Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Mars! new [Re: stray1]
      #6329389 - 01/22/14 09:14 PM

Mark, your sketch seems to describe (what I would expect) exactly what Mars might look like in a smaller aperture at very low magnification. I hope that's a compliment of the highest order. Not so much because it was intended to be one, but more an observation that you captured very well what you probably should see. No doubt the polar cap is visible, and you very likely caught some darker feature(s). Mars is 90% illuminated but it "appears" more so to me and you captured that appearance nicely.

Your rendition has that certain glow, that certain windy condition feel to it. It's pretty much what I would expect to observe and how one might expect to observe it...if that makes sense. So, in sum, it's a great sketch and a great observation of a small red planet at relatively low power in windy and chilly conditions. In other words, spot on. You did well, good on you.

Edited by Asbytec (01/22/14 09:16 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stray1
sage

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: SW Ohio
M42 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6342291 - 01/29/14 02:51 AM Attachment (7 downloads)

Norme, thank you for the validation of my Mars observation. Big sigh of relief on seeing that "smudge"

Jason, I take it all back...I am that crazy (and stupid too!). This morning it is in the minus category temperature-wise (-6 to be exact) and where do you figure I was? Yup, out on the driveway, trying to balance on a thin sheet of ice, and freezing my fingers and toes off. My wife concurs with your assessment concerning my sanity; any experienced observer will validate my stupidity. Every piece of equipment that I store in the garage was darned near locked up tight. Heck, I could barely get the focus knob on my binos to turn and I won't even mention the glass on my EPs fogging up due the heat from my watering eyes.

At any rate, the sky was simply too clear and brilliant for me to pass up a rare opportunity so I bundled up and ventured out into the polar vortex. I have read so much about the super nova in M82 that my objective was to do a simple preliminary scouting out with the 10x50s and take a quick peek with one of my 60mm scopes. This turned out to be a bust all the way around. Realizing the futility of such an effort (considering the conditions), I opted for an easier target. Orion was blazing over my left shoulder, so I slewed over in that direction. I debated over what to focus on: Mintaka or M42? Since I had already sketched Mintaka last season, and since I had never really tried M42, I decided on the latter. Time was running short as I could feel the heat being sucked from my finger tips through the rather thin knit gloves that I was wearing every time I touched something...

Observation notes: through a 60mm scope using a 25mm EP M42 appeared as a vague, greenish blob surrounding the trapezium area. My eyes were watering up due to the cold so good focus was hard to achieve, still I was able to just make out a few of the individual stars within the nebula. This was not the best view I have had of M42, but still it was acceptable considering the foolishness of my venture.

Sketch notes: experienced observers will note that the sketch is hardly accurate in terms of star placement. I've stretched things out in certain areas and compressed them in others in order to include the most pertinent of stars in the cluster. The nebula itself was apparent but it was nowhere as clear and defined as I have sketched it (its greenish tinge is exaggerated for viewing purposes). I have arbitrarily represented its form and shape. Additionally, there were quite a number of stars up there that I did not include in the sketch (many of them were AV). In less hostile conditions, I would have taken the time to include them, but the cold was taking its toll on me.

Thanks for looking. I might make a more detailed sketch with the 90mm once it warms up to a temperature that is more survivable (like 12 F, or something like that).

-stray-

Edit: same sketch v2: added glow around the neb

Edited by stray1 (01/31/14 04:51 AM)

stray1
sage

Re: M42 new [Re: stray1]
      #6373159 - 02/12/14 09:10 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

Hello,

Seeing as how my heroes on this forum, i.e., Asbytec & Chopin, have tried their hands at lunar sketching (to me "where angels fear to tread") I've been thinking of doing the same.

Since I work in digital medium, my biggest concern is getting the lunar surface to look like the lunar surface--not the actual features: the craters, mountains, rilles and so forth--but the actual surface of the moon between those features.

This evening I "think" that I was able to come up with a workable template to represent these areas. What I am thinking is that I can use this as a basic "backdrop" to do my sketches on; adjusting brightness, contrast, etc. as per observing conditions and then blending my features into the template as I sketch them.

Whaddya think?

-stray-

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
      #6373304 - 02/12/14 10:19 PM

Mark, sorry I missed the M42 sketch. That's a great observation. Don't fret about skipping stars. Getting the feeling of the observation is often more important for me. And the temps, yeah, it hit 20F today! Downright balmy!

As for the lunar backdrop, I like it. I just did something similar with solar granulation for my future sunspot sketches. I've recently used a solar granulation photo as a backdrop layer in a sketch. I liked the result, but was unhappy that it wasn't created by me. So yeah, your idea is a great one. It's all about representing what we see as best as we can.

Looking forward to some craters and rilles.

stray1
sage

Re: M42 new [Re: Chopin]
      #6377174 - 02/15/14 02:25 AM Attachment (7 downloads)

Hey Chop,

Thank you for your comments on my M42 sketch!

Here is an experimental sketch using the new lunar surface template. I started out using a photo from Google images, then kinda went off on a freehand tangent. This is entirely digital, "painted" in Gimp using a Bamboo pad and stylus, then loaded to Paint.net to adjust brightness and contrast, plus some "noise" texture effects to simulate Luna's grainy surface. It did not come out all that hateful...

-stray-

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #6377180 - 02/15/14 02:32 AM

Mark, if you can translate that level of work from an eyepiece view, I think you will be onto something nice. Lunar craters do change slowly over time, more slowly and less dramatically than Jupiter. So, you have some time, almost as if sketching from a picture. There will be a lot to see and to take in, so you may find yourself discriminating over small areas.

Have at it, Mark, I like what I see. I am sure others will, as well. I am trying to dirty up my own sketches as they seem too clean and smooth. Maybe a template such as your might work.

stray1
sage

Re: M42 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6377182 - 02/15/14 02:42 AM

Hi Norme,

Yes, you are correct about EP viewing vs photo. It is the former that makes me hesitant--trying to get all of the detail correct while constantly adjusting for drift.

If you'd like, feel free to copy the template for use in your sketches. I'm working on a second "oblique" template for edge-on views, but getting the horizon correct is a study in frustration.

-stray-

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
      #6377667 - 02/15/14 12:31 PM

I love the result, Mark! I agree with Norme, that if you can translate this work to an eyepiece observation you are in the money.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2555

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics