Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Don't believe that this image is eligible... new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #3657019 - 03/02/10 06:51 PM

Bill,

Great idea on Saturn! I encourage you to start a thread where we can post our sketch of Saturn and then combine it into one piece. I look forward to seeing everyone's observation. Someone may want to get Sol's Saturn template out if he is agreeable.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
markseibold
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/19/08

Loc: Portland Oregon
      #3657808 - 03/03/10 07:51 AM

Bill, Charlie, and all

This was a great idea and a new venture to experiment in multiple imaging. I just wished you could have included my entire sketch showing the Martian landscape. I almost entered that one. You have all reminded me to enter into the ASOD eventually which I have totally overlooked so many times now.

Thanks again and I hope they can find a place for this great collage compilation that Bill assembled. You have my persmission to use my image.

Mark

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
      #3657935 - 03/03/10 09:28 AM

Bill, good idea for Saturn. Count me in.

Sol Robbins
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/01/03

Re: Don't believe that this image is eligible... new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #3658655 - 03/03/10 04:12 PM

Though I don't think what is happening here was a bad thing, I do understand the moderators' concerns regarding authorship. I believe this was done simply out of a mutual respect for the observers rather than some other motive.

That said, my stuff had been printed in a major astronomy magazine without my permission. The magazine believed that since it came by it through a secondary source, they believed it was fair game through that source. The magazine, technically, makes money through the content and quality it prints and sells. That's the bugaboo since they assemble their content and quality from outside sources for the most part. Its also been used in various astronomy club's online tutorials and observing guides without permission. IMO, a magazine should know better. Non-profit amateur astronomy clubs get the benefit of the doubt.

Again I don't think there is any of that type of thing going on here regarding in this particular case. I believe that the folks here at CN maintain a pretty high standard in terms of respecting authorship and vendor ethics.

Might be best to not make a big deal about a friendly contest, and I say this because I sketch simply for the fun of it. That said, I believe that this particular compilation can make the rounds in other forums, I.E. Beginners & Planetary forums. I think the ensuing discussions and comments made in a noncontest format would hopefully be a very positive thing for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I hope I'm somewhat clear about this.

Best,

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Don't believe that this image is eligible... new [Re: Sol Robbins]
      #3658717 - 03/03/10 04:45 PM

Quote:

Might be best to not make a big deal about a friendly contest, and I say this because I sketch simply for the fun of it. That said, I believe that this particular compilation can make the rounds in other forums, I.E. Beginners & Planetary forums. I think the ensuing discussions and comments made in a noncontest format would hopefully be a very positive thing for obvious reasons.

Sol,

I like the concept of having an area for people, or groups of people who might work a mixed media project together, could post their best efforts. A gallery of sorts. We kind of have it already as a forum space in the AstroArt Forum. However, all the work here gets no CN Front Page attention and not sure a forum format would be most condusive. Would be quite interesting to have a front page window or something where you could simply scroll thru the fascinating images, sketches, mixed art people produce. Then clicking on the ones you like might take you to the thread in the AstroArt Forum where it is posted and discussed. Maybe something like the way reviews are set up where all the reviews are in one space, then you can link to the threads discussing them...or something a little more attention getting and friendlier interface perhaps...but the basic concept. A lot of the stuff is quite exciting to see as people are so creative...just a shame that it's all hidden so deep in the bowels of the webspace IMO.

ladip63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/17/07

Loc: the dark skies of Texas
Re: Don't believe that this image is eligible... new [Re: BillP]
      #3658732 - 03/03/10 04:52 PM

bill,
That is a good idea to make a compilation of others work. It shows the different styles. I hope you will make more of these Bill. Sorry it was not included in the contest. You can always frame it.
Lynn

Sol Robbins
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/01/03

Re: Don't believe that this image is eligible... new [Re: BillP]
      #3658748 - 03/03/10 04:57 PM

That's an interesting idea. If I understand correctly you're suggesting a web page-format with thumbnails.

In the past a thread was started that turned into many sketches of Venus during a particular apparition. I guess the problem with that was it turned into a super thread. Still it was great fun and very informative.

Maybe a simpler idea is to create a compiled image that gets a sticky with a title like "Mars Opposition 2010".

That's only a thought considering formats being what they are.

Just a 0.02 idea.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Don't believe that this image is eligible... new [Re: Sol Robbins]
      #3663170 - 03/06/10 08:48 AM

Hello everyone,

First, I'd like to thank BillP for taking the time to compile the set of Mars images at the head of this thread. I was amazed to see the work of 25 different sketchers. It certainly demonstrates that, in this era of superb backyard imaging, astrosketching has not diminished--indeed, it seems to be surging in popularity.

I think this surge is in no small part due to the development of a virtual community of amateur astronomers sharing their observations and experiences on the Web. The people here at CN have been instrumental in encouraging this community. There are other astrosketching forums around the Internet but this Sketching forum in particular is probably the focal point of sketching on the Web. It's no accident that the webmasters of ASOD are both long time and valued contributors to CN.

Sol mentioned several past threads that turned into very satisfying collaborative efforts. One, that was put together by Sally Russell (aka The Chemist), was featured here on ASOD a couple of years ago.

Whatever form they take, I feel sure that CN will continue to provide welcoming and innovative venues for astrosketchers around the world.

ErixAdministrator
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04

Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Don't believe that this image is eligible... new [Re: Special Ed]
      #3663271 - 03/06/10 10:02 AM

Quote:

Sol mentioned several past threads that turned into very satisfying collaborative efforts. One, that was put together by Sally Russell (aka The Chemist), was featured here on ASOD a couple of years ago.

Whatever form they take, I feel sure that CN will continue to provide welcoming and innovative venues for astrosketchers around the world.

We'll get that every now and again in the solar forum as well with camera images and sketches combined. This is a great community.

BTW, for those of you that may not have noticed, Tom put this thread on the announcements page. Link to announcement Thanks T!

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Don't believe that this image is eligible... new [Re: Erix]
      #3663508 - 03/06/10 11:59 AM

Erika,

Thanks for that reminder about the solar forum--there have been some wonderful collaborative threads there.

Btw, I forgot to mention that Sally's compilation also made it onto LPOD, so BillP, when you get the final version ready, take Jeremy's suggestion and submit it to Spaceweather, APOD, etc. as well as ASOD.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2291

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics