Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
kcgolden
sage

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Review of Nova Hitch Mount new [Re: nicklane1]
      #5928984 - 06/19/13 10:57 AM

Quote:

What a beautiful mount!
I know it is hand made and all (like Porsche 911s and Aston Martins) and that its market is for grab n go. But, with a Nova Tripod, it costs more than a Losmandy G11 with gemini and tripod.

I've been in this hobby for about 15 years now. When I started, I wanted the biggest aperture and the best EQ mount. I wanted to image every time I brought out my scope. Several years and tens of thousands of dollars later, my favorite scope is a 110mm refractor and my nova setup and maybe two good eyepieces.

I don't need to get into the journey it took to get me here nor am I saying that everyone will arrive at the same point as me. But I will say this, the G11 would fulfill a completely different need than something like the Nova.

When I'm imaging, sure, I want the biggest and best EQ mount... and for the most part, I have everything I need in that arena. But I'm not going to take my EQ mount to a one night star party - half my night would be setup and break down. And sure, if I went to that trouble, I would have a pretty stable setup to use for the remaining 50% of my time.

EQ mounts like the G11 are great for imaging but when you're talking just visual use, it's overkill. So, I would say that comparing any EQ mount to a truly "grab and go" setup is really apples to oranges, even when it comes to price.

As far as grab and go mounts are concerned however, I do believe your sports car analogy is correct. The Nova is very much on the higher end in terms of performance and quality. There are mounts in the "visual only" arena that would barely qualify as mopeds and then there is the other end with highest quality, most attention to detail, ect, ect. But I'm not really in to cars. I drive a Honda Civic, actually. When I have money to spend, I buy astronomy gear and though my preferences in terms of what type of gear has changed, I still want the best I can buy - so just as anyone who is really into cars would love to be behind the wheel of a porshe, lotus, ect, I'm very satisfied with a high end visual mount as opposed to one of the more mass produced ones, some of which actually cost more.

So I'd say in response to your comparison about the G11 vs the Nova, that you're probably making a somewhat valid point if your goal is to own one mount and you're interested in both imaging and visual astronomy. In that case, sure - get the G11 or spring for an AP or Paramount. But if you can own a mount for imaging and a separate mount for visual - or you don't care for imaging at all, you do have a few high quality "visual only" mounts to choose from and the Nova is certainly one of them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Quintessence
Vendor

Reged: 06/03/07

Loc: Austin, Texas
Re: Review of Nova Hitch Mount new [Re: nicklane1]
      #5929028 - 06/19/13 11:18 AM

In way of clarification, the Nova Tripod is NOT required for use of the Nova Hitch. The Nova is designed to work with ANY tripod having a standard 3/8-16 screw or stud. Tripods from Berlebach are very popular with my customers. Others use tripods from AP/Baader; Tele Vue; Davis & Sanford; Losmandy; and many other sources. Some even use converted surveyor tripods.

Charles

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3321

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics