Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Tom TAdministrator

Reged: 02/26/02

Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: starpal]
      #2171413 - 02/06/08 12:08 AM

Hi Pete,

Good to hear from you.

[snip, spaceydee]
As per other reviews - well, they come in waves. FWIW, in the years I've been doing this, do you realize this is actually the first stand alone review I've done of a TV scope! I have talked about two or three others over the years, but Iirc those were short comparision articles. Kinda funny, huh. I do have several other projects in the works. Perhaps you'll find some thing more to your liking down the road.

BTW - When are you going to do some bino reviews/picks? You always had a talent for finding some real deals! I miss seeing those.

T

Edited by spaceydee (02/10/08 01:24 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
starpal
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/06/04

Loc: Mid-USA
Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: Tom T]
      #2171514 - 02/06/08 01:29 AM

Hi Tom,
Well it is good to hear all the news.

[snip, spaceydee]

Thanks for suggestion on bino reviews. Glad you liked them. Right now, of all things, I prefer simple binoviewing with a small refractor. At least the stars are nice and sharp!

Edited by spaceydee (02/11/08 12:30 AM)

naglertized
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/10/07

Loc: Jacksonville Florida
      #2171715 - 02/06/08 06:57 AM

Has this turned into a bash TV thread?

In my industry (opthalmic) I have seen perfectly assembled products turned into trash from abuse. I don't care how well manufactured a product is, it can still be trashed due to abuse.

Regarding the Genesis, I'm holding a October 1989 issue of Astronomy Magazine, it was advertised as a 4 element APO.

Tom TAdministrator

Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: naglertized]
      #2171767 - 02/06/08 08:04 AM

[post deleted by spaceydee]

Edited by spaceydee (02/10/08 01:28 PM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #2171786 - 02/06/08 08:32 AM

[snip - quote deleted by spaceydee]

From a slightly different point of view, a companies product of 25 years ago is quite relevent, if taken in the appropriate context. Certainly the APO refractor has come a long way since 1989 and one does not expect A-Ps nor TV's of that era to match the performance of the scopes 20 years later. After all, the scopes of today wouldn't exist without these forefathers.

But those older scopes are very telling, even with the major improvements that TV and other companies have made since 1989, these older scopes are still good performers and provide very good views. They are an indication of a company that was dedicated to making a solid, durable product that was near state of the art for it's time and that one can expect that same dedication today with today's product.

20 years down the road, the NP-101 maybe have been superceded by several models with various improvements and we will be looking back at the less than perfect "this and that" of the NP-101. Hopefully though, we won't miss the big picture, ie that the 20 year old NP-101 will still be a very effective telescope capable of providing the observer many productive nights of pleasure and learning and with just a bit of care, it will be like new.

Jon

Edited by spaceydee (02/10/08 01:29 PM)

Tom TAdministrator

Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #2171825 - 02/06/08 09:05 AM

Good points Jon.

T

davidmcharg

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: Scotland, UK
      #2171907 - 02/06/08 10:13 AM

Great review tom and could not agree more. I don't have NP101 but i have a little TV85 and its a scope that is going to be with me for many many years to come. A nice pair of binoculars, a small 4" APO and 8"+ reflector is a life time of observing giving you the best of all worlds.

sixela
Postmaster

Reged: 12/23/04

Loc: Boechout, Belgium
Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: Dirtyharry]
      #2172011 - 02/06/08 11:08 AM

Quote:

I confirmed this with a simple but all-telling star test,

Star testing APOs is anything but simple. If you believe it is, then you're in disagreement with both the late Thomas Back and Roland Christen.

A lot of high order aberrations that have little impact on the in-focus image can often be seen outside of focus, and to the untrained eye look like low order spherical aberration. So much so that even Markus Ludes often tries to hack something together in Aberrator that looks *exactly* like a picture of a star test before he ventures to throw numbers around.

gmacln
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/10/06

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: sixela]
      #2172036 - 02/06/08 11:22 AM

A great read as usual Tom. Thanks!

starpal
professor emeritus

#2172225 - 02/06/08 12:56 PM

Quote:

Has this turned into a bash TV thread?

In my industry (opthalmic) I have seen perfectly assembled products turned into trash from abuse. I don't care how well manufactured a product is, it can still be trashed due to abuse.

Regarding the Genesis, I'm holding a October 1989 issue of Astronomy Magazine, it was advertised as a 4 element APO.

Clinton,
As would be expected, most of the owners of high dollar APOs would cherish them and therefore be careful to keep them sound. I know I did. Never banged mine on a door or threw it out the window on a cloudy day

When Tom discussed the aspect of paint chipping in his report as per his experience with the scope under test, I offered to share some of my own experiences as well. Experiences are not always going to be positive ones but to honestly discuss them in a thread is always going to be so. This includes experiences with the related pieces of the equipment when are used together. An overall experience by a product user offers others greater knowledge and that is what we are here for. The thread is to discuss the TeleVue 4 element refractor design and execution. Can be current or historically. If product discussions are restricted to only be one sided as "sweet smelling roses", all the time, our behavior would serve as a disservice to those that come here to learn.

Let's not forget that fact about a company keeping a product as cost effective as possible. A question might be why for example would a rack and pinion focuser be used when a Crayford is better and now the industry standard? Why would lenses be figured to just meet the Rayleigh criterion instead of being openly documented at something of greater accuracy? The reason is whatever the market accepts (and why) is all that matters. There are more questions, far more than answers, but if bias is set aside, I think you may can see my point.

Tom TAdministrator

#2172334 - 02/06/08 01:46 PM

Hi Pete,

I don't think I'd say a crayford is automatically better. IME, it depends on the application that you're going to use the scope for.

Further I'm not certain a poor experience 20-25 years ago with what (at the time) was a new process for them (powder coating) qualifies as a definitive statement on QC (or even in this case a truly valid counterpoint). However, I do agree there are exceptions to everything, and that people should seek out as many informed opinions as possible before considering a major purchase. Excellent advice, and something I always advocate.

And actually, the thread is indeed intended to discuss the NP101 and the NP101 article [snip, spaceydee]
Thanks!

T

Edited by spaceydee (02/10/08 01:33 PM)

naglertized
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/10/07

Loc: Jacksonville Florida
      #2172371 - 02/06/08 01:57 PM

Tom, it was a TV ad. Would it be a violation of TOS to take an image of the ad and post it?

spaceydee
Postmaster

Reged: 04/16/04

Loc: Where the Kittens Are
      #2172442 - 02/06/08 02:24 PM

I would drop it. To be honest there have been a lot of scopes advertised as APOs that today would not be considered such.

Folks, as Tom has suggested can we please get back on topic??

thanks!!

Tom TAdministrator

Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: spaceydee]
      #2172488 - 02/06/08 02:48 PM

Hi Clinton,

Unfortunately yes.

But I've verified it myself. Times change.

T

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #2172568 - 02/06/08 03:32 PM

Quote:

Include to this the absolutely desireable depth of focus from them that more accurately compensates for atmospheric changes to focus at high powers. An f/5.4 quickly falls flat on it's face in this regard.

That would be a myth.

sixela
Postmaster

Reged: 12/23/04

Loc: Boechout, Belgium
      #2172620 - 02/06/08 03:51 PM

Quote:

Let's not forget that fact about a company keeping a product as cost effective as possible. A question might be why for example would a rack and pinion focuser be used when a Crayford is better and now the industry standard?

There's nothing wrong with a good rack and pinion focuser. Some of the models with helical teeth are better than any Crayford focuser I've ever met, and they carry very high loads without ever budging a micron.

Astrophysics also has a fine rack and pinion focuser. If you want to convince Roland Christen he hasn't seen the "industry standard" light yet, be my guest.

Have you actually used the Televue rack and pinion focuser? Is it anything like a Synta or GSO rack and pinion focuser?

spaceydee
Postmaster

Reged: 04/16/04

Loc: Where the Kittens Are
      #2172665 - 02/06/08 04:07 PM

I've used the TV rack and pinion and like it a lot better than any other focuser I have used except the Feathertouch. I have never used the Moonlight though.

starpal
professor emeritus

#2172672 - 02/06/08 04:09 PM

Not talking about low end Crayfords you mentioned only high end ones where the load capacities and fine performance are generally found superior to R&Ps. Crayfords are superior. There is no possible mechanical slop, there are multi-speed options and this is type especially well suited to short focal ratio telescopes due to the shorter depth of focus. Yes, I've use TeleVue scope many times.

RogerRZ
Whatta you lookin' at?

Reged: 01/09/06

Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada
      #2172675 - 02/06/08 04:10 PM

Quote:

Have you actually used the Televue rack and pinion focuser? Is it anything like a Synta or GSO rack and pinion focuser?

I have, and the answer is NO! The TV models I used (one on a TV102, and another, the newer black-drawtubed model, TV76), were head and shoulders above (actually, probably the waist up, maybe more) the C80ED I now have. Even if the lens is nice on the 'ED, I miss my TV76, and wish I had the green to go NP101...

blandp11
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/19/05

Loc: Glen Ridge, NJ USA
      #2172738 - 02/06/08 04:48 PM

The best Crayfords are inferior to the best R&P because a R&P can hold a heavy load under dew conditions with positive mechanical contact while a crayford will slip on the dew slicked surface.

There is a reason why the focusers of Astro-Physics, TEC, TMB, Tele Vue and others are R&P. When an imaging train is hanging pulling off while imaging at the zenith, you want a R&P system.

Philip

Quote:

Not talking about low end Crayfords you mentioned only high end ones where the load capacities and fine performance are generally found superior to R&Ps. Crayfords are superior. There is no possible mechanical slop, there are multi-speed options and this is type especially well suited to short focal ratio telescopes due to the shorter depth of focus. Yes, I've use TeleVue scope many times.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16422

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics