Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #6223642 - 11/29/13 03:35 PM

Quote:

Almost 20 years ago I built a 10x12 ROR using plans from a British astro book. It recommended using translucent fiberglass panel for the roof so light would come in.

This is what the guy building my shed suggested! For the exact reason you describe, I thought it a bad idea. I've decided on an off white.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: bremms]
      #6223950 - 11/29/13 06:16 PM

Mine's beige.....I ordered white when I began the build, and when it arrived, it was just too 'white', so I got beige. On an unfinished pine structure, it looks good..... (the white pieces make great firewood covers....)
R

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: dawziecat]
      #6224038 - 11/29/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Almost 20 years ago I built a 10x12 ROR using plans from a British astro book. It recommended using translucent fiberglass panel for the roof so light would come in.

This is what the guy building my shed suggested! For the exact reason you describe, I thought it a bad idea. I've decided on an off white.

Very bad idea! I had those on my back porch enclosure, and talk about heat buidup! Wow! I've now got metal roofing on it.

Lord Beowulf
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/13/08

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6224431 - 11/30/13 12:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Very bad idea! I had those on my back porch enclosure, and talk about heat buidup! Wow! I've now got metal roofing on it.

Not to mention they are much harder to prevent leaking.

Beo

Orion58
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/28/11

Loc: Southern Wisconsin
      #6228698 - 12/02/13 09:56 AM

Hi Terry - I chose forest green simply because it matches our house well. I would strongly suggest building it with a full length ridge vent for ventilation. I also installed reflective foil insulation underneath to help get rid of summer's heat.

Regarding the dark color - I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer and the inside of my observatory has never been warmer than the outside temp. The airflow through the ridge vent combined with the reflective insulation does the trick.

Also, at your latitude, summer heat should be a very minor issue.

Good luck with your project!

Edited by Orion58 (12/02/13 09:59 AM)

Samir Kharusi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/14/05

Loc: Oman
      #6236837 - 12/06/13 08:52 AM

I have found it next to impossible to seal both the steel roof ROR observatories I built. First one had intentionally open louvres to aid ample ventilation, the second was as sealed as practicable; basically with only 3 open cut-outs about 4x6" to allow the rails and rollers to pass through. The roof this time is one of those insulated metal sandwiches. Even though it is a darkish sandy beige, prepainted from the factory, the temperature inside remains close to ambient all the time. Anyway, in our corner of the world regardless of what color we start with, six months later any flattish surface acquires the color of the surrounding dust and sand. That also dictates what a sensible color of the walls should be if one wants to avoid repainting for years. I found that with this color (using textured paint) I managed to avoid a repaint for 20 years for an apartment block I built 25 years back. Sold it off some 5 years ago and the new owner, rather foolishly (?) repainted it white. Costly repaints every 5 years... Here is my magical sand/dust color:

I expect that with Nova Scotia weather you'll have nothing to worry about as regards temperature. I also suspect that fairly good sealing will be required to keep mice and squirrels from chewing the wiring of that AP1600 you are getting...

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: Samir Kharusi]
      #6237006 - 12/06/13 10:26 AM

I absolutely love the color you have! Very pleasing to the eye, and as you said, low on maintenance of repainting!

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: Samir Kharusi]
      #6237137 - 12/06/13 11:21 AM Attachment (4 downloads)

Quote:

I also suspect that fairly good sealing will be required to keep mice and squirrels from chewing the wiring of that AP1600 you are getting...

Hi Samir:

LOL! I resigned myself many years ago to tolerating the mice. And the squirrels.

Wiring? I don't want to think about my house wiring! House hasn't burned down yet. The car is another story entirely! While it hasn't "burned down," it was limping on 5 cylinders recently. Mouse or squirrel had chomped up an ignition wire.

It's not the first time!

Back on topic: My steel roofing colour would fit right in in Muscat!

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

#6237160 - 12/06/13 11:28 AM

gray for me, because it matched the color of my house
then I repainted the house a tan/brown

oh well, really does not make that much difference
whatever you like- unless you live in a really hot place

edj

John Fitzgerald
In Focus

Reged: 01/04/04

Loc: AR
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: edwincjones]
      #6239780 - 12/07/13 07:58 PM

My roll off roof is bright galvanized steel. No heat problems, stays near or below ambient.

Ian Robinson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/09

Loc: 33S , 151E
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: John Fitzgerald]
      #6239805 - 12/07/13 08:22 PM

My opinion is that you need a very optically reflective roof, ie Colorbond zinc (galvanized)silver colour which will reflect sun light and not absorb most of the radiant heat in the sunlight incident on it.

This will result in the observatory being not as hot in the day in summer and quicker observatory cooling time at night (less trapped heat to radiate, conduct and convect away).

theflop

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: Ortonville, MI
      #6240039 - 12/07/13 11:28 PM

My metal roof is blue... real nice!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14391998@N08/8532974005/

theflop

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: Ortonville, MI
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: theflop]
      #6240042 - 12/07/13 11:31 PM

I am at 42 North latitude. No heating issues and the snow rolls of of the roof in the winter real nice due to the color!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14391998@N08/8534072602/

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/30/08

Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: theflop]
      #6240192 - 12/08/13 02:44 AM

To cover the wafer board I put about 5 coats of Snow White.
On ever seam I used 3" fiber glass tape. There's only been 1
small leak in the 4 years it's been up. In the summer the
Snow White keeps the heat out and in the winter It keeps the heat in what little there is. Light weight and no nails
coming through the roof. De Lorme

pstarr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/17/04

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: John Fitzgerald]
      #6241471 - 12/08/13 08:04 PM

Quote:

My roll off roof is bright galvanized steel. No heat problems, stays near or below ambient.

Are you serious?. Galvanized steel left in the sun gets hot enough to fry an egg on. I spent 36 years as a sheet metal worker. We did plenty of ductwork jobs on roofs and the stuff gets so hot in the sun, you can hardly touch it. This was in the northeast, Arizona sun has to be even worst.

Spectral Joe

Reged: 02/28/11

Loc: Livermore CA
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: pstarr]
      #6241789 - 12/08/13 11:06 PM

The perfect surface for a roof that you want to stay cool in sunlight will have 1) high reflectivity in the visible, where the greatest amount of solar energy reaches the Earth's surface, and 2) high emissivity in the long wave infrared, so what energy is absorbed gets re-radiated to the sky, which, on the average, is cold even in the daytime. A convenient material having both of these characteristics is titanium dioxide, the pigment in most white paints. A polished metal roof might seem a better choice, but will have a reflectivity only slightly higher than TiO2 (if at all) and an emissivity much lower. It won't be able to get rid of the heat absorbed. Science says to go with a TiO2 pigment white paint.

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: Spectral Joe]
      #6242226 - 12/09/13 09:16 AM

Absolutely! The white paint is the way to go. Metal is highly reflective, but also has a high heat capacity.

Charlie B

CMacD

Reged: 01/23/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: Spectral Joe]
      #6242695 - 12/09/13 01:44 PM

Quote:

Science says to go with a TiO2 pigment white paint.

Any idea why the big boys buck the science and have big shiny domes?

rimcrazy
sage

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Overgaard, AZ
Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: CMacD]
      #6242705 - 12/09/13 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Science says to go with a TiO2 pigment white paint.

Any idea why the big boys buck the science and have big shiny domes?

Paint is expensive, heavy and a maintenance item. I would guess the detractors outweigh the benefit. Most modern telescopes are being built with highly ventilated domes like the DCT. They can rapidly cool down with simply moving the air around the telescope so any thermal dissipation gains/losses due to the color of the dome becomes moot.

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

Re: Metal roof color? new [Re: rimcrazy]
      #6242763 - 12/09/13 02:19 PM

I installed a standing seam metal roof on my RoR observatory. It had Kynar paint on it that had the appearance of new soft copper. The brochure suggested the paint had good thermal properties (good emissitivity), and the structure doesn't overheat.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2059

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics