Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: Southern Stars SkyWire: Controlling Your Telescope new [Re: amys]
      #4650249 - 06/20/11 11:53 PM

Sure Amy,

http://www.southernstars.com/products/skysafari/index.html

That's the new version of the program. Also, Tim is a really wonderful guy. He has answered all my questions and has addressed some of the quirks from version 2. I can't speak highly enough about this program.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
amys
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/12/06

Loc: Groton, CT
Re: Southern Stars SkyWire: Controlling Your Telescope new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #4650520 - 06/21/11 07:34 AM

Thanks. I just downloaded version 3.

gatorengineer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/28/05

Loc: Hellertown, PA
Re: Southern Stars SkyWire: Controlling Your Telescope new [Re: RobTeeter]
      #4651686 - 06/21/11 07:52 PM

Quote:

This may be slightly off-topic, but I can't wait for Southern Stars to come out with a USB version of either their SkyWire or SkyFi systems. I use a Truss Dob with SkyCommander and ServoCat, but unfortunately neither the SkyWire or SkyFi will talk to the ServoCat because the Generation3 ServoCat that I have uses a USB PC connection. Previous versions of the ServoCat, which utilized a Serial Port instead of USB, will talk to an iPad just fine using the SkyWire or SkyFi. I spoke with the Southern Stars guys at NEAF about all of this and they assure me something is in the works, but they don't have an estimate on a release date yet.

Being able to sit at my Dob and pan the sky on my iPad and then tap any galaxy, cluster or nebula, and then watch the scope to slew to it is an awesome idea. All you non-ServoCat drive guys make sure you enjoy this toy, but just know there are others of us out there waiting for Southern Stars to make the switch to USB (or at least offer USB as an option).

Take care,

Rob works great with Argo Navis........ Which would drive servocat....

RobTeeter
Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

Reged: 09/30/04

Loc: Rockaway, NJ
Re: Southern Stars SkyWire: Controlling Your Telescope new [Re: gatorengineer]
      #4652638 - 06/22/11 11:14 AM

Ahhh...that's the connection I thought of first, since ArgoNavis has two Serial Ports, one of which would need to go to the ServoCat and the other could go to the SkyWire.

However, in my discussions with the guys at Southern Stars and with Gary at StellarCat, the way the system has to be connected in order to function properly (ie. when you push the "Goto" button on the iPad it will cause the ServoCat to slew to the selected object) is that the SkyWire (or SkyFi) has to be connected directly to the ServoCat's PC Port (USB on Gen3 units) and cannot go through an intermediate step (ie. ArgoNavis).

So we're back to finding a direct connection between the SkyWire's (or SkyFi) Serial connector and the ServoCat's USB port. It does not sound as if Gary at StellarCat is willing to "downgrade" a ServoCat box to bring Serial back in, so we're waiting for Southern Stars to "upgrade" to a USB connector.

Bill_Marq

Reged: 06/07/11

Loc: California and Arizona
      #4653429 - 06/22/11 07:30 PM

I am told that a serial-to USB adapter (with driver installed) does the trick. Is this not correct, or am I missing something? I didn't have this issue as my old LX200 has a serial port so SkyWire works fine using the cable I built from Meade's instructions in the manual. This extra cable is necessary because the telescope's serial port is a telephone type connector, not a DB-9.

RobTeeter
Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

Reged: 09/30/04

Loc: Rockaway, NJ
Re: Southern Stars SkyWire: Controlling Your Telescope new [Re: Bill_Marq]
      #4653526 - 06/22/11 08:33 PM

The problem is "with driver installed"...as far as I know, there is no way to install drivers on an iPad. When I first bought the SkyWire, I rigged up a Serial-USB adapter, but got connection errors between the scope and the iPad through the SkyWire. If there is a Serial-USB adapter out there that does not require drivers it might just do the trick, but I haven't found one yet (Southern Stars and StellarCat couldn't recommend one either). I'll gladly bestow the honorary position of "Chief of IT for Teeter's Telescopes" on someone if they can find such an adapter.

Take care,

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
      #4657601 - 06/25/11 08:38 AM

This sounds wicked cool, and would be huge for outreaches here at my WSO observatory, especially for the kids...

But, I don't have an iPhone, or iPod touch... or iPad...

I'm a BlackBerry guy, and have the new BlackBerry Playbook... so I'm out of luck...

hmmm maybe a "dedicated" iPOD touch is in order...

denodan
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/04

Re: Southern Stars SkyWire: Controlling Your Telescope new [Re: Bowmoreman]
      #4661552 - 06/27/11 02:28 PM

I got Skyfi, and works well, the great thing is no wires, so I could run my scope from inside my house, if I had a wireless electronic eyepiece.

I have an ipad 2, and an ipod touch 4th gen, but I prefer the ipad, the much larger screen is so much easier to use.

I do find the slew slider on the telescope control panel does not work to well, so use my hand controller to make the fine adjustments slewing my scope.

Does anyone know the difference between Skysafari, and Starseeker? They look the same.

EricRemy

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Quebec, Canada
      #5033851 - 01/23/12 12:03 PM

Quote:

But, I don't have an iPhone, or iPod touch... or iPad...

I'm a BlackBerry guy, and have the new BlackBerry Playbook... so I'm out of luck...

hmmm maybe a "dedicated" iPOD touch is in order...

Same here. Almost regret buying it. Hardware is awsome but the developement of astronomy and other apps is not happening. Thinking of selling it and getting an ipad instead.

EricRemy

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: Southern Stars SkyWire: Controlling Your Telescope new [Re: denodan]
      #5033858 - 01/23/12 12:07 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know the difference between Skysafari, and Starseeker? They look the same.

They are the same. It's Orion's rebadged Skysafari. Read about it on the app store.

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
Re: Southern Stars SkyWire: Controlling Your Telescope new [Re: EricRemy]
      #5034402 - 01/23/12 06:32 PM

My wife and I both got iPads for Christmas this year... I am now all set and ready to go with Skysafari and sky wire, just waiting on a clear night!

Kriky
journeyman

Reged: 01/07/12

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
      #5037060 - 01/25/12 12:21 PM

I have a Orion SkyQuest XT10i IntelliScope. Is there anyone that can confirm if the Skywire/Skysafari will work with the Intelliscope system?

I know it says that "push-to" telescopes will work but I was hoping someone can confirm this before I spent the money on the cable. I know I need to get an adapter to connect the intelliscope to PC serial (I was told it can be bought at Radio Shack) which then connects to the Skywire or SkyWifi.

I thought I would start here to see if anyone has it up and running with the intelliscope.

Thanks
Kriky

Reid W

Reged: 10/06/10

Loc: Shreveport, LA
Re: Southern Stars SkyWire: Controlling Your Telescope new [Re: Kriky]
      #5048796 - 01/31/12 09:03 PM

I'm thinking that you'll need the Orion Intelliscope to PC RS232 Connector Cable.

I use SkyFi/Starseek with my Argo Navis. I have a dedicated RS232 adapter for the AN. For the push-to units to work with Safari, they need to have the ability to show direction arrows when in catalog from external source; such as planetarium mode on the Argo Navis. I cannot find that info on the intelliscope. Orion would know.

michalh

Reged: 11/30/09

Loc: Midwest, USA
Re: Southern Stars SkyWire: Controlling Your Telescope new [Re: amys]
      #5050714 - 02/01/12 10:21 PM

I've had SkySafari and SkyWire for several months, using my Ipod Touch. The only question I have is when will the big boys port their planetarium programs to WiFi? Seems like all the folks out there appreciate wireless connections (haven't tripped over my WiFi yet :-). Astroplanner on my MacBook Pro also works using the SkyWire connection.

Jason Martin

Reged: 10/22/06

Re: Southern Stars SkyWire: Controlling Your Telescope new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5051966 - 02/02/12 03:40 PM

It might have been addressed, but I don't know about fixed. I just received my starseek unit early last week and was excited to use it for our club's monthly public outreach star party. Using a first generation Ipad and an lx90 with the newest version of skysafari pro, it lost connect twice in a row when the Ipad went to sleep, and refused to reconnect without a complete restart and resync with the wifi signal. I got frustrated and just used the autostar control for the remainder of the evening and have yet to try further troubleshooting. Grrrrrr

denodan
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/04

Re: Southern Stars SkyWire: Controlling Your Telescope new [Re: Jason Martin]
      #5054453 - 02/04/12 12:42 AM

Sky fi and Skysafari now work on Android phones, so no need now for and ipad/iphone, or touch.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9363

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics