Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
asaint
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/25/03

Astro-Tech Voyager Mount
      #2857369 - 01/11/09 06:20 AM

Astro-Tech

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom TAdministrator

Reged: 02/26/02

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: asaint]
      #2859887 - 01/12/09 10:12 AM

Nice review Jason!

Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

Reged: 06/21/04

Loc: Mid-Michigan
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: Tom T]
      #2859979 - 01/12/09 11:20 AM

Thank you!

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: Jason B]
      #2860759 - 01/12/09 05:46 PM Attachment (133 downloads)

Hi Jason,

Great review. I was tempted to write a review myself on the Voyager I've had for about a year and I agree that it's an awesome grab and go set up. As for the height, I opted to use a CG5 tripod which gets the scope up far enough for me to stand while observing. I just need to bend over a little bit to see to the zenith.

Geo557
Astro-Scout

Reged: 10/10/07

Loc: SE GA
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: JimMo]
      #2860944 - 01/12/09 07:13 PM

Very good informative review Jason. Ideal G&G mount. I plan to own one someday.

Robo-bob
sage

Reged: 05/02/05

Loc: Central Alberta
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: Geo557]
      #2860973 - 01/12/09 07:25 PM

Would this be a good mount for a 4" F6 refractor? I have tried a bunch of alt.az. mounts only to be disappointed by the
motions and the vibrations. I really want something that will be reasonably stable and still keep vibrations under 1 second with a sharp rap to the tube. What do you all think?
I could also put the mount head on a beefier tripod if that would give me the desired result.

Rob

TONGKW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/16/07

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: Robo-bob]
      #2861089 - 01/12/09 08:29 PM Attachment (104 downloads)

I occasionally mount my TSA102 (102 mm f/8) on the Voyager for a quick look. The set up is usable but unfortunately as the center line of the refractor OTA is offset to one side I am a bit scared of the stability problem so I always stand by the side for fear of tipping over in case some enthusiastic viewer might give it an accidental nudge.

K W TONG
----------------
C8 + CG-5GT, TSA102 + HEQ5 PRO, MK67 + Voyager Mount, WO ZS 80FD + Kenko NES, NexStar 6SE, WO Megrez 72 + Mizar K Mount, Mini Borg 50, C5, PST

TONGKW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/16/07

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: TONGKW]
      #2861092 - 01/12/09 08:30 PM Attachment (110 downloads)

The Voyager is actually more stable for mounting short length OTA such as the C8

Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: TONGKW]
      #2861271 - 01/12/09 09:45 PM

Thanks guys! This is my first "real" review so I appreciate the feedback.

Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: Robo-bob]
      #2861283 - 01/12/09 09:50 PM

Quote:

Would this be a good mount for a 4" F6 refractor? I have tried a bunch of alt.az. mounts only to be disappointed by the
motions and the vibrations. I really want something that will be reasonably stable and still keep vibrations under 1 second with a sharp rap to the tube. What do you all think?
I could also put the mount head on a beefier tripod if that would give me the desired result.

Rob

Depends on what 4" F6 it is. My 3" F8 is about the same length. I would guess the slight weight difference wouldn't be much. If it's a smaller, lighter OTA like the Orion 100mm F6, it should be fine in the 1-2 second range. A heavier triplett APO might be slightly worse but not much. With my 6" F5, it is still 1-2 seconds on the grass so I can't imagine it would be any worse than that.

Thanks!

dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
      #2861393 - 01/12/09 10:57 PM

An excellent review.

The movements aren't buttery smooth like an EZTouch, but that means that balance is not as critical, which helps. The slo-mos are also a plus.

I bought mine to mount a C6, but last time had the ED100 f/9 on it. The mount worked well with both -- but the tripod is too short!

I have considered the available extender, but will probably look for a CG-5 or a wood compatible tripod.

DLB242
Mr. Warmth

Reged: 07/29/08

Loc: Pen Argyl, PA
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: dvb]
      #2862998 - 01/13/09 07:07 PM

Ditto to the nice review. I usually observe seated even for grab and go. Right now I am using a Stellarvue M1 mount on a home made wooden tripod with my 80mm scopes. But 80mm is about the upper limit for this mount so I am looking for an Alt Az for my 102mm f/8.7 SV102BV. Doesn't sound encouraging so far.

Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: DLB242]
      #2863192 - 01/13/09 08:51 PM

Thanks guys!

paul hart
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Lawn Guyland, New Yawk, Earth
      #2868810 - 01/16/09 12:09 PM

Jason,
Thank you also. I was on the fence about getting a Voyager, and after reading your review, I ordered one.

AstronomicsAdministrator
Vendor if you must, AKA The Mighty Kong.

Reged: 06/07/04

Loc: Right Here
      #2869226 - 01/16/09 03:18 PM

It will most certainly take more then an 80mm scope. No worries.

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

Reged: 12/11/04

Loc: N.E. WI Sky Glow
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: Astronomics]
      #2869437 - 01/16/09 05:11 PM

Great review Jason

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

Reged: 12/11/04

Loc: N.E. WI Sky Glow
      #2869445 - 01/16/09 05:15 PM

Hi David, I used my 102ED F7 on this mount and felt the mount the could handle the weight, changing the tripod legs to wood ones would increase the stabilty for a heavy scope such as yours.

Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: Chris Schroeder]
      #2869530 - 01/16/09 05:56 PM

Thanks Chris and Paul!

I agree with Mike on the assertion of taking more than an 80mm scope. My 6" F5 rides very nice on this mount. The only thing I would worry about is if it was a really long scope, such as an F10 4". The moment arm might lengthen the time the vibrations dampen out by a second or so. Some wouldn't mind it, some might. YMMV as they say.

I will try it one of these nights if it ever clears in mid-Michigan with one of my larger refractors. I'd do it tonight but I have a new MX7C to try out and it's actually clear!

Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

#2869534 - 01/16/09 05:58 PM

Paul,
It will be a great match for the 127mm Starmax if that is the scope you intend to use it for!

paul hart
Pooh-Bah

#2869786 - 01/16/09 08:06 PM

Quote:

Paul,
It will be a great match for the 127mm Starmax if that is the scope you intend to use it for!

Yes that it will be used for primarily. It's going to fly with me to New Mexico in June. Plus I have a small car and want to take it to my brother's place in northern Michigan.

DCS357

Reged: 10/20/08

Loc: Lubbock, Tx
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: paul hart]
      #2869809 - 01/16/09 08:18 PM

An excellent review.
Do you think I would have any problems with my Celestron 120 Omni f/8.3. It is 40" long and 12.5 lbs. I am thinking of getting this if it will support my scope. Also, will the mount work with my tripod (CG-4), i heard it will work with the CG-5)

thanks
don c

Edited by DCS357 (01/16/09 08:23 PM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #2869826 - 01/16/09 08:31 PM

Jason, Wonderful review! I have the AT Voyager, & love it; selling my PortaMount & keeping the AT.

Thanks for the great photos accompanying your review, also!

Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

#2870147 - 01/16/09 11:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Paul,

Yes that it will be used for primarily. It's going to fly with me to New Mexico in June. Plus I have a small car and want to take it to my brother's place in northern Michigan.

You'll have to try and come in September some time, during the Great Lakes Star Gaze. Nice star party in North-Central Michigan.

Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: DCS357]
      #2870154 - 01/16/09 11:30 PM

Quote:

An excellent review.
Do you think I would have any problems with my Celestron 120 Omni f/8.3. It is 40" long and 12.5 lbs. I am thinking of getting this if it will support my scope. Also, will the mount work with my tripod (CG-4), i heard it will work with the CG-5)

thanks
don c

Thanks Don. The mount would have no trouble holding the weight but the length could be a problem with focusing gitters. I think it would be alright but everybody is little different when it comes to mount tolerances so, if you can, give it try before you buy.

I am unfamiliar with the CG4 tripod so I can't help you there.

Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: csa/montana]
      #2870156 - 01/16/09 11:31 PM

Thanks for the kind words Carol.

SilentLight

Reged: 11/29/08

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
      #3098119 - 05/11/09 12:55 PM

I just unpacked mine last night. Build quality is top notch. Seems to hold my 180mm Mak-Cass ok, although haven't tested it to extremes yet with camera or eyepiece. Ordering half-pier for it since it's too short for my SV80/9D.

Where is a good source for wood legs?

paul hart
Pooh-Bah

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: SilentLight]
      #3101431 - 05/12/09 10:56 PM

I got wooden legs from Hands On Optics. I use my Voyager mount with a Orion 127 Mak. I use the supplied legs, but I use anti-vibration pads with them. BTW instead of shelling out 50 bucks for pads, I made mine for about 5 dollars using rubber cups used for furniture legs and RTV.

chooch
journeyman

Reged: 10/01/12

#5471627 - 10/15/12 01:54 PM

Has anyone used the JMI microslew motors for the Voyager ?

Photoner
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/06/06

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: chooch]
      #5471862 - 10/15/12 04:44 PM

PM sent

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: Photoner]
      #5471954 - 10/15/12 05:39 PM

I tried out the JMI microslew when I first got my Voyager. At first I liked it because at high power mode on planets and using orthos it's an easy and relaxing way to track on the mount. But...there were two issues I had that made me discard the setup within a couple months.

First is once you install the JMI you lose manual control of slewing, which is preferable on low power DSO viewing. I corrected that by changing out one of the two allen setcrews on each coupler sleeve to a brass thumbscrew so I could disengage and run manually on DSO's.

Second, and the even bigger issue is the hand controller is setup for only altitude or azimuth mode at a time. I tired very quickly of having to change the switch on the controller from altitude to azimuth mode every 30 seconds. I provided feedback to JMI suggesting that they'd have a much better product if they'd make a controller with 4 buttons, one set for azimuth and the other for altitude. Their rather smug reply was basically "whatever", they really didn't care.

At that point I said forget it and got rid of it, wanting nothing more to do with JMI. I've also had trouble with them on an EV-1 purchase, getting the wrong configuration and adapters, and billed $100 more than it should've been; never got refund of the overbilling either.

Edited by simpleisbetter (10/15/12 06:07 PM)

Photoner
professor emeritus

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5471969 - 10/15/12 05:48 PM

I concur with what Steve said.

15% restocking fee for a return.

Better to use a computer to match the earths motions with alt/az motors--like Celestron & Meade do with the goto mounts.

Quote the Raven...

rathbaster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/21/08

Loc: East Bridgewater, MA
      #5473319 - 10/16/12 01:27 PM

Quote:

Has anyone used the JMI microslew motors for the Voyager ?

I did but I upgraded to the Train-n-track system from JMI. It uses the same motors but adds a control box so that you can set the rate that they rotate at.

I find Train-n-track to be very useful, after a little practice it takes very little time to set the rates. Much, much better than the micro-slew motors.

-Joe

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: rathbaster]
      #5474999 - 10/17/12 12:31 PM

Anyone having issues with sticktion and play on the Voyager and any remedy? I've noticed sticktion issues not only on my unit, but a friend's unit and the display units at astronomics as well.

It's slightly noticeable with something like a C6 OTA, and as much as much as I would like to use a C8 on it (have tried it and it's more stable than I'd imagine), there is quite a bit of play and sticktion on my unit that makes the experience less than idea. Comparatively, I've used 3 different Porta Mounts and they have all been smoother than the Voyager (no play, smooth slo-mo, little sticktion - but my 'issue' with the Porta is the fixed right-handed and angled head).

I know that you can release the 3 bolts on the puck to adjust the gap for the worm gear, but when it's tight the slo-mo tends of have several rough/tight spots. Any idea if a tear-down and re-lube would help?

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: core]
      #5476522 - 10/18/12 08:29 AM

I think one takes their chance on getting a 'good one' (Voyager). Manufacturing tolerances vary on this lower end budget type of mount. I've had two. My first one never was all that smooth....no matter what I did adjustment-wise. My current one is truly sweet. Very, very smooth in both directions. No movement delay, no play. Just buttery smooth motions. I lucked out and now have a good one.

Photoner
professor emeritus

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: Chucky]
      #5477374 - 10/18/12 04:47 PM

My copy of the Voyager mount works well and is very handy for:

PST
TV 102
120ST
C8 Edge HD

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: Photoner]
      #5481622 - 10/21/12 09:41 AM Attachment (48 downloads)

My combined white light and hydrogen alpha solar rig rides my Voyager with ease.

chooch
journeyman

Reged: 10/01/12

#5491275 - 10/27/12 07:49 AM

Thats strange because when i bought the micro-slew motors and h/c , I wanted to buy the H/C for track and train to have in addition to the m/s h/c and was told it was an entirely different set up ?

rathbaster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/21/08

Loc: East Bridgewater, MA
      #5491308 - 10/27/12 08:17 AM

Quote:

Thats strange because when i bought the micro-slew motors and h/c , I wanted to buy the H/C for track and train to have in addition to the m/s h/c and was told it was an entirely different set up ?

By upgrade I meant I purchased the whole Train-n-Track setup. However, it is simply the micro-slew motors with a new control box.

Mike Cook

Reged: 07/13/08

Loc: Moncton NB (Cloud Central)
      #5491423 - 10/27/12 10:10 AM

I have an Astro-Tech Voyager and have been using it for a few years. Someone mentioned stiction; well, mine had it, notably when I had the mount arm set at an angle so I could point the telescope to the zenith. The stiction was really noticeable with a short telescope. (Meade series 5000 80mm short tube refractor.) Often times I would keep overshooting the object I wanted to point at as the mount snapped out of stiction with a squeak as I moved it to and fro. My solution was to take it apart, clean off the original lube, and reapply a broad temperature 'food grade' industrial grease. Been smooth as silk since.

SilentLight

Reged: 11/29/08

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
      #5491822 - 10/27/12 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

By upgrade I meant I purchased the whole Train-n-Track setup. However, it is simply the micro-slew motors with a new control box.

I have the old micro-slew too, and was told by Tom at JMI that "the Micro-Slew motors are much faster than the TNT motors." Therefore, have to buy the whole TNT kit, not just controller.

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager Mount new [Re: SilentLight]
      #5642321 - 01/25/13 10:45 AM

I have had one really annoying problem with this munnt. The spreader arms of the the tripod terminate on bases attached to the inner side of the legs. These bases are held on by screw going into nothing except the folded sheet metal of the legs. If the pull out, which they did, and I am not a particularly muscle-y person, there is only sheet metal to try to put them back in, and the threads are at least partly stripped at this point. Longer bolts cannot be used, because they would interfere with the telescoping extension of the legs. I have tried reinforcing with adhesives, but have been only partly successful.

Maybe I got a bad one, but to me, this looks like a design flaw.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7057

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics