Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: The Cost of a Good Eyepiece Redux new [Re: mloffland]
      #4766414 - 08/24/11 01:48 PM

This is what this site is all about - gear reviews. Agree or disagree, this is what folks drawn to CN want to see. Problem is, almost no gear reviews are published by the site any longer. Instead, it's a never ending stream of periodic, recurring observing articles. Hey self-proclaimed "Telescope Reviews" site, where are the new Telescope Reviews!

- Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: The Cost of a Good Eyepiece Redux new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4766553 - 08/24/11 02:46 PM

Quote:

This is what this site is all about - gear reviews. Agree or disagree, this is what folks drawn to CN want to see. Problem is, almost no gear reviews are published by the site any longer. Instead, it's a never ending stream of periodic, recurring observing articles. Hey self-proclaimed "Telescope Reviews" site, where are the new Telescope Reviews!

- Jim

Cloudynights isn't just about equipment reviews, although there are a lot of them here. There are quite a few articles being worked on right now:

From the Feedback Forum, Mike at Astronomics said:

We are also working on a system that is volunteer with zero pay. The guys try really hard and get to it when they can take time off of their real jobs. At astronomics we are in the middle of a new website build, new office build, and new product builds. We have many different things in the fire and will get to them as fast as we can.

Time problems have kept them from being posted right now, so what you say isn't necessarily all that fair. Why don't you submit a review Jim? You can even post a short one in (horrors) the forums.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: The Cost of a Good Eyepiece Redux new [Re: David Knisely]
      #4767686 - 08/25/11 12:30 AM

Dave:

"Why don't you submit a review Jim? You can even post a short one in (horrors) the forums."

That's hardly fair. I frequently post lengthy, detailed reviews and other topics in the forums. I also have previously submitted reviews and currently I have several new reviews written and ready for submission (World Cup II, TMB vs. TMB, and two others, and a fifth collaborative piece in the works), but am holding on to them for now.

Here's why. I submitted an article last April on the importance of Dark Sky travel and it hasn't progressed through the queue at all in the intervening months. I can also see many other gear reviews similarly stalled in the submission queue that have been there as long or even longer than my piece. Why submit more work product only to see it sit for months and months? While historically CN has been the *best* place to publish due to its large membership, it is not the *only* place to publish such material.

It's the recurring observing report serials that see publication while true gear reviews or other non-serialized pieces are awaiting editorial review. The article out of Pakistan a couple of months ago was a godsend, but it's one interesting piece in a sea of sameness. It's not encouraging to put the effort in on a 20+ page, well illustrated piece and then have it sit gathering virtual dust while yet another seasonal observing report piece gets posted. Frankly, I read what could be seen in Ophiuchus this time last year in two different serialized pieces. Do I need to rehash Ophiuchus again this season? I appreciate that folks write these pieces, but it's a little like having pizza every single night for dinner. I love pizza, but even I have my limits on how much of it I want to eat.

I understand that it is volunteer administered and that folks are busy. That's fine. But perhaps we need a few more volunteers to help return the site's content to its original variety, update frequency and diverse focus. I no longer bother even checking the lead in page. It's always the next installment of "adventures in Delphinus and Sagitta".

In other words, I'd like to see CN sort this problem out, so my comment is intended as a constructive criticism. At least the forums remain active and informative. However, forum posts don't work well for comprehensive reviews due to the file size limits. They prohibit the inclusion of sufficiently detailed images and illustrations IMO.

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (08/25/11 12:36 AM)

Tom TAdministrator

Reged: 02/26/02

#4769244 - 08/25/11 08:14 PM

We're working on that.

Matt Lindsey
sage

Reged: 06/06/08

Loc: Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.
      #4769250 - 08/25/11 08:17 PM

Bingo. Let's see some new stuff.

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: The Cost of a Good Eyepiece Redux new [Re: PureHeaven]
      #4800990 - 09/11/11 12:33 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure this is the right place to mention this, and I have no stake whatsoever in promoting any company or product, but a few weeks ago I lucked into spending an entire evening with a handful of other telescopers, looking through the prototype of the Explore Scientific 14mm. We compared it to my 13mm ethos in several scopes and I have to admit that I came away preferring the Explore Scientific eyepiece in one important aspect- it's "physiological" interface- meaning it was simply easier for me to see through.

I've found the ethos requires me to keep my eye centered over a sort of "sweet-spot", and I get kidney beaning if I hover off that spot. This is most apparent when trying to scan the entire 100 degree FOV, which requires a lot of roving eye movement (yes, if you haven't yet looked through a 100 degree FOV, you really can't take it all in simply looking straight ahead). I'm fine with it now, it only took a bit of time to get used to, so I hardly think about anymore, and my Ethos is definitely my most used and beloved EP.

However, my first impression looking through the Explore Scientific was that the field seemed "flatter"- and I realized that I didn't have to stay on a "sweet spot" to search view the entire 100 degree FOV. Scanning the FOV was simply easier.

That is my impression also.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6755

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics