Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Re: Video Camera Advice for astro new [Re: Stew57]
      #5741358 - 03/18/13 06:27 PM

I don't think we will see images from the megabuck systems on this forum. Kinda like seeing the 200" Palomar on the reflector forum.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
issdaol

Reged: 01/01/10

Re: Video Camera Advice for astro new [Re: Dwight J]
      #5742285 - 03/19/13 04:27 AM

Hi Guys,

I have not made any decision 100% in any direction.

It just seems that the Mellincam Extreme fits criteria at a very reasonable price with minimum to zero changes.

Similar decision for purchasing my Tak Mewlon 300 and Tak EM400 mount some years back.

They were not the cheapest and also not the most expensive possibility on the market.

However they did represent a high quality turnkey solution.

I will probably put much more research into some of the other cameras but as mentioned I am only just starting out on Live Video Astronomy so have a lot to learn and understand which is why I asked for opinions and advice.

Cheers

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
      #5742556 - 03/19/13 10:10 AM

Quote:

I don't think we will see images from the megabuck systems on this forum. Kinda like seeing the 200" Palomar on the reflector forum.

What is "megabuck" to you? $3000 might be megabuck to some.

Atl
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/13/12

Re: Video Camera Advice for astro new [Re: mpgxsvcd]
      #5742605 - 03/19/13 10:39 AM

Well to me anything over $1000 is too much...no matter what it does. Any single piece of equipment over $1000 is out. When you get past that mark the bang for buck declines rapidly. This hobby is fun, but I have no illusions that I will discover anything that hasn't already been seen about 20 billion times. My current camera was $130 used. It is the same camera sold by Gstar as their black and white unit. It does quite well. I will get a color unit eventually, but I am not breaking the bank to do it.

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Re: Video Camera Advice for astro new [Re: mpgxsvcd]
      #6174775 - 11/04/13 01:45 AM

Most people buy what they can afford or spend to what level their interest is. I don't have a $30,000 Harley, a $70,000 boat, or a private plane. I do have a 49cc Honda Ruckus scooter though. And a one man pontoon fishing platform. I happen to have a life-long passion for astronomy so I don't see spending more on equipment as any different than my neighbor's Harley moneypit. And most objects have not been seen 20 billion times. Most have been imaged on sky surveys but never observed or categorized. Just check out galaxyzoo.org. And astronomy is one of the few sciences that amateurs can contribute to in a very meaningful way. I suffer no delusions that I will discover anything but I do want a trouble free night with the best images I can put up and that means having spent a few bucks on equipment. On the CCD forum I don't see guys using FLI or SBIG cameras having to defend how much they spend on their cameras. A FLI filter wheel costs what my Mallincam did.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #6175123 - 11/04/13 10:06 AM

As a former boater, I know what a money pit it can become, although I must say, I enjoyed the heck out of having a boat. I used to do a lot of shooting as well. Owned several nice firearms and did all my own reloading. Hobbies all, and you can spend as much or as little as you find needed to make your hobby what you want it to be.

And you're right, Dwight. While I've spent a goodly amount on our hobby, all of my equipment together doesn't come up to a fully dressed Harley Davidson...not even close. And since some of those astrobucks were spent on my 8X8 backyard rolloff, most of my enjoyment is about 25' from the back door.

It's all in what you wish to make of it; spend a little or spend a lot. It's all good!

David

Grue

Reged: 04/14/11

Loc: NW Arkansas
Re: Video Camera Advice for astro new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #6350371 - 02/02/14 12:32 AM

I'm looking hard at the MallinCam Micro as my entry point into this hobby. Not too much invested, but seems like its a turn-key and capable cam. The biggest thing is it will let me get everything figured out and decide if I really enjoy AstroVid and want to put more money into it. Then I can graduate to something bigger if I decide want to pursue broadcasting and more outreach.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Video Camera Advice for astro new [Re: Grue]
      #6350675 - 02/02/14 07:00 AM

Well said Dwight, Kasey

will w
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/13/06

Loc: oxford,ms
Re: Video Camera Advice for astro new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6351032 - 02/02/14 11:33 AM

Hi Grue, what you are saying makes very good sense. there are lots of video cams that can be used for astronomy.i guess its all about money. how much do you wont to spend. regardless of how much you spend on any cam. the cam will only do so much.just my 2 cents . will w

Dragon Man
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/07/06

Loc: Snake Valley, Australia
      #6352350 - 02/03/14 12:20 AM

Quote:

I'm looking hard at the MallinCam Micro as my entry point into this hobby. Not too much invested, but seems like its a turn-key and capable cam. The biggest thing is it will let me get everything figured out and decide if I really enjoy AstroVid and want to put more money into it. Then I can graduate to something bigger if I decide want to pursue broadcasting and more outreach.

G'day Grue.

With Video cameras it is the same as buying a telescope.
You can start astronomy with a Supermarket 70mm achromat on a Wobblitronic Mount to test the waters and see if you like astronomy, only to get frustrated at the faint smudgy views and the wobbling mount, and give up (how many millions of those cheap 70mm scopes end up dust-covered in the garage or buried at the back of the cupboard forever).
Or spend that bit more and get a simple but effective 8" Dobsonian Reflector from a Telescope shop and see some serious stuff.

The 8" Dob will keep you interested and excited more than a 70mm Wobblitronic El-Cheaposcope.
Then, when you are ready and you want to see even more detail, and go deeper, you start looking at 16" Dobsonians, SCT's, or Apo Refractors.

I believe it is the same with our Video cameras. We should start with something we know that works, and works well, or we suffer the Wobblitronic El-Cheaposcope saga and get put off.

The Micro is a fantastic 'starting point'. It's a bit like that 8" Dob. It won't show you super great detail on super deep objects, but it also won't put you off. Not like stuffing about modifying a cheap security camera which is a bit like the Wobblitronic.
The Micro will certainly whet your appetite with some terrific results, making you want to go that bit better as soon as possible.
With Telescopes it's 'Aperture Fever'.
With Video it's 'Sensor Fever'

The Micro will excite you enough to want to play with bigger toys
not put you off with disappointing results and having to 'home modify' a cheap CCTV camera.

Grue

Re: Video Camera Advice for astro new [Re: Dragon Man]
      #6353079 - 02/03/14 11:46 AM

Thanks for the comments Ken and Will!

Ironically enough, I have some 1/2" Sony HAD CCD IR security cams for an alternate hobby. I intend on playing around with one of them that I'm repairing anyway and seeing what kind of results I get.

I'm pretty sure down the road I am going to need a narrow field setup as well as a wide-field setup.

I know exactly what you mean on getting started and getting the fever -- I still have my Coltier 8" dob from the early 90s and get it out often.

--Rick

BigDob Al

Reged: 12/31/13

#6357533 - 02/05/14 11:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the comments Ken and Will!

Ironically enough, I have some 1/2" Sony HAD CCD IR security cams for an alternate hobby. I intend on playing around with one of them that I'm repairing anyway and seeing what kind of results I get.

I'm pretty sure down the road I am going to need a narrow field setup as well as a wide-field setup.

I know exactly what you mean on getting started and getting the fever -- I still have my Coltier 8" dob from the early 90s and get it out often.

--Rick

I also have some older 1/2" security cams and tried them first. It was a good test for me to actually try before buy and figure if this activity is fun enough , isn't too technical, too many wires and little things to drop in the grass at night. After that, the old surveillance cams lost their appeal because they're totally blind compared to the new generation cams. Couldn't draw any conclusion based on using them, it'd be like driving a Ford T to decide whether to buy a Chevy Volt .

Clear Skies,
Al

Grue

Re: Video Camera Advice for astro new [Re: BigDob Al]
      #6357567 - 02/05/14 12:12 PM

Quote:

I also have some older 1/2" security cams and tried them first. It was a good test for me to actually try before buy and figure if this activity is fun enough , isn't too technical, too many wires and little things to drop in the grass at night. After that, the old surveillance cams lost their appeal because they're totally blind compared to the new generation cams. Couldn't draw any conclusion based on using them, it'd be like driving a Ford T to decide whether to buy a Chevy Volt .

Clear Skies,
Al

Thanks for sharing your results. I'm pretty cynical about what my results will be -- these cams are nothing special and in my IR use of them, not overly sensitive. However, it does give me something to mess about with for now at no cost, until I decide what I want to do.

SkyGibbon

Reged: 02/09/13

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
Re: Video Camera Advice for astro new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #6358280 - 02/05/14 06:33 PM

Got my factory refurbed SBC2000 for $59.00 off Ebay. Works like a champ. Good way to get started.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3240

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics