Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
idp
sage

Reged: 08/21/09

Loc: New Haven, CT
Re: February Faces of Mars new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #3642457 - 02/23/10 10:50 AM Attachment (50 downloads)

Quote:

Ivano
That's a very nice sketch of Mars. You see more detail in your 10" than I in my 12". I like the sketch like it is, in B&W. You're not obliged do to Mars in color! There's only one thing: I would leave the 4 "-" out of the drawing.

I can't give you much advice about the colors. I have very difficult with it and I'm still experimenting. Most people here on CN put the time and Central Meridian of the planet with a Mars sketch.

Thank you Jef and everybody else on this thread for your warm welcoming! Yes I always do put a lot of data on my sketches as I mainly observe within observing programs that are the Italian equivalent of ALPO; in this case, they were on the rest of the form!

Many times I do not even bother to refine the sketch I made at the eyepiece if I find it satisfying, I care more for the accuracy of intensity and color data. The vast majority of the observers in our sections are now digital imagers, but we find it important to complement them with visual observations in order to keep a tradition alive, and because they can be more easily compared with historical records. Indeed, the name of the file I uploaded is the date and time of the observation (plus a four-letter code which identifies me); this is the standard we use when we send images But you are right, I should take the time to write a few data on the sketch.

However, a good color sketch is often just the best way to convey information and I would like to improve on it! This is a sketch I made on Feb. 13, 00:10 UT, in Bethany, CT, with a 7" Astrophysics (the Clark is now out of order due to big problems with the roof )
Seeing was bad and I focused on clouds and veils. I have never been really happy with the color pencils I usually use, do you think pastels would be better or is it just a matter of technique?

Thanks a lot again (and sorry for this long post),

Ivano

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: February Faces of Mars new [Re: idp]
      #3642497 - 02/23/10 11:07 AM

Specifically, what are you not pleased with related to your color pencils?

Also, whose brand and what kind of color pencils are you using? Also, what kind if paper are you using?

btw - what a gem of a scope!!! You should come over to the refractor forum and add a post to this thread relating your experiences with image stability in marginal seeing using a nice long focal ratio scope like the Clark, vs faster refractors.

Edited by BillP (02/23/10 11:09 AM)

idp
sage

Re: February Faces of Mars new [Re: BillP]
      #3642587 - 02/23/10 11:39 AM

Hi Bill,

As you can see, I can't really get "soft" and uniform hues where they should be like this (e.g. the orange deserts); nuances are also a problem. I suppose it also depends on the kind of paper, I use common A4 printer paper that may be a bit too rough. I find it all right for b/w however.

Thank you for letting me know about that thread on refractors; my experience is a bit limited actually, I moved to the USA 1 year 1/2 ago and have routinely used the Clarck since September 2009. But I will certainly send my first impressions. I know much better newtonian reflectors, especially the old (1994) Meade Starfinder 8" I left at my parent's house in Italy; a GREAT instrument for visual observations of the planets, though the mount is a piece of s#@t in many ways and would not like it if I were an imager.
Thank you so much for your feedback!!!

Ivano

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
      #3643031 - 02/23/10 03:00 PM

Bill, thanks for all the hours you put in this marvelous compilation! I agree with the ASOD.

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/04

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: February Faces of Mars new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #3643976 - 02/23/10 10:34 PM

gret sketch of Mars idp, lots of texture in and around Syrtis Major, thanks for posting.

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: February Faces of Mars new [Re: Tommy5]
      #3644294 - 02/24/10 02:47 AM Attachment (46 downloads)

Bill,

Thank you for the update on the Mars observations made by the members of the forum. They are all excellent and show much talent.

Ivano- Thank you for your excellent observations of Mars. They show a good amount of detail across the Martian disk. That is a beautiful refractor that you are using. This is a classic refractor that should provide excellent views of the heavens. I have labeled your latest observation of Mars. I hope that the nomenclature helps. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

markseibold
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/19/08

Loc: Portland Oregon
      #3646263 - 02/25/10 04:47 AM

Ivano

Beautiful sketch highlighting Syrtis major on Mars

As you reflected on some disappointment with color accuracy in using colored pencils on white paper; if I did not mention it before, you might try pastel chalks on black Strathmore Artagain paper. I resort to using only 19" X 25" sheets now as to render the largest images possible [within reason] to affect the most details. The wide array of dry soft to medium hard pastel chalks can render an innumerable and unlimited amount of color ranges desired. Feel free to look at my gallery; although most of my images were earlier of the sun through an h-alpha, then the moon, a few of Saturn and Mars, I also strive for color accuracy and photograph all my work under north daylight windows if not in a friends professional photographic studio with balanced white light.

Thanks again to Bill for this excellent collage gallery display of Mars and Carlos' excellent text labeling of your sketch.

*Do you allow others to observe through your large refractor? It must be spectacular on some evenings. I'd love to see Mars thorugh it! I would make a cross country drive just to observe Mars in good refractor like yours before it is gone again.

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

Edited by markseibold (02/25/10 04:56 AM)

idp
sage

Re: February Faces of Mars new [Re: markseibold]
      #3646477 - 02/25/10 08:58 AM

Quote:

you might try pastel chalks on black Strathmore Artagain paper. I resort to using only 19" X 25" sheets now as to render the largest images possible [within reason] to affect the most details. The wide array of dry soft to medium hard pastel chalks can render an innumerable and unlimited amount of color ranges desired.

Hi Mark,

Great gallery I loved it, and thank you for your reply! I have to say I have no artistic ambitions, I only want to render as faithfully as possible planetary details. I will certainly give a try to this technique, where can I find the paper you mention? Staples? Or specialized stores? Also, what kind of paper would you recommend for pencils?

*Do you allow others to observe through your large refractor? It must be spectacular on some evenings. I'd love to see Mars thorugh it! I would make a cross country drive just to observe Mars in good refractor like yours before it is gone again.

The Clark refractor is not mine at all, it belongs to Yale University but was restored and is cared for (along with other old stuff at Bethany Observing Station) by the Astronomical Society of New Haven. ASNH members are allowed to use it. This is far from a sweet spot when it comes to seeing, however, and I never had a really good night so far. But have only used it since September, summer muggy weather may prove better.

Ivano

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3930

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics