Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6126143 - 10/08/13 11:51 PM

Carol,Hello again.We have got to quit meeting like this. Sorry,Bad ,very bad attempt at humor.

In all seriousness, I called the electric company today and they are supposedly going to call me back tomorrow so I will see what happens then. If they do return my call,I am thinking I will ask or suggest the possibility of putting up a screen/shade of some kind to block the light intrusion. Thanks again for your continued help and advice.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: stmguy]
      #6126166 - 10/09/13 12:06 AM

Thanks your your replies Bob, Chris-SD. As I just stated in my reply to Carol, I did call the electric company and we will see what comes from that.

Norm,Thanks for your reply. I haven't gotten that far yet,as far as finishing off the interior.Though as I said in my statement last night,the light intrudes so terribly that it actually shines directly in my eyes. As the OBS has yet to be finished,hopefully in the next couple of days,I will have a solution for the light intrusion by then. A shield on the street light fixture may be a good choice yet not sure,since I can clearly see the entire fixture. Will just have to wait and see.

You know before I was given the okay to build,by my better half,that particular light was not a problem as I was closer to the ground. You don't realize how 2' in height really changes your field of view and the the problems that may arise. Oh well,I will deal with it one way or another.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6126180 - 10/09/13 12:21 AM Attachment (46 downloads)

Okay,an slight update. I spent an hour and a half this morning squaring up the plates attached to the casters of which the roof rafters will be attached to. After which I was finally able to get started on the roof structure itself.
I was able to get 6 of the 8 main rafters up on the building along with the very small ridge beam,a little over 2 feet long. Also was able to get 2 of the 4 Hip rafters up.
Will see how far I can get tomorrow,hopefully by the end of the day I will have at least half of the roof sheathing up.
Rain suppose to be on the way again on Friday then clear for the weekend,yet colder, then rain again Monday and Tuesday, so I need to have the roof sealed up.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6126200 - 10/09/13 12:35 AM Attachment (41 downloads)

As you can see in the last image,I just ran the rafters long and will take care of them just before I sheath the roof. As I said before,this is my first attempt at building a Hip roof. When I had gotten the first 2 sets of rafters up with the ridge beam, I stepped back to take a look at it. What the heck,when facing the front of the building while standing on my deck near my shop,it was clear that the ridge was not level. Long story short,one of the rafters was out away from the building too far causing the lean. Took at least 40 minutes to figure that out and take care of it.

You know,I think building Our kitchen cabinets and cedar chests and things of that nature are easier than putting up a building by yourself.

Here is another shot of a different angle of what I was able to get done today.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6126207 - 10/09/13 12:39 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

One last image showing the days accomplishments.

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

#6126291 - 10/09/13 02:32 AM

Any dew that forms on a hip roof can flow off the edge into the observatory unless the roof rolls far enough off the building or you install a small gutter to catch the water.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: JJK]
      #6126556 - 10/09/13 08:57 AM

JJK, Thank you for your reply. The roof length is 13 feet and with that in mind prior to building,I made the outriggers,hopefully long enough to handle that.They extend off the building to 13 feet 9 inches.

Not a bad idea though to attach a gutter all around so that the occasional torrential rain coming off the roof is properly taken care of. Thanks again.

Edited by tim57064 (10/09/13 09:06 AM)

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
      #6128262 - 10/10/13 01:18 AM

Looking good TIM , I like the Hip Roof design

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Megabusa]
      #6128626 - 10/10/13 09:31 AM Attachment (34 downloads)

Thanks Nate,I like the design also. The thing I am finding that I do not like,is having never built this style of roof before ,it is a pain and takes way too long.I was hoping to be installing the roofing by now. Yesterday I was only able to get half of the creeper rafters up. Having a second pair of experienced hands on this particular style of roof,would be a more enjoyable experience.

The other thing is,I have a son that loves to pointing out what I could have done better. Now he has a family of his own and beside his regular job, he is continually working side jobs as he has been a full time construction contractor in the past.
I love the kid yet as the saying goes,"Don't you just love to hate em ?" Loads of advice after the fact.

Edited by tim57064 (10/10/13 09:40 AM)

Megabusa
professor emeritus

#6129014 - 10/10/13 12:39 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

When I built My house I went Hip Roof , mainly because of the winds here , and I like the looks better , On a ROR design I think the Hip is better , you don't have the Gable side of the Wall sticking up , I would think it would be easier to make a close and even gap all the way round also, And yes I would agree some times a Hip could be a challenge , When I lived in Louisiana I built My Wife a 14' round Gazebo , From the top of Brass Cone that I used to close in the top to the bottom of the Roof was 18'-6" , What a steep Pitch , My Storage Buildings and My Control-Room on My Obs is a Hip Roof design , I guess you can say we are all(HIP) here

Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
      #6129026 - 10/10/13 12:43 PM

Very nice! I remember building the roof on my observatory. It was the first roof I've ever done. After a few days of reading and watching you-tube videos, I got it done in 3hrs.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Footbag]
      #6129490 - 10/10/13 05:01 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

I used 2x6 framing in my roofs also. I wanted all the weight I could muster up. Mine would have also been hips but I wanted to match the house inch for inch right down to the slightest detail. That way it doesn't look like an after thought. Also I used architectural grade asphalt shingles to match the house. They weigh more than standard asphalt shingles and withstand heavy hail also! Mike

Edited by mikey cee (10/10/13 05:06 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Footbag]
      #6129925 - 10/10/13 09:28 PM

Quote:

Very nice! I remember building the roof on my observatory. It was the first roof I've ever done. After a few days of reading and watching you-tube videos, I got it done in 3hrs.

Three hours! Come on now,I have been working on mine for the past 3 days. Did you use pre built trusses then? I have done a bit of construction in my time yet never a hip roof before. How big is your roof. I believe I followed your build yet do not remember.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6129955 - 10/10/13 09:43 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

Well hello again to all.
I did the best I could today.
Tried to get the roof totally enclosed, yet,with the 2 separate nail guns jamming up and finding out the nails I had were junk,all I could do is finish off the creepers that were left to do from yesterday and get all but 4 small pieces of the roof sheathing attached. No felt on yet so if it rains tomorrow ,as it is suppose to will be dealing with water again.
Sorry folks,I guess I not only tend to ramble on in person, I do it here also. Here is a pic from today.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6129958 - 10/10/13 09:44 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Another angle.

Edited by tim57064 (10/10/13 09:45 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6129963 - 10/10/13 09:46 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

One last shot for the day.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: mikey cee]
      #6130174 - 10/10/13 11:33 PM

Mike / mikey cee as you can see now, I opted not to build the split roof design. My wife had a little to do with that.She said that it looked like wings and did not like it. I had drawn up quick sketch for her to get an idea of what it would look like.
If I had gone ahead with the split,I would not be as far along as I am now. I think it would have looked cool though with the 4"x6" timber framed outrigger roof supports,mortised and tenoned together, I had planned.
As always,thanks for your reply.

Edited by tim57064 (10/11/13 09:55 AM)

Megabusa
professor emeritus

#6130307 - 10/11/13 01:31 AM

Tim it looks like you got the heavy stuff done , Its coming along good , When I was at this point with mine , I went down to one Ibuprofen a day from three

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6130530 - 10/11/13 08:20 AM

Ah, yes, Ibuprofen. A must for building an observatory. I am lucky that I am beyond that point!

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: Aquarist]
      #6130659 - 10/11/13 09:52 AM

We had a little bit of rain this morning ,not enough to leak thru the seams of the roof sheathing.Winds are suppose to gust to 40 mph today so I am glad I got the full size sheets up yesterday.
My neighbor dropped off some 30 lb tar paper this morning! A few days ago he told me not to buy any as he had some that he has had for a while and had no use for it.
So as soon as I know the rain has passed,I will be out there to finish up the few pieces of roof sheathing that are left and put the paper on.
Do not think I will attempt installing the steel roofing though with the winds as high as they are,at least not by myself. That stuff will cut right thru ya.

I also have been on the Ibuprofen regimen. Times though it does not help much.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16208

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics