Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: smokin oakum]
      #2063626 - 12/20/07 12:01 PM

Jack,

Great shots, can we assume that the live views are in general a little "smoother"? I figure that the camera is capturing the scan lines on the monitor which aren't likely to be visible to the naked eye.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BradH
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/19/04

Loc: Spencer, Indiana
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: mclewis1]
      #2063708 - 12/20/07 12:38 PM Attachment (229 downloads)

I found this shot of M51 I took 5-22-07 with the TOA150 single image no processing.

Brad

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: Central Ca.
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: skyguy88]
      #2063841 - 12/20/07 01:54 PM Attachment (202 downloads)

Quote:

Greg,
After seeing the rest of your images I have three reactions:
1.Shock and awe. Stunning!!!
2.You qualify as the first astroimpressionist.
3.I'll be right over.
Just wonderful!

Bill

Thanks Bill,
I'm still fairly new at this so I'm working on Focusing, a secondary light shroud for my truss tubes to keep out all stray light, more flocking, and some separate light blocking pannels that can be moved for use in my backyard and my driveway. Also I'm sticking pretty close to the Basic camera setting that came with the camera, and only really playing with the monitor settings.
I had Very good results the very first time I used the MallinCam...I'm good at tweaking my scopes but was unsure about getting into using a camera ... it was very easy to use. The first time out with the MallinCam M16 and the Pillars of Creation in COLOR,
I'll post some of my first views on my monitor, taken with a hand held digital camera, keep in mind these monitor images are of my first few times using the MallinCam, or any camera for that matter... So these images are not (of course) the best that the MallinCam can do, and there was alot of light pollution, but these are what a person can expect the first time out with no imaging experience.
Some may say, Yea but you are using a 30" scope...that's true, But I'm beginning to look for a smaller scope to use in my light polluted site because my big scope also picks up all the light pollution. I believe a 10" to 14" scope with good tracking, flocking, and a nice long flocked dew shield (even on a reflector) may produce better results from a light polluted site,(Not a Dark Site). Scattered light that the camera can pickup is what really hurts the Image. Something like a Meade LXD 75 10"SN I wonder if anyone is using one of those with a MallinCam??? A question for another tread maybe.
Greg

Edited by greg (12/20/07 03:57 PM)

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: greg]
      #2063852 - 12/20/07 01:59 PM Attachment (213 downloads)

And M-104

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

#2063857 - 12/20/07 02:01 PM Attachment (204 downloads)

And M-51

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

#2063863 - 12/20/07 02:03 PM Attachment (189 downloads)

And M-64 Blackeye

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

#2063867 - 12/20/07 02:05 PM Attachment (201 downloads)

And M-57

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

#2063883 - 12/20/07 02:10 PM Attachment (212 downloads)

And I'm Not sure Which Galaxy this is...M-81 Maybe or M-65 or M-66... I'm not sure... When I'm using this camera I'm still too excited to take notes...
Greg

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #2063943 - 12/20/07 02:41 PM

Quote:

Greg,

Let me know how that Speco monitor works out. I have been eyeing it for several months due to its smaller size than the 14" Sanyo that I have been using. It weighs a lot less and its power consumption is considerably lower making it more appealing to those who use batteries and inverters.

Jack

OK Jack I'll let you know how it goes. I just contacted the company I ordered it from because they have not provided me with a tracking #. The gal said it was shipping out today....I said " Why so late on the shipping, I ordered it on Monday? (This now being Thursday) And She said " ahh I Ahhh well ahhh oh yeah it was back ordered... Yeah that's it, it was back ordered. I said OK.... When Can I Have My Tracking #??? Sometime Tomorrow she said... So I said Thank you very much for your help!

I spent hours searching on line for a HighRes Monitors. Most say HighRes but only have 300-350 lines of resolution.
Thanks for telling me about this one Jack.
I found one with 600 lines but it cost twice as much as the one I ordered with 500 lines.

Greg

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
      #2063982 - 12/20/07 03:06 PM

Mark,

You are correct. It is hard to take a digital camera picture of a monitor and not get the lines. The live image is much smoother.

Jack

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#2063988 - 12/20/07 03:11 PM

Greg,

That's M66.

Jack

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

#2064163 - 12/20/07 04:56 PM

Quote:

Greg,

That's M66.

Jack

I thought it was one of the two (65 or 66) I have not gotten back two that one with the MallinCam yet. It looks like I was getting some color out of the spiral arms, but that was the first CRT monitor I tried and I couldn't adjust the image on the screen very well, so the back ground was not dark and I didn't get as much detail as I can now. I can't wait to try it again and this time from a dark site, with a little more experience, and with the new 9" monitor.
Greg

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: smokin oakum]
      #2064543 - 12/20/07 08:17 PM

Here are a few single frame grabs from DVDs recorded at Chiefland Astronomy Village in May of 2007. I used an AverTV Cardbus PC card in my HP laptop to capture the frames. The 720X480 snapshots were resized in Paint Shop Pro to 640X480. I was using my 17.5" with ServoCAT drive and the camera was in the 56 second mode.

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

#2064567 - 12/20/07 08:35 PM

Very nice Jack,
It looks like your ServoCat was tracking quite well for 56 seconds. I sometimes run into trouble over 28 seconds and only a few times have I been able to make 56 seconds work. I think it depends on what part of the sky I'm pointed at.
Greg

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#2064639 - 12/20/07 09:17 PM

Greg,

You are quite right about tracking and the place in the sky you are looking at. We all noticed that at Chiefland. In certain parts of the sky, tracking at 56 seconds would work and at others trailing was obvious. The closer to the zenith, the more noticeable the field rotation. I can play back some of my observations near the zenith in fast forward mode and watch the sky rotate.

Jack

Mike Harvey
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/01/04

Loc: Orlando, FL.
      #2065099 - 12/21/07 01:53 AM

Quote:

...can we assume that the live views are in general a little "smoother"? I figure that the camera is capturing the scan lines on the monitor which aren't likely to be visible to the naked eye.

YES!

Some time ago I suggested NOT posting any images from the monitors because they just don't do justice to what we're actually seeing!
If I wasn't already a Mallincam user and the only concept I had of its' performance was gleaned from most of the images on these threads, I would be disappointed.

I have yet to see even one posted image that comes close to matching the 'real-time' views!

Mike Harvey

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

Reged: 12/11/04

Loc: N.E. WI Sky Glow
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: Mike Harvey]
      #2065513 - 12/21/07 09:41 AM

But that is true with anything visual, is it not? Taking photos of the screen, while not doing the true visual justice, it gives us an idea, much like those who sketch.

jayscheuerle
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/16/06

Loc: S. Philadelphia, PA
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: Chris Schroeder]
      #2066082 - 12/21/07 02:54 PM

Personally, I find the images taken from the monitors to look much more natural than the ones captured via a cards. - j

BradH
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/19/04

Loc: Spencer, Indiana
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: jayscheuerle]
      #2066279 - 12/21/07 04:56 PM

Greg

What a great shot of M16.

Brad

greg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: BradH]
      #2066299 - 12/21/07 05:13 PM

Thanks Brad,
That was one of my first objects, The MallinCam is so easy to use.
Greg

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 178562

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics