Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: what specs should i be looking? new [Re: prefetch]
      #5850835 - 05/09/13 08:01 PM

Quote:

thanks for all the advice. i really appreciate it.

i ended up getting an samsung SNB-7001. it was only a few hundred dollars, and it'll do 1080p which i'm excited to try out.

now i just have to figure out how to attach it to my telescope!

While that Camera may not get you the "Astro" usage, it DOES have some nice features that lend itself to a DIY Weather cam mounted on top of your house. Just don't make it a lightning attractor. You will need an enclosure (circa $30 USD). An old TV rotator adds a bit of value to the installation.

Night time use, sadly...just isn't there.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
prefetch
sage

Reged: 04/24/13

Re: what specs should i be looking? new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #5855183 - 05/12/13 10:43 AM

Quote:

Night time use, sadly...just isn't there.

well, i tried it last night. mixed results. the primary enemy seemed to be atmospheric turbulence.

here's a screenshot from the 'live' view:

prefetch
sage

#5855197 - 05/12/13 10:49 AM

and here is another screen shot with 60x sens-up active, but of course it's horribly over exposed and the software does not seem to be able to have controls to reduce it (or i can't figure them out.)

jchaller
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/29/08

Loc: Tenino, WA.
      #5855670 - 05/12/13 02:58 PM

Yeah, at that exposure it's going to be over exposed.

How is this connected to the computer?
Are you viewing on a seperate monitor?
How's the software?

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
      #5855693 - 05/12/13 03:10 PM

Quote:

and here is another screen shot with 60x sens-up active, but of course it's horribly over exposed and the software does not seem to be able to have controls to reduce it (or i can't figure them out.)

I've never successfully recorded Saturn's sats and the disk in the same exposure eg use ~1/500s for disk and 2s for sats and 10s for faintest sats. Then composite disk image onto sat image

prefetch
sage

Re: what specs should i be looking? new [Re: nytecam]
      #5855860 - 05/12/13 04:36 PM

jchaller, the images are showing up on my laptop, which is connected to a wireless network. the camera is connected to the wireless network via ethernet.

the software is so-so. it's web based, so the software and webserver are actually all on the camera itself. you just connect to it with your web browser.

jchaller
Pooh-Bah

#5855872 - 05/12/13 04:41 PM

Is the camera connected to a router then?

prefetch
sage

Re: what specs should i be looking? new [Re: jchaller]
      #5855985 - 05/12/13 05:44 PM

yes, the camera is directly connected to my router via an ethernet cable.

what do you think about the images? i've never used a video camera for astronomy before, so i don't really know what to make of them.

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

#5856063 - 05/12/13 06:32 PM

I would not suggest use IP based webcam approach to do AP, nor would i recommend use the current HD CMOS cams.
Too much compression for the former and too small pixel pitch for the latter (except on Luna and very bright Solar System targets.)

P.S. no CCD or CMOS imager has that much of dynamic range that can simultaneously display details on both Saturn cloud features and its satellites, unless using HDR techniques.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

jchaller
Pooh-Bah

Re: what specs should i be looking? new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5856174 - 05/12/13 07:29 PM

Just for fun I was looking at the SNB2000 IP camera, which has similar specs as the SCB2000.

I was concerned about the resolution of the images comming from an IP security cam, being compressed.
It looks like it has a standard video out connector in addition.

https://www.samsung-security.com/SAMSUNG/upload/Product_Specifications/SNB-20...

Atl
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/13/12

Re: what specs should i be looking? new [Re: jchaller]
      #5856337 - 05/12/13 09:01 PM

That camera is not similar to the scb2000. It is lower resolution and much less sensitive...like the camera you currently have. Just get a scb2000 or 4000. Don't waste money on an IP camera.

mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
Re: what specs should i be looking? new [Re: Atl]
      #5856394 - 05/12/13 09:37 PM

Quote:

That camera is not similar to the scb2000. It is lower resolution and much less sensitive...like the camera you currently have. Just get a scb2000 or 4000. Don't waste money on an IP camera.

I don't know either camera. However, the Samsung datasheets show they have EXACTLY the same resolution and same CCD SuperHad 1/3" . Now they might have different gain or simply tested differently and the sensitivity might be the same or not , but the statement about the lower resolution is not reflected in the datasheets. I'd be really interested if you have hands on experience with both cameras, because that would be a clear data point as opposed to possible typos in datasheets.
Thanks,
Matt

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5856427 - 05/12/13 09:57 PM

That camera was referring to SNB7001. It being an IP cam (H.264 compression) basically sent me into "rejection--no interest" mood.
Not even willing to dig any more info out to compare.
'nough said with my 2 cents.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

jchaller
Pooh-Bah

Re: what specs should i be looking? new [Re: Atl]
      #5856433 - 05/12/13 10:02 PM

I already own the SDC-435. I wasn't thinking of purchasing that particular camera. I was just thinking there was a better IP camera for Video Astronomy than the 7000 series.

Side by side camparison of the specs for the SNB2000 and the SBC2000 are very similar, i.e. 1/3" Super Had CCD, same resolution, sens-up, etc.

I was thinking the biggest difference would be the video signal being digital vs analog.

prefetch
sage

#5856578 - 05/12/13 11:29 PM

ccs_hello, i'm curious why IP cams go in the rejection pile for you. i'm new to this, so if it's a dumb question, forgive me.

is the digital compression noticeably worse than analog?

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5856600 - 05/12/13 11:39 PM

H.264 compression is quite popular compression algorithm. It may be very useful for security surveillance cam especially for remote viewing. For DSO viewing where long exposure is needed, basically the images are not updated for a long time until the next update time when long exposure time is reached. IP cam is still compressing the video no matter what.
Compression degrades the image quality. IP cam costs more than its regular analog video cousin. It is the classic case of paying more to get less.

The benefit of using IP cam is you can (or you have to) monitor from a far away place(s).
The remote viewing methods have been discussed many times here in this subforum. "IP cam"-it is not the great way of doing it. Although KISS is fine, losing the quality further simply doesn't fit my taste.
Again, only my 2 cents.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1154

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics