Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
elbee
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/02/09

Loc: Arizona
Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: CCD-Freak]
      #6248036 - 12/11/13 10:51 PM

I never underestimate the power of wind and water! it is infrequent, but I can get gusts of 40+ mph on occasion.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stargaz18
sage

Reged: 01/04/11

Loc: Wichita Falls, TX
      #6248104 - 12/11/13 11:27 PM

I know what you mean CCD! We had 100+ mph winds here with just a thunderstorm. Never seen anything like it except in a hurricane.

1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: Stargaz18]
      #6248123 - 12/11/13 11:43 PM

My ROR has turnbuckles. It's withstood 70 mph gusts with no problem. The Obs is on top of my garage and the peak of the roof is probably 20' above the ground so if it was gonna blow off it would have done it.

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA
Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: 1965healy]
      #6249124 - 12/12/13 01:54 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

I used a rail system similar to Dean's which ensures the roof is always very securely captured in any open position or fully closed.

astrodog73

Reged: 02/22/13

Loc: Australia
Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: BYoesle]
      #6249712 - 12/12/13 07:01 PM

If I were building again, I'd incorporate a system like Deans/Bobs - excellent design.... I'd have holes predrilled to slip some long 3/8 or 1/2" bolts through for inclement weather insurance as well....

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: 1965healy]
      #6249718 - 12/12/13 07:04 PM

Quote:

My ROR has turnbuckles. It's withstood 70 mph gusts with no problem.

Same here, and if the ROR goes, I won't worry, because the roof on my house would probably also be gone.

Alex McConahay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/11/08

Loc: Moreno Valley, CA
      #6259779 - 12/18/13 10:18 AM

We have a set of fifteen observatories at our club. Most of us have some kind of tie downs. Mine are simple gate latches. When the roof is closed, I simply slide the latch into the hole drilled in the side beam. Never had a problem.

There seem to be two kinds of answers in this thread. One is about the roof blowing off. The other is about it blowing open. As for blowing off, most of our observatories have nylon wheels running in some kind of C channel.(The wheel is captured both top and bottom. )So we have no blow off issues.

However, if we do not properly secure our roofs, we have had them blow open in a strong desert wind.

Alex

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: Alex McConahay]
      #6260779 - 12/18/13 07:21 PM

This is all very interesting stuff. We are still planning our build, and I am madly saving pictures from this thread. Strong winds are not the norm here, but, 100 knots does happen at least once each winter. I've been pondering how to do things so that a roof that moves, cant blow off easily, and ideally doesn't require human intervention to set locks in place, which kind of defeats the concept of automated observatory.

I really like the rails with keepers concepts.

rlandsboro

Reged: 02/23/12

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ. USA
Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: groz]
      #6260816 - 12/18/13 07:45 PM

On my small roll-off (which I open by hand) I cut 3/4" x 3/4" slots in the outsides of the horizontal beams that support the roof when it rolls off. The moving roof portion then has L-shape metal lagged into it that fits into these slots with just enough clearance that it will not impede easy movement. Thus there is nothing I need to do to prevent the roof from blowing off - since the metal cannot escape the slot. Then when the roof is closed I use a padlock for security that prevents the roof from opening - either by people or strong wind. (I probably got the ideas here.)

Edited by rlandsboro (12/18/13 08:47 PM)

Orion58
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/28/11

Loc: Southern Wisconsin
Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: elbee]
      #6260891 - 12/18/13 08:38 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Hi Lee

My solution was to install these near the four corners. Each of these consists of two ½ inch eyebolts, 12 inches in length with a ½ inch turnbuckle securing them. The top eyebolt goes completely through the beam and with washers/double nuts on the exterior side.

One thing to remember is that the system is only as strong as its weakest link. In this case it is the lag screws that secure the bottom framework into the studs. In my situation the system only needs to be strong enough to hold the roof in place until the first metal roof panel is torn off – in which case the uplift decreases.

This is likely a bit of overkill but I always sleep soundly even when the wind is howling. ..

Orion58
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/28/11

Loc: Southern Wisconsin
Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: elbee]
      #6260902 - 12/18/13 08:42 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Another view

Galaxyhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/06

Loc: Northern Illinois
      #6260903 - 12/18/13 08:43 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Quote:

We have a set of fifteen observatories at our club. Most of us have some kind of tie downs. Mine are simple gate latches. When the roof is closed, I simply slide the latch into the hole drilled in the side beam. Never had a problem.

There seem to be two kinds of answers in this thread. One is about the roof blowing off. The other is about it blowing open. As for blowing off, most of our observatories have nylon wheels running in some kind of C channel.(The wheel is captured both top and bottom. )So we have no blow off issues.

However, if we do not properly secure our roofs, we have had them blow open in a strong desert wind.

Alex

Here is how I deal with the "Blow Open" problem. It is a simple gravity activated latch, something like a door latch. I use a DC motor to "Unlock" the roof, This pulls the latch rod out from under the latch. Then the roof can be opened. When I'm closing the roof, I reverse the DC motor to raise the latch rod. When the roof comes to the closed position, The latch plate pushes the rod down until it finds the hole in the latch plate. Then the rod raised into the hole to lock the roof closed.

LoveChina61
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/20/09

Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: Galaxyhunter]
      #6261482 - 12/19/13 08:49 AM

I was concerned that my roof might blow off while trying to roll it shut. Call me paranoid, but the desert winds can pick up suddenly. I envisioned my roof flying off like a kite. My observatory is 12ft long so I went ahead and purchased two more 14-15ft V-rails just like the rails that my roof rollers ride upon.

I mounted them up near the top of the wall with one lip of the V-rails protruding straight out. This formed a lip that enabled me to then hang a pair of some very strong "L" shaped brackets (3/8" steel) to ride along under the lip of the rail.

This is similar to the idea mentioned above in BYoesle's post. I was able to remotely operate the observatory's webcam to snap the picture below. Sorry I can't come up with a better picture right now. The blue arrow points to the V-rail which begins here and runs along the top of the wall towards the left another 14ft or so. The red arrow is pointing to the strong "L" brackets that ride under the lip of the protruding V-rail.

I did the same thing on the opposite wall of the observatory so that both sides of the roof will be held secure as the roof rolls open and shut. I am not as concerned about the roof flying off in the left-to-right direction cause my garage door motor set up grips it tightly and prevents it from flying off in that direction. But I don't want the roof flying straight up like a kite. All along the route, the roof is now held securely in place. These "L" brackets have gone a long way in helping me feel secure. It only cost about $50 for both of the extra rails so it was a relatively cheap and easy fix.

tuo
journeyman

Reged: 02/10/13

Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: LoveChina61]
      #6262513 - 12/19/13 07:26 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Here is my solution. Got the locks cheap in the bay, normally used for car hangers. One on each corner, and two on the outside (pictured) to secure the roof when open.

regards

Ulrik

tuo
journeyman

Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: tuo]
      #6262516 - 12/19/13 07:27 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

And inside

Alex McConahay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/11/08

Loc: Moreno Valley, CA
      #6262617 - 12/19/13 08:39 PM

>>>>>normally used for car hangers.

What is a car hanger? Sorry, I just cannot figure it out.

Alex

tuo
journeyman

#6262664 - 12/19/13 09:11 PM

Sorry, english is not my native tongue.

Is car trailer correct? The thing you hang on your car to carry stuff

Edit:
this

Edited by tuo (12/19/13 09:14 PM)

rlandsboro

Reged: 02/23/12

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ. USA
      #6262677 - 12/19/13 09:20 PM

It almost looks like what I would call a hitch lock. You raise a lever to seat your hitch on the ball, then lower the lever to lock the hitch to the ball. Then you pass this lock pin through the hole under the lever. Then the lever cannot raise and release the ball. It's a common item - some are made with keyed locks.

But with the small mounting plates, this particular item looks like a small but complete 2-piece trailer hitch - but not for over the road use. More likely for a small garden trailer and atv?

Edited by rlandsboro (12/19/13 09:25 PM)

vsteblina
sage

Reged: 11/05/07

Loc: Wenatchee, Washington
      #6262679 - 12/19/13 09:21 PM

I used screw in turnbuckles. Then the eight by eight metal roof went for a "walk" one windy night. It missed my wife's brand new Honda Accord by a foot, the neighbors car by two feet and ended up a half block away.

Thankfully, it was outside of town so mostly rural.

I replace all the turnbuckels with large C-Clamps.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: do you worry about a roll off roof blowing off? new [Re: vsteblina]
      #6262758 - 12/19/13 10:29 PM

Wow, did you take pictures?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1955

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics