Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)
John59
sage

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Round Rock,TX
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: darethehair]
      #5380264 - 08/21/12 11:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey everyone I found a mini DVR from China for $73. It does everything the Orion one does and theirs is $225. This is not a bashing for Orion as I have a lot of their equipment and I prefer them but $70 for a fully functional mini DVR is a whole lot less. Even better there is an outlet through Ebay that has them here in the U.S. for the same price. (it is where I got mine) It works great. I velcro'd it to the scope and the mini camera plugs directly into it. The rechargeable battery last around 4 to 5 hours. It records in AVI and does a really nice job. The screen is 2.5 inches and the entire mini DVR is not much bigger. I tested it tonight on my Orion ST-80A and the recordings were excellent and trouble free. Looks like we have another cheap but very functional option for recording video. Search Ebay for Angel Eyes DVR. Look for the best deal and a U.S. dealer. Good Luck. You will not be disappointed if you do not mind small screens.

Interesting! I was no longer able to find a 'same price' for a US distributor for that device ($160 at last check). Seems like an ultra-compact way to record a video stream without using a computer and USB-based video digitizer. Any idea how the quality of the recording compares to, say, the 'Dazzle' that a lot of folks use?

The computer capturing device gives a larger format. The DVR looks great on its little screen and looks good on a computer if left at the 800 x 600 size. Over stretching will cause pixelization.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
alexaggie
journeyman

Reged: 01/10/12

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: John59]
      #5380607 - 08/22/12 07:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey everyone I found a mini DVR from China for $73. It does everything the Orion one does and theirs is $225. This is not a bashing for Orion as I have a lot of their equipment and I prefer them but $70 for a fully functional mini DVR is a whole lot less. Even better there is an outlet through Ebay that has them here in the U.S. for the same price. (it is where I got mine) It works great. I velcro'd it to the scope and the mini camera plugs directly into it. The rechargeable battery last around 4 to 5 hours. It records in AVI and does a really nice job. The screen is 2.5 inches and the entire mini DVR is not much bigger. I tested it tonight on my Orion ST-80A and the recordings were excellent and trouble free. Looks like we have another cheap but very functional option for recording video. Search Ebay for Angel Eyes DVR. Look for the best deal and a U.S. dealer. Good Luck. You will not be disappointed if you do not mind small screens.

Interesting! I was no longer able to find a 'same price' for a US distributor for that device ($160 at last check). Seems like an ultra-compact way to record a video stream without using a computer and USB-based video digitizer. Any idea how the quality of the recording compares to, say, the 'Dazzle' that a lot of folks use?

The computer capturing device gives a larger format. The DVR looks great on its little screen and looks good on a computer if left at the 800 x 600 size. Over stretching will cause pixelization.

So the video that the DVR captures is not the full camera resolution? Does it not write the full size to the card or are you talking about the output directly from the unit itself?

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #5380923 - 08/22/12 11:31 AM

Sixteen pages, a few folk have this camera, and barely a few images (mostly under bad conditions.) If the skies are not cooperating, and one has other cameras, comparisons can still be done under dark conditions, either indoors or out. A starry sky is not required for the assessment of noise characteristics...

C'mon, guys; let's use our imaginations and overcome Mother Nature's capriciousness!

John59
sage

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: alexaggie]
      #5382473 - 08/23/12 10:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So the video that the DVR captures is not the full camera resolution? Does it not write the full size to the card or are you talking about the output directly from the unit itself?

Good point.
I will have to look at this in more detail.
I know that I read somewhere on this unit the output was 800x600. Not sure of the actual recording.

StarmanDan
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/07

Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas
      #5383551 - 08/23/12 09:16 PM

IIRC, full D1 recording is 720x480.

John59
sage

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: StarmanDan]
      #5384637 - 08/24/12 01:50 PM Attachment (116 downloads)

I captured these last night in my light polluted driveway.
This was using my 180mm MCT with a .5 focal reducer.
the first is the Swan.

John59
sage

#5384644 - 08/24/12 01:54 PM Attachment (96 downloads)

Second is the Trifid

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
      #5384645 - 08/24/12 01:55 PM

It looks like is a bit out of focus. What were your settings.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5384903 - 08/24/12 04:41 PM

My camera came today. Super fast! Though I did use DHL.

I also have my reducer, IR filter, adapters and extensions. All I need now is the video cable. Oh and of course for Meade to GET MY TELESCOPE BACK TO ME!

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5390566 - 08/27/12 10:50 PM

I wish someome who knows how to write programs would write some to control this camera. Its a real pain to have to change settings at the camera. I did get a decent shot of the ring Nebulae tonight but there is a lot of noise.
Jim

StarmanDan
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/07

Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas
      #5390602 - 08/27/12 11:12 PM

I've been working on a program that uses the computer's parallel port to control the menu of any 5 button camera. This requires soldering wires to the buttons so some technical know how is required. Unfortunately, most computers these days do not come with a parallel port. I think there is someone who makes a USB variant that does the same thing.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: StarmanDan]
      #5390943 - 08/28/12 07:12 AM

Have you checked out the SDC435 club yahoo group. Its dedicated to the Samsung camera. In its files section, they have a way of controlling the camera via a special serial connector. With that setup, you can control the camera through the computer. I purchased one of those and it makes all the difference with the Samsung camera. It would be really nice if I could transfer that cable to the Lyntech.
Jim

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#5403061 - 09/04/12 01:57 PM

WARNING!!!

Like others in this thread I bought the camera and I went through alliexpress and delt with the same girl others did. My wife just told me that over this past 3 day weekend there were DOZENS of charges (international) placed on that card. My banks fraud department was on top of it, canceled them all and called my wife to tell her this.

I would suggest another source and call your cc company right now.

John59
sage

#5403723 - 09/04/12 07:43 PM

Micheal, Thanks for the warning! Sorry to hear it happened to you. I am glad your CC was on top of it. I have checked for unauthorized charges (none so far)and contacted our CC for a security check going forward for any international charges.

barbarosa
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: "lamorinda", CA
      #5403796 - 09/04/12 08:20 PM

Wow, I have an order in process and my wife will not like it when I tell her about this (and I think I must tell her). Before I ordered we discussed the risk of sending credit card info to a China site.

It is not the potential cost (zero) it is the annoyance of having to wait for a replacement card.

Edited by barbarosa (09/04/12 08:27 PM)

alexaggie
journeyman

Reged: 01/10/12

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: barbarosa]
      #5404250 - 09/05/12 01:47 AM

Sorry to hear that Michael, I also got only the one charge....it looks from my statement that their payment is handled in Delaware. I wonder if your CC number was intercepted in China...

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: alexaggie]
      #5404737 - 09/05/12 11:47 AM

Yah I don't know. As a disclaimer it could very well have been from elsewhere. Chinese hack companies all the time for CC information belonging to their clients.

The reason I am raising the red flag here is that I haven't used that card in months and the only international charge I made was for that camera a few weeks ago. Credit card info can be stolen anywhere but it doesn't hurt to warn you folks to keep an eye out and be careful. If you can set it up so you can access your credit card history online it is a good idea to check it every few days to make sure. I should have been more careful.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

#5404786 - 09/05/12 12:20 PM

I sent an e-mail to Jock who I purchased the camera from about this. I also ordered the menu control cable wht the plug ins from him for $10.00. It should make using the cable easier without having to solder anything.
Jim

Hemmi

Reged: 09/08/10

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5404895 - 09/05/12 01:26 PM

I checked my card, no issues here. Sorry to here about your CC getting jacked. Glad your bank is taking care of it!

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: Hemmi]
      #5406204 - 09/06/12 09:07 AM

Anyone use the "Auto" under Lens? Can you see a star with the auto setting? I know that it is the the right setting during the daytime. Also, anyone use a barlow to increase the size of the image? I am using a 120mm refractor and most of my images are really small. Thanks.
Jim

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35737

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics