Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: The new Universe is in and working new [Re: Chris A]
      #5415976 - 09/11/12 07:27 PM

Now that we're in a dark moon period, I'd like to see an image of a target having rather lower surface brightness than M57 and M27. Parts of the Veil nebula will be an improvement, if the goal is to ascertain sensitivity and degree of noise reduction. Better yet would be NGC6888 or the North America nebula.

Brighter planetaries do not make a camera 'break a sweat.'

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5416132 - 09/11/12 08:59 PM

Quote:

Well Mark, I will have both cameras (X2 Class 0 & MC Universe) to test on NSN, but I will not test the MC Universe on NSN until the patch is available for direct connection. I really do not want to use WebcamMax for this purpose and I hope the patch will be out in the next couple of weeks. Chris A

I agree Chris, screen capture to a video stream isn't going to show the camera's true capabilities, so that's really not an appropriate vehicle for a comparison (as much fun as that might be to do).

You know my position on comparisons (that they have to be done very carefully if anyone is going to be able to draw any useful conclusions) ... and for all the fun and interest in the camera waiting for good examples of it's capabilities is what's really important.

Chris A
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: The new Universe is in and working new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5416158 - 09/11/12 09:13 PM

Glenn I just sent the original MC Universe today back to Rocks work and he will be sending me the latest model with the hyper circuitry and deeper cooling along with the new .5 focal reducer. Yes I agree with you and do plan on doing some very high intense ccd imaging of those faint objects you mentioned (Hey the California nebula comes to mine) and also do a live NSN broadcast showing several different types of objects in near real-time when the NSN patch is ready. Hope you all will please be patient and I promise to show some incredible images/views.

Chris A
Astrogate

ngchunter

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Sarasota, FL
      #5417363 - 09/12/12 01:59 PM

Will the NSN patch also allow the camera to talk to other streaming providers, such as Justin.tv, ustream, etc (without the need for webcammax)?

A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #5417655 - 09/12/12 04:48 PM

Chris & Lorence,

I know everyone is going gaga over the wider FOV, but I would be interested to see some barlowed images, I realize the Universe is not meant to be a planetary imager, but still it would be interesting to see if the higher resolution can handle brighter targets at very high effective magnification and maintain the sharpness and image quality of some of what has been posted on Yahoo and here so far.

Al

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

Re: The new Universe is in and working new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5418247 - 09/12/12 10:23 PM

Quote:

Chris & Lorence,

I know everyone is going gaga over the wider FOV, but I would be interested to see some barlowed images, I realize the Universe is not meant to be a planetary imager, but still it would be interesting to see if the higher resolution can handle brighter targets at very high effective magnification and maintain the sharpness and image quality of some of what has been posted on Yahoo and here so far.
Al

For what it's worth I initially set up on a bright sunny afternoon. The terrestrial view was "WOW". The camera was set to full resolution (3032 x 2018) but at the time I didn't realize I was only seeing half of that resolution on the monitor (1920 x 1080). That covers two out of three. One brief look at the Moon when it was very low and seeing was poor was enough to convince me Lunar viewing will be impressive. Buy the way the Moon is just slightly larger than my field of view with the .5 reducer.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
      #5424417 - 09/16/12 09:15 PM

Chris,

I am on the way home from ECVAR where I did have the chance to use a Universe in a 12" VRC on CGE PRO and a 30" StarStructure. I failed to save any of the captures with the 12" as I forgot to specify the file name - DUH! But I did learn how to properly use the software and on Thursday night, I did grab some frame on Duane Smith's 30". On the 12" I was using 2x2 binning and mainly 60 second exposures to get fantastic images on the 17.3" screen of my Toshiba laptop. With the 30", shorter exposures and no binning was generally the case. Here is a 30 second capture of M8:

The scope is Alt-Az and after looking at the captures, Duane felt that using a ParaCor would have cleaned up some of the corner artifacts.

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: The new Universe is in and working new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5424421 - 09/16/12 09:18 PM

Here is a 45 second capture of M16:

I really wish I had successfully saved the ones with the 12" on the GEM as they did not show the effects of field rotation.

Jack

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5424427 - 09/16/12 09:25 PM

And here is a 15 second of M22:

Jack

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
      #5424850 - 09/17/12 04:47 AM

Those images look like they have all of the benefit of the Malincam's high sensitivity with the resolution of a DSLR. That is a really good thing.

Chris A
scholastic sledgehammer

#5426052 - 09/17/12 07:11 PM

Hi Jack

Wow those are some very nice unprocessed captures using the MC Universe Jack! I also recieved the latest MC Universe model along with the 0.5x reducer and will be testing this camera completely. Again very nice captures and thank you for sharing them with us here.

Chris A

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #5426068 - 09/17/12 07:24 PM

Chris,
Have you decided on the distance at which the reducer will be placed ahead of the sensor? To work at 0.5X, the chip must be located at 1/2 the reducer's focal length behind the approximate mid-point in the lens. When helping a friend test his Universe a couple nights ago, with this reducer I very crudely checked its focal length and determined that some extra spacing was needed in order to obtain sufficient separation to work at 0.5X. The only spacer we had on hand was a 15mm job. Checking image scale showed that the result was near 0.6X, but this is a non-rigorous 'measurement'; we had bigger concerns to deal with at the time. Additionally, there was notable vignetting toward the corners.

Chris A
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: The new Universe is in and working new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5426174 - 09/17/12 08:32 PM

Glen I tried last night the 0.5x focal reducer threaded directly to the MC Universe followed by the supplied 2" adapter. This provided roughly a .6x reduction and there was only a very small amount of vignetting at the corners with no coma using my C9.25. Rock said that I should not use the supplied spacer unless the sct opening is 3 to 4 inches. The C9.25 has a 2" opening only and the spacer would have provided a more reduction but way too much vignetting and maybe even some coma.

Chris A

Chris A
scholastic sledgehammer

#5426493 - 09/17/12 11:38 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

Requests to see some fainter objects with the MC Universe

I recieved the updated version of the MC Universe from Rock last Friday (thank
you Rock) and had rain and partly cloudy skies for a couple of day's until last
night the sky cleared up. It was not a night that I was hoping for to do some
longer exposure stacked ccd imaging. Oh well, I wanted to show you a couple of
fainter objects that I captured with this beast of a camera under hazy skies. I
took a single (adjusted image using the MC Universe software)captures of both
M16 & M17 before they get too low in the south for me and uploaded them on my
flicker site along with full details below the images. Please check them out and
I would love to hear what you all think of them as for as in near real-time
observation goes. Serious ccd imaging will be coming in the near future and **I
need to buy a 2" IDAS P2 filter in order to achieve the best results in my light
polluted location**. M16 please read the information below.

I used my C9.25 @ full native F10 and the MC Universe with hyper circuitry. This was a single 2 x 2 bin mode at 240 sec using gain set to 19 and the histogram set to auto. Using the MC Universe software I set the contrast set to -20 and gamma set to -5. Used the one push WB tab and then lower the red to 91 to reduce the red cast again using the MC Universe SW. I had no filters on and would have achieved even better results by using and IDAS P2 LP filter. Adjustments all done on the fly with MX Universe software with NO post processing.

Conditions were average transparency, below average seeing, temperature was about 68F with a high 83% humidity level causing a lot of moisture in the air. No moon was present during the time of viewing.

Chris A
Astrogate

Chris A
scholastic sledgehammer

#5426496 - 09/17/12 11:40 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

Here is M17. Please read the details below

I used my C9.25 @ full native F10 and the MC Universe with hyper circuitry. This was a single 2 x 2 bin mode at 180 sec using gain set to 21 and the histogram set to auto. Using the MC Universe software I set the contrast set to -20 and gamma set to -5. Used the one push WB tab and then lower the red to 92 to reduce the red cast again using the MC Universe SW. I had no filters on and would have achieved even better results by using and IDAS P2 LP filter. Adjustments all done on the fly with MX Universe software with NO post processing

Conditions were average transparency, below average seeing, temperature was about 68F with a high 83% humidity level causing a lot of moisture in the air. No moon was present during the time of viewing.

Chris A
Astrogate

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5426726 - 09/18/12 05:28 AM

Pretty cool Chris. Any possibility of doing some galaxies? It'd be interesting to see M51 and how it handled the coloring.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: The new Universe is in and working new [Re: Raginar]
      #5426902 - 09/18/12 08:46 AM

Chris,

Here is a 20 second capture using 2x2 binning in Duane Smith's 30". The Deerlick galaxy group is at the bottom/left and Stephan's Quintet is toward the right. Sky conditions were not the best with tons of moisture. The scopes were dripping and at one point I had to turn off the cooler on the Universe as condensation had occurred on the center of the glass covering to the CCD sensor.

The FOV is over 1/2 degree and I find this to be incredible on this size scope. Also field rotation/wind vibration is visible.

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5426912 - 09/18/12 08:59 AM

Here is a 45 second capture with no binning of NGC 7479. This was with the cooling system OFF.

Jack Huerkamp

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
      #5426942 - 09/18/12 09:24 AM

Heh, heh, I was just going to ask if you had any images of NGC 7479.

Chris A
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: The new Universe is in and working [Re: Raginar]
      #5427975 - 09/18/12 06:15 PM

Thank you Chris for the feedback. M51 is getting too low for me now but M33 will be next on the list along with the Eastern Veil and Bubble nebula.

Chris A

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8549

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics