Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
ac2005

Reged: 11/04/07

Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: Tom T]
      #2169526 - 02/05/08 10:16 AM

Excellent...thoroughly enjoyed reading it...thank you for sharing insight on the tv facility.

Regards
AC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ckwastro
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: ac2005]
      #2169560 - 02/05/08 10:31 AM

Tom,

As always, excellent review, thank you! Darn near picked up the phone and called TV so I could have a "His & Hers " pair of 4"(ish) APO's at home. Especially since my wife confiscated the AP as her own

Seriously though I used a friend's on & off for a couple years and I completely agree with your assessment of it's performance - excellent instrument.

Dirtyharry

Reged: 11/01/07

#2169561 - 02/05/08 10:31 AM

The NP is a different beast than the TV101 or the Genesis SDF, and it really is a step up from the TV102.

Tom T.

Hi Tom,

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree! The NP101 might well have better colour correction, but there are many more aberrations to consider than this and the TV 102, being a doublet at f/8.6 means that most of these other imperfections are reduced even further than they could be at f/5.4. I confirmed this with a simple but all-telling star test, where I once compared a TV 101 with a TV102. The 102 won hands down and showed a level of SA correction < 1/8th wave ptv. The 101 was more like 1/5th wave, which is enough to take the edge off fine planetary detail. Have a look at the Aberrator freeware where it compares a typical petzval 4" f/5.4 to that of a 4" f/8.6. That's more or less what I have experienced. I doubt if a typical NP101 would do a lot better in this respect.
The extra $1000 for the NP101 gets you increased portability, a slightly wider field of view at low power and excellent field flatness for astrophotography. But it DOES NOT, IMO, translate to better sharpness and contrast (irrespective of the kinds of coatings they employ).
Harry.

dtsmith
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/06

Loc: Lafayette, IN
Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: ac2005]
      #2169576 - 02/05/08 10:41 AM

I thought it was a great review Tom, although as an owner, I'll readily admit that I am biased. One of the things I really like about this scope is the fact the case doesn't require you to disassemble the scope to store it. Just remove the eyepiece, pop in the dust covers and put it away with the diagonal and clamshell/starbeam attached. I noticed in the pictures that the Focusmate and driver appear to be quite large. Does the size of the Focusmate create problems when using the case?

ScottAz
Fleet Navigator

Reged: 02/06/05

Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: dtsmith]
      #2169584 - 02/05/08 10:47 AM

Fantastic! (As always.) Thanks, Tom!

Tom TAdministrator

Reged: 02/26/02

Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: Dirtyharry]
      #2169587 - 02/05/08 10:48 AM

Quote:

I confirmed this with a simple but all-telling star test, where I once compared a TV 101 with a TV102.

Hi Harry, a TV101 (like the SDF) is a different telescope than an NP101.

Like I said, I was where you are once.

Quote:

But it DOES NOT, IMO, translate to better sharpness and contrast

Actually depending on the amount of visual accommodation you have (younger people tend to have more, older people less), a flatter field does mean that the field (overall) is sharper - because everything comes to focus at the same point (a similar argument can be made for color correction, but I don't think it's as big an issue here). OTOH, Increased color correction allows one to see deeper as the energy is where it's supposed to be rather than scattered beyond the airy disk. (I've confirmed that experimentally BTW.) And it results in a cleaner view at higher magnifications.

Quote:

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree!

Sure. No problems there. I respect your opinion. I just don't share it any longer.

Clear skies.

Tom T.

Tom TAdministrator

Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: dtsmith]
      #2169630 - 02/05/08 11:08 AM

Quote:

Does the size of the Focusmate create problems when using the case?

Not in the slightest.

Thanks for all the comments folks!

T

amirab

Reged: 03/03/04

Loc: Israel
      #2169643 - 02/05/08 11:16 AM

Hi Tom .

As always ,I like to read you'r reviews and in fact it affected few of my buying decisions.

I own a Genesis SDF.

When you wrote " a TV101 (like the SDF) is a different telescope than an NP101" to what qualities do you refer exactly except CA ? .

Amir

Tom TAdministrator

Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: amirab]
      #2169660 - 02/05/08 11:21 AM

Hi Amir,

I believe the design is the same but the coatings and glasses are different.

If you aren't an imager you won't gain much at low power.

However, with the samples I owned, I found the performance of the SDF at high power was on a par with (perhaps slightly below) the TV102. The NP101 is clearly a better high power performer.

The SDF is a wonderful telescope - a true classic. I had one, and hated to part with it.

T

Brian Gibson

Reged: 10/17/07

Loc: Oakville, Ontario
      #2169788 - 02/05/08 12:25 PM Attachment (130 downloads)

Nice article Tom. I have a TV Pronto and a TV-85 as well as one of the original 13mm T1 Nagler's. I will never part with any of them. The quality and performance are truly outstanding and make me smile every time I use them!

Here is a single 60 second Olympus E510 DSLR shot of comet Holmes taken last November with the 70mm Pronto using a TV 0.8X reducer flatener.

Brian Gibson

Clive Gibbons
Mostly Harmless

Reged: 05/26/05

Loc: Oort Cloud
      #2169803 - 02/05/08 12:31 PM

Another excellent review from you, Tom.
We can always count on you for the "straight goods".

Your behind-the-scenes look at TeleVue was also really neat.

Tom TAdministrator

Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: Clive Gibbons]
      #2169817 - 02/05/08 12:36 PM

Nice shot Brian!

Clive, that was (at one time) supposed to be a full fledged article. I visited last year at NEAF and was planning on doing something a month or two down the road. Unfortunately, my mother passed during that time frame, and I wasn't able to write for a while. By the time I found my voice again, my impressions weren't as immediate and the article wouldn't have been anywhere near as good. I'm glad that I was finally able to get something of it down.

I appreciate your comments gents.

rick rian
Seeker of Truth(s)

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Upper Mid West
      #2169883 - 02/05/08 01:13 PM

Thanks Tom, another wonderful review.

timmbottoni
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/05

Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA
Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: rick rian]
      #2170089 - 02/05/08 02:54 PM

I really enjoyed the review Tom!

I appreciate your up front, and descriptive approach, and if you ever need another set of eyes on some piece of equipment you are reviewing, you can feel free to contact me!

Timm

goober

Reged: 12/31/07

Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #2170432 - 02/05/08 05:10 PM

Quote:

If I had to pick just three, it would be the 31 Nagler t5, the 13mm Ethos, and the 2-4 zoom. I'd also pick the Antares 1.6x or TV 2x barlows.

Cheers Tom.

Someone was kind enough to drop an Ethos in my scope last week, and I still haven't recovered from the view through it. It sort of made my 24mm Panoptic and 11T6 Nagler instantly redundant

Also, a visiting 7mm Pentax XW performed nicely against my 7mm Nagler T6 - seemed to provide brighter, more comfortable views. Need to do some more comparisons with this match up.

spaceydee
Postmaster

Reged: 04/16/04

Loc: Where the Kittens Are
Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 *DELETED* new [Re: goober]
      #2170946 - 02/05/08 08:34 PM

Post deleted by spaceydee

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Guilford, Connecticut
Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: spaceydee]
      #2171069 - 02/05/08 09:26 PM

Excellect review Tom.

But shouldn't you be working on the next installment of your Nagler review?

spaceydee
Postmaster

Reged: 04/16/04

Loc: Where the Kittens Are
Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: Jim Romanski]
      #2171081 - 02/05/08 09:32 PM

technically speaking, this is a Nagler!
(doesn't NP stand for Nagler/Petzval??)

starpal
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/06/04

Loc: Mid-USA
      #2171284 - 02/05/08 10:59 PM

Tom, nicely written review. I wish it were in you to review other APOs that are more cost effective. I thought that was the point to relay of the review I was to read.

The longer APOs on the market than f/5.4 will offer sharp to edge color free performance as well with less elements to degrade the final wavefront as found in Nagler's specialized 4-element design. Include to this the absolutely desireable depth of focus from them that more accurately compensates for atmospheric changes to focus at high powers. An f/5.4 quickly falls flat on it's face in this regard.

[snip, spaceydee]

Would I buy another product of theirs at today's prices?? I have stars in my eyes but they are from the sky above and not my dreamy imagination.

It is my opinion that there is far better money spent and review time to be done elsewhere. I hope to see more work done with scopes and eyepieces other than TeleVue all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I always wish to speak the truth, and I do like your literary style, however. It is the best there is and improving all the time!

Edited by spaceydee (02/11/08 12:29 AM)

docmusolf
Out of Africa

Reged: 09/06/07

Loc: port austin, mi
Re: CN Report: The Tele Vue NP101 new [Re: starpal]
      #2171381 - 02/05/08 11:52 PM

nice article. always enjoy the read. I am not personally able to appreciate what this scope has to offer. However the view of comet holmes through the ethos was amazing. to all that would like other reviews i would suggest that you call those manufactures and ask them to send Tom more scopes. From my knowledge of how this woorks is that he will review what is sent to him. No scope equals no review. I to would like to read more reviews so i have more reasons to sit around smoke cigars sip on scotch and dream about astronmoy when i a freezing in the middle of winter. So lets all make it a point to call our favorite relescope company and ask them to send more scopes for review.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16239

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics