Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/26/06

Loc: Riverview, FL, USA
Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: dawsonian2000]
      #5228806 - 05/18/12 07:36 PM Attachment (70 downloads)

Left to Right: Here is a photo of the Crayford Focuser Support Collimation Ring, Focuser Backplate, Len Cell Support Transition Ring, Lens Retainer Ring, and Objective/ Lens Cell. I have completed flocking the parts with flat black spray enamel to specific internal light path surfaces. Once the flat black paint has cured and out-gassed completely, I will remove the tape from the areas I did not want flocked. Tape will then be added to the flocked areas to protect them, and to sections I do not want any paint on. Next, hammered finish paint will be applied to the areas with not tape.

Mel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DougMcK
journeyman

Reged: 05/17/12

#5228914 - 05/18/12 09:09 PM

Hmm, I think I'm leaning towards making a folded f/15. If I'm going to the trouble of building something a bit unusual, why not make it "epic"?

What's the best way to source parts for a cell, do you think?

regards
Doug

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: DougMcK]
      #5229564 - 05/19/12 11:54 AM

Good decision, Doug! As for the cell, it depends on your preference. The original Jaegers cell for their 6" objectives were not adjustable. But, if you want a collimation cell, perhaps commercial providers like D&G can assist. Another possibility would be Crawford Machining. As you may know already, I had my cell custom made by Eric Moerman from my own design. He lives in Belgium. I will touch base with Eric to see if he is interested in making more of these cells, and for pricing. Additional, their are quite a few machinist on CN that may be of help also.

Mel

martym

Reged: 02/15/10

#5231166 - 05/20/12 04:01 PM

Hello Doug,

I folded my 6-15 and I did'nt have complications; I am very satisfied with the image. I got the 4 inch flat from Nova Optical, as I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread.

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5231193 - 05/20/12 04:21 PM Attachment (47 downloads)

Left to Right: The collimation Crayford Focuser Support Ring, Focuser Backplate and collimation Lens Cell Transition Support Ring with their coats of Rustoleum Hammered Finish paint as they dry out on my patio. They will sit out there until sunset. Then, I will move them to my garage to out-gas for as long as it takes for them to fully cure. The tape will be remove in a couple of days.
It takes quite a while for this type of paint to harden. But once it does, it will form a thick textured hard coating.

My next task will be to determine the exact focal length of the objective. Once this has been established, the Ray Trace diagram will be laid out.

Mel

DougMcK
journeyman

#5231452 - 05/20/12 08:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. The Nova flat was likely what I would use.

Mel, I would be interested to know if your contact, Eric, in Belgium would be willing to make another cell, and for how much.
Are you happy with yours? What was his delivery time, roughly.

rgds,
Doug

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5231509 - 05/20/12 09:00 PM

Doug,

I sent Eric a message and I am waiting on his reply. The last time I touch base with him he was on vacation.

Eric fabricated all of the cell components from designs I sent him. I can not be more happier. The pieces were machined to perfection. I was a bit apprehensive about how the retainer ring lens cell was going to fit, but Eric assured me it would. I could not believe how precise he machined these parts! The work was done so well that I was considering having the parts anodized, but my budget restricted me from doing so. It truly pained me to paint them as I did.

As for the amount of time it took, I had Eric take his time because I was not in a hurry to get the pieces. So this is a question he would have to answer.

Well, I hope he will contact me ASAP. I also sent him the link to this thread, so I hope he will respond soon.

Mel

DougMcK
journeyman

#5234071 - 05/22/12 01:36 PM

Looks like I'm now going the f/10 route! It seems that SS sold out of the f/15 seconds.
The f/10 is on order so I'm committed to the project now!
Doug

martym

#5234184 - 05/22/12 02:50 PM

Doug, I think you'll be happy with the f/10 as long as you don't push the magnification. I have a Burgess 5" f/8 which is going to approximate the CA of your 6-10 and the image is just fine down to an exit pupil of 1mm. I mostly use it with a 2.7mm exit pupil and I see no CA at all with medium mags; and there's plenty of light in the image.

marty

DougMcK
journeyman

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: martym]
      #5235046 - 05/23/12 12:46 AM

Marty, thanks for the feedback. I've mostly used reflectors of various configurations, and so I'm curious to see how I find working with a bit of CA.
doug

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5238936 - 05/25/12 12:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback guys. The Nova flat was likely what I would use.

Mel, I would be interested to know if your contact, Eric, in Belgium would be willing to make another cell, and for how much.
Are you happy with yours? What was his delivery time, roughly.

rgds,
Doug

Hi Doug,

Here is what I received from Eric Moerman regarding his pricing to to make the same components he fabricated for me. This price would be for both the complete adjust lens cell and adjustable focuser backplate. I will PM his email address to you so you can discuss further. Perhaps, you just may want the adjustable lens cell made, which would reduce your overall price. I would also be happy to help in anyway I can with your design, etc.

Quote:

Normaly when somebody is asking me to make some parts i always do it this way;
Im asking the price for the material i need to pay at my work and then i aske 15 euro/hour,thats 19.15$/hour.
I always give a idee how long it will take to make some parts so people know around how much it will cost.
I have worked around 19 h total on your parts .
If he wants something the same as your parts it will be 200$ material+ (19$*19h=361$) =561$
I think with shipping and everything you can count 1 to 1.5 mont to make them.

Mel

DougMcK
journeyman

#5240372 - 05/26/12 09:28 AM

Hi Mel,
Do you have any drawings or sketches of the cell design in a form that are available to post or email? I'd like to understand what it involves.
My first inclination is to think that's a bit painfully expensive (though one-off stuff isn't ever cheap I suppose)...
regards
Doug

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5241464 - 05/26/12 10:50 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

Hi Doug,

Yes, I have the designs for my cell that I sent to Eric. In bitmap format, they are quite large in size. But, I have also saved them in JPEG format, which is smaller in size, yet the detail is still preserved. I am posting the designs, but I can also email them in better quality.

The first diagram is of the Lens Cell...

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5241466 - 05/26/12 10:52 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

The next design is of the the Rear Lens Cell/ Transition Ring...

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5241467 - 05/26/12 10:53 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

Next is the Focuser Backplate design diagram...

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5241481 - 05/26/12 11:07 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

Oops! I nearly forgot! Here is a design rendering showing a closed and cross-section look at the lens cell and transition ring components.

Again... I can email you the original large size design diagrams if you like. If you decide to use these designs, please revise the measurements according to your build parameters.

Mel

martym

#5243412 - 05/28/12 09:00 AM

Pretty nice drawings, Mel.
I don't take so much time with my plans, I just draw them out on paper full scale, using a roll of 30" wide kraft paper from Home Depot used for laying on the floor for construction or painting. I just tape it down on the shop desk and draw the thing out the lazy way.
By the time I took to learn AutoCad I could probally have the project built. I know engineering students take several classes in college to use AutoCad to it's potential.

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) [Re: martym]
      #5246413 - 05/29/12 09:27 PM

Thanks Marty! The drawings (made using MS Paint) were created for Eric to fab my lens cell and focuser mounting components. But, I am also going to make a ray trace diagram (to scale) to aid me in bringing all the components together, as I have done with my other refractor projects. Now that I have determined that the focal length of the objective is exact 60" from its rear surface, it will be a cinch to establish the overall main tube length and layout of the four baffles.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) [Re: dawsonian2000]
      #5248184 - 05/30/12 11:11 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

The focuser holder ring, focuser backplate, and lens cell support/ transition ring completed after being spray painted with Rustoleum black hammer finished paint. NOW... with components complete, I can move on to producing the race trace.

Note: The lens cell is not in this photo, but it has already been painted solely using flat black enamel spray paint.

Mel

martym

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) [Re: dawsonian2000]
      #5248529 - 05/31/12 09:11 AM

Looks good Mel. You mentioned letting the paint outgass before further construction, and I have done that myself with painted OTA parts. A good way to hurry it up I found was placing the parts in the attic for a few days and just letting them bake up there. When I take them out after 5 or so days all the smell is gone.

marty

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 27178

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics