Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Re: Stray's Sketchbook new [Re: stray1]
      #5535139 - 11/23/12 09:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Observing the Trap a few nights ago, I thought to try a sketch of the nebulocity in the area. Are you kidding? Just way too many wisps and dark lanes. Beautiful, but I wouldn't wanna sketch it.

That is why I cheated and used a photograph. Overwhelming in my EPs.

-stray-

Those darned deep sky objects are daunting to say the least. I'm actually considering the purchase of 30-40º eyepieces so that I have to sketch less of the field.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Stray's Sketchbook new [Re: Chopin]
      #5535404 - 11/23/12 12:34 PM

stray1
sage

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Stray's Sketchbook new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5536647 - 11/24/12 04:50 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Norme,

You don't need to refer to me as "Grasshopper"..."Weedhopper" works just as well. Heh.

At any rate, I ripped off your sketch template (do you mind?) to generate an approximation of what I might see of Jupiter on any given night. The features that I am unsure of are noted in red.

As for being passionate or honest, I tend toward the latter. As Cap'n Kirk might say: "Must...see...must see what I...see...Spock? Spock?"

-stray-

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5537417 - 11/24/12 03:43 PM

Sorry for getting all mystical on ya...just was on a passionate roll. Might have been a little "weed hopper," myself. (kidding, only.)

As for your sketch, everything looks right. All the right stuff is there. The feature below the GRS certainly looks to be correct, you're capturing something in the (can't read the cheat chart from here) STB. To know if the GRS was visible, you can check the date and time of your observation against it's transit times. Here's a good one, of the many avail...

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/3304091.html?page=1&...

I don't mind at all, but you'll have to subscribe for updates.

stray1
sage

#5543264 - 11/28/12 03:30 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Not a good sketch, though not really meant to be. Generated from memory following a very brief, spur of the moment, observation this morning. We’ve had clouds since the weekend, but they were thin and/or broken this morning, really hazy up there, but I decided to take what I could get while the getting was good. Clouds in the forecast for the rest of the week. The full moon, Jupiter, and a few of the brighter stars (e.g., Rigel, Sirius, etc.) were showing through the ceiling. Coldest session thus far: 25-deg F. High humidity, clammy, frost coating my viewing chair and table.

I spent a couple of hours on Sunday (cloudy) blackening the inside of the barrels of my Orion 25mm and 10mm EPs with flat black paint, so my real reason for “braving” the cold was to see if this made any improvement to my viewing clarity. I believe that there is a slight improvement as far as that goes. I have never seen the SPR as clearly as I did this morning (though this might also be attributed to the filtering effect of the clouds?)

NPR: check

NTB: check

NEB: check (also noted additional detail in this belt; see sketch)

SEB: check

STB: missing (possibly merged with the SPR?)

SPR: BIG check

Had my best view through the 10mm using a x2 Barlow; blurry, but detailed if that makes sense. Though the GRS was apparently visible I did not notice it as I spent most of my (brief) EP time focused on the NEQ to determine if I could discern any festoons (didn’t see them).

Anyway, here’s the sketch. The only real area of interest is noted (and, even then, this is a simple approximation of “something” going on in the NEB; not sure what it was).

Template is copyrighted to Asbytech, 2012, I think.

-weedhopper-

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5543271 - 11/28/12 04:17 AM

LOL

It's okay if I can copy your moon presentation at lower right. Get the other one, the mask and apply it...cover up those belt/zone guides.

Weedhopper, I have tried blacking and so forth. About the only thing I think made any difference, if any, was flocking the inside of the primary baffle. If nothing else, it feels good that it looks black inside.

stray1
sage

#5544910 - 11/29/12 01:18 AM

Quote:

LOL

It's okay if I can copy your moon presentation at lower right. Get the other one, the mask and apply it...cover up those belt/zone guides.

Weedhopper, I have tried blacking and so forth. About the only thing I think made any difference, if any, was flocking the inside of the primary baffle. If nothing else, it feels good that it looks black inside.

Copy away. Can't wait to see your version of the moons!

-stray-

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5544959 - 11/29/12 03:46 AM

With the way Pete has been driving me deeper into difficult observations of the Jovian moons, the sketches might surprise.

Anyway, was thinking about your sketch recently. You're showing more detail. Congrats. I still think your scope can show more. In theory and in good conditions, it should have the contrast of a slightly larger CAT.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

#5545183 - 11/29/12 09:45 AM

Stray, terrific Jovian sketch. Pretty soon, with repeated observations, you'll be catching sharper representations of those belt details. I enjoy following your progress.

stray1
sage

#5546658 - 11/30/12 04:44 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Hi all,

Thanks for commenting. Chop, yes I believe that I am beginning to detect more detail; still have a long, long way to go. Norme, still working on that “theory”. My current limitations are more a lack of skill rather than lack of equipment…lol.

Anyway, for most of the evening of 29 Nov, transparency was rather poor. I could make out Luna, Jupiter, and Aldebaran but little else. By the time I arrived home from work (approx. 01:45 EST; 06:45 UT) things had cleared somewhat transparency-wise; however, Luna was washing out prime observing zones (Orion, Jupiter). Still, there were things to look at so I brewed a cup of java, set up the Astroview, and started slewing around. Really not the best viewing conditions per se.--frustrating, actually with a near-full moon.

M42/43: a pale shadow of its usual glorious self (however, I’m beginning to detect a hint of green in the nebula…a transparent bitter lime, perhaps ).

33 Orionis: “Fuggit about it”, as Tony Soprano might say.

Delta Orionis (Mintaka): Blah. The Cosmic Cops must be on a donut break tonight.

Jupiter: Well, now, the 2nd brightest object in the night (early AM sky actually) was true. Even at low magnification (25mm) the EQ belts were visible as well as the NTB and the N & S Polar Regions. The SPR was not as apparent as it was a couple of nights ago, so I’ll attribute this to the filtering effect of the thicker haze I experienced on 28 Nov and NOT any major improvement due to my blackening the interior surface of the EP. Increased magnification and/or filters did not reveal additional detail so no “enlarged” sketches this morning.

Lest the session wind up as a complete bust, I went ahead and noted the positions of the moons and cranked out a rather boring sketch. I believe I got everything correct, but by the end I was so frustrated that I was ready to throw my coffee cup at anything that moved (I didn’t, BTW).

On nights like this I now understand why some beginners might slam their rig into a corner of the garage or basement and “fuggit about it”. Permanently.

*sigh*

-stray-

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5546671 - 11/30/12 05:00 AM

Sure, there will be frustrating nights. Fuggit about it. It's those good nights we live for.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

#5546762 - 11/30/12 08:05 AM

Norme said it. Fuggit about it. Keep on keepin on, you know. Learning how to get the most out of poor nights will also help with your observing abilities. I find that sketching in A-IV seeing forces me to stay glued to the EP, and quickly jot the details that reveal themselves in calm moments that last less than a Zsa Zsa Gabor marriage.

BTW, I'm glad to hear you didn't kill any squirrels with a caffeinated projectile.

stray1
sage

#5549466 - 12/01/12 10:14 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Thanks for comments and encouragement! No way I’m ready to quit over a night or two of frustration. Did the Natives quit at the Little Big Horn just because Custer’s pony soldiers started shooting back?

It’s was cloudy most of the day so I wasn’t really expecting to do any observing, but around 6:45 (11:45 UT) the sky opened briefly. Knowing that it would probably close just as quick, I scrambled to the garage and grabbed my rapid deploy rig—the Meade StarFinder that perpetually awaits such fleeting opportunisms (I was feeling too lazy to set up the Orion).

Big J was still pretty low in the sky and partially obscured in the branches of a black walnut tree. I tracked it for a couple of minutes and found that there was an opening in the branches just large enough to allow me to see the disk and three of the moons once they rose above their current position. While waiting for them to come into view I made a quick sketch of the branches and when Jupiter and companions were “framed” they were added to the sketch. According to Stellarium the moons are Europa, Callisto, and Ganymede.
While not exactly what was viewed in the EP, this finished “product” at the least captures the spirit of the moment. (Chop, you can make a copy of this and have it put on a coffee mug if you wish…lol).

Plus I have a question concerning UT (which I have only recently been adding to my sketches). My time zone (EST) is -5 UT, so if it is 7PM (19:00) my time, it is 00:00 UT. Is this correct?

-stray-

stray1
sage

#5549479 - 12/01/12 10:26 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Here are a couple of practice thumbnails I drew from photos on Google. It has been years since I've tried to draw anything with pencil, so I am trying to "recondition" my clumsy fingers to accommodate this new hobby of mine. I limited myself to 10 minutes per sketch to simulate those "speed drills" my art instructor taught me back in college.

Geez...

-stray-

AdirondackAstro
sage

Reged: 06/06/11

Loc: Plattsburgh, NY
      #5549493 - 12/01/12 10:36 PM

Quote:

Plus I have a question concerning UT (which I have only recently been adding to my sketches). My time zone (EST) is -5 UT, so if it is 7PM (19:00) my time, it is 00:00 UT. Is this correct?

-stray-

You got it, we here on the east coast need to add 5 hours for UT. Be careful when we switch the clocks though, there is a brief period where they don't change their clocks, or they do and we don't, can't remember, but right now you're fine.

stray1
sage

Re: Stray's Sketchbook new [Re: AdirondackAstro]
      #5549751 - 12/02/12 02:26 AM

Thanks Mike! I thought I had the UT correct

Like your blog, BTW. Great AP!

-stray-

AdirondackAstro
sage

Reged: 06/06/11

Loc: Plattsburgh, NY
      #5549759 - 12/02/12 02:36 AM

Thanks a lot, Stray. I do a bit of sketching now and then. I really need to get into it more. Would be a nice comparison of through the eyepiece to go along with my images.

BTW, I forgot to mention you've got some really good sketches here!

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Stray's Sketchbook new [Re: AdirondackAstro]
      #5549794 - 12/02/12 04:24 AM

Goodness, Stray, I thought you either developed robo eyeballs or ungraded to a 6" refractor. Sketching practice, okay got it. Whew! Thought there was a new sheriff in town.

And you captured the tree limbs... Well, that's actually kind of cool, not like we've never peeked between the limbs before. Okay, I can dig it. It would make a nice coffee cup logo.

Edited by Asbytec (12/02/12 04:30 AM)

stray1
sage

#5549804 - 12/02/12 04:39 AM

Quote:

And you captured the tree limbs... Well, that's actually kind of cool, not like we've never peeked between the limbs before.

Not exactly optimal viewing, but sometimes we gotta dance with the one who brung us.

-stray-

stray1
sage

#5555074 - 12/05/12 04:07 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Success! (I think)

After nearly two weeks of pretty lousy viewing conditions, including rain most of today, the sky overhead "finally" opened up for me! Transparency was really good, but seeing left a lot to be desired...everything was rolling or jittery (heck, Mizar A/B looked like they were dancing a sailor's jig ). Didn't matter, it was wonderful for me this morning (cold, clammy, 100% humidity, dew dripping from my rig within minutes...woooondeeerfuuul!).

Primary target was the Big J. N & S polar regions were apparent as were the NTB and both big belts at 25mm. Settled into my chair and dropped in the 10mm...something was "different"...along the lower edge of the NEB there appeared to be two dark "smudges" that I had never noticed before. Floaters? I cleared my eye. Still there. Dust on my EP? Dropped in the 8mm. Still there. The 6mm. There they were. Tried a bunch of different EPs, filters, and the x2 Barlow just to be sure. Walked away from the rig and drank some coffee. Looked again. Still there.

I had no intention of making a sketch this evening, it was supposed to be a pure viewing session; however, after seeing what I saw I realized that I had to put something down on "paper". For the sake of argument, please ignore the sloppiness of this presentation; color, blur, and band/moon placement were secondary as I whipped this up from memory. The dark splotches are the subject of this piece. I KNOW that I observed them.

I'm thinking that they are probably festoons, but I cannot be sure of this unless someone else made a similar observation around the same time. All I know is that they were there and I have never noticed them before this morning.

-stray-

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5211

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics