Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rustynailz911
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/30/08

Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV
      #5423983 - 09/16/12 03:51 PM

I was wondering how this camera is the specs seem good any first hand experance with this one?what eyepiece is the view in this camera comparable to?I want to do a little video astronomy and shoot the planets.I have a 4" F8 refractor with tracking to use with this camera.

Thanks
Russell

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: rustynailz911]
      #5424002 - 09/16/12 04:01 PM

Russell,

That device is a USB2.0 device and is using a type-1/3" CMOS sensor from Micron/Aptina.
As it's name implied ("Solar System"). This type usually is designed mainly for bright subjects (Lunar, etc.) Suggest you stay away for future growth.
BTW, this forum is mainly for Electronically Assisted Astro, your question is more suitable for Beginner's Imaging subforum.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5424348 - 09/16/12 08:31 PM

Quote:

BTW, this forum is mainly for Electronically Assisted Astro, your question is more suitable for Beginner's Imaging subforum.

Huh ... Isn't this the "Video and Electrically Assisted Astronomy" Forum? The Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV ... is a video camera!

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: *skyguy*]
      #5424370 - 09/16/12 08:49 PM

No, it is not.
Product info here.
If link does not work, just search 52175 there.

P.S. that imager is very similar with Meade LPI.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5424374 - 09/16/12 08:51 PM

Actually it's not a video camera, there's no video output on it ... it's more like a webcam.

It's a solar system imaging camera and as such it would be more appropriate to discuss it in either the beginners imaging or solar system imaging forums where there are folks who have experience with the camera. Around here the chances of having more than a few folks with real experience with the camera is slim.

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5424583 - 09/16/12 11:05 PM

So, a camera that shoots video at 15 frames a second isn't a video camera? Sorry, I don't buy that! Sorta splitting hairs here. It certainly falls under the category of "Electronically Assisted Astronomy". And yes, the OP would probably get more help on the "Solar System Imaging and Processing" Forum.

pdfermat
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/12/07

Loc: Wisconsin
      #5424692 - 09/17/12 12:32 AM

Maybe a mod could move this thread to the appropriate forum then? I'm interested in this also. I was thinking of using it as kind of a "live video" experience as well. Even though I don't have tracking on my dobs, I thought it would be fun on the moon and planets, and just watch them drift through the field.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

#5425075 - 09/17/12 09:38 AM

Quote:

So, a camera that shoots video at 15 frames a second isn't a video camera? Sorry, I don't buy that! Sorta splitting hairs here.

Your right we are just splitting hairs here because many folks will use a webcam/solar system camera like a video camera (or vice versa) but just because a sensor can be read that fast doesn't make the output video ... it's a digital USB connection that requires additional software to create a video stream.

A video camera has a standard video interface (USB isn't one of those) that adheres to a video standard (NTSC, PAL, SDI, etc.). You don't need a PC to convert a video signal to view or store it (just a compatible video monitor or video storage device).

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
      #5425996 - 09/17/12 06:35 PM

Does a digital 1080P cam with a HDMI output qualifi as a video for this forum or is it analog only?

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: mistyridge]
      #5426332 - 09/17/12 09:47 PM

From what I understand any type of camera can be discussed in this forum (analog, digital, video, usb, etc.), it just depends on how it's being used (near live viewing vs. single shots saved and then processed). The forum isn't just for video ... after all it's titled "Video and ... "

I think for the original question about the Orion solar system camera the issue is that there would likely be a lot more folks with more experience with the camera in the other imaging forums so the dialog should be a lot better. Lots of folks will indeed use planetary imaging cameras in a way that ends up a lot like video viewing on a PC ... and there wouldn't be a problem discussing that here.

As to whether a 1080p camera with an HDMI output is a video camera, for what it's worth I'd say yes ... since HDMI is a video interface. You could also plug that camera directly into a video monitor that has a HDMI interface. So for example a high end DSLR could be consider both a single shot USB camera and an HDMI video camera.

jbell
sage

Reged: 04/09/10

#5426881 - 09/18/12 08:26 AM

Quote:

just because a sensor can be read that fast doesn't make the output video ... it's a digital USB connection that requires additional software to create a video stream.

And the mallincam universe is exactly what??

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: jbell]
      #5427233 - 09/18/12 12:00 PM

A large sensor USB single shot camera with specialized software to enable "near live viewing" in addition to the traditional usage of multiple shots with post processing.

Just because the camera is from Rock and called a Mallincam doesn't mean it has anything to do with video.

jbell
sage

Reged: 04/09/10

#5427259 - 09/18/12 12:11 PM

thank you -- my point exactly.

It seems this forum specifically has a 'bias' that is hard to overcome on what's "IN" vs what's "OUT"

If the universe is fair game to discuss in this forum, so is a starshoot, a lpi, a dsi, a lodestar, etc, etc, etc...

So is an atik, sbig,etc... (now there's fightin' words....)

As long as it's done in near 'real time' in an observing session, that helps your observing... to me its V&EAA.

but..... suggesting this thread doesn't belong V&EAA... hmmm...

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: jbell]
      #5428118 - 09/18/12 07:40 PM

As the technology moves more towards direct viewing be it digital or analog the lines are blurring as to what is in and what is out. Hmmmm

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: mistyridge]
      #5433446 - 09/21/12 08:55 PM

Check the definition for webcam in any dictionary ... online or paper ... "video camera with PC input".

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
      #5435525 - 09/23/12 06:08 AM

Ouch...Ouch...Ouch...

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: nytecam]
      #5440186 - 09/25/12 04:19 PM

We're back to this argument again? Good example for a CCD designed for imaging being used 'near live viewing' would be Nytecam's work with a lodestar.

~Chris

YetAnotherHobby
sage

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Central CT
Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: rustynailz911]
      #5440201 - 09/25/12 04:32 PM

I have one that I have used to capture planets. I used the Orion AmcAp software that came with the camera and you can see the planet on the screen in a live view fashion. My scope was a 6" refractor and the planet was recognizable but tiny on the screen. The bit of reading I did suggests a 2x or 3x Barlow is really needed to bring the image scale up. The only real "issue" I had was finding focus the first time. There was a very narrow range of focus travel where the software would cough up an image so it took a little while to find the sweet spot. But it works!

Gary Z

Reged: 01/26/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5446151 - 09/29/12 01:39 AM Attachment (82 downloads)

I have this camera. I also have used it during the Venus Transit as well as lunar shots using an ETX 80 and Celestron 8 SE. For the moon and sun, it's ok. But I did view your pictures of the moon, and the quality of the shots are good. You will not get this quality from the Orion Imager IV. You could save your money and buy a malincam, or even the higher end cameras available, but you will be disapointed if you use the Orion Imager IV, based on your pictures.

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Orion StarShoot Solar System Camera IV new [Re: Gary Z]
      #5539251 - 11/25/12 06:54 PM Attachment (89 downloads)

I stumbled onto this thread, and have used this device for about a year. Not terribly thrilled with it for anything other than the moon. NO instructions of much use come with it. A dozen adjustable features that need enough twiddling forget about actually LOOKING at things. I needed to buy an Antares 0.5X reducer to work with my 10" SCT, and finally got some decent shots, but with my Lunt, the sweet spot for any settings migrates continuously. The settings are so sensitive that for some, with a 100 to 200 count range, 10 counts off is enough to lose the image. I've spent a few nights trying to get Jupiter or Saturn, and can't get 'em in view at all. HOWEVER, on my 90mm ShortTube refractor, I've gotten some nice images of the moon. Here is one with the 90mm two nights ago without the 0.5x reducer (the SSS has a native 5mm focal length, way overdrives my 10"):

Edited by Skylook123 (11/25/12 11:28 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid, David Pavlich, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4946

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics