Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
celestron20

Reged: 07/25/05

Loc: France, Paris
Security system for observatory
      #5983258 - 07/21/13 04:16 PM

Dear all,

I would like to safe my observatory using a security system.

Did you install a such system for your observatory ?

Which one ?

Thanks a lot,

Jean

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nevy
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/07/12

Loc: UK
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: celestron20]
      #5983315 - 07/21/13 05:04 PM

A big dog or a vicious looking medium dog.

Edited by nevy (07/21/13 05:05 PM)

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: nevy]
      #5983481 - 07/21/13 07:09 PM

Agreed. And get insurance for all of your equipment. In all reality, there isn't a security system that can't be circumvented in some regards. Probably the best is just some type of loud alarm.

I have a IP camera that records a view of my shed. To be honest though, it'd be tough to ID anyone on it other than to show your insurance company that it indeed was stolen.

Edited by csa/montana (07/22/13 03:13 PM)

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: Raginar]
      #5983784 - 07/21/13 10:55 PM

If u have home security, and your system can do it, you can add your OB to a seperate zone. Also cameras throughout your property. They have systems that will text/call/page you.

I guess it depends where uour OB is located?

Vagus

Reged: 04/02/11

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5983928 - 07/22/13 12:54 AM

I am looking at this : http://cabinalarm.com/ShedAlarmKit.html

J

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: Vagus]
      #5984159 - 07/22/13 09:07 AM

J.

That's really cool.

LoveChina61
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/20/09

#5984281 - 07/22/13 10:48 AM

I read of one case where some thieves walked up to a guy's observatory while he was not at home and used a power saw to cut a giant hole in the side of his observatory so they could walk right in. It didn't take them long to completely clean him out!

Instead of a guard dog, here is a picture of what I use. And they come free in Arizona This little fellar was only 30 yards from my observatory. And they carry a nice little punch as this poor visiting Aussie found out HERE

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
      #5984406 - 07/22/13 12:36 PM

I would place infrared cameras with either seismic or motion sensor so the observatory is covered from inside and out, as well as connceted to a normal alarm system. Cameras are available that will get clear images of faces and license plates regardless of weather or what hour of day or night thieves come. Run the cables through a conduit thieves cannot get to, running it underground and bringing it up inside will make it nearly impossible for them to find and cut the wires. If in a rural area, I would also use a couple of large dogs too as sentrys. I would not build an obsrvatory and leave it unattended, it would have to be where I live so I can watch the property, and deal with intruders accordingly.

Taras

Norm Meyer
sage

Reged: 02/08/09

Loc: Warren, ME 04864
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: Achernar]
      #5984416 - 07/22/13 12:44 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

How about this guy!

Edited by Norm Meyer (07/22/13 12:45 PM)

celestron20

Reged: 07/25/05

Loc: France, Paris
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: Norm Meyer]
      #5984508 - 07/22/13 01:58 PM

Thanks a lot for your answer !

I am located in France.

I would like to know if you have already put an alarm system in your observatory ? I found this one on http://www.kit-alarme-maison.com . There are motion sensor and open door sensor. Apparently, it is possible to add a camera. Did you install a such system ? If yes, how you proceed ? Astronomy is expensive and I want to protect everything.

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

#5984589 - 07/22/13 02:51 PM

Although I have never installed a security system I have considered mounting a video camera and view screen so that anyone approaching the observatory would see themselves on video. In France at least that should be enough to discourage most.

If they really want in they will get in. Talk to your insurance company and make sure you are adequately covered.

Edited by csa/montana (07/22/13 03:15 PM)

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: Lorence]
      #5984604 - 07/22/13 02:59 PM

I have 3 dummy outdoor IP cameras aimed at my obs. These cameras are very noticeable from outside my property.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5984629 - 07/22/13 03:17 PM

Folks, as a reminder; let's not get into using weapons/violence as a means of protection on the forum.

Thanks!

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5984646 - 07/22/13 03:29 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

I use one of THESE after seeing it mentioned before in this forum.

The IR light can be turned off when you're busy in the Obs, it's a wireless signal into your house (use a freeware program called "ISPY") and it will email alerts.

It is not an outdoor enclosure, but have not had a problem using it inside my Obs all year.

Here's a snapshot of my Obs

Edited by Tom and Beth (07/22/13 03:33 PM)

tadpoletoo

Reged: 04/18/11

Loc: NW Michigan
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #5984750 - 07/22/13 04:39 PM

Dont know about France, but in Michigan my observatory is considered an out building and it and contents are covered by my homeowners insurance. Doesn't hurt to have your agent out for a viewing either.

astrodog73

Reged: 02/22/13

Loc: Australia
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: tadpoletoo]
      #5985317 - 07/22/13 11:36 PM

I put an alarm in mine - I don't have continuous mains power, so use a car alarm, powered by a solar charged 12V SLA battery.... It has a vibration sensor and a reed switch for the door... cheap and available too....

Retsub

Reged: 12/08/06

Loc: Houston,Tx.
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: astrodog73]
      #5985367 - 07/23/13 12:16 AM

I put hard wired motion sensors and magnetic switches in my house and garage. Never had a false alarm. Whatever you get and use in your obs, make sure if someone quickly gets in that they can't quickly or easily disable it. If it yelps only a couple of times and is then disabled someone else may think its just a test. Looking for cameras to use is on my to-do list. Do you have security store places that sell such equipment over there ? *BW*

pstarr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/17/04

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5991780 - 07/26/13 06:27 PM

I made my own using a car alarm with some micro and magnetic switches. It runs on 12 volts DC so no worry about fire or shock. I have 120v in the building so I run it off a transformer.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: pstarr]
      #5992097 - 07/26/13 10:13 PM

I use Laser Shield. My homeowner's covers the obs and its contents.

David

Lord Beowulf
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/13/08

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5999247 - 07/30/13 10:48 PM

What timing! Yes, I'm putting an alarm system in my observatory. There is a whole new class of alarm systems out there that have wireless sensors and can be remotely monitored over a GSM cellular network. The one I bought also works over PSTN (regular wired telephone) and supports four wired zones as well. You can find a variety of choices on eBay for anywhere from $50-$200 depending on number of sensors, etc. You'll need to make sure you get the right frequency for your location. In the US, that's 433 MHz for the sensors and GSM 850/1900 for the cell phone. I've identified a number of prepaid options for SIM cards.

You can see where I'm at here. Oh, and I'll also have and eight channel DVR security camera system with remote access.

Beo

Edited by Lord Beowulf (07/30/13 10:53 PM)

228steve

Reged: 06/08/08

Loc: Reading, PA
Re: Security system for observatory new [Re: Lord Beowulf]
      #6002292 - 08/01/13 10:57 PM

As a security professional, I would suggest, putting the conntrol communicaotor in your house so it is more secure and powered by steady house current. Modern wireless systems will got to 1000ft reliably. The achilles heel of any system is the control communicator, if found the whole system can be disabled, it is better secured in the house. If it is inside the home, you can also secure your home and benefit from up to a 20% discount on your home owners insurance. Dont forget to add fire protection!

Almost all systems can be partitioned into 2 or more separate systems so you can operate both the house and the obs individually.

as for cameras, all CCTV cameras produced today are very sensitve to IR light, so getting proper illumination wont be an issue as most of the consumer available cameras have built in illuminators. Supercircuits.com is an exellent site for home security and affordable. IP video will offer megapixel resolution but you will need network between the camera and recorder; you may also give up some of the low light and IR sensitvity that you get with CCD cameras.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1371

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics