Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: Boot]
      #6102781 - 09/26/13 06:11 PM

Quote:

Beautiful! I'm jealous.

The following query is not meant to be sarcastic - it is an honest question.

Around here (Michigan), code requires the use of "Hurricane Clips" to fasten rafters to top plates, to prevent lift-off (and possible blowing away) of some or all of the roof structure. With a rolling roof-section, is there some type of loose "strapping" (perhaps looped around the track structure and moving along same when the roof rolls) to prevent such a worst-case scenario during high-winds? Or is it just "clamped-down" when not "rolled-off"?

Hello Joseph,If turnbuckles are use to secure the roof to the observatory walls,it would be satisfactory at least it is in my part of the country. Also for here,if the observatory is under 200 square feet there are no inspections as it is considered a shed. I have built one other observatory at a friends hounse and the turn buckles work great,one in each corner is plenty.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: tim57064]
      #6102853 - 09/26/13 06:52 PM

I used turnbuckles too. I've never seen in move, even in winds that quite literally ripped the roof off of local sheds. I put two on the end and thats about it..

Boot
wildly diverse musical tastes

Reged: 06/04/07

Loc: The Outernet
Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: Raginar]
      #6103139 - 09/26/13 10:09 PM

Got it. Thanks.

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA
Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: Raginar]
      #6103180 - 09/26/13 10:44 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

Hi Joseph,

Quote:

...is there some type of loose "strapping" (perhaps looped around the track structure and moving along same when the roof rolls) to prevent such a worst-case scenario during high-winds?

Yes - I had originally planned on using multiple "L" shaped straps of angle iron attached to the fascia boards. Ted came up with the following idea -- which is brilliant -- and much better at distributing any wind forces that might tend to lift the roof.

The roof eaves will be closed off with fascia boards which extend below the level of the wheels.

The fascia boards will have a 3 inch (76 mm) wide by 8 foot (2.4 m) long steel plate attached to the bottom, which will capture the track plate, which extends 1/2 inch (13 mm) over the edge of the glulam track support beam (see photo above of track wheel stop).

This will both serve as a very effective capture mechanism, as well as a bit of a weather seal. Actual pictures will follow when completed.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: tim57064]
      #6103273 - 09/26/13 11:42 PM

Quote:

turn buckles work great,one in each corner is plenty.

This is how my roof is secured, when closed.

thesungazer
Sungazer

Reged: 05/06/03

Loc: Maryland
Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6103595 - 09/27/13 07:44 AM

How will you open and close the roof, Bob?

Greg

Boot
wildly diverse musical tastes

Reged: 06/04/07

Loc: The Outernet
Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: thesungazer]
      #6103661 - 09/27/13 08:46 AM

Bob - I like that "capture" system. At worst it'd just "rattle" a bit during storm (when it's not in use, anyway).

And the best part is not having to stress over whether or not you remembered to lock 'er down after that last late-night session.

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: Boot]
      #6105808 - 09/28/13 12:02 PM

Hi Greg -- initially will be by hand (roof sections roll quite easily BTW), but I will be exploring a motorized &/or automated system. Looking at everything from garage door openers to customized motor/rack/friction-roller systems. Seems to get complicated quickly when considering automation and computer interface issues. Maybe Ill just forego that and use the KISS system.

Hi Joseph -- Yes, this will hold well even for a momentary gust if the infamous Columbia Gorge Winds kick up while open, and when closed an additional safety lock of a more traditional kind could be used - thinking of a "passive" nested pipe design or something similar.

BradleyB
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: BYoesle]
      #6106711 - 09/28/13 10:56 PM

A lot of us "wet-siders" of the mountains go to the Goldendale area to observe. At the last new moon weekend there were at least 3 small star parties in the area at the same time. The area has more reliable clear dark skies than most of the vicinity without having to drive farther. It helps that there are a few generous souls who allow these star parties on their land.

Bob, with the fire in the hills nearby there this summer in mind, will you use fire resistant siding on this?

Brad

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: BradleyB]
      #6108763 - 09/30/13 07:35 AM

Nice work in progress! Looks excellent! Loved that view of the noon sun. Looking forward to more pics.

Toml08

Reged: 01/08/11

Loc: Evergeen, CO
Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6109086 - 09/30/13 11:33 AM

Bob congrats on a great project. Can't wait to see it completed.

CS,
Tom.

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: Toml08]
      #6109378 - 09/30/13 02:42 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Thanks Markus and Tom!

Hi Brad, my counter for fire is that most all of the large trees and brush will have been cleared from the vicinity of the observatory proper. I will be using metal roofing, and maintaining an absolute 20 ft (6 M) fire break zone adjacent to the observatory.

Progress in the rain – double pane sliding window from the observatory to the warm room.

BYoesle
Post Laureate

#6109379 - 09/30/13 02:42 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

Roof capture plate as shown in diagram above.

HeyJP
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: Boulder, CO
      #6109390 - 09/30/13 02:48 PM

The roof capture plate... "Very clever, Mr. Bond!" I like that! I assume that schema extends out onto the target rails to protect against any unexpected wind gusts that come up during a session?

Jim in Boulder

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Re: MAD Observatory new [Re: HeyJP]
      #6109863 - 09/30/13 07:38 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Hi Jim,

Yes, the track overhang extends the entire length of the track to the wheel stops, and therefore the roof will be captured at all times and in any position open or closed.

The siding takes shape - rough sawn plywood siding which will have vertical battens nailed on for a "board and batten" appearance.

BYoesle
Post Laureate

#6112404 - 10/02/13 02:22 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Jessie installing insulation in the warm room.

BYoesle
Post Laureate

#6112406 - 10/02/13 02:23 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

Ted installing the exterior door.

BYoesle
Post Laureate

#6112434 - 10/02/13 03:13 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

After doing some research, I have selected the Sommer Synoris 800 direct-drive 1 HP garage door opener for motorizing the roll off roof – the 3/4 HP received an excellent review as “the best garage door opener overall” by Consumer Research http://www.consumersearch.com/garage-door-openers , and is noted to be the quietest of GDO’s on the market. They are apparently slightly slower than a traditional chain, belt, or screw drive GDO - which seems to be no big disadvantage for this purpose.

They also have one very special feature I find desirable: because the motor is located inside the carriage, the control head can be removed from the track and located up to 16 feet (4.9 m) distant from the track (requires an accessory connector adapter). Moreover, the track/carriage is specifically designed to be able to work mounted sideways, which will allow easy placement on the north and/or south walls.

See: http://www.sommer-usa.com

Deven Matlick
Vendor - Criterion Machine Co. LLC

Reged: 12/31/05

Loc: Moatsville, WV
      #6113413 - 10/02/13 03:46 PM

Don't forget vapor barrier.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
      #6114421 - 10/03/13 12:36 AM

Bob, I chose the same style,board and batten,vertical siding.I chose to use 1/2" 4'x8' cdx plywood. What thickness did you choose? For me it was the least expensive choice. I have yet to attach it as the weather has changed for a few days and want to paint it first for the best protection possible.
Since it is so close to the colder seasons now, painting outside is not preferred under 60 degrees.

Edited by tim57064 (10/03/13 12:39 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6881

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics