Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter 22 Dec 1600UT new [Re: Chopin]
      #6269574 - 12/23/13 10:03 PM

Kraterkid, thank you. I don't remember seeing your work lately, but I gather you're quite the sketch artist. You're reputation precedes you, even online.

Mike, I'm with you on the DSO observing. It's only recently that the planetary bug bit. My Mak arrived back in late 2010, it's a great scope. It's billed as a lunar and planetary telescope, but I am not sure what makes the so good. Longer focal length with a smaller FOV may make them ideal for smaller planetary images since wide field is more limited. That may be it. And surely a good 6" SCT is no slouch, either. I've been trying to understand what it is about the Mak, and I think it boils down to the conditions they operate in mostly. And it seems a 6" aperture is in a sweet spot here. They are great scopes regardless and, for me, have a great aesthetic appeal. With such views of Jupiter, Io, and Ganymede, among others, you can understand why I am smitten. I bet you will love your Mak, too. As Ed said, a 6" anything can show a lot and when conditions are diffraction limited for that aperture you're getting everything it can throw at you. And that's a lot.

Rut, thank you, sir. (He's a moddie, have to kiss up a little bit, look the other way if you're squeamish. )

Dean, thank you for chiming in. It's a curious thing, that EZ. Jason mentioned it was quite bright in his scope, and I am finding that to be the case, too, recently. It's been so difficult to pull festoons from the EZ. It no longer has that pale blue hue overall. I dunno if it's the better transparency or if the festooning is a bit weaker of late. In any case, the EZ is becoming difficult, it seems, lately.

Jason, Merry Christmas! You musta been not naughty last year.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Edited by Asbytec (12/23/13 10:08 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Jupiter 22 Dec 1600UT new [Re: Chopin]
      #6269582 - 12/23/13 10:09 PM

I tend to scrawl arrows, notes, parenthesis, dashes and dotted lines all over the page . Norme you've got it nicely under control.

Pete

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter 22 Dec 1600UT new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6269654 - 12/23/13 11:02 PM

Pete, with familiarity comes less need for notes, parenthesis, and such, so long as the sketch is still fresh. The sketch really is more of a reminder than a rendition, at least for me. Oh, yea, saw that faint thing up there, right about there and it looked like that. That kind of thing.

Hey, if you look, you will see where the northern hemisphere as a move arrow shifting the location of those features toward the preceding limb. My pencil lead fell out, it broke and fell out. Also, I was sketching NTB detail in the NTrZ which made sketching the NEB confusing. I had to start over.

So, I broke away, sharpened the pencil and redrew the template. To get caught up, I re-sketched everything back onto the new template and begin observing again. That took time.

But, I was drawing it as seen at that time, so the northern detail was lagging where it was at present and everything else was off. So, to fix that, had to rotate the northern portion to the limb. That needed annotation.

Merry Christmas, Pete, et al.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 428

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics