Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5554850 - 12/04/12 11:24 PM

Well, low contrast is about to take on a whole new meaning as Saturn approaches.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: Chopin]
      #5554984 - 12/05/12 01:45 AM

Can't wait. Jupiter got better, wonder if Saturn will, too. Unfortunately for Saturn observing, I'll be traveling in the US without my own scope. Maybe someone will offer a view of it. We'll see. It would be great to step into a star party and see what other's see in different scopes.

stray1
sage

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5555051 - 12/05/12 03:38 AM

Quote:

Straaaaaaaaaaay! I'm sure you don't mean it, but don't even joke about such things. Makes me feel bad, and it would break my heart if my passion got in the way of yours. You know I am pulling for you in every way.

Remember, this isn't a contest. The sketch is nice, it's the memories of our observations that are priceless. As Jason said, it's camaraderie. A support group for those who sit alone in the dark. I know you understand, just want to be clear I do, too.

Find your passion, my friend, and pursue it. How can you not succeed? You know how all that works. (Well, surely we both have a few stories about when it doesn't. ) Carbon stars or doubles are nice subjects. Some guys like the sun, some can really deliver on the moon. I just fell into planets, so might you. Fall into a passion and let it take you to...uh, to...Nirvana. I think that's where it leads.

Ah, I find myself lecturing like my mother and in need of a spanking.

Nooooorrrmmmmeee! I'm just kidding. If I'm willing to quit over something as trivial as "telescope envy" ( ) I have no business doing this in the first place.

-stray-

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: stray1]
      #5555082 - 12/05/12 04:12 AM

WHEW! Thought we lost you...thanks for showing up! Yea, I knew you were kidding, but I still felt it.

Telescope envy, there is plenty of that for everyone, including your's truly. Like money, there is never enough. We have to observe within our means.

Glad your back and posting.

stray1
sage

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5555141 - 12/05/12 05:25 AM

Quote:

WHEW! Thought we lost you...thanks for showing up! Yea, I knew you were kidding, but I still felt it.

Telescope envy, there is plenty of that for everyone, including your's truly. Like money, there is never enough. We have to observe within our means.

Glad your back and posting.

Looking back, I went the cheap route. After playing around with the 60mm for a few weeks I asked my wife if it would be okay to buy something "better". She gave me the green light. I could have laid out $500+ on a better rig, but with Christmas coming around I settled on a the Orion 90mm (which, if I recall correctly cost me around $250 + another $150 for the Celestron EP kit).

Me evil scheme was simple: spend a few bucks now, learn the sky, split a few doubles (my initial passion), and then upgrade to a larger aperture at some time in the not-too-distant future. I NEVER intended to become fixated on Jupiter, yet here I am.

In the Beginners Forum I was advised that I would probably find 90mm lacking rather quickly. Some advised that I purchase a Big Dob for the most pleasing experience, but I do not think that I was seeking the most "pleasing" experience. I think that that I was seeking a challenge and the Orion has provided that...yeah, it really has... I have a very strong feeling that I have just begun to scratch the surface.

The camaraderie that you and Jason mentioned is also a big part of this. On any given night, although I sit alone in the dark at a personal level, I know that across the world hundreds (if not thousands) of eyes are seeing the same things that I am.

I will continue to slew this rig until it falls apart.

-stray-

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: stray1]
      #5555150 - 12/05/12 06:06 AM

You know, I stepped down to a 6" aperture in retirement, something easy and light. Something that reminded me of the challenge of observing as a kid. Maybe in some way wanting to return to those glorious days of youthful discovery. You know what, I nailed it.

Nothing wrong with a smaller aperture, especially unobstructed refractor. One day you may look back on these days with fondness, with a sense of discovery. That's really been my experience coming full circle with 18" Dobs and imaging equipment. Back to basics, back to that very human element of visual observing that I felt 4 decades ago.

So, if you do upgrade, feel free to travel the giant circle of life. It'll be a heck of a journey.

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
      #5555863 - 12/05/12 03:28 PM

Norme,

Excellent sketches of Jupiter, a wealth of detail. The subtle shadings are very realistic. All in a 6 inch scope!
This has been a great opposition. I look forward to many more fine views through the telescope and seeing the great sketches here on this forum.

Thanks for posting. Dean

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #5556477 - 12/05/12 09:38 PM

It has been a great one, Dean. Thank you.

astronz59
sage

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
      #5560418 - 12/08/12 05:25 AM

A maaaay zzzing! I like the at the scope atmospere you have somehow captured here. Fantastic drawing and account of the joys of planetary observation!

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: astronz59]
      #5561251 - 12/08/12 05:38 PM

Norme that seriously a good rendering. I might just print and hang it.
Just relooking at the thread.

Pete

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1677

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics