Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)
smokin oakum
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/07

Loc: Wilmington, NC
Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup.
      #2047199 - 12/12/07 10:12 PM

All the other forums have a place to do this. Why not us? I don't have my camera yet, but I will post a picture as soon as I get it. This will also allow people see different ways to place monitors, and other thing used along with the types of telescopes used.

Neil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
b1gred
Enginerd

Reged: 04/01/04

Loc: Castle Rock, CO 6677' MSL
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: smokin oakum]
      #2047258 - 12/12/07 10:37 PM

Yep, and I'll "sticky" it at the top!! Provide pix and they'll be here...

smokin oakum
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: b1gred]
      #2047271 - 12/12/07 10:44 PM

Quote:

Yep, and I'll "sticky" it at the top!! Provide pix and they'll be here...

Thanks Randy!

b1gred
Enginerd

#2047275 - 12/12/07 10:47 PM

At your service...

Edited by RandyR (12/12/07 10:48 PM)

kent
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/16/06

Loc: P.E.I. Canada
      #2047338 - 12/12/07 11:21 PM Attachment (1383 downloads)

Well this is the best I can do under these conditions

But look at the fun I'll have when the weather clears up

kent
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: kent]
      #2047341 - 12/12/07 11:24 PM Attachment (1017 downloads)

And a close up:

b1gred
Enginerd

#2047390 - 12/12/07 11:40 PM

Which system is that?

midway199

Reged: 04/21/04

Loc: Illinois
      #2047404 - 12/12/07 11:46 PM Attachment (1173 downloads)

Here's the humble beginning to my indoor control room. I'll be observing inside with the scope sitting outside (duh!) and eventually, the scope will be in a dog house that flips off when I'm ready to observe.

The clunker equipment includes laptops for scope control, star charts, internet image lookups, and musical ambiance. A PC with CRT monitor is used for image capture, and the 12" b/w monitor is primary observing screen. I use a program called Synergy to share a keyboard and mouse across all systems. The Little People "Fill-n-Go!" garage is for keeping me occupied between exposures.

midway199

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: midway199]
      #2047415 - 12/12/07 11:49 PM Attachment (978 downloads)

Here's the newest addition, a NexStar 11 with the StellaCam 3.

kent
scholastic sledgehammer

#2047479 - 12/13/07 12:09 AM

Quote:

Which system is that?

Sorry about that. It's the older version Mallincam Hyper Color. Which I've not yet become familiar with. Attached to a Meade LX200R 14". And all the talk about high resolution monitors and all I have used so far is a old 12" RCA T.V.

Astro Sky
Vendor (Astro Sky)

Reged: 05/06/06

Loc: Iowa, Louisiana, USA
      #2047486 - 12/13/07 12:10 AM Attachment (889 downloads)

Celestron 11 & Orion 100mm refractor on CI-700 Eq. mount.
B/W MallinCam PRO ULTRA upgraded 2.1 to 56 sec. with peltier cooler and wires remote control.Radio Shack 9" DVD player ,also DVD recorder.

James G.

Paul Milligan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: 54°12.0' N; 4°25' W
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Astro Sky]
      #2047798 - 12/13/07 06:04 AM Attachment (825 downloads)

There are some real nice setups here.
Here are a few photos of my rig.

Takahashi Epsilon 160 Astrograph
GStar-EX CCD Integrating Video Camera
DigitalMedia MP4 Recorder.

Keep the photos coming!

Paul Milligan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: 54°12.0' N; 4°25' W
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Paul Milligan]
      #2047799 - 12/13/07 06:05 AM Attachment (542 downloads)

Side on View

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: In the Primordial Soup
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Paul Milligan]
      #2047911 - 12/13/07 08:41 AM

This camera does duty as an electronic finder. It is a Mallincam attached to a modified Stellarvue F50 finder. The finder is attached to a 10" SCT OTA.

Heres is my video camera that actually gets the most use. It is a GStar-EX B&W that has a 2.6mm lens attached. It use to monitor where the scope is pointing and where the dome's slit is. It is attached to the side of a SV102APO.

Snaproll
Postmaster

Reged: 02/20/04

Loc: Green Bay
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: JAT Observatory]
      #2048109 - 12/13/07 10:28 AM

Very nice pictures!

I went the "bottom feeder" route a couple times. I used VNC via wireless to control my laptop out by the scope which was running autostar and an LPI, from the ancient PC in my office. Kinda funny thinking that the scope was about 50 feet away, yet the computer control was going miles and miles to some server, who knows where, back to my router and then broadcast to my laptop out in the cold... while I was inside toasty warm.

Like I say, a bottom feeder application, but it worked, I could see and image Saturn remotely and control the scope

Edited by Snaproll (12/13/07 10:29 AM)

AstroTasmania

Reged: 12/12/07

Loc: Tasmania Australia
      #2048908 - 12/13/07 04:22 PM Attachment (582 downloads)

Hi,

Here is a link to what I was able to do because I had a suitable video system. I was able to broadcast via the Discovery Channel, the total lunar eclipse 28th August, live as it happened together with two other widely separated observatories, to the rest of the world. Follow the link and follow each hyper link for the full story.And how The Imaging Source in Germany, sponsored my part by donating a 1/2" colour firewire camera.

http://www.astronomycamerasblog.com/2007/08/27/total-lunar-eclipse-on-discovery-science-channel-tv/

Eventually, a DVD will be produced of the entire project.

Links to various albums which show many of my video / telescope systems:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AstroTasmania

Clear skies...
Shevill

Douglas
Vendor - Night Vision Astronomy

Reged: 05/21/07

Loc: Pound Ridge, NY
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: AstroTasmania]
      #2049083 - 12/13/07 05:39 PM

12.5" Obsession with ArgoNavis, ServoCat, Wireless 232 Starry Night Pro, Wireless Video Transmission transmitting to 50" plasma in living room, WATEC Monitor on Upper Tube Assembly ... I'm Lovin It !!!

Douglas

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Douglas]
      #2049101 - 12/13/07 05:45 PM

Here's M27 on the 50" Plasma in the Living Room

JimW
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/31/04

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
      #2049119 - 12/13/07 05:50 PM

WOW! What kind of skies are you dealing with? If you tell me suburban light pollution, it could cost me a lot of money (after Christmas).

midway199

#2049128 - 12/13/07 05:52 PM

Douglas, can you describe your wireless video setup? Particularly how you position the transmitter and receiver to get a clean signal? I purchased one from B&H recently and was not impressed, so I decided to return it.

Douglas

#2049252 - 12/13/07 06:40 PM

Jim, you're gonna hate me ... that shot was during an almost full moon! And ... it was my first shot with the camera!!

Matthew: I purchased the wireless video transmitter/receiver from www.vfmstore.com and purchased optional high gain antenna but often I use the small stock antenna with no problem. I am sending the signal about 40 feet, to my living room. The signal goes through the exterior wall of the house but I also have a window and keep the receiver near the window. There isn't direct line of sight but the transmission is still strong and stable. I have used the system without having the receiver near the window and it still works. You can order the transmitter/receiver on a 2.4 or 1.2 Ghz signal.

I hate the cold but love the winter targets, this is the way to go when it's too cold out there.

- Doug

MikeML
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/09/04

Loc: NJ
      #2049414 - 12/13/07 07:40 PM Attachment (520 downloads)

Here's my Watec 120N set up as a guide camera on a William Optics 66SD. I feed the video into my laptop with a generic video to USB converter even though I was given a B&W CRT with the camera. The CRT is just too much bulk to haul around.
I've used the camera for guiding, out reach and to capture some images (just to show what it can do).
It's a fun piece of equipment.

Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: MikeML]
      #2049553 - 12/13/07 08:48 PM

Here's an old picture of my MallinCam Pro (B&W) in action one frosty November evening a couple years ago. Mars was the target at the time if I recall correctly.

It's really cool to see video astro start to be discovered by so many people (and get it's own place on the forum too!)!! I've had a lot of fun in the almost 4 years I've been using mine, and I'm still on ancient tech compared to what is available today.

If anyone is interested in seeing the various things I've done with mine (using various different scopes), have a look in the photos section of the forums here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=2069&cat=500

Some really cool looking setups you guys all have BTW!

Cheers,

-Gord

b1gred
Enginerd

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Gord]
      #2050026 - 12/14/07 12:36 AM

Is that ice and frost on your scope?

kent
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: AstroTasmania]
      #2050162 - 12/14/07 04:11 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights Shevill! Great video of the eclipse! Boy looks like you have your hands full there in that picture. Could you give us a rundown on all your toys there? Is that a fork mounted square reflector? Like I said glad you could join us here at C-N

Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
      #2050564 - 12/14/07 10:44 AM

Yes Randy, *extremely* heavy frost, and this was only by late evening.

This was from when I was living in Ottawa and the area seems to suffer from pretty high humidity, even in the colder months. Part of the reason it feels so cold there I think. In summer this would have just been a dewy night, but with the temps below freezing, you get frost. Really heavy frost.

I believe this was the same night as I was looking for Mars' moons (see my thread on planets for what it looked like).

-Gord

rodelaet
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/06

Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)
      #2051095 - 12/14/07 03:31 PM Attachment (527 downloads)

Hi folks,

It's great to have a specific forum for these tools. Thanks to the admins for the support!!

I have a Watec 120N.
Here is a picture of my set-up. Don't laugh! It's a little 50mm finder modified for the camera. It provides great widefield views.

Here is a link to my site where are a few shots with a 6mm lens, a 50mm lens and an ETX 105. Some shots with the Watec 120N.

I use the 50mm lens as a reference for my visual 4 inch observations. The 50mm Watec combo goes deeper than my 4 inch scope visually.

Clear skies,

AstroTasmania

Reged: 12/12/07

Loc: Tasmania Australia
      #2053381 - 12/15/07 07:02 PM

Hi Kent,

The main scope is a homebuilt fork mounted 12" f/5 Newtonian with drives on RA & DEC plus digital setting circles to Argo Navis and a laptop running Starry Night Pro Plus. it is one in a line of experimental designs, which are a test bed for a fork mounted 16" under construction.

Mounted on the square tube is a varied collection of other scopes, which get changed around from time to time.

I use Moonlite CR-1 Focuser's on several of my scopes, the 12", Meade SN-10, SW 150mm f/8 refractor, Tak Mewlon 210 with a Mathers mod adapter, & a 16" f/4.5 Newtonian under construction, they are all motorised for manual & electronic PC control.

Essentially: on one side is a WO Megrez 80SD (or a Megrez 90 APO) used with a Coronado 40 BF10 H-alpha system or as a guide scope. Next is a Tak FS-102 with home made motorised focuser, used for various- but often for white light solar with a Herschel Solar Wedge. Next is a Sky Watcher 102 f/10 achromatic fitted with a Baader Mark IV Ha-alpha Solar Coronograph, used visually or with either DSLR's, Video or Firewire cams. A 7" LCD monitor takes 2 video finder feeds, wide angle & narrow angle. Switch from wide to narrow.

Main 12" scope always has a camera on it of some sort, I rarely use any of my scopes visually.
The focuser & diagonal are mounted on a sliding plate to allow use of focal reducers to get me down to around f/1.3.
I need to swap to a larger diagonal when doing this.

And the smaller diagonal is used when doing planetary with the Televue 2" 4 x Powermate, racked out away from the mirror.

On the opposite side to balance the whole assembly is either a Tak Mewlon 210, for solar system objects, or a SW 6" F/8 achromat.

There are various computers for image acquisition video & still, plus a Casablanca DVD AVIO PC with a 500GB drive as a dedicated video capture & editor, which I can connect to a PC and export/import various image/video files to make complete movies. With this AVIO, I can do all sorts of video enhancements/effects, speed up a 3-hour eclipse to only 2 minutes and the list is endless.

OK, that is the gear in the 4-metre rotating observatory.

I am building a new smaller obs of my own design, to take my BIG Alhena GEM with a Tak E180ED f/2.8 astrograph, Meade SN-10 and the Tak Mewlon 210. The pier can be raised & lowered to get ow down horizon views when needed.Driven with a Astro FS2 controller, it also has twin high res shaft encoders to connect to the Argo Navis for a push to for quick all sky views for visitors.

Lastly, I have a little EQ6 as my portable mount which has a selection of scopes/cameras etc, ( SW shortened 4" f/5 with Denkmeier bino's & a PST for quick a look see at the sun before opening up the main dome. This sits on our front patio. I am setting it up with EQMOD to drive directly from a laptop and Starry Night pro Plus 6, a much better solution that the V3xx hand paddle. A Star NX-1 GPS (Chris Carson in Canada)slots into the PC and links to EQMOD.

As associate editor for SKY & SPACE Magazine, a lot of my 'spare' time is taken up with it and associated projects.

Clear skies...

Edited by AstroTasmania (12/15/07 07:11 PM)

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
      #2054781 - 12/16/07 01:07 PM

Neil,

Here is a picture of my rig at New Mexico Skies in June of 2005. It shows my 17.5" AstroSystems TeleKit with self-contained 26 AH battery box and carry-along table for Laptop and DVD Player. The laptop is now moved off to the side as I use AirCables and SkyTools to control the ServoCAT positioning. The DVD player now sits where the laptop in the picture was and other "stuff" occupies the DVD player tray. I have cleaned up the wiring somewhat by velcoring it to the truss tubes under the shroud. I also have added a Watec-35 3.5" LCD right next to the FeatherTouch focuser to aid in focusing and menu selection. It provides the best live images of any device I have used to date. It is small at 3.5", and that is why I also have a second monitor on the table for others to look at. The camera in the picture is a MallinCam PRO DOB B&W (an older camera with no cooling and limited to 2.1 second integrations). With this setup, I was able to see all 5 galaxies in Hickson 50 while at New Mexico Skies - down to magnitude 20.

Jack

smokin oakum
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #2054808 - 12/16/07 01:19 PM

Jack, That really IS one tricked out telescope. I really like the table on the back of the scope for anything you might be using that night.

Clear skies, and keep in touch!
Neil

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#2055457 - 12/16/07 06:54 PM

Allen at AstroSystems says it is a TeleKit that no longer looks like one. I wanted to be able to carry everything on the scope. The battery on the front of the rocker offsets the weight of the table and its contents and is capable of powering the MallinCam, Watec-35, ServoCAT, Argo Navis, AIrCables and the secondary dew heater all night long.

Jack

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

Reged: 04/16/06

Loc: Utah
      #2055828 - 12/16/07 09:30 PM

Jack;

Any pictures of your C6-R setup? Too, how did you attach the 6.3 focal reducer to this scope? I'm just about ready to get on the waiting list, but still don't know which scope to use. I really like the refractor with the Atlas mount, but the LX200 might be an easier setup. Since I see you have both these scopes, which to you prefer, not counting that beautiful Dob.

Bill

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Bill Cowles]
      #2055913 - 12/16/07 10:08 PM

Bill,

Years ago, I had a machinist friend make me the two parts needed to adapt the Celestron f/6.3 FR to the 2" drawtube on my 6" refractor. You can now buy them for a lot less money from Scope Stuff.

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_taep.htm

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_adt2.htm

Buy one of each and place the f/6.3 FR in the middle. You can now slip the 2" male end into the focuser and place a 2: dagonal in the other end - and your scope will now be f/5.

Jack

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2056035 - 12/16/07 11:18 PM

Jack-Thanks, thought I read that ScopeStuff had such an adapter, but could never find it.

Bill

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Loc: Loc:
      #2056169 - 12/17/07 12:46 AM Attachment (334 downloads)

Quote:

I really like the refractor with the Atlas mount, but the LX200 might be an easier setup.

Bill, the ScopeStuff adapters are the ones I use with my F6.3 FR on my Celestron 6" refractor. Here is a picture of mine that might help. I install mine directly into the focuser and then the diagonal...works great and comes to focus.

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Sky Captain]
      #2056236 - 12/17/07 01:59 AM Attachment (395 downloads)

Here is a photo of the AVS I took to last years Mt St. Helens Star Party. The camera used was the SuperCircuits PC164C-EX mounted behind the 4" F1.8 lens. The monitor is an LCD 7" TFT. I wanted to finally test this setup at a dark sky site. Orion showed up pretty well, Andromeda was a little weak, but no other DSO's showed up. This camera kills on the planets, moon, and the sun though, and that's on my longer FL refractors and 10" SCT.

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#2056243 - 12/17/07 02:09 AM Attachment (378 downloads)

Here is a close up of the camera and lens.

sdbodin

Reged: 02/04/07

Loc: Eastern Washington State
      #2057317 - 12/17/07 04:40 PM Attachment (419 downloads)

My scopes setup for high-mag viewing, doubles stars or planets. Main videocam is a Mintron 63V2HN, sold by Polaris as their DX8263SL, now superceeded by the DX9263SL. It is attached with a C-Minolta mount which then fits my assortment of camera lenses and, in this case, a 3x teleconverter. The nice thing about this setup is that it is parafocal, from prime focus thru 6x, yes the teleconverters are stackable and remain parafocal.

Also, the 4 inch guide below the main OTA is setup as a high power finder with a Samsung cam and 0.33 focal reducer.

Above is a Supercircuits PC164 on a 15x50 zoom as a general wide field finder.

All are plumbed to a viewing console with 13" color TV, one of the $89 type, a $29 BW for the finder and an SVHS for recording.

The eyepiece rack in the console has gathered a lot of dust, not much used anymore.

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2057387 - 12/17/07 05:19 PM

Kerry - Thanks and what a grate looking video setup. I'm from Oregon and there can't be a Sunny Washington, thats an oxymoron. Are you going to equip the Green Goblin for video?

Bill

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2057400 - 12/17/07 05:24 PM

Kerry, got you mixed up with, is it Sky Captain, that has the green LB? Your the one with all the nice machined items and way too many scopes.

Bill

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#2057569 - 12/17/07 06:56 PM

Quote:

Kerry - Thanks and what a grate looking video setup. I'm from Oregon and there can't be a Sunny Washington, thats an oxymoron.

Sarcastic is more like what I was shootin fer...I wish it was "sunny" here!
Born and raised in Oregon.

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#2057581 - 12/17/07 07:02 PM

Quote:

Kerry, got you mixed up with, is it Sky Captain, that has the green LB? Your the one with all the nice machined items and way too many scopes.

Bill

The "green goblin" is Jay's...mine is the white one.
Yep, too many scopes and only two eyes and no clear skies.

I will be ordering a Round Table Platform and will put the camera on the LightBridge for sure. The 10" SCT at f6.3 is very impressive, can't wait to see what the 12" f5 will do.

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: sdbodin]
      #2057588 - 12/17/07 07:05 PM

Quote:

My scopes setup for high-mag viewing, doubles stars or planets. Main videocam is a Mintron 63V2HN, sold by Polaris as their DX8263SL, now superceeded by the DX9263SL.

Real nice Steve...how do you like the Polaris camera? I was tempted to buy one myself last year. Are they still avaliable?

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2058023 - 12/17/07 10:10 PM

Kerry - I really want to add a roundtable to my LB, but it's the Mellincam or a table, not both. I know that I will get the necessary feed back from you on the platform with your LB. I think I will start out with my C6-R and go form there. I'm also looking to do video presentations for our public star parties and a go-to is sure nice to have. Since I got the Atlas mount I tend to take the Refractor out more than the LB and over the past year our club has been adding more large Refractors and seeing less and less 10" Blue things,I do see 12" LB's however.

Did you add something to your avatar?

Bill

sdbodin

#2058072 - 12/17/07 10:30 PM Attachment (314 downloads)

Quote:

Real nice Steve...how do you like the Polaris camera? I was tempted to buy one myself last year. Are they still avaliable?

Still in the catalog, polarisusa.com. Still the best deal on the planet, $250, if you want to get your feet wet in video astro.

I can't do without it, now three years old and still ticking. But I modded it with a fan and remote cable for the OSD.

rodelaet
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/06

Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)
      #2059627 - 12/18/07 04:19 PM Attachment (350 downloads)

Here is a simple portable undriven setup. It consists of a small 50mm viewfinder plus a Watec 120N. I use it with my laptop for monitoring. It provides widefield views of about 2. The wide fov makes it easy to aim the scope without a Telrad or the like .Star trails are not visible with the shutter below or at 2,5 sec (64 frames integrated).

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#2060371 - 12/18/07 10:28 PM

Quote:

Still in the catalog, polarisusa.com. Still the best deal on the planet, $250, if you want to get your feet wet in video astro.

I can't do without it, now three years old and still ticking. But I modded it with a fan and remote cable for the OSD.

Sorry Steve, I didn't realize I had already bought one this past summer. I only used it once so far. Its the new model from SuperCircuits that has a super low S\N ratio...4 or 5db I think, most have 50 db to 60db S\N ratio.

Here is the link to the camera at SuperCircuits. # PC58C

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#2060376 - 12/18/07 10:34 PM

Quote:

Loc: Not So Sunny Washington

Quote:

Did you add something to your avatar?

Bill

After your comment, I realized that "Sunny" might mean a town and confuse people, so in light of all the RAIN lately, I changed it to "Not So Sunny Washington"

sdbodin

#2060488 - 12/18/07 11:25 PM

Quote:

I don't know if that is the same camera. Does it integrate to x128 like all Mintron Starlight models??

Not so sunny here either only one clear night this month

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
      #2060868 - 12/19/07 07:19 AM

Quote:

Sorry Steve, I didn't realize I had already bought one this past summer. I only used it once so far. Its the new model from SuperCircuits that has a super low S\N ratio...4 or 5db I think, most have 50 db to 60db S\N ratio.

Just to be clear to everyone, when dealing with electronic circuits you WANT a higher signal to noise (S/N) ratio... it represents, logarithmically, the difference between the signal (in dB) and noise (in dB)... higher is better...

Hopefully the "4 or 5 dB" is a typo, because a 4-5dB S/N ratio is terrible, frankly... now, 4-5 dB better, would obviously be good...

Ha - I *did* get to use something I learned as a EE in college after all!

clear skies

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2060873 - 12/19/07 07:22 AM

I'm pretty sure they are NOT the same camera... the one at Polaris is spec'd at 0.008 Lux low light, the one at SuperCircuits is spec'd at 0.015 Lux... this would be about 1/2 as sensitive as the Polaris...

Disclaimer: that is what the specs on the websites say!

clear skies

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#2061182 - 12/19/07 10:59 AM Attachment (267 downloads)

Quote:

I don't know if that is the same camera. Does it integrate to x128 like all Mintron Starlight models??

Not so sunny here either only one clear night this month

--------------------
Steve

You are right Steve, it isn't the "same" camera. I use this seperate camera for the Planets, Sun, and Moon. I didn't realize yours intergrated frames, this one is only 30fps. It does a much better job IMO, and with the very low db rating the images are much better and a little clearer. I will run it on my 4" f10 refractor on the Meade GPS mount and put my Mintron on the SCT for DSO's. This allows viewing many different objects without having to change cameras or settings.

This is a similar picture of how I use it.

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Bowmoreman]
      #2061192 - 12/19/07 11:02 AM

Quote:

Just to be clear to everyone, when dealing with electronic circuits you WANT a higher signal to noise (S/N) ratio... it represents, logarithmically, the difference between the signal (in dB) and noise (in dB)... higher is better...

Hopefully the "4 or 5 dB" is a typo, because a 4-5dB S/N ratio is terrible, frankly... now, 4-5 dB better, would obviously be good...

Ha - I *did* get to use something I learned as a EE in college after all!

clear skies

--------------------
Dave

Sorry...yep, typo on my part...4.5db not S\N ratio.

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2061573 - 12/19/07 02:55 PM

No worries, I was just confused enough to check into both of em!

I kinda like the looks of a .008Lux sensitivity B/W camera for only $250! not bad...

clear skies

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2070041 - 12/23/07 04:36 PM

Kerry - What size Round Table did you order? It seems that 23" is just on the border for the LB base. Too, is it around 6 to 8 weeks to get.

Bill

smokin oakum
Carpal Tunnel

#2070057 - 12/23/07 04:47 PM

Quote:

Kerry - What size Round Table did you order? It seems that 23" is just on the border for the LB base. Too, is it around 6 to 8 weeks to get.

Bill

I ended up getting the 28" RTP (same price) just in case I ever upgrade to a 15" dob. It should also be a little more stable with a 12"er.

As far as wait time is concerned, Brian at round table said 8 weeks. Worth the wait, if you ask me.

Neil

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2086552 - 12/31/07 10:14 PM Attachment (358 downloads)

So, finally hooked up the WATEC, the transmitter, etc... I setup wires (which look really messy here!) through cable guides, with sufficient slack to prevent cable wrap/binding. I've also hooked up the Kendrick Anti-dew system on the Primary optic, the EP, and the finder (front and back).

Here you see the MCHP, Vixen/MoonLite, Watec piggybacked, and in position to be viewing M42 (which you can just make out on the 19" Proton Monitor in the back).

Video is setup to have S-video to the Watec (through a Radio Shack Svideo to RCA adapter, and then to RCA/BNC). The component video out of MCHP goes to the Proton, and then video OUT on Proton to the VFM 1.2Ghz transmitter... (which I used only long enough tonight to determine it works just fine through 2 walls (one observatory, one house)).

Clear enough Skies

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

#2109291 - 01/10/08 01:35 AM

Those are color 128x integration-time (Sense-UP) cameras, no active cooling.

Mintron 63V2HN = PolarisUSA DX8263SL
Sony type-1/3" color SuperHAD CCD

Mintron 63V5HN = PolarisUSA DX9263SL = SuperCircuit PC-38
Sony type-1/3" color SuperHAD CCD

Price: around $250.

(No affiliation with these vendors.)

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

smokin oakum
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #2133388 - 01/20/08 01:12 PM Attachment (341 downloads)

Well I thought that even though I don't have my full setup until I get my RTP (round table platform) next week, I could at least post a picture of the monitor/laptop rig that holds all of my viewing equipment, and anything else that I would need during a nights session. On the top shelf, on the left is the Speco 9" color CRT. On the top right is my Toshiba laptop fitted with the AVer TV/capture card. Notice the remote control in front of the Speco. This allows me to take care of all the capture card functions, while at the focuser. On the second shelf sits all my eye pieces, and filters, plus my toUcam. On the third shelf I keep calibrating tools, chords, and last but not least, my Mallincam. This is an AV cart, and everything plugs into it, and only one power chord needs to be on the ground to step over, or be in the way. I think, for me, that this is a perfect solution for a self contained viewing rig. In a week, I'll post a picture of the whole rig with scope, RTP, Mallincam, and AV cart all hooked up and ready for some stars.

Sorry it took so long to post a picture on my own post.

Clear skies!
Neil

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2133488 - 01/20/08 01:52 PM

Nice idea, Neil! I like the idea of the powered video cart... I wonder if there are any with really BIG wheels that could work in a yard (especially on frozen bumpy ground)...

that might make it easier to get it all going even when its so very cold out

Or, I suppose something could be built...

ya got me thinking!

clear enough skies

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #2133790 - 01/20/08 04:08 PM

Quote:

Nice idea, Neil! I like the idea of the powered video cart... I wonder if there are any with really BIG wheels that could work in a yard (especially on frozen bumpy ground)...

Dave,

Have a look at the Multicart ... not cheap but nice and versatile, and there is a large model has the heavier tires that would work well over semi rough terrain.

richs

Reged: 01/21/08

Loc: California, USA
      #2188979 - 02/13/08 03:14 PM Attachment (359 downloads)

Here's a picture of my present setup for the Mallincam, everything is working great and it has been a big hit at Star Parties.

Rich Strobel

Edited by richs (02/13/08 03:16 PM)

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: richs]
      #2189548 - 02/13/08 06:57 PM

Just what I need, more gear for my MCHP, which I don't even have yet. I guess I could use it to store my Speco monitor, until my MCHP comes. Where did you get the cart?

Bill

richs

#2189777 - 02/13/08 08:30 PM

Bill
The cart is a Rock n Roller and I got it from HandTrucksRus at the below address.They make several models, I have the R10

http://www.handtrucksrus.com/crashdetail.aspx?id=219&cx=rock

Rich

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2189920 - 02/13/08 09:24 PM

Rich, thanks, probably could even use to move my 12" LB.

Bill

richs

#2189967 - 02/13/08 09:41 PM

Bill
These are really great carts as they e-x-p-a-n-d to almost double so a lot of stuff can be transported and they are rated to carry 500 lbs. My nieghbor has one and when I saw that it had bars that came up on both ends to support a table top my brains gears started turning, it has worked out well so far.
Rich

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2190188 - 02/13/08 10:54 PM

Rich
Do you have any more pictures of your scope and the MCHP setup. I will start with my Dob., but without GoTo and only the Speco to focus, might have to brake out my LX200. I really like the idea of the small monitor for focusing especially around a crowd of other scopes.

Bill

richs

#2190324 - 02/13/08 11:51 PM Attachment (311 downloads)

Bill
Here is another picture, a closeup of the back of the telescope with the Mallincam and the Marshall 4" monitor. I used a 6" angle bracket attached to the fork arm with "Industrial Strength" velco which has proved out to be very strong, I then attached the monitor to the bracket with a camera ball mount. The 4" has been beneficial because I do allot of public Star Parties where the 9" Speco is facing away from the telescope which would make camera adjustments, object centering and focusing difficult.

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2190741 - 02/14/08 08:36 AM

Hey Rich, what is that that appears to be on your TelRad??? a plexi housing? for dew?

clear enough skies

richs

#2190984 - 02/14/08 10:41 AM

Dave
Yes it is a dew shield and has worked quite well.

Rich

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2192099 - 02/14/08 06:56 PM

Rich
What is before your MCHP or is that part of your TV diagonal. I really like how you have your Marshall attached. If I have to add a second monitor, think it will be the Marshall. Too, what size Celestron is that? You are giving me second thoughts about using a Dob., at least at first.

Bill

richs

#2192363 - 02/14/08 08:50 PM

Bill
The piece in front of the diagonal is a Televue 2" visual back, it screws onto the back of the telescope then the diagonal slides into it. The telescope is a Celestron Nexstar GPS 8". Each type of telescope has it's advantages and disadvantages but I like the SCT's best for an all around telescope. I own a 15" Obsession, a TEC 140 Refractor plus a few more but I use the SCT the most. I notice you are into Solar too, I have a DayStar Ha but unfortunately won't be able to use it with the Mallincam as the focal ratio is too high, I have to use a 55mm eyepiece to get the whole Sun in.

Rich

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2197183 - 02/17/08 12:03 AM

Rich

I have to have one of these carts. How hard or long does it take to put that top shelf on?

Bill

richs

#2197839 - 02/17/08 11:38 AM

Bill, what I did was go to Home Depot and bought a 12"x36" shelf top made by Rubbermaid and drilled it and the cart handles for 1/4x20 and used wing nuts on the bottom to facilitate easy install and take down, it only takes a minute or 2.

Rich

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2197871 - 02/17/08 11:51 AM

Rich, great idea, thanks.

Bill

b1gred
Enginerd

#2198552 - 02/17/08 04:36 PM

Ok, guys, there have now been at least 4 off topic posts.

I will lock this thread if it continues.

Please take your discussions that are NOT part of Posting pictures of your setup to another thread.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
      #2226170 - 02/28/08 09:45 PM Attachment (280 downloads)

I just built this rail system, and made the 1.5" adapter for this 4"schmidt.

It will be my new video system.

I now have a scope for DSLR, EP imaging, and now video.

Rob

Astrojunk

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Australia
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: rwiederrich]
      #2235161 - 03/04/08 09:08 AM Attachment (238 downloads)

My baby with Gstars top and tail ...

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Astrojunk]
      #2235856 - 03/04/08 03:42 PM

Are those cameras B/W or color?

How do you track(if any)?

Rob

Astrojunk

Reged: 11/02/06

#2237020 - 03/05/08 03:06 AM

They are both b/w Rob. I do have a cheap colour cam which is fun, but I really like the increased resolution and much finer detail in the b/w.

The setup is primarily deigned for asteroidal occultation timing; the video stuff is a fun spin-off.

The whole scope is servocat/argonavis driven, and can be controlled remotely (all except for the focussers which I haven't done yet). More about the scope here: http://www.sdmtelescopes.com.au/SDM006.html

Regards,

Jonathan

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#2237496 - 03/05/08 11:34 AM

Quote:

They are both b/w Rob. I do have a cheap colour cam which is fun, but I really like the increased resolution and much finer detail in the b/w.

The setup is primarily deigned for asteroidal occultation timing; the video stuff is a fun spin-off.

The whole scope is servocat/argonavis driven, and can be controlled remotely (all except for the focussers which I haven't done yet). More about the scope here: http://www.sdmtelescopes.com.au/SDM006.html

Regards,

Jonathan

Sweet set-up Jonathan. I am running two B/W cameras seporately on my rig...one through the schmidt, and the other through a 4"f/5 telephoto conversion scope on the side.

They run through a single 4 sub screan monitor..so I can keep track of both views simultaneously or individually.

I wish the cool down wasn't such a problem with the schmidt. My views are a bit (mushy) at times of thermal activity. OH well... Other then that, I am pleased with what I'm playin with at this time.

What I love about video, is, if the image is upside down due to the scope, you can simply turn the camera upside down, and correct....and make the images upright...
I also like to use a video camera for guiding. Just hook up to the guide scope, and watch the image on the screen, and adjust. No more sitting there looking through an EP any more. I manually guide.

Thanks for posting.

Rob

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
      #2242411 - 03/07/08 03:43 PM Attachment (332 downloads)

There are lots of pics of cameras here but nothing on image intensifier eyepieces. So if it is not violating a rule or something I would like to post a pic of my equipment and a short observing report.

Observing Report 3/6/08
My wife and I spent March 1-3 at a house on the beach at Folly Beach, SC. This house is located on the north end of the island, right on the ocean. The deck on the back of the house faces due South. Because this is a Sea Turtle habitat no lights are allowed on the beach itself most of the year. Since this was off-season there were very few other houses in the area that were occupied. All this combined with a very dark, clear Moonless sky made for near perfect viewing conditions for the southern half of the sky globe.

That was the good news. The bad news was that because of space concerns in the car I had only taken a 8X32 roof prism binocular and a 62mm f/5 spotting scope. This little scope works decent as a low power spotting scope but struggles with anything over 40X. However, I had a secret weapon system, my home made IIE ( Image Intensifier Eyepiece) and .6 focal reducer.. Still, my expectations weren't all that great using the system with such a small optic. I had used this combination a couple of months ago at one of my astro club members back yard. It was pretty light polluted and there was some haze and thin clouds that night. The 62mm refractor with IIE and focal reducer was underwhelming that particular night.

At the beach house I mounted the scope on a lightweight tripod. Using the IIE without the focal reducer I scanned several open clusters and could easily see 2-3 times as many stars when I compared the view with a 25mm plossl. M3, the large globular cluster in Canes Venatici was just a faint, small smudge at 12X with the plossl ep. With the IIE it was easily 3 times larger in diameter and brightness and some edge granularity was starting to show. Hmmm, promising.

The real fun was began when I used the scope in spyglass mode. This is hand holding it without a star diagonal so with the IIE it gives a correct image right side up. I also added the focal reducer so the magnification was about 8X. And TFOV close to 6.

First I looked at Orion. All 3 belt stars and M42 fit into the fov. The Orion Nebula was a brilliant, diffused beacon. The Flame Nebula was easy and the notch of the Horsehead, although small, was distinct. For grins I decided to look for the Witch Head Nebula.
Although I did not see that object the SW arc of Barnard's Loop was visible! This was not plotted on my S&T Pocket Sky Atlas! Up to the west of Meissa, the giant's head, I could see a large but dim nebulosity that was also not plotted on the Pocket Sky Atlas. I have since found out it is the Meissa Ring (thanks, Doug!) It was beginning to look like this was the little scope that could, under the right circumstances.

Slightly to the west the California Nebula was surprisingly bright and detailed, filling about 2/3 the fov. In Perseus IC 1848 and IC 1805 were huge, diffuse objects. NGC 281, the Pacman Nebula was a small but definite object in Cassiopeia. The Pacman's mouth was barely detectable.

Back over to almost due south I found the Rossette Nebula to be surprisingly bright with some details visible. An almost perfect sphere of nebulosity. At the edge of the fov was NGC 2264, the Fox Fur Nebula. This also is the area of the Cone Nebula and Christmas Tree. This was much larger than the Rosette. Further south I picked up Gum 1 and Thor's Helmet in Monoceros. Just above the southern horizon I could see the brighter portion of the Vela Super Nova Remnant.

All of these observations were made on the night of March 1 and repeated the next night. Of course I also observed many other objects that were not as spectacular. If someone told me two years ago that I could observe these objects with a hand held 62mm refractor I would have thought them crazy. Obviously, when observing with normal optical aid or with electronically assisted technology the conditions that the observer is operating in make a big difference.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #2242504 - 03/07/08 04:47 PM

Awesome.....How does your *image intensifier* EP work?

Slick.

Rob

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

#2242556 - 03/07/08 05:17 PM Attachment (248 downloads)

With the help of another CN poster I was able to find a used 3rd generation image intensifier tube. A few parts from Surplus Shed like a 24mm fl magnifier to use as an eyepiece and a threaded 1 1/4-in standard eyepiece barrel were used. The housing is PVC. The lower part of the housing is a cover for a battery pack consisting of 2 AA batteries. The round black thingie on the side is a simple rotary switch.

The IIE works as a 24mm focal length ep with a 50 fov. It amplifies ambient light 30,000+ times. Crude looking but effective. The heart is the intensifier tube and that is something I could never make.

BTW, I forgot to mention in my observing report that I was also using a photographic ha filter with all observations made with the focal reducer and the scope in "Spyglass" mode.

Here is anothe pic of the IIE before I painted it gold.

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

#2242577 - 03/07/08 05:29 PM

Just realized that maybe I did not answer your core question. Here is a site that explains the technology far better than I can:

http://www.atncorp.com/HowNightVisionWorks

This is a company that sells these eyepieces commercially:

http://www.ceoptics.com/misc/technical.html

Hope this helps.

michael
Vendor (Starstructure Telescopes)

Reged: 01/24/04

Loc: Trinity Florida
      #2248807 - 03/10/08 06:35 PM Attachment (268 downloads)

Hi,
Thought I'd post in with some pics of a 22" F4 Starstructure That we've been playing with.
Michael

michael

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: michael]
      #2248811 - 03/10/08 06:36 PM Attachment (239 downloads)

Next pic showing mallincam set up.

michael

#2248815 - 03/10/08 06:37 PM Attachment (217 downloads)

Showing screen attachment.

michael

#2248817 - 03/10/08 06:38 PM Attachment (232 downloads)

Another...

michael

#2248819 - 03/10/08 06:39 PM Attachment (203 downloads)

Last...

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

Reged: 12/11/04

Loc: N.E. WI Sky Glow
      #2248842 - 03/10/08 06:49 PM

Sweet setup

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2334663 - 04/17/08 08:24 PM Attachment (214 downloads)

Now all I need is the camera and I have been invoiced for the MCHP.

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
      #2358829 - 04/29/08 01:38 AM

sdbodin: what did you do in order to remote the on screen display. i had the same camera(dx-9263sl) from polarisusa and really liked it but the small control buttons on the back of the camera were really hard for me to see in the dark, so i sold it about 2 years age. if there was a way to remote this i sure would purchase another one of these cameras. a great price for a camera like this. thanks, don

smokin oakum
Carpal Tunnel

#2360493 - 04/29/08 08:27 PM Attachment (240 downloads)

Here is my coverted Dob, which is now a Newt I guess. The mount is so nice, Ican't get over it. I keep finding reasons to go out and stare at it.

Neil

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

Reged: 08/09/06

Loc: Bountiful, Utah
      #2360562 - 04/29/08 08:55 PM

Now you need a ladder like those big dob users! Congrats Neil, that looks AWESOME!

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: HendyPhoto]
      #2360666 - 04/29/08 09:45 PM

Jon,

We want pictures of your new setup,MCHP, Marshall,the works.

Bill

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2361055 - 04/30/08 12:40 AM

This is really cool! We're all upgrading at same time due to MHCP!

Neil: that looks awesome (and big!). You need to update your sig now! Show that CGE proudly!

Jon: can't wait for your pics

my pics will come when I get it working... getting there

BTW: how come nobody told me that a CGE was like, 20 times louder than a Vixen Sphinx??? sheesh - sounds like a freaking can-opener!
clear enough skies

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

#2361467 - 04/30/08 09:30 AM

LOL Dave!! You should hear a CG5!!

bigdob24

Reged: 04/19/08

Loc: Central Illinois
      #2361607 - 04/30/08 10:33 AM

Neil
I guess you weren't kidding when you said you were on the deck. Now you have to pour several yards of concrete for an isolated peir!!Nice setup, shoot between the trees.
Dan

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: bigdob24]
      #2362319 - 04/30/08 03:46 PM Attachment (238 downloads)

So, here is "first photos" of my newly upgraded Rig. I only just completed initial balancing. Will have to do alignment and Polar, etc tonight, followed by hooking up the Camera, monitor, Telrad, etc...

It *just* balances with 36# of CW right now, I have another 11# CW on its way, which will likely be needed (closer in?) when I add EP, Camera, Telrad, Monitor, anti-dew stuffs, and assorted cabling.

The ADM plates are wondrous, btw! Love em!

It really looks kinda cool all pier mounted and all! Now I'm glad I didn't go with the SN10; the SN8 is a lotta load to hoist up there and get mounted!

Enjoy these two views!

SN8, and TMB80SS, ADM Tandem Bar, ADM Dovetails ADM CGE SBS adapter, and ADM 125 Rings, all on my new CGE!

Now it looks like a "real" observatory!

Oh, and if ya look carefully, you can see a "forlorn" Vixen off on the side where she's been shunted until I can pack her safely away in her case for some lucky buyer out there!

Clear enough skies

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2362322 - 04/30/08 03:47 PM Attachment (214 downloads)

Heres a view the other way...

clear enough skies

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

#2362407 - 04/30/08 04:17 PM

AHHH, the poor little vixen, kicked to the side on the floor! Looks nice Dave!! SWEET pier too!!

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2362412 - 04/30/08 04:19 PM

Thanks! That's a "Big Bear" Pier, custom made by BackYard Observatories (who built my obs)... I like it a LOT. Seriously solid.

Guess you can tell its time for a "spring cleaning" in WSO, from these pics, huh?

clear enough skies

smokin oakum
Carpal Tunnel

#2362738 - 04/30/08 06:50 PM

David, I like both of those options for Mallincaming! Tha 8" is a F/4 right? If so, with the MFR-3 and some spacers, you'd be running near hyperstar speeds!

Happy early birthday, by the way. Will you be plenty nine too?
Neil

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2363041 - 04/30/08 09:35 PM

Yep - 8" of f4... with spacers and MFR3 right around f1.92 I believe

And, its the first of the serious niner's... as in 49... (shudder)

Feeling it tonight after little league (coaching) - sore all over!

clear enough skies

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

#2364380 - 05/01/08 01:38 PM

Okay Bill, here you go! I will have more later once I get the new computer and monitor out there....

adkstars

Reged: 03/11/06

Loc: Au Sable Forks,NY
      #2364615 - 05/01/08 03:36 PM Attachment (239 downloads)

Well here are 2 shots. One of Computer Central with the new Speco and the older El-Cheapo eBay purchased monitor,and one kinda dark (had the obs. closed) shot of the Mallincam in an off axis guider w/illuminated reticle.

Edited by adkstars (05/01/08 03:40 PM)

adkstars

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: adkstars]
      #2364623 - 05/01/08 03:38 PM Attachment (188 downloads)

Can't figure how to post 2 photos at one time .Here is Computer Central

Edited by adkstars (05/01/08 03:39 PM)

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2365053 - 05/01/08 07:13 PM

Gee talk about all the Good Stuff! I really like the Moonlite and the Marshall position looks great. With the size of your mount you have room for all the extra goodies, I'm still trying to figure where to put my equipment, like a small monitor.

I'm looking at a 9.25 for the Atlas, but would like an 11" so I can mount the focal reducer in the Moonlite, is this what you did?

Jon, a really fantastic setup, seems like the CGE 14" is becoming popular among the Broadcast group.

Bill

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

#2365136 - 05/01/08 08:04 PM

Thanks Bill! Yeah, I have the focal reducer style moonlite on the C14 and its VERY nice. Another reason to get the 11" is because you can get hyperstar for it if you ever wanted to. Starizona doesnt even sell a lens or conversion kit for the 9.25! I think we will start to see more and more hyperstar setups for the mallincam since fast f/ratios RULE! I have my hyperstar conversion kit on order!

midway199

#2365163 - 05/01/08 08:20 PM

One thing to keep in mind about super fast focal ratios is that most NGC's which are small at say, f/4 will be even smaller at f/2! So, if one were looking to eek out details in faint NGC galaxies or planetaries, it may prove harder if not impossible. However... the large, extended objects will look glorious. The Rosette nebula comes to mind.

Just wanted to share that thought. I have a NexStar 11 and haven't dismissed the Hyperstar possibilities. I'll most likely wind up with one eventually!

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

#2365180 - 05/01/08 08:31 PM

Yeah Matthew, thats true, so LUCKILY the hyperstar can be taken off in less than 2 minutes and collimation is retained. I think an SCT with hyperstar is the most versatile setup you can get!

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2365185 - 05/01/08 08:33 PM

Do you have any viewing problems with your Marshall on an EQ mount?

Bill

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

#2365196 - 05/01/08 08:37 PM

Bill, not really, I would like to find a way to tilt it up and down to see it better, but hasnt been that bad. I do have it mounted so I can swivel it and thats enough.

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2365242 - 05/01/08 09:00 PM

Jon,

Where did you get the focusing device around your Celestron focuser?

Bill

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#2365553 - 05/01/08 10:57 PM

Nice setup Jon

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Chris Schroeder]
      #2365596 - 05/01/08 11:16 PM

Thanks Chris! Scopestuff Bill. http://scopestuff.com/ss_focn.htm

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2368733 - 05/03/08 11:44 AM

Wow, guys... you are really inspiring me to get out back and really tidy/neaten everything up! I just got my final counterweight yesterday - so all equipment is now "in residence"...

So, I guess with these nasty cloudy/rainy days here I should just block out some "man cave quality time" huh?

I guess I'm getting the weather I deserver after this "run up"

clear enough skies

Astro Sky
Vendor (Astro Sky)

Reged: 05/06/06

Loc: Iowa, Louisiana, USA
      #2377527 - 05/07/08 12:54 PM Attachment (197 downloads)

Celestron 11 carbon fiber OTA & Celestron 4" f/5 Refractor
on Meade LXD750 goto mount. Mallincam B/W Hyper camera.

JG

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Astro Sky]
      #2395055 - 05/14/08 02:58 PM Attachment (192 downloads)

Sweet Rig and beautiful horizons!!!

Here's an update on my setup - as finally used last night!

I solved the mounting of the Watec, got all the wires tidied up with velcro ties. Here it is from various angles in its "parked Home, and Hibernated" position... ready to go at a moments notice on any clear(ish) night...

First: the rig facing SSW, before I just now figured out where to put the Watec. Note the (semi) clean wiring harnesses! (I'm not the neatest guy in the world).

clear enough skies

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2395057 - 05/14/08 02:59 PM Attachment (180 downloads)

Now the NNW view, showing the Mallincam end of the show, etc...

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2395059 - 05/14/08 03:00 PM Attachment (152 downloads)

Now the NNE view (business end)...

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2395083 - 05/14/08 03:12 PM Attachment (186 downloads)

And finally another Southward facing view, this time notice where I finally figured out to put the Watec.

Yep - hanging UNDER the TMB Dovetail... there's clearance all the way round in RA and DEC, and this way its not adding to the balance "moment arm"

I bolted one of these: vixen camera tripod adapter upside down, and then bolted the ball-joint / swivel thingy from there to the camera.

This should work until I buy/build something a bit smaller; so then I can go back to using the Vixen thingy to mount my STV Efinder on (it has fine adjust in two dimensions which makes aligning and/or finding guide stars super easy...

This setup is now what I would call 90% complete. The final completion awaits the arrival of my Parallax Rotating Rings (3-4 weeks per Joe today), and the arrival of my CatsEye Collimation kit (also delayed 3-4 weeks). They are coincident, because I must take off the Primary Cell holder on the SN8 to slide the Parallax rings on anyway, so may as well just do my CatsEye triangle spotting of my primary at the same time.

(And yes, I've another 11# CW coming as well to balance out the 12# Parallax rings!).

Then, I should be 98% done (until I then do another ADM Plate and piggyback my STV or ST237 on top of the SN8/Parallax rings!

Looks like total/final weight - all mounted up, will be around 58-60#... (whew)...

clear enough skies

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

#2396269 - 05/14/08 10:44 PM

VERY nice Dave! You gave me some great ideas, such as mounting something to the counterweight shaft! SWEET! You have a nice and clean setup, nice work!

richs

#2399700 - 05/16/08 12:17 PM Attachment (211 downloads)

Here's my C11 MallinCam setup.

richs

#2399705 - 05/16/08 12:19 PM Attachment (164 downloads)

The Backside

richs

#2399712 - 05/16/08 12:24 PM Attachment (181 downloads)

This is a tripod spreader table that I made. All the wires go thru it, this way all the wires going to the rotating telescope originate at the table which makes it more manageable especially when walking around the telescope. It also gives me a place to set things down safely and store eyepieces.

richs

#2399714 - 05/16/08 12:25 PM Attachment (192 downloads)

Here is the other side of the table.

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2400373 - 05/16/08 05:08 PM

Very nice, Rich! I really like that spreader table idea! I may have to borrow from it and build something for my Pier to accomplish similar results...

hmmm,

BTW: that Marshall looks really nice up there! What's it weight and draw for current?

clear enough skies

richs

#2400466 - 05/16/08 05:55 PM

Dave
Although it has a metal housing it is quite light and only draws 500ma/12vdc according to the spec sheet. It also has a protective glass screen over the display. My only complaint is on longer integrations I can't the background as dark as I would like.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

#2400680 - 05/16/08 08:00 PM

Very slick tray. Just be really really careful around the vertical 110v outlets (dew, spilled liquids, conductive debris (filings, pieces of wire, etc.)). There is a good reason why local codes don't let you mount an outlet like that inside a house. When you do mount an outlet even in a somewhat vertical position it is supposed to have a cover.

richs

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: mclewis1]
      #2400875 - 05/16/08 09:36 PM Attachment (167 downloads)

Mark
Thanks for mentioning this, I should have shown the tray WITH the covers . These are full coverage inserts on all connections.

BradH
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/19/04

Loc: Spencer, Indiana
      #2404680 - 05/18/08 09:25 PM Attachment (181 downloads)

Here is my setup Mallincam Hyper Color plus. AP140 and AP900, in action viewing the Moon.

Brad

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: BradH]
      #2406547 - 05/19/08 05:23 PM

Some nice setups here guys

bigdob24

#2467868 - 06/18/08 04:14 PM

The " Bentown Hubble II " is now complet.
24" StarMaster Goto W/ Zambuto optics , MCHP , Marshall 4" , and a Speco 9" monitor. I have to quit buying, no more room on the upper cage:)

bigdob24

#2467874 - 06/18/08 04:16 PM Attachment (187 downloads)

Heres a pic

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

#2467903 - 06/18/08 04:31 PM

VERY nice, that ballhead with the marshall looks perfect! I gotta get me one of those! lol Congrats!

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2468107 - 06/18/08 05:57 PM

I maybe have a ballhead just like that I used for my WATEC...

before I destroyed it by mounting it BELOW the tandem bar that is...

My comment back on my pics of my rigs about how there was clearance all the way around wasn't QUITE true in DEC... cracked the display and its "pining for the fjords" now...

Never mount anything BELOW your tandem bar on a CGE setup!!!

This public service announcement brought to you by...

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

#2468420 - 06/18/08 08:10 PM

LOL Thanks for the heads up Dave! That is AWFUL!

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

#2472721 - 06/20/08 05:21 PM Attachment (193 downloads)

here is a couple photos of my rig im putting together. tv, vcr, scope and cart. i bought a camera mate at radio shack to transfer vcr to dvd, works real well. no manual! whats new. i finally figured the thing out. now all i need is a video camera for dso. ive been using meades electronic eye. i dont wont to get deep $ until i find out if my interest don't fade. ive been looking at the polaris dx9263sl camera for $250. don

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: donnie3]
      #2472723 - 06/20/08 05:22 PM Attachment (206 downloads)

another photo

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: donnie3]
      #2506056 - 07/08/08 11:02 AM Attachment (218 downloads)

Here is my stand by set up. 10" SCT with f6.3 reducer and the Mintron 2 sec. BW. 50mm finder scope under neath with a Mintron on it too.

midway199

#2527003 - 07/18/08 05:54 PM Attachment (214 downloads)

I've made a lot of progress on my video observatory, so I thought I'd share some pictures. Here, the roof has been removed, east wall lowered, scope is in the stowed position. The cord dangling across the 80mm refractor is the cord leading to the stowed hand controller.

Edited by midway199 (07/18/08 06:13 PM)

midway199

#2527018 - 07/18/08 05:59 PM Attachment (203 downloads)

Here, all four walls lowered, scope powered up, dew shield installed.

midway199

#2527029 - 07/18/08 06:05 PM Attachment (213 downloads)

5" monitor and laptop for autoguiding at the ready. Soon, I'll have the cables run indoors so I can sit inside the house to control the scope while wirelessly controling the laptop and StellaCam 3. For more details and pics, check out my blog.

Edited by midway199 (07/18/08 06:07 PM)

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#2528293 - 07/19/08 12:28 PM

Very nice Matthew, you should this in the Observatories Forum as well. And one with the roof on as well.

Brian Reed

Reged: 10/29/04

Loc: North East Illinois
      #2618134 - 09/01/08 11:33 PM Attachment (245 downloads)

Here's my home brew (a bit chopped up) 10-inch that I've dedicated to use with the Mallincam Hyper Color.

The finder scope is my older BW Mallincam mounted to a Stellarview F50 and a 41/4 monitor I bought off E-bay and modified.

It also uses a toilet flush valve focuser which actually works very well since the focus needs to be adjusted only once a night. I thought about adding a real focuser, but this one fits the character of this scope.

After several months of tinkering, every thing on this scope works very well together.

Brian Reed

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Brian Reed]
      #2618140 - 09/01/08 11:34 PM Attachment (168 downloads)

The rear view

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#2618694 - 09/02/08 10:29 AM

Brian,

Nice rig. I especially like the Speco monitor stand.

Jack

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#2619159 - 09/02/08 02:06 PM

Nice rig Brian!

Brian Reed

#2619245 - 09/02/08 02:59 PM

Thanks!!

Thats a custom made monitor stand.

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#2622522 - 09/03/08 10:52 PM

What a great looking EQ platform.

Bill

Gavin Bray
sage

Reged: 12/31/06

#2628016 - 09/06/08 07:56 PM Attachment (203 downloads)

Mallincam hooked up to the SCT with the Speco monitor in the background.

Gavin Bray
sage

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Gavin Bray]
      #2628022 - 09/06/08 07:58 PM Attachment (152 downloads)

Back end of the SCT - feathertouch focuser, Optec 0.33 focal reducer + C-mount, Mallincam.

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2629425 - 09/07/08 05:37 PM

I love that nice, shiny, FT focuser, Gavin! Looking good! REALLY good!

Can't wait to try out my new Speco (tonight!)...

clear enough skies

Gavin Bray
sage

#2630185 - 09/08/08 03:05 AM

Hi Dave. The FT is a really nice piece of machinery - not cheap but worth the money IMO.

Enjoy the Speco and I hope your skies are clearer than mine.

Gavin

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2658945 - 09/23/08 03:31 PM Attachment (160 downloads)

WSO has been upgraded with the arrival of a R200CF (Vixen R200SS converted to carbon fiber, upgraded HW and FT focuser - by Bobby - and with a 9" Speco Monitor.

First the "new astrograph"

clear enough skies

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2658947 - 09/23/08 03:32 PM Attachment (146 downloads)

Another view... I'd literally JUST finished tweaking the collimation - which requires the R200CF to be 100% vertical; convenient since this is my "home position" anyways (to clear the roof).

BTW: collimation of this scope was a breeze!

Edited by Bowmoreman (09/23/08 03:33 PM)

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2658954 - 09/23/08 03:35 PM Attachment (168 downloads)

Here's the new Speco (with the mounting base for the Archos 605WiFi on top) next to the old (as in 1983ish) 19" Proton Monitor.

The Speco IS better, but not by as much as I would have thought!

I compared them side by side last night - Speco via S-video and Proton via composite... Target was M31...

But, it is SO much smaller...

I'm liking this observatory "diet" thing ("Honey, I shrunk the scope and monitor!")...

Clear enough skies

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#2659793 - 09/24/08 12:10 AM

Nice setup Dave

mclewis1
Thread Killer

#2660157 - 09/24/08 08:50 AM

Gee Dave what are you going to do with all that extra room in the WSO? Dance lessons, a lazyboy recliner (oh wait you really don't want to fall asleep again do you?), or maybe a mini bar?

Oh and I do have to add to the chorus ... that CF tubed Vixen is really gorgeous. Just how do you handle having a permanent smile 7 x 24?

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#2660173 - 09/24/08 09:02 AM

Thanks! Yeah, it was funny... when Bobby first posted pictures of his R200SS CF redo; I just had this like "red haze" that kinda came upon me...

Hadda have it... So I shamelessly nudged Bobby about it.

See, I had always (originally) wanted an R200SS for its unique combination of fast f4 optics and light weight... Didn't act on it because I was able to score a great deal on a used SN8 at a time when cashflows were "challenging"; and a new R200SS was NOT inexpensive!...

but then seeing one with Carbon Fiber AND a FeatherTouch, and nicely refinished hardware...

well, the pull was quite simply irresistable...

My additional/incremental investment, after selling the SN8+MoonLite, the Parallax rotating Rings, and the LXD55 (which I never used), was only around the price of an Ethos...

So I "justified it" by telling myself that I won't get the 17 Ethos when it comes out!

I choose to NOT think about how much was "sunk" into buying amazing Parallax rotating rings, and then selling them used... not going THERE!

I was SO tired last night that I fell asleep instead of going out side (hoping I can tonight though). Dying to see how the perfectly collimated (now) R200CF works out.

clear enough skies all!

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#2660405 - 09/24/08 11:25 AM

That looks really sharp Dave! Can't wait to see some video\pix from the new set up.
Can you let us know the diff. between the RS and your now sold SN8?

adkstars

#2783862 - 12/03/08 11:15 AM Attachment (206 downloads)

Well here is my "new to me" LXD55 10" OTA on an LXD75 mount.When winter is over or weather permits it will replace the 8" LX90 in the OBS.At F4 I can't wait to see what my MallinCam will reveal.

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

#2786449 - 12/04/08 03:17 PM

VERY nice Rick! The SN's are AWESOME mallincamming scopes!

I have some new pics of my home-made el-cheapo accufocus bracket for the C14 and I also relocated my marshall monitor to lower the center of gravity a bit. Both of these new mods have performed BEAUTIFULLY! I pretty much only use the marshall to focus with.

adkstars

#2786824 - 12/04/08 06:15 PM

Most impressive Jon.Rick

HendyPhoto
Sith Lord

#2787467 - 12/05/08 02:34 AM

Thanks Rick! The images arent loading right now, I wonder if my ftp server is down or something. I will check it out.

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: Central Ca.
      #2787934 - 12/05/08 11:59 AM

Know wonder your M-1 looked so good last night.. you have a very nice set-up.
I took a couple of digital camera shots of the screen that came out real good.
Thanks for the show last night.

Greg

bigdob24

#2998563 - 03/22/09 04:41 PM Attachment (209 downloads)

Here is a pic with the TV 101 and Mallincam . I have the moniter and computer in the dinning room, its nice to have control from the comforts of home :-)
Dan

bigdob24

#2998566 - 03/22/09 04:43 PM Attachment (187 downloads)

Here is the inside setup

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #3024749 - 04/04/09 11:10 PM Attachment (224 downloads)

Great setups y'all. Here's the business end of my visual setup (lousy iphone photo ) This is the whole shebang except for the power cord to the Mallincam. I have a video of a live image I recorded of M42 on the battery powered Cowon A3 monitor as a reference - the Cowon can overlay the brightness/contrast and other controls on the live image much like the Mallincam overlays it's menu, and it records with the touch of a button.

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: johnnyha]
      #3025326 - 04/05/09 10:00 AM

Nice!
I tkink I would faint if my CSC ever looked like your CA one

king1522
sage

Reged: 04/25/08

Loc: Texas
      #3031001 - 04/07/09 10:53 PM

Johnny, what is the mount you use for your Cowon and where did you get it?
Thanks
Don

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: king1522]
      #3032153 - 04/08/09 02:01 PM

OK, so no picture - YET... but a major change is about to occur to the WSO Assisted Visual Setup...

I just sold my CGE, and bought an MI-250.

It should arrive on Tuesday, after the Easter holiday weekend... Pictures shortly thereafter.

Rationale: While I LOVED the CGE and it was working well for me, I felt that I now want to do some more "classic" Astrophotography, in addition to the Mallincamming...

My experiences with my old ST237A had been fairly frustrating (pretty narrow field of view), and I just never got around to using the Canon DSLR... So Sold them both and they are funding a QHY8... which I hopefully won't have to wait too long for!

Finally, completing the picture, my name came up on the AstroPhysics Mach1GTO list... I was emotionally (and fiscally) ready to make that jump to the "next mount class", but finding a great deal on a used MI-250 such that it was actually LESS (by four digits!) than a Mach1GTO setup would have been cinched the deal.

So, shortly I'll have a mount with more capacity and more accuracy/quality than the departed CGE.

Which means I'll STILL be well placed for the ultimate Mallincam Scope: a Hyperstar C14...

So, "No", I'm not abandoning my Mallincamming; I'm moving everything to that next level...

Stay tuned, perhaps a broadcast in the not distant future from the new configuration.

clear enough skies

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#3032667 - 04/08/09 06:19 PM

Sounds exciting Dave!

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: king1522]
      #3034431 - 04/09/09 03:44 PM

Quote:

Johnny, what is the mount you use for your Cowon and where did you get it?
Thanks
Don

Don - it's an Arkon CM920 universal mount and works perfectly on the Cowon A3, leaving all buttons and inputs accessible. I got it at Crackberry - shipping was really fast. They have several different mounting options available as well besides the CM920 version.

I should note that the Cowon does NOT have a live adjustment overlay as I posted, it only overlays the screen adjustments on playback. You CAN get to the screen adjustments by toggling back to the menu while monitoring. I just keep the screen on a nice adjustment and mess with it later anyway after recording.

king1522
sage

Reged: 04/25/08

Loc: Texas
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: johnnyha]
      #3034847 - 04/09/09 08:04 PM

Thanks Johnny, I appreciate the information!
Don

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

#3049052 - 04/17/09 12:38 PM Attachment (172 downloads)

It's here!

OK, so here is the first pic of the new setup. Not yet Mallincam'med (that happens tonight!)...

Now I can permanently setup both MCHP and a QHY8 CCD camera and a guide camera, with no weight worries whatsoever... and with (presumably, yet to be proven) much better goto accuracy and tracking (not that the CGE was a slouch, mind you)... More pics after the "rigging" is all on (e.g. MCHP/cables, anti-dew system, etc.)

Clear enough skies

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#3052134 - 04/19/09 07:55 AM

Sweet looking rig you have there Dave!

lacad01

Reged: 04/02/09

Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #3127611 - 05/26/09 06:01 AM Attachment (144 downloads)

Still a work in progress but here's a couple of shots of a rough adapted 200mm Tokina SLR lens to one of my cameras. Have also recently acquired a couple of purpose CCTV lenses (16mm & 10-120mm zoom). Will try and post more once I get my act together

Edited by lacad01 (05/26/09 06:08 AM)

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: lacad01]
      #3237923 - 07/25/09 03:12 PM Attachment (259 downloads)

My 8" F4 finaly got here a few weeks ago. This is a GREAT scope!!!!!!!

Been imaging at F2 with amazing results. I added the Mintron\F1.8 combo to the other side of my EZT. This gives WWWWWWIDE views of the sky with a nearly 4" aperture.

The camera needed the 2" to 1.25" adapter recessed machined to get it to focus and still used the supplied 35mm extension that came with the scope. This kept the focuser at mid travel.

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#3237924 - 07/25/09 03:12 PM Attachment (196 downloads)

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#3237925 - 07/25/09 03:13 PM Attachment (187 downloads)

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#3238324 - 07/25/09 07:45 PM

Very nice, more.

Bill

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#3239074 - 07/26/09 09:30 AM

Very nice Kerry!!

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#3239666 - 07/26/09 03:35 PM

Quote:

Very nice Kerry!!

--------------------
Chris

Thanks Chris.

Quote:

Very nice, more.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

...more?

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#3310459 - 09/02/09 12:00 PM Attachment (209 downloads)

Finally got it done! 12.5" F4.7 but operates at F2.35.
You can view the build here in the ATM forum.

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#3321281 - 09/07/09 11:10 PM

Bill

EdK

Reged: 09/28/09

#3565476 - 01/17/10 12:48 AM

Yes would be interested myself I have a Stella Cam 3 on the way ..

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: EdK]
      #3730824 - 04/07/10 04:12 PM Attachment (177 downloads)

Thought I would show what I put together this past year for public outreach. The Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT has a 5.1-in f/5 mirror so the image scale is nice even without a focal reducer. Light and easy to set up and the GoTo is accurate.

The camera is a Panasonic SDC 425 I bought after reading of Scout72's experiences with it. Up to 4.25 seconds integration. M42 shows lots of color and the Moon is fantastic. The scope did not have enough in focus travel for the camera to reach focus. I could have moved the mirror forward but instead I machined a low profile adapter for the 2-inch focuser. Soon a cooling fan will be added to the camera. The color TV/monitor has it's own internal battery. The battery pack can run both scope and camera easily for a 2 or 3 hour session.

The weakest part of the scope was the flimsy tripod. Everytime the wind blew or I touched the camera controls the scope would shake for 6 or more seconds. I adapted a wood tripod made for a refractor 20 years ago. This added about 5 lbs to the total scope weight but it cut the shakes down to less than 2 seconds. Another mod was the pier extension made out of discs of 1/2-in plywood. This allowed the OTA to go from 65 in altitude to 80.

As most of you know from experience the public goes GaGa over video astronomy and this little setup is no exception. Perhaps part of it is that I am the only one in my club doing video during public outreach but the screen never fails to draw onlookers. At the factory setting the Moon's disc more than fills the screen. Using the up to 10x digital zoom to closely examine Lunar features always brings smiles and positive comments.

I am fortunate to have an IIE and StellaCam III and other, faster scopes for my non-outreach observing. But this package with a small scope, inexpensive camera and a sub $100 monitor has been almost a blessing.

ps: That is my observing companion, Missy, standing next to the scope. She doesn't know she is a Miniature Schnauzer.

scout72
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/12/08

Loc: SF Bay Area
      #3731153 - 04/07/10 06:53 PM

Very cool setup terry- tell us more about your monitor!

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: scout72]
      #3731421 - 04/07/10 09:07 PM

This was originally a Haier brand and have been available for a couple of years on the net for around $125 or so new. Last Christmas season they started showing up locally as a "Prism" brand on sale for under $90. Since then under other different names and as low as $69! Not a bad TV/monitor at all for the price. Weighs about 1 1/4 lbs and the internal battery lasts arounds 2 hours or so.

BTW, one of my best friends in HS had a late 60's Scout. I spent quite a few hours in it with him chasing wildlife, girls and other sporting events!

guyinthesky
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/13/07

Loc: western ma.
      #3893463 - 06/29/10 04:35 PM Attachment (128 downloads)

just got the 11" last week

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: guyinthesky]
      #3894556 - 06/30/10 07:57 AM

Nice looking setup

howard Lazerson

Reged: 02/25/08

#3898605 - 07/02/10 08:23 AM Attachment (110 downloads)

C8i on rolling cart with moniter, recorder,and Stellacam camera. Scope, finder and dew shield fan run off of on board 12v rechargeable battery riding on scope base controlled via a switchbox.

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #3921931 - 07/14/10 08:21 PM Attachment (114 downloads)

Just received my MallinCam VSS+ a couple of weeks ago - here it is on my CPC 1100. I spent some time organizing the cords so *someone* doesn't find them by accident in the dark.

I'm currently using the 9" LCD monitor visible on the desktop on the right side. It works pretty well although most LCDs don't produce a 'true' black.

I'm really happy with the overall performance of this setup.

Don

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Digital Don]
      #3922087 - 07/14/10 10:18 PM

Beautiful - and NEAT - setup, Don!

Clear enough skies

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #3922376 - 07/15/10 01:56 AM

Thanks, Dave! And thanks again for encouraging me to get a MallinCam!

Don

sparky123
sage

Reged: 06/14/10

Loc: 41°N 96°W
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Digital Don]
      #3937856 - 07/22/10 05:12 PM

if i had a setup like this i would never leave!! very nice!!

Happy Birthday Dragon Man
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/07/06

Loc: Snake Valley, Australia
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: sparky123]
      #4010903 - 08/28/10 08:07 AM Attachment (115 downloads)

Here's a pic of what I am using at the moment.
Pic was taken while I was broadcasting on NightSkiesNetwork last night

A friend (Erick) is lending me the Gstar-Ex color camera to use until my Samsung Camera arrives.

The Modified Toucam is my guiding camera but it used to be my main Deep Sky imaging camera before I got my Canon 350d DSLR.

Scopes are ED80 f7.5 80mm Semi-Apochromat on top, and a 120mm f5 Achromat for guiding underneath.
Mount is Skywatcher EQ6.

Last night in between cloud, fog, and rain I showed Jewelbox Cluster in Crux, Keyhole Nebula and Eta Carinae in Carina Nebula, Omega Centauri, 47Tuc, Tarantula Nebula in LMC and scattered small Nebulae in LMC. Then it rained too hard so I had to pack it in.

This rig is pretty good for broadcasting, but I intend to get the quality better. I might use the 120mm next time

scout72
Pooh-Bah

Quick grab from Dragon Man's broadcast 8/29 new [Re: Dragon Man]
      #4013751 - 08/29/10 06:28 PM Attachment (168 downloads)

direct screen grab from Ken in Australia's show this morning- Keyhole nebula-

ngchunter

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Sarasota, FL
Re: Quick grab from Dragon Man's broadcast 8/29 new [Re: scout72]
      #4052142 - 09/16/10 02:04 PM Attachment (148 downloads)

Here's my assisted visual setup in action in sidewalk astronomy mode. I set it up at LGDSO's latest sidewalk astronomy event at the local high school. They were celebrating the grand opening of their new planetarium that night as well so we had a good turnout. Unfortunately the weather was quite nasty, but even with just a small sky hole I was able to pick out a couple globulars to show. As you can see, my marine battery is dead which left me running off the car's power.

guyinthesky
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/13/07

Loc: western ma.
Re: Quick grab from Dragon Man's broadcast 8/29 new [Re: ngchunter]
      #4070445 - 09/24/10 01:55 PM

hello, here is a link to you tube showing me set up my little video roll off observatory in the front yard i built in 2008 . there are also 4 videos of objects. i have alot to learn, but my moonscan video came out really good and i am proud of that one. http://www.youtube.com/user/twozero9#p/a/u/1/pusJd8QxGSk

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/04

Loc: Westchester, NY
Re: Quick grab from Dragon Man's broadcast 8/29 new [Re: guyinthesky]
      #4072577 - 09/25/10 02:16 PM Attachment (139 downloads)

Here is my setup for field use (no possibility of an observatory at home). CPC800 with MCHP. On board the scope are 7" monitor w9th DVE behind it) and a Terk video transmitter for a second monitor in case there's a crowd. Camera control is via a wireless RS-232 link (transmitter is attached to the camera). Scope also has bluetooth control if needed. Power is via a wire harness with pairs for the various devices. The wires go to box in which houses the power supplies, thence to a 110v power tank. The nice thing about this setup is there are no wires leading away from the scope for anyone to trip on. There are also dew heaters powered by a second battery and the scope runs on a Starizona pack.

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Quick grab from Dragon Man's broadcast 8/29 new [Re: Larry F]
      #4072579 - 09/25/10 02:16 PM Attachment (116 downloads)

Detail of the scope

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

#4072589 - 09/25/10 02:21 PM Attachment (106 downloads)

Here's the block diagram

lunar
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/03/10

#4073530 - 09/25/10 11:26 PM

Man that's cool! The amount of electronics involved with this area of Astronomy just astounds me!

Carpal Tunnel

Re: Quick grab from Dragon Man's broadcast 8/29 new [Re: lunar]
      #4073577 - 09/25/10 11:54 PM

Quote:

Man that's cool! The amount of electronics involved with this area of Astronomy just astounds me!

Yep, and not one cable going to Mains power.

Very self sufficient. Nicely done

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Quick grab from Dragon Man's broadcast 8/29 new [Re: Dragon Man]
      #4073958 - 09/26/10 08:17 AM Attachment (101 downloads)

Thanks. It means carrying two 17 AH batteries that have 110V outputs (video equipment, remote laptop/video receiver), one 9 AH battery (dew heaters) and one 4 AH battery (scope) and having a well-charged netbook. Also 6 tool cases of various sizes that hold the various parts (a good bit of redundancy and extras in the cable, adapter and focal reducer departments), plus scope, tripod, 2 computers, roll-up table and sundry other things. What my car looks like one the way to and from observing is pretty funny. But I have a system, including a printed equipment checklist that I use for each observing session. It's the price to be paid when one has to travel to get open sky and a little less light pollution.

Here's the problem: I live 18 miles (as the crow flies) from Times Square. Our club "dark sky" (ha ha) observing site is another 23 miles northeast (driving time about 40 minutes).

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

#4075408 - 09/26/10 10:28 PM Attachment (93 downloads)

In case people are unfamiliar with the geography, I've annotated it for you

Hemmi
sage

Reged: 09/08/10

Loc: Raleigh, NC
My Video Assisted Setup new [Re: Larry F]
      #4099601 - 10/07/10 05:26 PM Attachment (118 downloads)

Here is my cute little live video setup. Its an Orion 4.5" starblast imaging tube, with a samsung SDC-435 with wired remote, a .5x reducer (F1.95 ), on a Celestron 8SE mount.

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: My Video Assisted Setup new [Re: Hemmi]
      #4099619 - 10/07/10 05:39 PM

Very cool set up...

NSN- GregW
MallinCam Rules

scout72
Pooh-Bah

My Video Assisted Setup new [Re: Hemmi]
      #4222583 - 12/02/10 01:37 AM Attachment (90 downloads)

My new ns8gps- for wide field there is another camera on top of photo tripod to left.

The folding tray table clamps to leg of tripod and folds down when not in use.

That is m42 splayed out in all her glory on my 17" laptop.

And there is my namesake scout lurking in the back:

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
JB Tucsan Arizona NSN b-cast Dec 2 new [Re: scout72]
      #4222732 - 12/02/10 06:12 AM Attachment (69 downloads)

Excellent NSN b-cast by JB Tucsan via Celestron CPC800 [8"SCT] + f/1.9 Hyperstar + Starlight Xpress SXV_M8C [Sony ICX406AQ SuperHAD chip] CCD cam using Maxim DL capture + ManyCam s/ware b-cast including firsts in Thors Helmet/ Hubble Var Neb in Mon. Exposures 10s-70s - published with permission

JB said it wasn't a video b-cast but for the viewer there was no difference to regular video b-casts with interactive talk to b-casters - exception maybe clearer/ darksky background images from 3Mp chip b-cast at 640 x 480 VGA standard

Edited by nytecam (12/02/10 06:38 AM)

nytecam
Postmaster

Re: JB Tucsan Arizona NSN b-cast Dec 2 new [Re: nytecam]
      #4222733 - 12/02/10 06:14 AM Attachment (78 downloads)

2nd series with top Xmas Tree + Cone Neb + geo sat crossing fov

nytecam
Postmaster

#4222735 - 12/02/10 06:17 AM Attachment (66 downloads)

Thors Helmet

nytecam
Postmaster

#4222736 - 12/02/10 06:19 AM Attachment (67 downloads)

M46 OC + NGC2438 PNe Puppis

nytecam
Postmaster

#4222739 - 12/02/10 06:26 AM Attachment (69 downloads)

My earlier tweaked shot of Hubble Var Neb via my 30cm SCT + SX Lodestar-C

mclewis1
Thread Killer

#4223054 - 12/02/10 10:26 AM

Maurice ... that sounds like "an interactive imaging session" on NSN?

nytecam
Postmaster

Re: JB Tucsan Arizona NSN b-cast Dec 2 new [Re: mclewis1]
      #4224011 - 12/02/10 05:40 PM

Sorry but JB series meant for forum gallery

Larry Hansen
sage

Reged: 07/21/09

Loc: MIchigan - Nevada in winter
      #4226266 - 12/03/10 05:53 PM

Here's my CPC 800 and MjCX.

Snaproll
Postmaster

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Larry Hansen]
      #4259428 - 12/19/10 09:43 PM Attachment (119 downloads)

My setup with the MCX mounted on a Lumicon GEG.

Actually broadcasting Jupiter when the photo was taken.

Snaproll
Postmaster

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Snaproll]
      #4266156 - 12/22/10 10:17 PM Attachment (142 downloads)

Canon 600 f4 lens with a C-thread to EOS adapter from Richard at Stellar Technologies on a CGE Mount. The bar and PVC under the camera is for a cable support, I have to make the bar longer. On the fireplace hearth is the 300 f2.8 which should give nice wide field views. Just under the dew shield on the 600 on the mantle is the DFK planetary cam that also works with the rig.

Hopefully we'll get a clear night soon so I can try the different lenses out.

Snaproll
Postmaster

#4266162 - 12/22/10 10:18 PM Attachment (139 downloads)

Here's a closeup of the adapter, Mallincam Extreme and cable support.

darkman
Man In Black

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: San Antonio, TX
      #4266275 - 12/22/10 11:13 PM

Jim, could / would you post a close up of the connection between the MC and the focuser on the SCT? Thanks

Snaproll
Postmaster

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: darkman]
      #4266302 - 12/22/10 11:32 PM

Quote:

Jim, could / would you post a close up of the connection between the MC and the focuser on the SCT? Thanks

I'm not quite sure what it is you want, can you clarify?

darkman
Man In Black

#4266308 - 12/22/10 11:35 PM

The interface between the Mallincam nose and your micro-focuser, is that an MFR or an adapter of some sort?

I ask because I am trying to get all the peices together before my cam arrives

Snaproll
Postmaster

#4266344 - 12/23/10 12:02 AM

Quote:

The interface between the Mallincam nose and your micro-focuser, is that an MFR or an adapter of some sort?

I ask because I am trying to get all the peices together before my cam arrives

Well, I don't use a microfocuser on the SCT. Normally I run the cam attached to a Hyperstar which is a lens that replaces the secondary mirror on the SCT.

If I'm doing planetary then I run the Mallincam just like a 1.25" eyepiece, in a Denkmeier power switch diagonal.

If I'm using the Giant Easy Guider, then I'm just using the a 2" to 1.25" adapter and use the 1.25" nose piece on the Mallincam.

The Mallincam has C-threads on it and comes with a 1.25" nose piece that threads into the C-threads.

So basically, I just use it like a 1.25" eyepiece or use it on the Hyperstar, in both cases I use the regular mechanical focuser on the SCT.

darkman
Man In Black

#4266465 - 12/23/10 01:32 AM

Thank you

Snaproll
Postmaster

#4273561 - 12/26/10 10:41 PM Attachment (128 downloads)

The Canon 600 f4 mounted on the CGE with the wife imaging M42.

genedalton

Reged: 12/10/05

Loc: South Louisiana
      #4279744 - 12/30/10 09:18 AM Attachment (165 downloads)

The Meade DSIC II is feeding my laptop with an image of the Andromeda Gx. On standby and ready for action is a DSI II on an 8" SCT. The SV is in bioviewer mode giving it almost 5 inches of additonal backfocus for the 6.3 focal reducer. The SCT also has a 3.3 focal reducer.

Snaproll
Postmaster

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: genedalton]
      #4318235 - 01/16/11 02:00 PM Attachment (122 downloads)

"Broadcast Central".

The Exploradome, C14, Hyperstar, Mallincam Xtreme at the end of a broadcast. When we finished it was 2F.

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#4319859 - 01/17/11 08:03 AM

Good looking setup Jim!

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

#4343222 - 01/27/11 02:15 AM Attachment (124 downloads)

Well, finally I'm just about ready for a fist light broadcast using my home built MallinCam Newtonian.
14.5" F/3.3,

3/8th" Alum. plate, 1" Alum Truss Poles, ProtoStar Flock Board for the Tube, 4.25" secondary, 3" JMI motorized Focuser.

Celestron 102mm f/5 refractor,

50mm finder/guidescope with Orion guider.

Tomorrow I'll install it in the Observatory and wait for a clear night..... I think it's a keeper...

NSN- GregW

Edited by greg (01/27/11 02:30 AM)

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: greg]
      #4343226 - 01/27/11 02:18 AM Attachment (108 downloads)

Another angle

NSN- GregW

Edited by greg (01/27/11 02:21 AM)

scout72
Pooh-Bah

#4343231 - 01/27/11 02:30 AM

Wowsers- that is slick looking! Trick or treat halloween/celestron colors to boot- woo hoo- hey also looks like some home brew wine is about ready in the background there- when is the first light/first sip party?!?

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: scout72]
      #4343234 - 01/27/11 02:35 AM

Hey Scout,
The wine has gone bad.... just have not gotten rid of it.... I'm hoping to broadcast Monday night if the fog will give me a break.

NSN- GregW

BrianFitz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/17/08

Loc: Northern California
      #4343268 - 01/27/11 03:30 AM

Looks great Greg. One beast of scope. What did the overall weight end up? I'll Join Scout for the first light--we can bring the wine/beer--lol.

Let us know the time.

Congrats on a big project.

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#4343443 - 01/27/11 08:04 AM

Looks very nice Greg, well done.

Snaproll
Postmaster

#4343700 - 01/27/11 10:50 AM

Quote:

Looks very nice Greg, well done.

ditto.

Chris A
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: Toronto, Canada
      #4343771 - 01/27/11 11:26 AM

Hi Greg

Fantastic looking scope! I love the colors and I see you did a very nice finishing job. Looking forward to your 1st light and please post when you know you are going to be on NSN.

Clear skies,

Chris A

JimT
sage

Reged: 08/13/05

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
      #4343804 - 01/27/11 11:40 AM

Greg

Awesome work. That thing just looks sweet.
Can't wait to see some views from it.

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: JimT]
      #4345402 - 01/28/11 12:17 AM Attachment (153 downloads)

Thanks Everyone,
I tried to test tonight but the fog came right in.... Hoping for a real first light on monday night.

Fitz, the final weight is 85 pounds with everything.... more than I hoped for but it's ROCK Solid, and it weighs a lot less than my 16".

NSN- GregW

Edited by greg (01/28/11 11:59 AM)

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

#4345403 - 01/28/11 12:18 AM Attachment (117 downloads)

Edited by greg (01/28/11 11:44 AM)

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#4345690 - 01/28/11 07:51 AM

Greg, you really seem to love your scope, I'm just saying

Mittag56
sage

Reged: 07/08/09

Loc: West Amboy, N.Y.
      #4345862 - 01/28/11 09:37 AM

Carefull Dude....someone might get the wrong idea about all those lonely dark nights you enjoy.....

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: N of Tampa
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Mittag56]
      #4346394 - 01/28/11 01:14 PM

Hey Greg thats super nice job you did..congrads..
Should "ROCK" with the MC.

Relativist
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/11/03

Loc: OC, CA, USA
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: mega256]
      #4352211 - 01/31/11 04:26 AM

LOL at that pic Greg, thanks for the first light on NSN.

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Relativist]
      #4353501 - 01/31/11 04:05 PM

Your welcome Curtis,
Last night I got a break in the Fog, so I ran out to try out my new scope.... as it turned out it stayed clear all night.

I planned 1st for tonight, it looks like it may be clear tonight so it will be 2nd light, all are welcome to join in if it stays clear, start time around 7:00 PM PST

NSN- GregW

Craig in Tacoma

Reged: 01/27/11

#4353530 - 01/31/11 04:16 PM

You make your wife sit out in the snow imaging?
(How did you get her to do that for you?)

Carpal Tunnel

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Craig in Tacoma]
      #4497411 - 04/05/11 06:16 AM Attachment (135 downloads)

Time for an update of my latest Astrocast Broadcasting gear

- EQ6 Mount with v2.5a Skyscan
- Saxon 120mm f5 Achromat with Modified ToUcam Pro II guide camera & Orion Accufocus electric focusser
- Skywatcher 6" f5 Achromat with Modified Samsung SCC-A2333 AstroVideo camera

This set-up is for Live Astrocast broadcasting on Night Skies Network.
All driven remotely from inside the house

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Dragon Man]
      #4594472 - 05/21/11 02:24 PM Attachment (152 downloads)

Here is sort of how my setup is coming together. My scope (C9.25 on LXD-75 mount, see Celestron and Meade can get along) is out in the driveway. The video comes from the SDC-435 into a video distribution amplifier (hidden behind the monitor).

From the VDA, the video is sent to three places: the Dazzle DVC-100 connected to the computer on the floor (partially hidden by the desk), the 20" TV (which doesn't provide that great an image, actually), and finally a third lead that goes back to the scope. You'll see on the TV tray there that I have a little 7" LCD that I use for focusing/centering/settings adjustments.

The computer is showing virtual moon atlas, and also running but not shown is Cartes du Ciel, which is used to control the Meade mount.

The little webcam-looking camera atop the TV is something I threw in for fun. Since this photo was taken, I've added an A/B switch box so I can switch between the view from the SDC and the view from the webcam during a broadcast. It's biggest use is for quickly showing people on NSN my configuration. Works better when I'm doing solar, of course, as there is more light.

Fun stuff.

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #4594531 - 05/21/11 03:18 PM

Very nice setup.... A word of advise... you should (IMHO) get a Light/Dew shield to block unwanted light from getting into yout OTA... This will increase contrast.

Thanks for Broadcasting live and sharring with us.

GregW

mclewis1
Thread Killer

#4594734 - 05/21/11 05:21 PM Attachment (133 downloads)

Here's the older setup with a Mallincam Hyper Plus camera (manual control, need to throw switches on the camera). On the table is a Speco 905C monitor with a very high tech device (a 2x4) to elevate it for better viewing. This is without a light shield which adds about a magnitude to faint galaxies. It is really amazing how just a little ambient light from the monitor (or the neighbour's back porch) affects a Mallincam ... and before anyone asks ... yes there is usually dew/light shield on the C11 when it's in use.

The current setup is similar except for the addition of a remote control PC, which means I can now sit in the house at a desktop PC and control the scope while viewing the output of the Mallincam (which is now an Xtreme model).

The longer term solution to the ambient light issue is to place the whole setup in a POD that also has a Visor installed..

jchaller
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/29/08

Loc: Tenino, WA.
      #4597431 - 05/23/11 12:48 AM Attachment (116 downloads)

CPC 1100 with Polaris DX9263L Camera
Marshall V-LCD4-PRO-L 4" Color LCD Monitor

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: jchaller]
      #4597738 - 05/23/11 08:21 AM

Nice and clean looking setup.

Carpal Tunnel

#4597756 - 05/23/11 08:37 AM

Where's all the messy cables?

You've got to have messy cables!

Lyle

Reged: 01/22/05

#4598584 - 05/23/11 03:41 PM Attachment (110 downloads)

My Mallincam setup, C14 on a CGE mount using an Mfr5 focal reducer. Under the leanto umbrella is a speco monitor and computer. The lean-to umbrella is from Dicks Sporting goods. The umbrella makes a great light shade for the monitor and eleminates dew too! The umbrella takes about 2 minutes to set up.

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: Lyle]
      #4606301 - 05/27/11 03:46 PM Attachment (96 downloads)

My solar viewing setup. It was 92 degrees outside when I took this...however, I get to sit in the garage in relative comfort. (Note the fan!!)

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

#4606308 - 05/27/11 03:48 PM Attachment (110 downloads)

Here's a closeup of the SDC-435 coupled to the Lunt LS35THa. I find it humorous that the focuser, barlow, and SDC nearly equals the length of the LS35 scope itself!

The weird pyramidal thing sitting on the TV tray is a light shield I made to view the 7" LCD it is laying on for focusing.

And below the mount you can see my cable-management skills need a little work.

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

#4606401 - 05/27/11 04:43 PM Attachment (496 downloads)

No cables. No monitor. No other battery. Using an Ha filter and just about any scope you can to see stuff that few others can.

jchaller
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/29/08

Loc: Tenino, WA.
      #4606885 - 05/27/11 10:20 PM

Where's the telescope. Oh there it is.

Carpal Tunnel

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: jchaller]
      #4827998 - 09/26/11 02:58 AM Attachment (459 downloads)

My latest concoction for Video Astronomy

also titled:
'This is what I'm using when you watch my Broadcasts'

- Mallincam MCX up top in an ED80 with 0.6x Focal Reducer,
- Samsung SCC-A2333 below in a 6" f5 Achromat with Astro Physics 2.7" focusser with Astro Physics 0.75x Telecompressor,
- Heaters on both scopes and finderscope,
- Laser for accurate alignment
- both cameras Peltier Cooled and remotely controlled,
- Electric focussing,

and a MESS of cables.

I sit inside the house about 50-60 feet away at my PC and control it all.

Carpal Tunnel

#4827999 - 09/26/11 02:58 AM Attachment (374 downloads)

and a close up:

nytecam
Postmaster

#4828075 - 09/26/11 06:22 AM

Nice set-up Ken

Interesting that, in your wonderful climate, you work remote from the house 60ft away. I enjoy working in my little dome and bringing the universe onto my laptop there and then

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: nytecam]
      #4830679 - 09/27/11 03:29 PM Attachment (397 downloads)

The latest addition to the family... twins.

For the past 6 years I've used a Meade LXD75 SN6 for observing and imaging with various CCD and Webcams (the scope on the left). One problem with having different cameras is choosing which one to use. Monochrome is very sensitive and gives sharp, contrasty images. Color is, well, color. I really like my color camera, but to get the most out of what the weather gives me I almost always go monochrome since it gives me the highest sensitivity and the best overall image. Now I don't have to choose! Meade recently put their remaining SN6 OTAs on sale for $199 so I snapped one up and put it on a 'spare' LXD75 I had for my visual scopes. I configured this new scope (on the right) to be a near-twin to my original LXD75 SN6. I now put my monochrome camera on my original scope and my color camera on my new scope and control them both from inside my house. I've operated several telescope pairs in the past, but this is the first time I've operated two scopes independently. At first I was afraid this would turn into a bit of a juggling act, but it's actually turned out to be a fantastic experience. Each scope has its own cable kit that I keep in two padded lunch boxes and setup only takes 10-15 minutes, and putting things away takes only 5-10 minutes. I gave the complete system its first real test last night and it was wonderful! While observing distant globular clusters in Delphinus I noticed that the background was just peppered with galaxies, the brightest of which were 15th and 16th magnitude. Once I spotted them with the monochrome camera it was easy to pick them out on the color camera.

Neat stuff...

germana1
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: jgraham]
      #4830953 - 09/27/11 06:09 PM

I noticed the scope on the right has no guide scope can it be done without a guide scope. Very nice by the way.
Pete

jgraham
Postmaster

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: germana1]
      #4831394 - 09/27/11 11:47 PM

The Plan is to convert the 50mm finder into a guide scope, but for now it's not needed. When I use the scopes in observing mode I never use exposures longer than 60 seconds anyway and I prefer to leave the guiders turned off to keep things simple.

Carpal Tunnel

#4831492 - 09/28/11 01:40 AM

Excellent setups, John.

Many people would like one of those imaging outfits and you have two

jbell
sage

Reged: 04/09/10

#4831883 - 09/28/11 10:04 AM

Quote:

The latest addition to the family... twins.

ok... I just have to ask about the 'taller' mount.

why the extension, and not just extend the legs? Is it really more stable that way?

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

#4850443 - 10/08/11 12:15 PM Attachment (346 downloads)

Well I should get the losmandy pier adapter next week(for the pod).So I thought I would check out how the balance and motors were on the "big" scope..
I think it will work,,,and will take the setup to cav at the end of the month.
I have a 21lb,11lb,and 2.5lb counter weight for balance...wooo......thats
almost 35lbs....The scope will be about 50lbs with MCX, guider,and
telrad.The mount is a 60lbs class cap....
Good balance is a must do!The wind might be a problem outside the pod,but
its heavy,and ill keep it low.
So the new setup will be running at close to "F2"...the scope is a 12" at12in
(imaging newt.) at F4,with a 3" focuser,then with a .5x reducer it should be F2...
This thing should do well....the mechanics of the mount look to be up to it,and
the G2 software looks to be stable now.

We need a name for this thing.....but a big fast newt. on a eq mount with long exposures should be very cool.

Edited by mega256 (10/08/11 12:16 PM)

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

#4850445 - 10/08/11 12:17 PM Attachment (328 downloads)

one more pic

Edited by mega256 (10/08/11 12:18 PM)

angcormack
journeyman

Reged: 01/06/08

#4853776 - 10/10/11 12:05 PM

Jim, in the picture of your Mallincam installation you show a cable support. This appears to be a commercial product, can you tell me the supplier? I am trying to work out an arrangement to use an all in one cable to a Mallincam and it will need some type of support.
Thanks,
Alex Cormack

John59
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Round Rock,TX
      #4925209 - 11/19/11 10:59 PM Attachment (321 downloads)

Here are three posts with my equipment as promised (Orion 12XTg). The first one shows the entire telescope set up. Power tank sits on the front of the base so that all power cabling will travel with the scope. Having the power tank sitting separate from the base invites trouble with the entire base rotating during movement. The top of the telescope shows my Samsung SBC-2000 and my Telrad 2 inch extension modified to hold a Camera to take wide field long exposures of the night sky. (camcorder in place as example).

Edited by John59 (11/19/11 11:10 PM)

John59
professor emeritus

Re: Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup. new [Re: John59]
      #4925214 - 11/19/11 11:00 PM Attachment (314 downloads)

Here is a close up of the camera mounts

John59
professor emeritus

#4925228 - 11/19/11 11:09 PM Attachment (308 downloads)

Here is the adaptors for the Samsung SBC-2000. Since I already have the Orion Deep space video camera all I have to do is switch the nose adaptor from camera to camera. Other than adding power connections the only real mod is removing the IR filter. It really makes a big difference to remove that filter.

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
      #4979666 - 12/22/11 01:23 PM

Stock Celestron NexStar 8SE
Mallincam color hyper (non plus)

thanks,
Andy

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

#4980104 - 12/22/11 05:53 PM

Quote:

but a big fast newt. on a eq mount with long exposures should be very cool.

You know it will ! ! !

Through in a Barlow and have a 12" F/8 for small bright Nebula and Planets...

Nice set up.

GregW

Edited by greg (12/22/11 05:54 PM)

jgraham
Postmaster

#4984866 - 12/25/11 10:30 PM

"ok... I just have to ask about the 'taller' mount."

Whoops, I know that this is and old post, but better late than never...

The pier extension is on my "spare" LXD75 that I used with a variety of scopes including an AR-6. With the refractor I wanted to get the scope a bit higher than the legs woul reach, hence the extension. This has also worked well with the twins. When I set the up for observing I can snug them fairly close together on my patio with the taller mount looking over the shorter. In this configuration the small footprint comes in handy. I recently reconfigured the control console for the twins and I'll post a picture of that when I get a chance.

lsm1964

Reged: 12/17/11

Loc: Huntsville, TX
      #4986908 - 12/27/11 12:50 PM

Quote:

No cables. No monitor. No other battery. Using an Ha filter and just about any scope you can to see stuff that few others can.

What is it?

CONQUEST1

Reged: 12/28/09

Loc: Peoria, Arizona
      #5799185 - 04/14/13 07:29 PM Attachment (125 downloads)

Here's mine, for now!

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT