Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
GShaffer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/28/09

Loc: Bogart, Ga USA
Re: 8" f/15 refractor project new [Re: rwiederrich]
      #4313591 - 01/14/11 08:18 AM

Very nice to have the input of those who came before me Thanks guys!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Robert Bupp

Reged: 04/11/11

Re: 8" f/15 refractor project new [Re: Mike I. Jones]
      #4512899 - 04/12/11 08:46 AM

Mike,
I can continue the Muffoletto Optical Company story a bit. Your description so far is quite accurate, and leaves the lingering question about what happened to its people and equipment. Subsequent to the falling apart as you described, a group of (N)ine (U)nemployed (Tek)nicians regrouped formally as Nu-Tek Precision Optical Corporation, first in a basement, then in a warehouse facility, and finally in a manufacturing facility in Aberdeen MD where it (we) have been operating since 1998. Nu-Tek was born in a hostile environment, with a daunting (baseless, and ultimately dismissed) lawsuit hanging over it in its early years. There was no cooperation with at all with equipment, so the opticians were starting from scratch, with only their abilities. Not exactly a seamless transition.

The group of nine worked for several years as Nu-Tek, and over half are still working here now. With about 16 employees in manufacturing, the talent, techniques, and experiences are being passed down already through two generations from the original group.

As for the equipment, we understand that it was unceremoniously set out in the parking lot in the end, and the Nu-Tek group had no knowledge and no opportunity to purchase or acquire any of it.

We regularly work with university and government labs, as our emphasis continues to be very high quality, prototyping and low rates on optical components and subassemblies, including diamond turning and massive (up to 1.5m) optics.

If someone is looking to connect with one of the old Muffoletto guys that they used to know, there is enough information above to find Nu-Tek on the web, and somebody here would be happy to fill in what we know.
Kind Regards,
Robert Bupp

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: 8" f/15 refractor project new [Re: Robert Bupp]
      #4512961 - 04/12/11 09:31 AM

Hello Robert,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

I was wondering if your company does small diamond generation projects, such a generating a rough curve on 16" pyrex mirror blank? (Which I happen to have sitting in my basement not too far away from Aberdeen).

JimC

Jim Curry
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
Re: 8" f/15 refractor project new [Re: GShaffer]
      #4514941 - 04/13/11 08:01 AM

So Herb, where's the pics?

Jim

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: 8" f/15 refractor project new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #4515172 - 04/13/11 10:28 AM

Come to think of it I haven't seen any pics yet either!!

GShaffer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/28/09

Loc: Bogart, Ga USA
Re: 8" f/15 refractor project new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #4515178 - 04/13/11 10:30 AM

Sadly due to some health issues the project has been on hold for a while now. Things are getting better though and I am back to about 90%.....Will likely start back to work on it in a month or two....

Quote:

So Herb, where's the pics?

Jim

Jim Curry
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
Re: 8" f/15 refractor project new [Re: GShaffer]
      #4515774 - 04/13/11 02:59 PM

I'm sorry to have harassed you.
Get well soon!!

Regards,
Jim

JohnBuilt

Reged: 01/10/13

Re: 8" f/15 refractor project new [Re: Robert Bupp]
      #5615255 - 01/10/13 11:02 AM

I too wonder about the old Muffoletto Optical shop. I worked there from 1978 - about 1982 I believe, on Everall Ave. There were a great group of guys, lets see if I can recall ~ Big Mike & Little Mike, Chuck the engineer, Bob, Frank the crazy grinder operator, Bill the mad machinist, Pat, Emil, John, Pete, Ron Athey, And the Coating Room Guy. I personally trained in grinding and polishing, and was working with Verne, and Chuck, training in the coating operation. I was sent to Denton for a class, after that it seemed a bit strained between Carl Jr = Vern's son, and myself, I think he wanted the coating room position, but never pursued it until I got involved. So I moved on. But yes, a tremendous group of talent, concentrated in such a small area.

Edited by JohnBuilt (01/10/13 11:07 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6137

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics