Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Durval Menezes

Reged: 08/30/10

Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Re: Collinder Catalog of Open Star Clusters (updated) new [Re: Larry Mc]
      #5729713 - 03/13/13 05:38 AM

Hi Larry,

Great job: I specially liked your sketches! Thanks for taking the time to publish it all.

On a related note, for you and any other folks interested, some googling returned this other page, with astrophotos and designation data for each cluster: http://www.cristoraul.com/SPANISH/astromuseo/starweb/Collinder.htm

Cheers,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Swamp Fox
sage

Reged: 12/26/06

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Collinder Catalog of Open Star Clusters (updated) new [Re: Durval Menezes]
      #5729815 - 03/13/13 08:01 AM

Very nice site!! I am also interested in observing these clusters and will revisit this often. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work!!

droidModerator
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Collinder Catalog of Open Star Clusters (updated) new [Re: Swamp Fox]
      #5731746 - 03/14/13 08:10 AM

My only problem, with the Cr catalogs and listings is , and this is only a example, Cassiopeia, there are what 20? objects in it. The Owl ( ET ) cluster aside, one could look there with a wide angle ep, and loose all hope of figuring which knot of stars is which.
Charts with telrad bulls eyes circles would be lovly.
That said Toms catalogue is still the best Ive found, and yes I have it in my referance library, highly recommended.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Collinder Catalog of Open Star Clusters (updated) new [Re: Larry Mc]
      #5733319 - 03/15/13 12:21 AM

Quote:

hi all,

Back in the Dec 2012 'Sky & Tel', there was a neat article about odd-named star clusters. (see page 36).
After reading thru it, I got to thinking that I had already observed a number of these clusters - Stock, Trumpler, and Collinder.
I followed the link in the magazine article to this article on 'cloudy nights' about the Collinder Catalog, and that perked my interest in creating a new webpage.
Here it is: the 'Collinder Cluster Tour': http://home.comcast.net/~lsmch/collinder-tour.htm
This is my personal observations, either visual sketches or video capture, of the 'Collinder Objects' over a 25 year period using various telescopes or cameras. Of the 471 star clusters & asterisms listed in the catalog, I have a total of 268 out of a possible 353 CR objects visible from +40 latitude. (the other 118 objects are not visible from my location).
You'll find a number of your favorite objects, such as CR399 - the Coathanger, CR42 - Pleiades, CR50 -Hyades, CR70 - Orion's Belt, CR256 - Melotte-111(Coma Cluster), and even CR285 - the Big Dipper!
In addition to the above link, you can find this new 'tour' listed on my website.
Enjoy!!!

Larry
Astronomical Webportal: http://home.comcast.net/~lsmch/

Wow! Very nicely done, sir! Just the sort of thing I was hoping to enable!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9431

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics