Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
asaint
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/25/03

What's Up Lepus
      #2094862 - 01/04/08 06:38 AM

What's Up Lepus

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: asaint]
      #2095325 - 01/04/08 11:39 AM

Informative article. A unique (as far as I can find out) deep sky object that is rarely mentioned when discussing Lepus is h 3780, also known as NGC 2017. This is a multiple star system that is easily viewed with smaller backyard telescopes. I can see 5 of the 6 stars with 50X in my 8-in newtonian. This is a charming little system that was originally thought to be a very small open star cluster. It is also easy to find as it lies about 7 arc minutes east of alpha Leporis. Try it, you'll like it!

Terry

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #2097540 - 01/05/08 01:45 AM

Terry;

Thanks for adding that in, I have not looked at it in a while, I may give it a try.

Thanks;
Steve Coe

spaceydee
Postmaster

Reged: 04/16/04

Loc: Where the Kittens Are
Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: stevecoe]
      #2099003 - 01/05/08 04:50 PM

Well for the second year in a row, I'll be searching for Hinds Crimson star!!

DwightX

Reged: 08/13/07

Loc: Kentucky
Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: spaceydee]
      #2099293 - 01/05/08 06:58 PM

Quote:

Well for the second year in a row, I'll be searching for Hinds Crimson star!!

Worth the search! As described in Burham's, it really does look like a drop of blood against the sky.

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/21/04

Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: DwightX]
      #2099376 - 01/05/08 07:34 PM

R Leporis should reach its minima around 03/04/08--so it will be dimming quickly for the next two months. A brighter R Leporis is easier to see, but at its minimum brightness it's truly one of the reddest stars in the sky. At minima, aperture helps to bring out the color--probably 12-inches or more...

If you have some aperture to throw at it--IC418 (The Raspberry) is a fun planetary nebby. At about 200X, it's a tiny, thin, PINK ring surrounding an obvious central star. The pink color becomes pretty easy around 14-inches of aperture. But it's really small, so look close!

Edited by Vic Menard (01/05/08 08:02 PM)

spaceydee
Postmaster

Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: Vic Menard]
      #2099685 - 01/05/08 09:50 PM

Right now, the largest aperture I have is 8". Do you suppose I'll be able to see it in one of those??

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

#2100358 - 01/06/08 08:10 AM

http://www.sydneyobservatory.com.au/blog/?p=202
The deepest part of minima only lasts about a month. R Leporis could easily be 1 or 2 magnitudes brighter now, or a month or two after minima. You should be able to see it with 8-inches of aperture through minima--but the last minima I observed in a C8 wasn't as colorful as the view in a larger aperture.

Also, the minima date I provided earlier was extrapolated from the chart provided in the url above, so at best it's an estimate. A few minima dates from years past are available online, but they don't seem to agree with the AAVSO data. So--for the record--minima should occur sometime around late February/early March this year.

davidmcgo
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/04

Loc: San Diego, CA
      #2100761 - 01/06/08 12:25 PM

NGC2017 was something I hadn't ever noticed until Dec 30th when I decided to just spend a couple of hours with my 10x70 Nikons and 15x50 Canons up in the San Diego county mountains. It suprised me as it kind of looked like a mini version of the Jewel Box, very bright and "glittery".

It will definitely be worth a follow up with the telescopes sometime. My Bright Star Atlas only shows an unannotated double star symbol here. My old version of Megastar doesn't display the NGC number or OC symbol but will find it if you search on the NGC number. U2000 shows it as an NGC cluster.

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo (01/06/08 12:27 PM)

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #2100829 - 01/06/08 12:59 PM

Quote:

Informative article. A unique (as far as I can find out) deep sky object that is rarely mentioned when discussing Lepus is h 3780, also known as NGC 2017. This is a multiple star system that is easily viewed with smaller backyard telescopes. I can see 5 of the 6 stars with 50X in my 8-in newtonian. This is a charming little system that was originally thought to be a very small open star cluster. It is also easy to find as it lies about 7 arc minutes east of alpha Leporis. Try it, you'll like it!

Terry

There's a so-so image of NGC 2017 that I took through the ASH 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain posted at http://www.cloudynights.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2714

Dave Mitsky

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #2102491 - 01/07/08 04:49 AM

Dee;

I hope that you do get a chance to see R Lep soon. I do love red stars and it is a favorite.

Enjoy;
Steve Coe

spaceydee
Postmaster

#2104548 - 01/08/08 12:55 AM

Thanks Steve!!

charlie g
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

#2104584 - 01/08/08 01:34 AM

Hello, Steve (the author) talks of a:"very nice greenish glow around the central star", Vic talks of:"thin pink ring around central star"/Viccalls it 'the rasberry'. Both regarding IC418 planetary. I can't wait to get my scope out this weekend for visiting with Lepus. For now please some thoughts on this large difference in 'the color' about IC418 between these two seasoned observers, both with midsized aperture, Steve from I'd guess 'good skies'. thanx, charlie...150mmf/5 SkyWatcher achro, 127mm f/8 apo-triplet, 100x25 Zhumell binocs(now on better fork mount!)

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: charlie g]
      #2104663 - 01/08/08 04:31 AM

Charlie;

The short answer is "I don't know why Vic and I would have differences in the color seen in this planetary".

Colors in any deep sky object is very subtle. Our vision was not made to see color at those low light levels. But, they do appear "real" within our heads and now it becomes a psychology dicussion that makes it difficult to say anything other than "that is what I saw".

I will certainly leave IC 418 on my observing list and see if I do see anything other than pale green or grey in any future observing session.

Clear Skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: charlie g]
      #2111953 - 01/11/08 02:47 AM

Quote:

Hello, Steve (the author) talks of a:"very nice greenish glow around the central star", Vic talks of:"thin pink ring around central star"/Viccalls it 'the rasberry'. Both regarding IC418 planetary. I can't wait to get my scope out this weekend for visiting with Lepus. For now please some thoughts on this large difference in 'the color' about IC418 between these two seasoned observers, both with midsized aperture, Steve from I'd guess 'good skies'. thanx, charlie...150mmf/5 SkyWatcher achro, 127mm f/8 apo-triplet, 100x25 Zhumell binocs(now on better fork mount!)

I've seen IC 418's "raspberry" colored annulus a number of times, but only through large unfiltered apertures under very good conditions. (The first time I experienced it was through a 25-inch Dob at the Winter Star Party.) Otherwise, it hasn't exhibited that exceptional hue, even through 18 and 20-inch apertures.

Dave Mitsky

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #2112153 - 01/11/08 07:05 AM

Quote:

I've seen IC 418's "raspberry" colored annulus a number of times, but only through large filtered apertures under very good conditions...

What kind of filter? I've only been able to see the pink coloration unfiltered. A few years back at the WSP I was observing IC418 (about 200X in a 22-inch f/4 Dob) with Barbara Wilson and she commented that it was the most vivid color she had seen in any nebula. I told her I thought that the Ghost of Jupiter was considerably more colorful (violet and chartreuse), but I don't think she had really studied the nebula at RFT magnifications.

The coloration in IC418 does handle magnification better. And it is higher from Florida (and the Florida Keys) than most other parts of the contiguous US. But the pink color (although it's a thin line) is always obvious (at least to me and my observing friends) in Dick Denison's 14 StarMaster.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#2112196 - 01/11/08 07:57 AM

Vic,

My post should have read "unfiltered apertures". I made the correction.

A report that I made some years ago on IC 418 is posted at http://www.visualdeepsky.org/logs/msg02065.html

Dave Mitsky

Ptarmigan
Lagopus lagopus

Reged: 09/23/04

Loc: Arctic
Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: asaint]
      #2116588 - 01/13/08 12:10 AM

I saw M79 in Lepus and AL does not list as being visible in a urban sky. Of course the seeing was good and a cool front had come by which lowered the dew point. Yet, I can't see the Virgo Clusters.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What's Up Lepus new [Re: Ptarmigan]
      #2117916 - 01/13/08 04:46 PM

I find that many globulars are visible in my light polluted back yard in Phoenix. I believe that they have a much higher surface brightness than most galaxies. Like you said, a clearing front passing through really helps also.

Enjoy;
Steve Coe

WadeVC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/02/05

Loc: Lodi, California,
      #2132744 - 01/20/08 03:01 AM

Steve,

Once again you have provided many of us with new objects in which to search for (and observe) with your very well written article. Thank you for your time and effort for putting these together!

WadeVC

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4619

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics