Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
dweller25
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Lancashire, UK
Re: Jupiter 13 December new [Re: Uwe Pilz]
      #6255766 - 12/16/13 07:53 AM

Another great sketch Norme that I can enjoy whilst I wait for the clouds to go........

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Jupiter 13 December new [Re: dweller25]
      #6255922 - 12/16/13 09:53 AM

Norme, your sketches and observed detail of Jupiter are amazing. But, what really is amazing is the relatively modest equipment you use for those results.

Ed D

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter 13 December new [Re: Ed D]
      #6256747 - 12/16/13 06:11 PM

Guys, thank you. A lot of the credit goes to relatively good seeing with Jupiter on the zenith even in a modest aperture (which is amazing to me, as well.) It takes some effort to tease out all the detail from the relatively small disc at 174x. Over half hour or so, the paper sketch fill up with glimpses of this and that and notes until everything is there. Then another 15 minutes or so observing the trailing limb details, further rotated from the limb since the sketch began, helps finish it off. It's always a pleasure, so much so it's become an obsession.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Jupiter 13 December new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6256832 - 12/16/13 07:12 PM

OBSESSION!!!

Cologne for astronomers - its smells of ammonia and methane. Coming soon to a farm near you!

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (12/16/13 07:37 PM)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 13 December new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6256880 - 12/16/13 07:28 PM

Yea, I guess it's almost OCD level obsession. Hard time imaging Jove reeks of farm animal droppings, though. Maybe it does.

Man, talk about living with OCD, one weather chart says clear tonight, two others say clouds and rain. The visible loop doesn't show any disturbance coming this way. It's pretty clear out right now, in the AM, and the seeing is supposed to be stellar tonight. Gaaa! What does the future hold, and how is one to cope with these unknowns? Despite the predictions, I'm betting on clear weather...gonna cool the scope around 7PM and wait to see what develops. Been a few days since the skies have been doable.

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
      #6260222 - 12/18/13 02:29 PM

Norme,

Excellent sketch of Jupiter. I do like the colors used in this sketch. Congratulations on seeing LRS and WSZ. I haven't seen them since last year so I'm looking forward to finding them. I'm guessing on the sketch that the GRS is too far on the limb. Is that what you were referring to in your edit?.
Anyway another great sketch. You've been posting Jupiter sketches left and right. It's good that the seeing been cooperative and great.

Happy Holidays. Dean

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 13 December new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #6260710 - 12/18/13 06:40 PM

I forgot about that. I think that faint white oval in the south is on the other side of that darker spot and that darker cloud coming around the trailing limb in the north seems a bit to far placed from where images show it. Oh well.

Hey, congrats on both LRS and WSZ. This is my first time with LRS and second, I think, with WSZ.

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Re: Jupiter 13 December new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6261004 - 12/18/13 10:03 PM

Norme,

I wouldn't know about those fine details since I haven't seen such small features lately with the seeing. I thought for sure you were referring to GRS in your edit. Sorry about that. Your sketches are awesome.

Last year WSZ and LRS were pretty easy to see. It remains to be seen if I can view them again.

Dean

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
      #6261010 - 12/18/13 10:10 PM

Norme,

Somehow this beautiful sketch almost got by me.
Fantastic. Very subtle color here. Always impressed by your work.

Frank

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 13 December new [Re: frank5817]
      #6261308 - 12/19/13 04:23 AM

Boys, thank you. I hope you get some great views, too. It might finally clear tonight.

Dean, yea, the GRS was there at sketch start time. As you know, it wasn't there an hour later. Maybe it's all to easy to misplace smaller details. Good luck with the finer stuff.

Edited by Asbytec (12/19/13 04:46 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 682

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics