Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: Joe Ogiba]
      #5073664 - 02/15/12 12:34 PM Attachment (110 downloads)

Can anyone tell me what the two screws in the middle of the image of this focuser on my CT 152 are for? They appear to be set screws. They are not for another finder base are they?
Someone here mentioned that the focuser can accept 2 finders.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JS999R

Reged: 12/07/11

Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: davidpitre]
      #5073921 - 02/15/12 03:09 PM

Well, I tried to order the CT152 through Woodland Hills, but the Paypal function isn't working. They are talking to their webmaster about it. CC payment is out of the question for obvious reasons. Last week they had two instruments in stock, but they have been selling well so mine will be dropped shipped from Canada once the Paypal thing is resolved.

JS999R

#5073928 - 02/15/12 03:14 PM

Quote:

Can anyone tell me what the two screws in the middle of the image of this focuser on my CT 152 are for? They appear to be set screws. They are not for another finder base are they?
Someone here mentioned that the focuser can accept 2 finders.

I believe as well that is what they are for, but a call to CT would confirm it. I had a question on the finder mount location because in the Ed Ting review the AT152's finder was mounted on the tube not the focuser. But another review had it on the focuser. Maybe mounting it on the tube is a personal thing, better clearance and less conflict with the diagonal/eyepiece? It might make a difference on which kind of finder you choose, right angle or straight through.

WarrenM

Reged: 07/27/11

Loc: Clovis, Calif., USA
      #5074028 - 02/15/12 04:04 PM

David:
My CT152 has the same extra set of mounting holes. I assumed they were there so you could choose which side of the focuser you wanted to mount a finder on. The extra holes could also be used to mount a bracket for a laser. I mounted a laser on my scope, but I ended up using a threaded hole on the scopes rear cradle ring. The pictures labled fig.#1 and fig.#3 in my review show the laser mounted.

Warren

JS999R

Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: WarrenM]
      #5075917 - 02/16/12 05:53 PM

Success on placing the order through Woodland Hills. BTW, if you order anything from them and your sales tax in your local area is lower, you can request they use your tax rate instead. That is what I did, actually, it was brought up by the manager while I had questions regarding the Paypal issue and the not so free freight policy. The CT152 is an exception to their freight pre-paid for orders over $150 because the scope comes in from Canada. The freight policy mentions the fact the policy doesn't apply to some products, so its not like they are trying to pull a fast one on you. However, I did ask her why Canada is different than any other country, but I ceased pursuing that line of thought since I didn't want to open a can of worms. It is what it is and I'm grateful she offered the reduced tax assessment and the fact they are the only outlet offering the CT152 for sale here that I know of. That counts for something in my book.

I should have the accessory parts in advance of the telescope since it is now being drop shipped from Canada. Therefore, everything is looking up and I want to thank you Warren for being generous with your answers regarding this wonderful instrument. Needless to say its kind of cool that others are asking the questions for me, I just sit back and enjoy. I do want to get a couple of wide field 2" EPs. In the EP department the highest power I have is a Sterling 6mm and I chose that based on trial and error with my Vixen 102 refractor. I now know the scope can take more power, so I'm guessing in the 3.5 to 4mm range. I'd rather not use a barlow to get there because with my barlow the image comes out dimmer. At that power I need all the brightness I can muster.

I'm looking forward to directing the scope at the Trapezium in Orion. Thats because I was able to split two of the double stars with my Vixen on a good seeing night, but they were barely discernible, I mean barely. Not bad for a 102 achromat I must say. I think Warren mentioned in his review he saw all of the stars in the Trapezium. Splitting stars has been a fun activity since I picked up the book "Turn Left At Orion" If you can't bring in deep sky objects go after double stars, loads of challenges there. The book cites a multitude of examples and I also like the fact the authors provide sketches of the target area. Unlike photos, these are realistic and proportionate renderings you can relate to.

Uh Oh, I'm venturing into the bla bla bla territory. I'll report up once the goods arrive.

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: Joe Ogiba]
      #5141258 - 03/25/12 09:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Joe, thanks for the links.
I'd like to get one of these scopes, but I already own a beautiful Antares 152 F-6.5, so I'm having a hard time justifying it.
Still, you never know.......

Steve, I have the Celestron CR150 F8 with the stock 2" R&P focuser so it was not that big a decision on my part to get the CT152 F5.9 since there is a 300mm difference in FL and the 3" CT152 focuser is light years better. I was going to upgrade the focuser on my CR150 but I think I will keep it stock since I now have the CT152 and don't plan on using the CR150 as much now.

Joe

Joe, How does the CT152 compare to your CR150?
More color? Less color? Which one has the better planetary images?

Steve

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: stevew]
      #5146040 - 03/28/12 08:03 PM

So I asked CT about the strange screw arrangement on the focuser, Here was the response.

"I took the finder assembly off a telescope and could see that the first set of screws (Set Screws) where not doing anything while the other set I could not see what there purpose actually was. I would say that they were there so that you could mount the finder on either side of the telescope. To be honest, I can't really see why there would be a set screw and a regular head screw."
Perhaps there is some reason to it, but no one in the Western world seems to know.

Joe Ogiba
Postmaster

Reged: 02/14/02

Loc: NJ USA
Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: stevew]
      #5150767 - 03/31/12 08:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Joe, thanks for the links.
I'd like to get one of these scopes, but I already own a beautiful Antares 152 F-6.5, so I'm having a hard time justifying it.
Still, you never know.......

Steve, I have the Celestron CR150 F8 with the stock 2" R&P focuser so it was not that big a decision on my part to get the CT152 F5.9 since there is a 300mm difference in FL and the 3" CT152 focuser is light years better. I was going to upgrade the focuser on my CR150 but I think I will keep it stock since I now have the CT152 and don't plan on using the CR150 as much now.

Joe

Joe, How does the CT152 compare to your CR150?
More color? Less color? Which one has the better planetary images?

Steve

Hi Steve,

From the limited time I spent viewing through my CT152 it looks to have less color than my 120ST F5 but more than my CR150 F8 like others have found it to be. I plan on doing more comparisons in the coming week.

I am not stuck in a position of depending on one scope for all astro targets since I could use my ED refractors , SCTs , Dob or Mak for planetary and the CT152 or 120ST for wide field work.

The CT152 build quality is the best I have seen on a large achromatic refractor OTA under $1k and I love that 3" focuser.

Joe

AllanF
journeyman

Reged: 11/23/11

Loc: Green Bay, WI USA
Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: seeindoubles]
      #5222429 - 05/14/12 05:58 PM

Warren,
One more question - have you (or anyone) found a good carrying case for the CT152 / AT152? I checked with JMI/Jim's Mobile and Canadian Telescopes and neither has a case that they feel really fits the CT-152.

Thanks again for your great advice.

Al

WarrenM

Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: AllanF]
      #5222600 - 05/14/12 07:47 PM

Hi Al:
I've been trying to solve the problem of finding a case for the CT152 myself. Even though I haven't bought one yet I think I have found the answer. Stellarvue.com shows a soft case, item #C130S, for $199. The size of the case looks just right for a CT152. (outside measurement = 33" x 11" x 10" -- inside measurement = 30" x 8" x 7.5") The picture shows two foam partitions in the case, but I believe they can be either removed or moved. To see the case go to their web site, click on accessories and then select cases from the drop down menu. I bought a stellarvue soft case for my 4" C102 about two years ago. That case was very good quality and has worked out well for me. In my searches this is the only case I can find that seems right for a CT152. I hope this helps you out.

Warren

AllanF
journeyman

Reged: 11/23/11

Loc: Green Bay, WI USA
      #5248247 - 05/31/12 12:08 AM Attachment (92 downloads)

Warren,

Thank you for another great tip - the CT152 fits perfectly in the Stellarvue Soft Case #130S if you remove the partitions - an easy matter since they are attached by Velcro. I had to take the compression ring off the end of the Crayford Focuser and wrapped a plastic bag around that end which will work fine for now but will try to find a threaded cap as a permanent solution to keep dust out of the optical tube. Attached is a photo showing the optical tube in the Stellarvue soft case. The case appears quite well constructed, well padded and sturdy enough to protect the scope from reasonably gentle and expected bumps and so forth when moving the scope in and out of your car and home, etc.

Thanks again!

Al

WarrenM

Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: AllanF]
      #5249945 - 06/01/12 02:46 AM

Al:
Thanks for the info and the photo of the CT152 in the Stellarvue case. I'm still using the original shipping box to transport the scope to observing sites. Your photo has convinced me I've got to get this case. Thanks again for your post.

Warren

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
      #5284029 - 06/22/12 03:10 PM

Well, after a lot of thought and reading this thread and similar threads on the refractor forum , I ordered my CT152 form Woodland Hills last week. Still anxiously awaiting the new baby's arrival. I actually owned an AR127 for a while and I loved it! I sold it to concentrate on imaging, but immediately missed the views and really wanted to have a big achro back for visual deep sky. So I upped the ante a bit to the CT152! This will be my dark sky star party scope. It's time I get back to observing the sky instead of staring at my laptop as CCD images are downloaded.

John

WarrenM

Re: Canadian Telescopes 152 F-5.9 Acromatic Refractor new [Re: John Miele]
      #5284695 - 06/23/12 12:49 AM

John:
I just read your post on purchasing a CT152. I've had mine for a little over one year now. I can tell you that after four decades in this hobby and many telescope purchases, the CT152 is by far the the best telescope value for the money I have ever come across. Even though I love my Meade 10" SCT, the CT152 has become my main dark sky star party scope. The razor sharp views and tiny pin point star images will blow you away! The wide field views with a 35mm or 40mm ultra wide eyepiece are stunning! But don't let me spoil your anticipation, because your about to find this out for yourself. Congrats on your purchase.

Warren

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

#5298504 - 07/01/12 08:46 PM

HELP!!! HELP!!! ---- I need help bigtime from the CT152 owners in this thread. I received my scope last week and noticed a very unusual star test. Outside of focus, the rings are round and centered (which is good). There is a blue central spot in the pattern but there is also a bright red spot that shows up. The blue dot is in the center, the red dot is offset about half way to the outer ring and moves more outward as you go more out of focus. When I go back to focus, the dots and rings all seem to converge to a well focused star. This is bizarre to me. Yet the star images seem to be pretty good. I want to ask a big favor, can any other owners perform a star test at medium to high power on a sort of bright star, slowly rack outside of focus and tell me if you also see this red dot appear? I have to know if this is just something unique to the lens design, or do I have some type of problem with my lens cell. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks so much in advance ...Best Regards...John

WarrenM

#5298645 - 07/01/12 10:29 PM

John:
I read your post above with interest. I have not noticed the red spot your seeing in star tests on my scope. Though, I have to admit, I have never done a star test with a high power eyepiece. When viewing stars or star clusters I'm normally using 64x or lower. The images inside and outside of focus look perfect to me at these powers and there is no sign of a red spot like your seeing. Tonight I'm going to set up my scope and do star tests using medium to high power eyepieces to see if I can duplicate what your seeing. I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow.

Warren

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

#5298683 - 07/01/12 10:53 PM

Thanks Warren. You might need to use 200X to see it. I was using 225X. I missed it myself the first time I did a star test. But when I read about the other owner seeing it, I repeated my test and sure enough it was there. It take steady air and high power but it was there. If you see it it's only on one side of the focus...John

WarrenM

#5299318 - 07/02/12 03:45 PM

John:
Last night I set up my CT152 and did star tests for about two hours along with my 23 year old son (he's into amateur astronomy also). I used 3 stars for the tests. Polaris, Alkaid (in the Big Dipper's handle) and the bright star Arcturus. I used 3 eyepieces and a 1.6 power barlow to do the testing. They gave powers of 164, 191, 257, and 306. In all cases the out of focus star images showed a blue dot in the center surrounded by feint concentric rings. This was both inside and outside of focus. The images look textbook perfect to me. My son and I looked carefully for any sign of a red spot, but we never saw one. I'm wondering, did you see the red spot in more than one eyepiece? If not, you may be seeing a strange enternal reflection caused by the eyepiece/telescope combination. If more than one eyepiece shows the red spot then I think you have to assume that at least one of the two doublet primary lenses is out of collimation. Sense the crown (the front lense) and the flint (the rear lense) are separately adjustable on this scope the process for collimating them is somewhat of a mystery to me. My scope did not come with an owners manual. I'm assuming you didn't get one either. If you decide you need to collimate the scope, I think you would have to use the adjusting screws to move the red spot to the center of the star test image without moving the blue spot. Unless someone out there who knows how to do it sends us a post you would have to use trial and error. Wow, that sounds scary just saying it! I wish I could be of more help. If you have any other questions let me know.

Warren

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

#5299379 - 07/02/12 04:14 PM

Thank you very much Warren . I'll check using some different EP's as you suggested but it sounds like there is most likely an alignment issue. What is amazing is that the star images still look good. I was able to split a 1 arc-sec double with the scope. I can't wait to see how even more amazing this scope will perform after I get the collimation really dialed in!...John

Refractor6
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/04

Loc: Vancouver B.C. , Canada
      #5299456 - 07/02/12 04:56 PM

Quote:

Thank you very much Warren . I'll check using some different EP's as you suggested but it sounds like there is most likely an alignment issue. What is amazing is that the star images still look good. I was able to split a 1 arc-sec double with the scope. I can't wait to see how even more amazing this scope will perform after I get the collimation really dialed in!...John

Did you check the focuser alignment yet John? A sight tube is best over a cheshire collimation tool for that one from my experience to see if the focusers alignment is a bit off. If the outer cell tube or perhaps a baffle seen around the optics aren't perfectly centered {the amount of black stuff you can see around the circular glass seen through the small hole of the pinhole sight tube} then your focuser is off for sure. The cheshire is good at showing you what's going on with the alignment of the optics at the other end.

Good to have both to check out the whole optical train. Start with the site tube in the back....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20242

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics