Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
BradH
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/19/04

Loc: Spencer, Indiana
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: khoferer]
      #916161 - 04/17/06 07:43 PM

Very nice guys its nice to a lot of observatories out there.

Brad

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skookum

Reged: 03/04/05

Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: BradH]
      #923995 - 04/22/06 11:34 PM

This it what I intend to build in my back yard.

This is what I intent to put in it...

I like the non-dome-shaped rotating roof however. Ah yes, designing can be really fun...

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: skookum]
      #924556 - 04/23/06 11:34 AM

Quote:

I like the non-dome-shaped rotating roof

Nice graphics - could you explain above? Looks like a slide-off

Good luck with your project

skookum

Reged: 03/04/05

Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: nytecam]
      #925650 - 04/24/06 03:01 AM

Yep, really simple. The roof is supported by the standard posts which are not shown in the pic. The telescope is an 18" cassegrain.

nytecam
Postmaster

Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: skookum]
      #925660 - 04/24/06 03:20 AM

Quote:

Yep, really simple. The roof is supported by the standard posts which are not shown in the pic. The telescope is an 18" cassegrain.

Great - that will be a massive focal length and image scale! Good luck - and there's me using a focal reducer down to 2m fl to get 'more sky in'

nytecam
Postmaster

Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Bob Antol]
      #925676 - 04/24/06 04:04 AM

Quote:

Stargate 4173 at Grimaldi Tower

Stunning observatory Robert - and as an architect myself nice to see those rare detailed pro drawings on this forum What is your current scope within?

Bob Antol

Reged: 10/07/05

Loc: Poughquag, New York
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: nytecam]
      #926233 - 04/24/06 02:30 PM

Quote:

Stunning observatory Robert - and as an architect myself nice to see those rare detailed pro drawings on this forum What is your current scope within?

I currently have a 10 year old 8-inch Meade LX-50. When my wife and I sat down with the architect to explain what we wanted, I indicated I was going to get a 16 foot Ash-Dome. My wife looked at me, then at my telescope, and then said "Isn't that telescope rather small for a 16 foot dome?"

I then replied, "Ah, I guess I will have to upgrade the scope then!"

Little did she know of my plans to upgrade She walked right into that one!

I would like to upgrade to a 14-inch RCX400. I will be waiting a year or so to do this for 2 reasons:

(1) I would like to purchase an RCX400 with all the enhancements that current owners are asking for, and
(2) finances! I mean, I just built this observatory and new addition onto the existing house. Can you imagine?

BradH
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/19/04

Loc: Spencer, Indiana
      #926354 - 04/24/06 03:57 PM

Bob

I looked at your pictures from your website all i can say is wow very very nice. I only have a LX200 12"gps maybe I can move in until you get your 14"

Brad

nytecam
Postmaster

#927122 - 04/25/06 04:17 AM

Quote:

I would like to upgrade to a 14-inch RCX400. I will be waiting a year or so to do this for 2 reasons:

(1) I would like to purchase an RCX400 with all the enhancements that current owners are asking for, and
(2) finances!.....

The RCX400's a nice scope Robert - reviewed by colleague Nik Szymanek for UK Astronomy Now last autumn - I would have got if not on vacation when editor rang. Won't be upgrading myself from LX200 as I don't need a wider field for DSO etc - mine's mostly VS stellar + spectro

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Rick Needham]
      #927129 - 04/25/06 04:30 AM Attachment (1087 downloads)

Well, here is "my" observatory (well, it isn't mine personally, I just serve on the board of supervisors to help run the place). It is Hyde Memorial Observatory, a free public facility located in Lincoln, Nebraska. The structure consists of an observing deck with roll-off roof, a central connecting segment with restrooms, hallways, and audio/visual room, and a main lecture hall (the part sitting under the high pointed roof with the solar panels on it). The deck currently houses a C14 SCT, an 8 inch f/6 Newtonian, and a NexStar 11GPS SCT, along with a solar projection telescope. We also have a Coronado PST and an Edmund Astroscan RFT. The facility is open to the public each Saturday night, as well as at other times by reservation.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: David Knisely]
      #927131 - 04/25/06 04:32 AM Attachment (859 downloads)

Here is a shot of Hyde Observatory with the roof rolled back. The observatory is owned by the city of Lincoln, but is run by volunteers mainly from the Prairie Astronomy Club.

David Knisely
Postmaster

#927134 - 04/25/06 04:35 AM Attachment (704 downloads)

Here is a shot of the observing deck from the hill east of the facility. You can just see the C14 peeking out (has to be level before we open or close the roof). You can also see the solar power panels on the roof and electrical systems on the side of the observatory used to generate electrical power to help, "make our meter run backwards".

David Knisely
Postmaster

#927135 - 04/25/06 04:37 AM Attachment (747 downloads)

Here is a shot of the observing deck with a fellow volunteer manning the C14. The NexStar 11 sits to its right and the 8 inch Newtonian is out of the picture to the lower left...

Rick Needham
Vendor (ExploraDome)

Reged: 09/20/05

Loc: Fort Ann, NY
      #927151 - 04/25/06 05:03 AM

Very sharp! Thanks David for sharing these photos!

Rick

Richard B. Drumm
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/14/05

Loc: Albemarle Co. Virginia
Re: Hyde Memorial Observatory new [Re: David Knisely]
      #927283 - 04/25/06 09:22 AM

David:
NIce place ya got there! I like the roll roof arrangement, using part of the rest of the building to hold it up. I like the way you dealt with the downspout on the corner, allowing it to "break" when rolling the roof.

How much did the solar electric panels cost and how much ROI (return on investment) does it make? How long till it pays for itself? With gas prices going through the roof the cost of everything is going to skyrocket. Solutions such as those PV panels will make more and more sense as we go along.
Thanks!
Rich

Strgzr
sage

Reged: 04/16/06

Loc: Apache Junction, Arizona
      #927614 - 04/25/06 12:57 PM

Thats a Great looking observatory David!
Your town must be very proud!

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: Hyde Memorial Observatory new [Re: Richard B. Drumm]
      #927928 - 04/25/06 05:08 PM

Quote:

David:
NIce place ya got there! I like the roll roof arrangement, using part of the rest of the building to hold it up. I like the way you dealt with the downspout on the corner, allowing it to "break" when rolling the roof.

How much did the solar electric panels cost and how much ROI (return on investment) does it make? How long till it pays for itself? With gas prices going through the roof the cost of everything is going to skyrocket. Solutions such as those PV panels will make more and more sense as we go along.
Thanks!
Rich

Well, it was a cooperative demonstration project between the Observatory and the Lincoln Electric System, so I don't know all the cost details (it was rather expensive however). During the day, the panels feed an inverter and the system generates enough power to "make our meter run backwards" a bit, but at night, the meter runs the right way as we tap commercial power. Still, for reducing peak loads, it is somewhat viable, although somewhat expensive. Clear skies to you.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: Hyde Memorial Observatory new [Re: David Knisely]
      #928600 - 04/26/06 02:56 AM

Well, we had a board meeting tonight, and I found out that the Solar panel power system cost about $25,000 to purchase and install. It provides about 2 kW of power (up to 2.8 kW on occasion). Clear skies to you.

Posaunist

Reged: 09/17/03

Loc: Arkansas, US
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Rick Needham]
      #933725 - 04/29/06 12:16 PM Attachment (1069 downloads)

My observatory was completed last summer. It was to replace my "astroshed" which had not faired well in our spring storms. What was perceived as an approximately month-long project turned into an all summer job. I've attached a photo, but the construction log and internal photos can be viewed from here: Click on "Observatory"

Rick Needham
Vendor (ExploraDome)

Reged: 09/20/05

Loc: Fort Ann, NY
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Posaunist]
      #935066 - 04/30/06 02:45 PM

Simply awesome Posaunist Well thought out design!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 180831

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics