Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Moromete
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/15/12

Loc: Romania
Re: Samsung SCB-4000/2000 vs Canon T2i sensitivity new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5629597 - 01/18/13 10:06 AM

Yes, I know there are other devices. I have found a mini DVR with a 3.5" LCD an AV IN.
But it would be wonderful and cost effective to be able to connect everything in astronomy to your phone (Android or iPhone) and not to be forced to buy new devices for different applications in astronomy.
In other words I'm looking for a laptop substitute in my Android phone considering it has GPS,etc.

Just imagine a Lntech300 camera connected to your phone through a cable which replaces a TV and a separate recorder or a laptop or even become an autoguider. You have the phone all the time with you in your pocket.

Can CCTVs be used for autoguiding? Is any software available for this?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
Re: Samsung SCB-4000/2000 vs Canon T2i sensitivity new [Re: Moromete]
      #5629762 - 01/18/13 11:31 AM

Quote:

Yes, I know there are other devices. I have found a mini DVR with a 3.5" LCD an AV IN.
But it would be wonderful and cost effective to be able to connect everything in astronomy to your phone (Android or iPhone) and not to be forced to buy new devices for different applications in astronomy.
In other words I'm looking for a laptop substitute in my Android phone considering it has GPS,etc.

Just imagine a Lntech300 camera connected to your phone through a cable which replaces a TV and a separate recorder or a laptop or even become an autoguider. You have the phone all the time with you in your pocket.

current Android phones are still far from capable of accomplishing what you envision . For one thing, the analog cameras need power that the phone can't supply. The USB frame grabber (no analog video input on Android phones) needs USB power too and I don't know of any phones that could support it . IF you want a real , reliable working solution, that's still in the hypothetical future . Maybe Ubuntu for smartphones will provide support for the type of stuff you want but not now.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5629776 - 01/18/13 11:39 AM

Quote:

Yes. Because the video connection goes through a USB frame grabber you won't find support for specific video cameras in the autoguiding software ... but since the frame grabber creates a Windows web cam like video stream most autoguiding software can work with it.

The downside is that on low end cameras there can be quite a few warm/hot pixels and quite a bit of background noise which makes autoguiding sometimes a bit tricky. The slight shift in video sync between frames also prevents these cameras from being used as very accurate autoguiders but over all they do work.

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: Samsung SCB-4000/2000 vs Canon T2i sensitivity new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5631249 - 01/19/13 10:14 AM

Android OS natively does not have USB webcam device driver(s) built in, let along the very high bandwidth demanding (cheap) USB video dongle (need isochonous transfer at USB 2 high-speed mode). If you are an experienced XDA Developer, you might be able to build a custom kernel to support the former, but almost impossible to support the latter class.

For IOS, it's much harder since it's a closed OS.

I have used smart-device's "USB Host mode" to support low-bandwidth easy devices (USB microphonee and USB audio device). I also know how to inject power and did so in the connection (now every newer devices with latest OS version who support it) will require it (i.e., smart device will not supply power). <-- If you want to know more, read my CN post in Software forum here.

P.S. for video dongle, even a low-end PC made few years back (e.g., Intel low-end Pentium 4) won't support it well (hickups). A smartphone, after all, is a smartphone (portable device).

P.P.S. OFF (the original) TOPIC discussions should start a new thread!!!

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
      #5632284 - 01/19/13 09:57 PM

Quote:

you could control your Canon DSLR with your Android phone assuming it's a recent phone and you would have live-view and remote focus with it together with all other camera functions :

http://dslrcontroller.com/

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid, David Pavlich, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5181

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics