Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

Reged: 12/29/10

Loc: York, England
Re: Saturn April 4 new [Re: chrisrnuttall]
      #5794766 - 04/12/13 03:38 PM

Oh, btw David, my wife is an English lit teacher, up to A-level, with a degree in English lit.... and she can't help with your poet, sorry!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
Re: Saturn April 4 new [Re: chrisrnuttall]
      #5794904 - 04/12/13 05:01 PM

Quote:

Oh, btw David, my wife is an English lit teacher, up to A-level, with a degree in English lit.... and she can't help with your poet, sorry!

Yes thanks Chris and zilch from Google. I know I saw the quote years back in S&T: the poet's reference to astronomy as "the cold star bane............" and seemed to remember Blake as the offender but Google has cast doubt!

When are these clouds going to shift - I'm getting observing withdrawal again and it makes me tetchy!

David.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Saturn April 4 new [Re: David Gray]
      #5795363 - 04/12/13 08:52 PM

Quote:

Yes very much agree; and when they (accusers) say “art” I think they have in mind the more embellished types – what John Rogers (BAA Jupiter) calls “fairy castles”!

David

David, I hope you know that is not the context of "art" I was referring to. You do seem to take "accurate" measurements of the planet and make them beautiful to look at. I guess you could put numbers all over it, or list them as bright or vey bright. That would be more technical and less artsy. I prefer you keep up the good work.

I like Ivano's take on it.

David Gray
sage

Re: Saturn April 4 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5796086 - 04/13/13 07:38 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Norme,
Artist/artistry/art/draughtsman: perhaps I have come across as making too much of a deal on this. I will say at once that I have gratefully taken all the complimentary remarks on here as genuinely felt – even in my most paranoid moments!! I can usually spot the insult wrapped in a compliment type! No problem with “art” comments: my mother and aunt Florrie would be proud! Should hear what some back at the bakery called me!

When I commence a session I always try to routinely do intensity estimates of every feature I am sure of: could be 30 or more. Including some that are not strictly required on the BAA Saturn programme. I regard this as an essential prerequisite to doing drawings; after completing this I believe it gives more feel for getting the tones right on the drawing. It also leaves open the possibility of doing a retrospective drawing in special circumstances/requirements. So with every drawing, in the main, there is an accompanying prior one with “numbers all over it”: see attached!

David.

idp
sage

Reged: 08/21/09

Loc: New Haven, CT
      #5796106 - 04/13/13 08:14 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

I Counted 37 estimates on that sketch, and seeing was just average! Speaks volumes on how diameter helps on Saturn (and maybe on the advantages of a binoviewer, too?).

That's more or less the best I could do on Saturn with an 8" newton, but in excellent seeing, with rings wide open and when I didn't travel much. Then I started graduate school

Just a "technical" question: I assume like usual dark background sky = 10 and RingBinn = 1 (when rings are open enough), then I find it troublesome not to have an intermediate reference. Do you find the same? How do you manage?

Steady skies,

Ivano

David Gray
sage

Re: Saturn April 4 new [Re: idp]
      #5796181 - 04/13/13 09:11 AM

Quote:

Just a "technical" question: I assume like usual dark background sky = 10 and RingBinn = 1 (when rings are open enough), then I find it troublesome not to have an intermediate reference. Do you find the same? How do you manage?

Yes sky=10; but BAA has B outer (adjoin. Cassini) taken as 1 but I feel this is too variable throughout an apparition to trust: earlier I even got it as dull as 2.5; and brightens markedly around opposition (Seeliger). An intermediate would be nice: best I could think of is limb-shading - but dicey I reckon. I suppose it comes down to a lot of practice, and as I said earlier here I guess my baker's ovensmanship (50 yrs.) has given me more than a little edge with intensity judgement!

Can't believe it; turned nice outside - may be gone a while. Even longer if it clears (against forecast) tonight!!

David.

ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

#5796561 - 04/13/13 12:43 PM

Hi David,

Thanks for all of your sketching suggestions. Very interesting.

With regard to eyepieces for the planets here are a couple of articles I have written on comparisons of different eyepieces I have used over the years:

http://ejamison.net/equipment_reviews.html#2

It includes:

Zeiss Abbe Orthoscopics, Pentax SMC Orthoscopics, TeleVue Plossls, and University Optics Orthoscopics compared

Clave Plossls compared with TeleVue Plossls, Brandon Orthoscopics, and Aus Jena Orthoscopics

Clave Plossls compared with TeleVue 9mm Nagler

Clave Plossls compared with Zeiss Abbe Orthoscopics and Pentax SMC Orthoscopics

University Optics Orthoscopics compared with TeleVue Radians

Also TMB Super Monocentric Eyepieces:

http://ejamison.net/equipment_reviews3.html

Best,

Eric Jamison

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2105

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics