Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

Re: "Frosty Leo" new [Re: PeterDob]
      #5727854 - 03/12/13 10:52 AM

Hi Peter,

Really nice deep-sky sketch, thanks for posting it. I have not heard of this object before but it looks like an interesting DSO.

I noticed that you have a binoviewer. Have you used it while observing deep-sky objects? I have tried a binoviewer on some of the brighter DSO's and the veiw can be interesting.

Some year years ago I attended the Texas Star Party and one fellow brought a home-made 20" f/4.5 binocular telescope. The views of the DSO's was amazing, and I felt I was looking at photo's of the DSO's.

Best,

Eric Jamison

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PeterDob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/05

Loc: CarĂ¹, Italy
Re: "Frosty Leo" new [Re: ericj]
      #5728714 - 03/12/13 06:03 PM

It's a very interesting object indeed, but actually it requires higher mags than the 206x which I'm limited to for the moment.

I use the Siebert 40mm VP Echelon 2" binoviewer and without OCA (so with shortened truss poles). This binoviewer gives near to equal monocular light throughput. But as always it's a kind of compromise. For a detailed review I'd like to refer to the one I recently wrote for the Cloudynights' review section. Sorry but I'm writing this from my mobile and it's too complicated to add a link here. But I'm sure you'll easily find it.

Peter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1322

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics