Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: << 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | (show all)
bhedges

Reged: 10/27/12

Loc: Nebraska
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: RobertED]
      #5496831 - 10/30/12 08:29 PM

Thanks, I know I wouldn't use the 11" nearly as much if I didn't have a permanent location for it. I did buy an mount adapter for the pier so I can easily take it to the field if I want to. It's a retirement gift to myself so I'm looking forward to using it a lot when I retire in a few months.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johne
sage

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ.
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: bhedges]
      #5497456 - 10/31/12 09:08 AM

Quote:

I uploaded a short video of my observatory on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Rkf8SnYXs

That video is very well done. You have a nice talent for video production.

bhedges

Reged: 10/27/12

Loc: Nebraska
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: johne]
      #5497895 - 10/31/12 02:53 PM

Thanks, it really helps to have great music to edit it to.

Escher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Fenton, MI
      #5540177 - 11/26/12 11:46 AM

Not the best due to low lighting, but here is a link to a 360 Degree panorama inside the POD after an imaging session.

http://360.io/kWTcJp

Uptmor

Reged: 02/16/10

#5540373 - 11/26/12 02:04 PM Attachment (213 downloads)

We just got done with our building, and thought I would show it here. It is an automated roll-off roof with a warm room attached. The mosaic below kind of shows it off. It is a nice way to go to keep the building profile down.. Very happy to be done with it.. for now

bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Bob Antol]
      #5547380 - 11/30/12 03:15 PM

Absolute dream obsevatory...beautiful !
Congratulations sir !
Maxx

Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Uptmor]
      #5547556 - 11/30/12 05:28 PM

Very well executed plan. I know that will add to your viewing pleasure. I know now how much a special observing place means.
Be Well
Grey

Norm Meyer
sage

Reged: 02/08/09

Loc: Warren, ME 04864
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #5558996 - 12/07/12 10:26 AM

Hi,
Here is my observatory, small but adequate.

bigeyewats

Reged: 12/06/12

Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Norm Meyer]
      #5559125 - 12/07/12 11:35 AM

Hi! I got this back in August at a garage sale for $400
Talk about luck!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: bigeyewats]
      #5559224 - 12/07/12 12:32 PM

The last two posts do not contain any photos. If you need assistance on how to post images, PM me, or any Moderator (Green name), or any Admin (Red name).

BTW, Welcome to CN!

OLDTIMER77

Reged: 01/26/11

Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Tel]
      #5560984 - 12/08/12 02:34 PM

Hi Tel,
I was very pleased to come across your post showing the Pulsar Dome as I purchased a 2.7 model last year with which I initially had problems with water seeping in beneath the dome edges and below the rubber floor I also purchased.
Much time and money placing several layers of high quality mastic around the circumference base solved the problem and also reduced the lower inside wall condensation caused by the penetrated dampness. Before this essential treatment I had found considerable dampness on the concrete floor when lifting the interwoven rubber mat sections.
Additionally I rigged up a HD polythene sheet which is taped to the revolving top area and hangs down over the outside door area and below preventing any water entering through the door edges when opening the dome door.
You may think all this is a bit over the top but inside the (now dry snug) dome is some very expensive telescope gear.
To reduce the occurrence of condensation forming on the dome interior walls I would strongly recommend installing a 5ft Dimplex bar heater which should be left on throughout the Winter months. This should either be placed on the dome floor or set on a support at waist level.
To check the temperature and amounts of humidity inside the dome you can install an inexpensive weather station (£40 approx) the sensors inside the dome send the readings to the main base unit kept in the house. A de-humid kept inside the dome can be used as and when to reduce the humidity levels. So for a small outlay you should be able to keep your dome damp free in the awful weather.
Anthony

Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Norm Meyer]
      #5561041 - 12/08/12 03:15 PM

Norm
welcome to CN I hope you get the photo attachment thing worked out. Carol's a really great resource. I hope you are not too close to the state prison there. Those night lights would put any street lights in my neighborhood to shame.
Be Well
Grey

deepwaterescue4u

Reged: 10/12/12

Loc: Panama Florida
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Posaunist]
      #5581475 - 12/20/12 09:16 PM

Would you mind shareing the building plans for this rool off please..

MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Megabusa]
      #5588955 - 12/25/12 09:56 PM

Hi Megabusa,
I was just scrolling through this thread when I caught sight of an idea I've been toying with. I am planning to add a warm room to my octagonal building that supports my dome. In this photo, is that a short vestibule that is connecting your control room with the observatory? I would love to examine any more details you have of your construction whether in photos or drawings or descriptions. If you want to, pm me any info. Many thanks.
Michael

Dupree

Reged: 09/09/09

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Marc-Andre]
      #5591301 - 12/27/12 02:56 PM Attachment (203 downloads)

After looking through many of these pictures I've decided to upload a picture of my observatory. Ordered in July, arrived in September - completed Oct 2012. Several months of heavy lift and tote along with that full body ache of days spent digging scratching and hauling.

For the most part the construction and assembly was done solo due to the lack of strong young backs. No problem though - us mature types have learned a thing or two about self sufficiency.

Gotta love SkyShed POD. It's a bit on the compact side inside but given that its a structure to house the observatory its good for that purpose. The control room is at the kitchen table.

Edited by Dupree (12/27/12 03:07 PM)

Lobo59

Reged: 12/05/10

Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Dupree]
      #5594364 - 12/29/12 01:06 PM Attachment (144 downloads)

Ordered Aug 17th, Delivered Sept 20th, first light Nov 6th (Election Day). Plan is to use it remotely from the house at first, then via long distance as more automation installed. Right now, Azimuth Dome control via LesveDome, works great! Automatic shutters are next. Real happy with the dome, works great, a good value but wish I had ordered the Aluminum ring. Still have some finishing touches to do, but waiting till spring, it's a wee cold here in Minnesota right now.

The name is CAVU Observatory.... I work in aviation and CAVU is an acronym that means Ceiling and Visibility Unlimited, a term used in Aviation Weather and I figured it works in this case as every astronomers dream is one of clear skies!

Larry

Edited by Lobo59 (12/29/12 01:08 PM)

Bob Myler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: St Louis, MO
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Lobo59]
      #5595153 - 12/29/12 09:11 PM

Beautiful observatory, Larry - with an interesting name!

I assume you positioned it well clear of the path of that center-pivot irrigation boom?

DGB

Reged: 05/12/08

Loc: Reva, Virginia USA
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Bob Myler]
      #5595212 - 12/29/12 10:04 PM Attachment (103 downloads)

May as well 'post a pic' on this forum thread also. This is my new Morning Calm Observatory. A 20x24 roll-off-roof design with a 6x20 warm room and a 16x20 attached 'Observ-a-party' deck. I designed this to house my 30" Obsession Telescope.

I started a thread for the Morning Calm Observatory at:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5592040/page...

Thanks to Cloudy Nights; its contributors, administrators and moderators. And a special welcome to the lurkers! I was one for years reading and lurking before I finally took the plunge to pursue construction of my observatory to continue pursuit of my life long passion with astronomy. You can overcome any handicap with knowledge. Pursue your dreams!

AB9MS

Reged: 10/19/12

Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: DGB]
      #5595229 - 12/29/12 10:18 PM

My OBS. $2 tarps and the frame from an old green house.
Meade 8" LX50 on a Tuthill isostatic mount and a cardboard dew shield. Putting it away tonight I started to slip down the hill while carrying the optics. That was a heart thumping moment. I am sooo looking forward to having a ($600) RoR OBS by the end of 2013.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Post a pic. of your observatory! new [Re: Lobo59]
      #5595453 - 12/30/12 01:30 AM

Larry it looks like it's out in the middle of nowhere I hope you anchor it down good. First 80 mph squawl line hits and it's "good bye city"!

Pages: << 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 180814

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics