Reged: 01/17/13

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Roofing material and construction: new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5938344 - 06/24/13 04:39 PM Attachment (2 downloads)

Quote:

Diagonal braces for both are in the plan and I just need to settle on the exact detail regarding these supports; combating lateral shear from side to side is the primary objective




Bill,

Since you have 3 posts left-to-right, you can use treated 2x6 in the form of a "K": bottom left to top-center, top-center to bottom right. Do this in both the front and back. Use 3~4 Simpson 4" SDS screws for the ends of each 2x6. SDS screws are self-drilling and set with a 3/8" hex driver. I would recommend Hot-Dipped-Galvanized. Here is the SDS spec sheet:

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/SDS.asp

Bill Pickard

"The difference between Stupidity and Genius, Genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Edited by MRBILL0 (06/25/13 02:43 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)


Extra information
10 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 1972

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics