Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Roragi

Reged: 10/24/13

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Re: When do you do the actual Sketch? new [Re: Achernar]
      #6447156 - 04/04/14 12:47 PM

Always the sketches in the field, with a dim light began to make the most luminous object and then the stars, the important thing is to use an adjustable light intensity is best if homemade since they sell are trademarks dazzle, to my least those lights blind me. The only retouching is to round a house that was left star-shaped coma, then comes the processing as it came out and entered the computer field.

Regards and good beginnings.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
Re: When do you do the actual Sketch? new [Re: David Gray]
      #6447224 - 04/04/14 01:22 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

A dedicated/customized well-mounted drawing board goes a long way toward completing a drawing at the scope. See attached - also on my avatar!

I just dim the 'white' light for fainter objects - dont like red and abandoned that in the late 1960s.

I find thin gloves no real hinderance and get me by even on nights below -10ºC. Can't name the material - no label in mine - some sort of stretchable 'knitted'/woven acrylic acc. my wife!

DG

Edited by David Gray (04/04/14 01:33 PM)

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: When do you do the actual Sketch? new [Re: Roragi]
      #6449824 - 04/05/14 10:00 PM

I use what amounts to a small illuminated light box that has dozens of red LED's wired in parallel to each other and in series with a variable resistor. It produces just enough light to do the rough drawings, and the 850 milli-Amp/hour battery lasts for hours on a full charge. It is quite crude and roughly made, and took a lot of work to build the circuit but it is something I plan to work on refining to a more user friendly and handy version.

Taras

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: When do you do the actual Sketch? new [Re: Achernar]
      #6450055 - 04/06/14 12:49 AM

Yikes Dave - be sure to cover the fresnel by day lest the sun burns an impression all its own!!!

Pete

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: When do you do the actual Sketch? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6450262 - 04/06/14 05:29 AM

Ian,

You have received excellent advice from many experienced observers and artists. Although I believe that I have an excellent memory (helps me to remember many diseases and treatments!) I also believe that a sketch at the telescope (or at least a pre-sketch to note the major features noted) is the preferable method of observing. I always made my observations at the eyepiece for many years then I started to make my observation and immediately go indoors and complete my observation using a graphics tablet. I do not believe that I missed rendering any significant detail that was noted during an observing session but the risk of forgetting is always there. The different setups described are very useful and ingenious and may possibly help you to design something for your observations. David Grays description and images are a testament to a true and dedicated observer/artist. The best of luck in your own observations.

Regards,
Carlos

Philler
sage

Reged: 07/15/13

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: When do you do the actual Sketch? new [Re: ianfromoz]
      #6450278 - 04/06/14 05:57 AM

I try to do my sketching at the eyepiece using a small table. I use a stiff black sketching paper. Lately, I have been using soft white china markers for galaxies and my finger to soften the image. I try not to use a red LED while actually sketching, but if I do I keep it very low. I may also try soft white artist pencils again.
It was windy but clear last Monday night. So I had to keep charts, drawing material in the car and go back and forth to draw and check charts, with just scope and observing chair exposed to the wind. A lot of extra trouble, but I managed to get some sketching done. Last night it was clear and calm, but this time I had dew and frost to deal with. Still, I got some nice sketches of some Com/Virgo galaxies.

David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
Re: When do you do the actual Sketch? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6450339 - 04/06/14 07:58 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

Quote:

Yikes Dave - be sure to cover the fresnel by day lest the sun burns an impression all its own!!!

Pete

Yes Pete you were right to point out this hazard! Almost got my timepiece melted: (on the left side on the drawing board in my previous post/attachment).

Usually not a consideration with me as I avoid direct high sun in the observatory as much as possible. But I was caught out a couple of years back during some roof maintenance and the cloud broke unexpectedly – luckily saw the smoke off the timepiece in time and pushed the Fresnel up over the drawing board lid/shield: what I had carelessly failed to do the night before.

As you indicate a powerful ‘burning glass’ and just a fraction longer .…….!! The set button still works – with difficulty – but fortunately it keeps good time.

See attachment.

Thank you Carlos for those kind words -I too have a good memory for detail (semi-photographic I call it) and feel that this can develop in all of us with continued practice - in particular I flatter myself that I can carry a tint/hue in my head for some considerable time; even so try to get it recorded as soon as I can.

I suppose my method of aiming to get it all (or most) at the scope developed during my bakery days (retired now). Then I had to quickly close down and head off; dayshifts 4:30-5 a.m. – nightshift weeks: 8 p.m and sooner. So the more finished the less the stress worrying about any delayed finishing; and if I had done such I would have indicated it in any reporting - BAA etc.

As I say practice is the key.

Dave.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 756

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics