Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Re: Jupiter 2012 11 01 new [Re: Andrev]
      #5500739 - 11/02/12 11:19 AM

Quote:

Jason.

This sketch is fabulous. Look so real and the transit is excellent. You are very talented, pleasse keep going with more sketches of the planet. Eager to see Saturn.

Andre.

Thank you, Andre. Saturn should make for some future fun, no doubt.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Jupiter 2012 11 01 new [Re: astronz59]
      #5500740 - 11/02/12 11:20 AM

Quote:

Far from feeble my friend... A lovelly rendition and some interesting comments to boot. Keep up the good work!

Thank you.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Jupiter 2012 11 01 new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #5500750 - 11/02/12 11:27 AM

Quote:

Looks really fine to me.

Quote:

Constructive criticism is welcome

Next time you can use a template that isn't a perfect circle.

Excellent tip. It seems obvious, but slipped my mind until you mentioned it. I just calculated the dimensions and the polar diameter is approximately 94% of the equatorial diameter. I'm creating a template for future sketches, making your post well timed. Thanks, Jef.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter 2012 11 01 new [Re: Chopin]
      #5500807 - 11/02/12 11:58 AM

Oh, sorry, I thought you were in Miami.

I was a budding bird watcher as a child, even reported a Pileated Woodpecker sighting to Cornell university...spotted in Northern Florida in 1975. It flew right over my neighbor's house, across the street, then ovr some roof tops. Gone. Having studied and sketched them, I was shocked when I realized what I had just seen. As memorable as Comet West.

But, your realism sketch is pretty much what I see, with a smaller FOV...

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Jupiter 2012 11 01 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5500816 - 11/02/12 12:04 PM

Woodpeckers are a blast to observe. And no, I'm in Southern New England...turbulence extraordinaire.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #5500979 - 11/02/12 01:35 PM

Ah! Okay. I retired in the far east at 16 degrees north.

The template is a great tip. You can make one by importing an appropriate image of Jupiter into Powerpoint then laying an ellipse on the limb. You can even put some guides as to the belts and zones.

One thing I am trying to do is to sketch Jupiter's preceding limb, first. Since Jupiter rotates faster than I can sketch, it helps to get those details locked down while placing any details toward following edge. It might be cheating, but as the following details rotate into a better view on the meridian, you can tune them up while your preceding limb detail disappears.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Jupiter 2012 11 01 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5500997 - 11/02/12 01:45 PM

Quote:

One thing I am trying to do is to sketch Jupiter's preceding limb, first. Since Jupiter rotates faster than I can sketch, it helps to get those details locked down while placing any details toward following edge. It might be cheating, but as the following details rotate into a better view on the meridian, you can tune them up while your preceding limb detail disappears.

Good tip! I'll steal...I mean use your idea.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
      #5502100 - 11/03/12 09:15 AM

Hi Jason,

Good to see one of your sketches again. Given the seeing, you made a very careful and accurate observation. Noticing the slight shadowing on the preceding limb, for instance. That's a phenomenon observable before opposition (about a month from now). It becomes less pronounced as the planet nears opposition and then shifts to the following limb after opposition.

You captured the main features nicely so if you just keep practicing (and get better seeing conditions) you'll be rapidly satisfied with the results.

You've already picked up on using a more oval template. I think noting at least the CM II longitude is useful to place features in the Jovian cloudtops and compare your sketch to other sketches and images.

Because of Jupiter's differential rotation and super turbulent atmosphere, features in the cloudtops move all over the place. For instance, Oval BA has moved over 10° in longitude since my Sept. 30th observation.

System I is 10° north and south of the equator. It rotates slightly faster (~5 mins per rotation) than System II, which is the area from 10° to the poles. System III pertains to radio astronomy so we visual observers can safely igmore it.

Good luck with your next observation.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Jupiter 2012 11 01 new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5504564 - 11/04/12 09:02 PM

Mike, thanks for the kind words and very useful tips! It's good to get out observing again, and good to "hear" from you, as well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1638

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics