Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

Reged: 12/29/10

Loc: York, England
Re: Jupiter 2013 02 08 new [Re: chrisrnuttall]
      #5681882 - 02/15/13 04:18 PM

Nope, it's getting thicker. I suppose that's where the forum got its name!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5682267 - 02/15/13 08:09 PM

I did some muddling around with an eyepiece dew heater around Thanksgiving. I'm going to make one for my 50mm finder too as its imperative for deepsky star hopping to see the star fields clearly.

The boundary fan thing I truly enjoy but its probably half as apparent for me as the rear fan in terms of flare reduction in stars and things. It's real but its more subtle. Below 200x I would say its negligible in my 8".

One thing that was apparent from that thread on thermals is truss designs have a different dynamic than tubes . Apparently negative airflow is beneficial for trusses.

The making of a hole in the tube is a thing that most folks are apprehensive about - indeed its taken me since 1994 to do it to my reflector lol !!
I love it though.

Pete

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5683140 - 02/16/13 10:17 AM

The cap really helps . Without it the thing still seems to work for me but there's no denying the sealing off of one end makes for a far better efficient system. If ever you do decide to put a side fan in buzz me and I might be able to save a little rework - namely proper positioning of the fan to mirror.

I didn't realize your scope was mod'd out like it is - nice job. I looked for Nichrome wire but ended up with resistors soldered to copper braiding- flexible and hot! I find with a blowing fan the secondary is fine but the finder objective and ocular dew up.

Pete

PeterDob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/05

Loc: CarĂ¹, Italy
      #5683432 - 02/16/13 12:38 PM

OMG... What a beautiful sight!!! Chris, you did a wonderful job with this sketch. My sincere compliments...

Peter

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1377

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics