Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
cheapersleeper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
Re: Review of AT Paradigm 8mm and Pentax XF 8.5 mm new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5442781 - 09/27/12 01:03 AM

My 5mm Paradigm remains in my EP case despite my having bought three different eyepieces that I thought might supplant it. Of those three, two were "less glass," and they are all now gone while the Paradigm remains.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/06

#5442866 - 09/27/12 02:25 AM

Quote:

... I'm happy to hear that the Paradigm 8 compared well against the XW 7. Another reason for me to put off buying more XW's...

...I also intend to compare my Paradigm 12mm pair with my Brandon 12mm pair. I don't really want to sell either of these pairs, but if one gives me a better image ... who knows?...

Mike

Well hold on now, Mike, let's not get carried away! Far be it from me to keep you from buying the 7XW. And I'm afraid some will see the Brandon comment as possibly sacrilegious...

Enjoying the comments about binoviewing...if I had two good eyes, I would definitely use these guys for inexpensive pairs. I used to use a 2x TV barlow as an OCA with my (no longer owned) WO binoviewer; with that rig, even the 18s would be just fine: I found at f/10 that they no longer showed much curvature.

Quote:

My 5mm Paradigm remains in my EP case despite my having bought three different eyepieces that I thought might supplant it. Of those three, two were "less glass," and they are all now gone while the Paradigm remains.

Cheapersleeper--so what, may I ask, were the ones you sold?

---------------------

These eyepieces still await a really critical test, as far as I'm concerned, on planets and Moon, versus the XWs and possibly my Tak LE (unless I sell it). But I'm already convinced I'm not going to see any serious difference on axis except possibly at high power in really good seeing. (And I'm quite happy with them off-axis, as I've indicated already.)

I was out this evening looking at the floor of Gassendi in my 10-inch with paracorr, switching between 5 XW, 5 LE, 5 Paradigm, and 12 Paradigm + 2x TV barlow + extension (for an effective 5mm), so up around 300X. Seeing, unfortunately, kept coming and going, but occasionally, for a few seconds at a time, was pretty good. Looking at a very fine rille south of the central peaks that flicked in and out of view, I had the impression that just possibly it had better definition in the XW. But I can't say for sure. Again, it will take a night of really steady air. So, in the meantime, I have to reiterate that I don't feel I'm missing much of anything when I'm out with these little guys.

--geo

cheapersleeper
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Review of AT Paradigm 8mm and Pentax XF 8.5 mm new [Re: george golitzin]
      #5442990 - 09/27/12 06:45 AM

geo,

I had, all at the same time the 5mm Paradigm, a 5mm LER, a 5mm UO Volcano top ortho and a 6mm Sterling plossl. During moments of best seeing, mostly on Jupiter, the planet would go from belts to "textured" using both the Paradigm and the Volcano Top Ortho. The others did not give that effect. It was as if there was a load of tiny fine and subtle detail. As time went on, I kept on using the Paradigm and the Ortho and then finally decided that they were about equal but the Paradigm was comfortable. So all the others were sold.

B

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Review of AT Paradigm 8mm and Pentax XF 8.5 mm new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5443082 - 09/27/12 08:29 AM

B,

I like the UO VTs for their ability to show fine surface detail with high perceived contrast and good color rendition. I like the BGO's for the same reasons, but even more so.

I have 6mm and 18mm pairs of the LERs for binoviewing. The 6mm's binoviewed gave me a surprisingly good view of Mars last Spring. The 18mm pair are decent for binoviewing the Moon; they seem to have a cool-to-neutral tone. I think they are better eyepieces than the TMB Planetaries, but probably not as good as the UO VTs. The 18mm's did surprise me, though, for lunar.

I have a 6mm Sterling - the Owl version - that I bought after reading many posts praising it. After viewing through it, I had a hard time understanding why it deserved such praise. I ought to sell it. [Correction: My eyepiece was actually an Owl Enhanced Super Wide 6mm, not a Sterling 6mm. IMO, they should both be avoided, but for different reasons. - Mike]

It is interesting, though, that you ranked the Paradigm 5 and UO VT 5 about the same, except for the Paradigm being more comfortable. That is saying something.

Mike

cheapersleeper
Carpal Tunnel

#5443109 - 09/27/12 08:49 AM

Mike,

I don't actually claim to be right. Just reporting my impressions. It is entirely possible that neither myself or my scopes are up to the task of discerning very fine differences in detail.

B

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

#5443136 - 09/27/12 09:10 AM

If I recall correctly, BillP said that he liked the Sterlings down to 12.5mm. Shorter than that, not so much. I once tried a pair of 25mm Sterlings, but they required so much infocus that I couldn't use them with my Starmaster. The Paradigms were never a problem.

I am really resisting the urge to buy a pair of 8mm Paradigms right now, but it's getting harder. Dang it, I had just ordered a pair of 9mm Agena Enhanced Wide Angles (Expanse clones) that should be here shortly. Wish that I had read this review sooner.

EXT64
sage

Reged: 12/15/07

Loc: Virginia Tech, VA, USA
      #5443147 - 09/27/12 09:19 AM

George, what were the manufacturing flaws on the 18mm? I just got that eyepiece too and just wanted to double check mine didn't have the flaws. I'm at F/10, so hopefully the curvature won't be a huge issue (haven't gotten to try it at night yet).

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5443179 - 09/27/12 09:45 AM

Quote:

I don't actually claim to be right. Just reporting my impressions. It is entirely possible that neither myself or my scopes are up to the task of discerning very fine differences in detail.

B

Well, you are right to present your honest observations. That's all any of us can do. Now, whether you are correct or not, that's another matter.

But seriously, I try to build up an idea in my mind of the performance of various eyepieces before I even think about buying them to try them out for myself. I consider field reports from experienced observers some of the best data we have.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Review of AT Paradigm 8mm and Pentax XF 8.5 mm new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5443204 - 09/27/12 10:04 AM

Doug,

Quote:

If I recall correctly, BillP said that he liked the Sterlings down to 12.5mm. Shorter than that, not so much. I once tried a pair of 25mm Sterlings, but they required so much infocus that I couldn't use them with my Starmaster. The Paradigms were never a problem.

I think you're correct about that. I believe I was confusing the Sterlings with the Enhanced Wide Angles and their clones, which you mention next in your post. Yes, BillP has said to avoid the shorter focal length Sterlings, which, since they are Plossls, is a good general rule of thumb. (I made an exception for the TV Plossl Smoothside 7.4mm's!) The only Sterling I have is the 25mm, a decent Plossl with a wider field than the TV Plossl 25.

Quote:

I am really resisting the urge to buy a pair of 8mm Paradigms right now, but it's getting harder. Dang it, I had just ordered a pair of 9mm Agena Enhanced Wide Angles (Expanse clones) that should be here shortly. Wish that I had read this review sooner.

Yes, I was thinking about the EWAs and their many clones. I have a pair of the SkyWatcher UWA 9mm, one of the clones, which I bought really cheap a couple years ago. They are great for DSO, but since I don't binoview DSO anymore, I only have one in my equipment case now. IMO, a pair of BGO 9mm was much better for planet/lunar.

Maybe keep the EWA 9's for DSO, and get a pair of Paradigm 8mm for the planets/Moon? Or just keep one of the EWA 9's and sell the other, which is what I should do. But, in any case, try the EWA 9's out for yourself, to see what you think.

The 6mm eyepiece I mentioned was actually an Owl Enhanced Super Wide, a clone of the EWAs. Not too good, IME. Like I said, it was highly praised, though undeservedly, IMO.

Mike

george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

#5444194 - 09/27/12 08:50 PM

Quote:

It is interesting, though, that you ranked the Paradigm 5 and UO VT 5 about the same, except for the Paradigm being more comfortable. That is saying something.

Mike

I agree--if this eyepiece is really performing at the level of a good ortho (and I bet it's a near thing), then the additional eye relief and field width are a real plus.

george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Review of AT Paradigm 8mm and Pentax XF 8.5 mm new [Re: EXT64]
      #5444202 - 09/27/12 08:54 PM

Quote:

George, what were the manufacturing flaws on the 18mm? I just got that eyepiece too and just wanted to double check mine didn't have the flaws. I'm at F/10, so hopefully the curvature won't be a huge issue (haven't gotten to try it at night yet).

Todd--

First, I think you'll be fine at f/10.

There were two flaws--the first was no biggie, just some small burrs on the bottom of the barrel--if that had been all, I would not have returned the eyepiece. But the other was what appeared to be some gunk on the inside of the eye lens. This meant I could not in good conscience sell the eyepiece, so I asked astronomics for a return, which they graciously agreed to do.

Edited by george golitzin (09/27/12 08:57 PM)

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
Re: Review of AT Paradigm 8mm and Pentax XF 8.5 mm new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5510236 - 11/08/12 04:43 PM

I purchased an 8.5 XF a few years ago and have been pretty happy with it. I am really surprised that a $60 eyepiece would have out-performed it.

Wondering now if I should sell my XF?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3184

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics