Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
hjd1964

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: V-groove casters & inverted angle iron? new [Re: Footbag]
      #5928853 - 06/19/13 09:33 AM

I used 1-1/2"x3/16" angle iron also, except outside I used aluminum not steel. The v-groove casters (really wheels) were from mcmaster-carr, 600# rated x 10. The angle came from metalsdepot.com, shipping was pricey. Remember snow when estimating your loads.

http://www.stellarjourney.com/index.php?r=site/observatory_construction

Howard

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: V-groove casters & inverted angle iron? new [Re: hjd1964]
      #5932120 - 06/20/13 09:46 PM

I just got my casters... Very nice and heavy. They ride nicely along the bearings as well.

I think I'm going to leave them on the plates. But how should I mount the caster plates to a top 2x6? 1 1/2"Lag bolts or drill the 2x6 for a hex head bolt? Lags would probably be easier, but they may split the wood a bit.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #5932340 - 06/21/13 12:14 AM

If you use 5/16" lag screws just use a 3/16" inch pilot hole and you won't split any wood....guaranteed. Mike

Footbag
Postmaster

Re: V-groove casters & inverted angle iron? new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5932649 - 06/21/13 08:44 AM

I was dreaming about the caters last night. I'm now up in the air over whether to remove them from the plates or not. I know people do it both ways, but by removing them, the roof may be slightly more rigid.

I need to do a mockup, but I'm not getting my rail until Monday afternoon. Too much time to think.

I also think I will have some help on Monday as well, I'd love to get the roof done Monday and Tuesday. But it's definitely a tough one. I figure we'll have to lift 200LBS over our heads and onto the track.

Footbag
Postmaster

#6076886 - 09/12/13 12:19 PM

I'm just bumping this up because it works so well. But I've discovered something that would've been easier to work on before it was mounted...

Water has a tendency to get under the angle iron and follow it back into the observatory. The solution is to fully caulk the angle iron to the flat stock, but it's been tough 16 feet above the ground. If I could do it all over again, I would've done it all before mounting it. Live and learn, or read this and know.

John Fitzgerald
In Focus

Reged: 01/04/04

Loc: AR
      #6077570 - 09/12/13 06:34 PM

I left my 10 casters on the plates, and lag screwed them into the bottom of the triple 2x12 roof side wall.

rlandsboro

Reged: 02/23/12

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ. USA
Re: V-groove casters & inverted angle iron? new [Re: John Fitzgerald]
      #6078074 - 09/13/13 12:27 AM

If you plan to leave the casters on the plates, check them for sideways movement on the axles. If you have a lot of play, you may want to use some washers to minimize any unwanted sideways movement.

John Fitzgerald
In Focus

Reged: 01/04/04

Loc: AR
Re: V-groove casters & inverted angle iron? new [Re: rlandsboro]
      #6079650 - 09/13/13 11:59 PM

You need a little sideways movement, around 1/8 inch per wheel. Otherwise, the rails will have to be perfectly aligned, and it is nearly impossible to get and keep the rails exactly parallel, especially in a long run. Mine are 33 feet long. The rails initially were parallel to less than 1/8 inch, but it has now been 5 years, and they still work well. The side play helps a lot.

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA
Re: V-groove casters & inverted angle iron? new [Re: John Fitzgerald]
      #6089725 - 09/19/13 11:03 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

Ditto.

I just welded up four 16 foot sections of inverted angle iron track, and it is virtually impossible to get it perfectly straight (or the metal plate it was attached to). Having enough play on the wheel axle will prevent significant binding up as the roof is moved, although by virtue of using V grove wheels you are not locked in as much as other wheels would cause - the wheel will also have some vertical movement in which to "ride up" a little as well.

BTW, Amazon has a great deal on 4 inch 700 lbs. load V groove caters for <$11.00 each: http://www.amazon.com/RWM-Casters-V-Groove-Bearing-Capacity/dp/B00426CB5U/ref...

Footbag
Postmaster

Re: V-groove casters & inverted angle iron? new [Re: BYoesle]
      #6089735 - 09/19/13 11:08 AM

Quote:

BTW, Amazon has a great deal on 4 inch 700 lbs. load V groove caters for <$11.00 each: http://www.amazon.com/RWM-Casters-V-Groove-Bearing-Capacity/dp/B00426CB5U/ref...

I payed close to $300 for mine. They look very similar.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: V-groove casters & inverted angle iron? new [Re: BYoesle]
      #6090051 - 09/19/13 02:12 PM

I had done a google search trying to find casters similar to these and could not find them at the price these are.I just bought 4 of them for my Observatory build. With having a 700 lb capacity for each,4 of them should be enough for my 10'x12'observatory,seeing I am intending on using steel roofing which will be much lighter than your typical asphalt shingles. Bob, a big Thanks for the link.

Edited by tim57064 (09/19/13 02:13 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2728

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics