Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
doctordub
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/11/06

Loc: New Rochelle, New York
Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: WarrenM]
      #5062611 - 02/08/12 04:49 PM

The key is Telescope cases. The soft case bellow holds the AT 152:

http://www.music123.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?entProductId=549688

When I purchased my second telescope my wife encouraged me to give away my Celestron 114 GT. I did. Now I store the telescopes in protective cases that can be stoered and moved at will.

CS
Jonathan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Robo-bob
sage

Reged: 05/02/05

Loc: Central Alberta
Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: JS999R]
      #5064025 - 02/09/12 03:34 PM

Quote:

I'm getting closer to my objective of saving up enough to buy the CT152 (thats if I don't change my mind and just buy a big yard cannon DOB). The nice thing is I don't have to sell my Vixen 102 to do it. But now that puts a damper on my strategy to switch scopes as part of my cover to bring the new scope home, so its work in progress. As a partial cover story to my wife, I've been selling off a few motorcycle parts and she is aware of that, I make sure she knows this and also inflate the selling figure by at least 100%. She doesn't have a problem seeing this as a separate financial issue, so what I make off the sales is mine. If and when I do buy another telescope, I'll tell her it's used and the seller was desparate to sell. Worn out story, but it still works like negative campaign ads do. If the CT152 costs approx $1,000, I'll tell my wife it cost $425. At this stage of my plan I'm in good shape in terms of the psychology preparation. I've started dropping hints that I'm looking at a potential "smokin" deal on a telescope and have deferred the question well enough, "why do you need two of them?" Actually I think this might be easier than I anticipated because it doesn't have anything to do with buying another motorcycle. The days of secret 1099s and keeping a third bike at a buddies house are over. I never felt that guilty about not being truthful, but I don't miss the stress of keeping the bonus bucks 1099 situation a secret for a couple years. I did what I had to do to pursue my hobbies, without them life would be boring, right?

I am in awe. We are in the presence of a master. Do me a favor and keep these wonderful anecdotes coming. They are a tremendous resource to those of us who are matrimonially challenged.

Joe Ogiba
Postmaster

Reged: 02/14/02

Loc: NJ USA
      #5064032 - 02/09/12 03:38 PM

My CT152 was shipped out on Monday so I might get it by Saturday if it is handled like Priority Mail with the USPS. USPS tracking shows this:
Priority Mail International Parcels
Depart USPS Sort Facility
February 08, 2012
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94125

WarrenM

Reged: 07/27/11

Loc: Clovis, Calif., USA
Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: Joe Ogiba]
      #5064116 - 02/09/12 04:30 PM

Joe:
Congratulations on your purchase. I wish I could be there when you open that box for the first time. If your like me it's going to blow you away when you finally see it. Unfortunatly, the next week is going to seem like the longest week of your life. But it's worth the wait!!

Warren

Joe Ogiba
Postmaster

#5064214 - 02/09/12 05:53 PM

Hi Warren,

I too will be trying to keep my wife from knowing I purchased another scope. I have so many scopes I don't think she would notice it from the others but if I have to go to the Post Office and pick it up she might find out. When you received yours was there any Canada customs duties to pay ?

Joe

WarrenM

#5064619 - 02/09/12 10:31 PM

Hi Joe:
Oh my god, not you too! Does everybody out there have to hide there scope from their wife? From that list of scopes your showing, hopfully, she won't notice one more. Regarding the customs duties, I didn't have to pay anything. My scope did spend 2 days in customs in Seattle Washington. They opened the box to inspect the contents and resealed it. They left a printed flyer in the box stating they had done this. They apparently were careful because my scope arrived in perfect condition. Customs may cause a 1 or 2 day delay in your scopes arrival. But, like I said above, it's worth the wait.

Warren

Joe Ogiba
Postmaster

#5065162 - 02/10/12 09:50 AM

Hi Warren,

Thanks for that info. It does look like my scope did spend some time in customs and left late on Wednesday. Here is what USPS tracking shows:
Priority Mail International Parcels
Depart USPS Sort Facility
February 08, 2012
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94125
International Parcels
Processed through USPS Sort Facility
February 08, 2012, 7:25 pm
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94125
Processed Through Sort Facility
February 07, 2012, 7:22 pm
ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
Processed Through Sort Facility
February 06, 2012, 8:07 pm
VANCOUVER APT, CANADA
Acceptance
February 06, 2012, 4:27 pm
CANADA

Joe

Joe Ogiba
Postmaster

#5065640 - 02/10/12 02:57 PM

Warren, you are correct, this is one great looking scope ! The only bad news is the mailman delivered it to my wife since she was in the living room and I was in a back room on my PC. The false color is not too bad for a F5.9 achromat. This will be a great rich field scope with my 40mm Pentax XW. Here are photos of it with 21mm Ethos, 31mm Axiom, 40mm Pentax XW, 21mm Ethos/45° correct image prism diagonal and a telephoto shot from about 200ft away.

Thanks for all of the CT152 info you gave, this is one great scope deal.

Joe

WarrenM

#5066220 - 02/10/12 08:58 PM

Joe, thanks for the photos of your new CT152. With the eyepieces you have your going to have some awesome deep sky views. Enjoy! Warren

Joe Ogiba
Postmaster

#5066736 - 02/11/12 07:46 AM

Warren, today is the new scope curse, it's snowing.

Joe

WarrenM

#5067294 - 02/11/12 02:03 PM

Joe, the same thing happened to me last May when I got my scope. We had the second rainist May ever recorded here in central Calif. There is just no way to win!

Warren

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
      #5067363 - 02/11/12 03:12 PM

I know these are rich field scopes, but can any owners comment on the planetary performance of these beauties...

Steve

Joe Ogiba
Postmaster

Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: stevew]
      #5067565 - 02/11/12 05:34 PM

Quote:

I know these are rich field scopes, but can any owners comment on the planetary performance of these beauties...

Steve

Hi Steve,

Warren did view Saturn in his CT152 review and Larry Carlino viewed Jupiter with MV-1 filter in his
review of the Astro Telescopes version of the same scope with 2" focuser.

Joe

stevew
Now I've done it

#5067716 - 02/11/12 07:38 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

Joe, thanks for the links.
I'd like to get one of these scopes, but I already own a beautiful Antares 152 F-6.5, so I'm having a hard time justifying it.
Still, you never know.......

WarrenM

Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: stevew]
      #5067858 - 02/11/12 09:26 PM

Steve:
In my answer to amirab1's post above I go into some detail about the CT152's CA issues on bright stars and Jupiter. If you haven't read it just scroll up to it. As I state above the CA on Jupiter is there but not real bad. Even with the CA, details on Jupiter are still clear and well focused. I made an aperture mask 4 1/2 inches in diameter. The mask converts the scope into a 4 1/2 inch F-8. Using the mask decreases the CA by about 70%. What amazed me was the results I got when I used my Baader Fringe Killer filter and the mask together. The CA was completely elliminated! With this set up I had some of the best views of Jupiter I have ever seen. I saw a shadow transit where the shadow wasn't just a dark spot, but a razor sharp black dot. The great Red Spot, which is kind of tough since it faded, was easy. The moons were tiny discs not fuzzy dots. You might consider trying something like this with your Antares scope. You really have a great looking scope. Its going to be tough trying to justify buying another one similar to it.

Warren

JS999R

Reged: 12/07/11

#5068220 - 02/12/12 02:07 AM

I've always contended, the walls have ears. Tonight was a perfect example of that old saying. I went outside and noticed Mars about 10 degrees above the horizon, perfect. I went inside briefly to confirm it was Mars via Stellarium. My goal tonight was to view Mars for the first time. The sky looked good except for some clouds forming from the s/w, funny, they weren't there when I first caught a glimpse of Mars.

I did my obligatory 3 to 4 trips to set up my refractor. I went about setting things up, I didn't pay attention to the sky, but when I looked up the whole sky was clouded over! It took no more than 5 to 6 minutes for them to roll in, viewing session over.

I decided to leave the scope outside to cool off in the hope the clouds would move along as fast as they came in. Both my wife and daughter were in the kitchen/family room area watching TV and playing on the laptop. The wife went to the bathroom and that was when I decided to tell my daughter that I was thinking about buying another telescope. I told her "quietly" the scope was hugh, bigger than the Vixen, but I haven't made the deal yet because it was a "refurbished" model and I was still negotiating. I was keen enough to add that because she has busted me to my wife in the past so I assumed she would do it again so I fed her some disinformation. Just then I heard my wife yell from the bathroom, "I heard that!". Opps, busted, but not flushed or heart beating busted I've experienced before. Previously I set her up with the buying/selling scheme of items and no longer useful motorcycle parts. So its not like it will come out of our savings account, something she watches over like a gator and her eggs. She came out of the bathroom and said, "you don't see me buying things for myself" I've heard this before and I always tell her to go spoil herself since I think she should. I believe she doesn't because in her mind that might open the door for me to do the same. Of course I know she might be scamming me as much as I'm scamming her, so we are even on that score. I replied, "you know its coming from the stuff I've sold, I'm not using our savings". I went on to tell her its a refurbished scope and I'm currently negotiating for it and The price wasn't where I think it should be, bla, bla bla. With that she said nothing and walked back to her "perch" in the family room to continue watching TV. I went back to my home office feeling victorious because she didn't pursue the issue after my response. At this time I'm clear to move forward, something I already started doing yesterday.

When all this started I was in a state of indecision on what telescope to buy, a very common predicament to be in so I didn't feel alone. My desires ran from a big yard cannon Dob, an APO, and ultimately between the ES AR152 and the AT/CT152. Just like Warren I wanted the 3" focuser, not that I would load it up with anything, it just sounded like a more advanced model and maybe it had an edge on performance. This is a visual telescope and if I wanted to dabble with AP anytime soon my Vixen is very capable eventhough its an achromat. At least at my level which is the bottom rung of experience. The optics on the Vixen are so good I can't see any detectable CA on either the Moon or Jupitor, only on bright stars like Rigel or Sirius.

The AR152 comes in a ready to view OTA package for only $699. The CT152 OTA comes less the diagonal and finder and is priced at $850. At this time the Canadian Dollar and US Dollar are all square, so a buck is a buck. I figure by the time I pick up a finder and diagonal, I'll be into the CT152 around $1,070, about $370 more than what the AR152 costs. For many that is too wide a spread and they opt for the AR152. Besides the telescopes are so very close in comparison tests a person like myself might not notice the difference in performance. Good reasons to save money and buy the AR152. And now the BUT. After reading the reviews I mentioned before, in particular the side by side comparison by Ed Ting, there are enough points, albeit subtle in some cases in the CT152 column that my vote went for it. The overall performance and attention to detail in worksmanship closed the gap in terms of the spread created by the difference in price. Another factor was the shorter length of the CT152, it is a chubby fellow. But that tells me it might slew around without conflict too. I'm also looking at a long term relationship with the telescope, my scopes aren't one night stands. As Ed Ting did, you could argue the AR152 is the best bang for the buck, but the close enough differences were not enough to sway me. Actually I would wonder what would I be missing if I didn't buy the CT152.

Yesterday I made the commitment to go with the CT152 when I bought a nice quartz mirror GSO diagonal through ScopeStuff. I had intended on going with the Istar diagonal, have read good things about it and the price point was excellent, but the price on the upgraded quartz GSO was only $119 with no tax or shipping fees. Actually I would not object to paying taxes on the item, the government needs the money to keep our space telescopes operational. Next and very soon I'll pick up a finder, likely another GSO product unless Vic Maris at Stellervue has a blem finder he will sell me. I'm fortunate to live about 15 minutes from his toy store. He has helped me out in the past with discontinued or used demo pieces at good prices. The GSO finder is a right angle one priced at only $78. Another item comes from Warren's recommendation to upgrade the CG5's saddle, I agree, the factory saddle is way to short and it eats your dovetail. I'll be ordering a longer and better saddle from ADM. Thats it ladies and gentlemen, a relatively painless process compared to previous buying scenarios and man, do I have a couple of them that are down right funny. I've earned the nickname "horse trader" on a popular Ducati motorcycle website. In my signature there are eight motorcycles I have bought and sold over the last seven years; each one had a special story, not one in terms of what my wife understood at the time was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Hopefully I'll place my order for a new CT152 by early this coming week. I have to get a buddy to transfer some funds into my "fun fund" Paypal account. I'll report back as things happen and thanks for the responses and especially the words of encouragement. I wouldn't recommend sharing this with your wife; its a guy thing, besides, that would wreck the fun!

WarrenM

#5069017 - 02/12/12 02:47 PM

JS999R:
Holy cow!! If buying a telescope was this hard for the rest of us, amateur astronomy would never have made it as a hobby. But, as Robo-bob posted earlier, we truely are in the presence of a master! You have redefined the word perserverance. About 8 years ago I tried a similar ruse on my wife. I wanted an 80mm F-5 refractor to replace the finder on my 10" SCT. I knew I couldn't justify the purchase to her since I already had 5 scopes. Her birthday was comming up so I bought the scope for her as a birthday present under the guise of wanting her to come with me to star parties. She actually did come to one star party with the scope. But the mosquitos decided they liked her more than everybody else there. She lost interest and I ended up with the scope. It finally hit her about 3 months later and she accused me of buying the scope for me, not her. I, of course, denied everything. The nice thing about this plan is instead of buying flowers for your wife, you get to buy something really important. Maybe you should buy the CT152 for your wife. It's worth thinking about since you have tried just about everything else. What ever you end up doing I wish you luck!

Warren

stevew
Now I've done it

#5069134 - 02/12/12 03:54 PM

Quote:

Steve:
In my answer to amirab1's post above I go into some detail about the CT152's CA issues on bright stars and Jupiter. If you haven't read it just scroll up to it. As I state above the CA on Jupiter is there but not real bad. Even with the CA, details on Jupiter are still clear and well focused. I made an aperture mask 4 1/2 inches in diameter. The mask converts the scope into a 4 1/2 inch F-8. Using the mask decreases the CA by about 70%. What amazed me was the results I got when I used my Baader Fringe Killer filter and the mask together. The CA was completely elliminated! With this set up I had some of the best views of Jupiter I have ever seen. I saw a shadow transit where the shadow wasn't just a dark spot, but a razor sharp black dot. The great Red Spot, which is kind of tough since it faded, was easy. The moons were tiny discs not fuzzy dots. You might consider trying something like this with your Antares scope. You really have a great looking scope. Its going to be tough trying to justify buying another one similar to it.

Warren

Thanks Warren, I have tried various aperture stops on my Antares, and they do work well. Of course when masking it down to 4 inches it only gives the resolution of a 4 inch scope....
When using it at full aperture on the planets it does not show much blue/violet but does have quite a yellow cast to the planetary image, which I do not like. This is why I have been curious about the CT152 performance.
From the reports I have been reading I am still very tempted to get one. I realize that a short focus achromat is a specialized instrument that is not designed for serious planetary observation, but from what I have read so far the CT152 can do everything quite well.
Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Steve

JS999R

Reged: 12/07/11

Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor [Re: stevew]
      #5070740 - 02/13/12 03:47 PM

Warren, the ploy you came up with is the old tried and true strategy "I'm buying it for you for me". But it wouldn't work on my wife. It would be like buying her a can of wood putty for her birthday. It worked for you and I admire the fact you engineered it in your favor. Thats one mark in the "I have empowerment" column.

Minor glitch on the GSO diagonal purchase, Scope Stuff just notified me of a two week backorder and knowing what I know about backorder estimates, the actual ship date is usually longer than the estimate. So I cancelled the order and will likely pick up an in stock non quartz GSO diagonal from Agena for $100. The quartz model was $30 more so I passed on it. Oh, and Scope Stuff do charge tax so I was wrong on the no tax claim, no problem, the Hubble needs gas money.

A very nice owner of a AT152 saw my post in the wanted ads for either the AT152 or CT152, with preference for the CT152. He has a two owner AT152 that he will sell for $750 including shipping and Paypal fees. I thought about it for a moment but decided to pass on the offer. I felt $100 + tax more for the CT152 was worth it for the 3" focuser and more so the fact if any issues crop up I'll have someone to yell at.

So at this time is my plan to order the diagonal and GSO finder today and order the CT152 in a couple days once I get my buddy to transfer funds to my Paypal account. I should have the order in by Thursday at the latest and barring any transit problems with all three items, I should be doing a first light in a month or so. I say a month because of the new scope syndrome of cloudy skies that preceeds any purchase. But if all goes well the goods should arrive next week. Oh, I almost forgot, I have to pick up the larger saddle from ADM as well.

Joe Ogiba
Postmaster

Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor [Re: stevew]
      #5070793 - 02/13/12 04:30 PM

Quote:

Joe, thanks for the links.
I'd like to get one of these scopes, but I already own a beautiful Antares 152 F-6.5, so I'm having a hard time justifying it.
Still, you never know.......

Steve, I have the Celestron CR150 F8 with the stock 2" R&P focuser so it was not that big a decision on my part to get the CT152 F5.9 since there is a 300mm difference in FL and the 3" CT152 focuser is light years better. I was going to upgrade the focuser on my CR150 but I think I will keep it stock since I now have the CT152 and don't plan on using the CR150 as much now.

Joe

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19435

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics