Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Jaegers objective
      #4679955 - 07/07/11 09:37 PM

Hi folks,
I'm lately able to pick up a Jaegers 6" f/10 objective for a bit over $400, but it's uncoated, and is just glass - no cell. There's a 6" cell on the classifieds for $60.....

Otherwise, my 'affordable' choice is an Istar, a bit more $$, but coated, and in a cell.

What do y'all think??

Russ

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: roscoe]
      #4680024 - 07/07/11 10:12 PM

I think they are both good choices, you can't go wrong. Having coatings is nice but not a deal breaker if the glass is in good condition. If you can haggle the price for the Jaegers down a little bit then I would go that way other wise the choice is 50/50.

One other thing, the Istar cell has a collimation flange built in. A Jaegers cell does not, that may be an issue depnding on the design of your ota.

Andy

Edited by plyscope (07/07/11 10:15 PM)

Mike I. Jones
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/02/06

Loc: Fort Worth TX
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: plyscope]
      #4680240 - 07/08/11 12:13 AM

And, you don't know what the thickness of the airspace ring between the crown and flint should be, and it does matter. It could be anything from 0.002" to 0.25" or more. Anyone else have the same Jaegers lens they'd be willing to disassemble and measure the airspacer thickness for Russ? Otherwise, it's gonna be trial and error with different spacings.

Then there's the OD/ID compatibility with the loose lens elements and the $60 cell. If it is bored too small they won't fit and the cell would have to be bored out larger. If the lenses do fit in it, they'll still have to be edge-shimmed to keep them centered in the bore to within 0.002", preferably less.

Given all these unknowns, I think the IStar lens is the lower risk way to go. But if you're a real experimentalist, get the Jaegers and keep us posted on your progress!
Mike

Jim Curry
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Mike I. Jones]
      #4680483 - 07/08/11 06:32 AM

Hey Russ:
The incremental cost between a new,coated lens in a proper fitting cell and the Jaegers isn't much. If you're going to put time and $ into the new OTA you might as well build it around a known quantity.

Jim

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #4681573 - 07/08/11 05:22 PM

Well, gents, after sleeping on it, I came to the same conclusion as you..... I have a fond memory of a Jaegers 6" scope, as one was the first real scope I ever looked through, the scope that turned me from casual to serious, but the spacing issue, and the cell issue - shimming's easy, but turning it out, especially if the keeper ring threads get involved - could be a nightmare.
Istar objectives are not entirely without issues, but they seem more than willing to rectify problems, should they occur. With the Jaegers, I open the box, and hope for the best.
thanks,
Russ

Don Allen
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/07/05

Loc: Charleston, SC
      #4683932 - 07/09/11 09:58 PM

Good choice.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/26/06

Loc: Riverview, FL, USA
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Don Allen]
      #4685119 - 07/10/11 02:03 PM

Got one of the 6" f/10's too from Surplus Shed for $425.00 ($430.00 including shipping)! They even have the f/15's! Like most of my other telescope projects, I will be hosting its construction here on CN and on my website at The Vega Sky Center ... It will be dedicated to and named after my dearly departed wife, Gelinda.

I have a strong feeling that the lens elements are coated. Jaegers' old catalog ad list these objective as being coated. None were listed as uncoated. I believe there is a very fine coating on the lens elements, much like those on my 85mm/1333mm Jaegers objective, which was also listed as being uncoated prior to me purchasing it. Once I receive my 6" f/10 achromat, I will confirm if it has a coating and report back.

Mel

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: dawsonian2000]
      #4685432 - 07/10/11 04:42 PM

I tend to favor the classics. If you are still cogitating about the jaegers and want to know about spacers (and if jaegers used a standard thickness for all their lenses), I have one and would be willing to take it out of the cell and measure the spacer for you.

Tim

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: tim53]
      #4685474 - 07/10/11 05:01 PM

Hi Tim,

If you have the 6" f/10 Jaegers, I am sure everyone concerned would be happy to know that information. But, please do not take any unforeseen chances with your fine instrument.

Mel

tim53
Postmaster

#4685483 - 07/10/11 05:09 PM

I do have a 6" f/10 in an original Jaegers cell. But now that I think about it, the 6" f/15 only had 3 foil spacers separating the elements. That was in a custom cell. I also have a 6" f/5 Jaegers in a Jaegers cell. I've never had it apart, but it would be easy enough to look at it and the f/10 to see if they've got foil spacers as well.

And there are other CNers with Jaegers scopes. Maybe one of them (like Clint Whitman?) knows more about spacers here than I do.

-Tim.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4685552 - 07/10/11 05:50 PM

Good point, Tim! Clint (Caveman) may be a good resource. I will await your findings once you provide them on the 6" f/10 as well as touch base with Clint.

Thanks,

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4687866 - 07/11/11 11:58 PM

Hey Tim,

I inquired with Clint Whitman and I am awaiting his reply. I will be sure to let you know what I find out once I know. Of course, I also look forward to your finding as well.

Mel

imhotep
Vendor - Optical Supports

Reged: 02/14/07

Loc: Tennessee
      #4688208 - 07/12/11 08:27 AM

Maybe I will finally jump off the fence and build myself a long-throw refractor. Hearing about these projects is very inspiring.

I'm having trouble finding a price list that includes the 6" f/10 Jaegers. Is it on the Surplus Shed website or elsewhere?

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/10/07

#4688373 - 07/12/11 10:14 AM

Roland Christen once stated:

"Not all Jaegers lenses were that good. One of our guys here has a 6"F15 that was made in the later years when the old man had retired and someone else ran the business. This lens is very poor with lots of zones and poor figure."

When you buy surplus you always need to remember that there is a reason these lenses are surplus. Perhaps they were never coated because they were not up to standard.

Fred has always been good to deal with at SS but I would want some reassurance that I wouldn't get stuck with a sup-par piece of glass.

dan

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: dan_h]
      #4688414 - 07/12/11 10:38 AM

Quote:

Roland Christen once stated:

"Not all Jaegers lenses were that good. One of our guys here has a 6"F15 that was made in the later years when the old man had retired and someone else ran the business. This lens is very poor with lots of zones and poor figure."

When you buy surplus you always need to remember that there is a reason these lenses are surplus. Perhaps they were never coated because they were not up to standard.

Fred has always been good to deal with at SS but I would want some reassurance that I wouldn't get stuck with a sup-par piece of glass.

dan

A dice throw to be sure. While a totally different animal, my own Jaegers 6" f/5 lens was disappointing at 83x (9 mm Nagler), not even considering the color. That's only 14x per inch. An old friends 6" f/8 Jaegers was likewise not a stunner.

It looks like the surplus lenses turning up are priced accordingly, about on par with the Chinese achromats. I think I would go the extra $500 to get a new D&G lens. The extra money gets you MgFl coatings, a choice of focal length, an adjustable cell - and very low risk and quality question marks. And by the time Barry delivers, you can have the rest of the project put togther

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

Reged: 08/01/07

Loc: Blue Island Illinois
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #4688457 - 07/12/11 11:04 AM

I picked up a 6" f15 set with a flat so I can do a double-pass ronchi test to get the spacing and rotation of the elements sorted out and verify with an artificial star. It will take a while but I'll post the process here if I have success. I re-spaced a 127mm objective I'd purchased surplus seconds and the performance was better than what the star test predicted.

I'm at an advantage because I have an OTA and mount at the ready!

I'll say this, I don't expect much as I am a skeptic about why these weren't made into complete units in the first place. I have a feeling that when they were being produced, one would have a tray of crowns and a tray of flints and the optician would find the best combination by trying out different elements. Just picking a crown and flint sight-unseen will be a bit of an adventure.

If I didn't partake in the back of my mind I'll always think about why I didn't take a chance!

If I can get a decent image I'll compare it side-by-side with my Istar objective and keep the winner...

Just in case I picked up a 4" f15 coated and mounted... that is the steal of the lot if you ask me, but we love our aperture around here, don't we?

Sean

Edited by Sean Cunneen (07/12/11 11:05 AM)

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Sean Cunneen]
      #4688791 - 07/12/11 02:44 PM

Wow! That's a great price for the 103/1575 lens! If I weren't over extending for my upcoming ISTAR scope, I would definitely be going for one of those. Hmmmm, Mom's been looking for something to get me as a belated birthday present. I wonder

ch2co
sage

Reged: 07/28/09

Loc: Rocky Mountain High USA
      #4688806 - 07/12/11 02:53 PM

Shawn and All
Jagers Optical always offered most of its objectives as coated or uncoated, and 'loose' or in a cell. The only Jaegers lens that I have looked through is my own 105mm f15
and it has proven to be a great little lens. I was looking forward to the Surplus Shed sales of the Jaegers stuff that they picked up, but now I'm not sure? If you get one test it immediately (double pass Ronchi should be enough) so that you can return it if it doesn't measure up. Still the prices that I am starting to see from them are sorta high for an unknown vintage of what used to be very fine optics.

Clear Dark Still Skies
Chuck the Grumpy Gator

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: imhotep]
      #4689155 - 07/12/11 06:25 PM

Hey Curt,

Yes, it is on the SurpluShed website. Just read the instructions at the top page of my website.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4689196 - 07/12/11 06:52 PM

Hey Sean,

Can you tell me what 127mm lens you Ronchi tested? If it was the 127 f/9.4 sold by SurpluShed, I would love to know what you determeined the lens element spacing to be. Look forward to your reply.

As for the Jaegers lenses being sold by SurpluShed, I am told they perform a Ronchi test on each of them to verify a good figure.

Mel

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

#4695548 - 07/16/11 01:43 PM

A fair chunk of change for a item that may be very iffy, JMHO, DA.

martym

Reged: 02/15/10

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Binojunky]
      #4696477 - 07/17/11 12:28 AM

Yes, it's not dirt cheap, but low enough to take a chance. SS gives 10 days after receiving the item to evaluate and return for full refund if desired. I've returned some things and SS refunded my Paypal payment no problem, and full amount. I think that the lens would be as least as good as the mass produced Chinese glass that's being bought- some ain't too good.

martym

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: martym]
      #4696486 - 07/17/11 12:39 AM

Also, I forgot to mention Roland Christen's statement. If you have ever met him (and I have) you need to understand that he is not going to speak well of anything that does not come near to optical perfection as possible; so the comment on Jaegers is understandable. Whatever glass comes from his shop is going to be as good as possible, and that is slow to make. So you are not going to get an AP lens out of a Jaegers shop, no matter what you paid. So if you can live without 100X per inch of diameter, than maybe a Jaegers might be OK.

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Hockessin, De
      #4696506 - 07/17/11 01:07 AM Attachment (228 downloads)

Here is a picture of the 4" f/15 Jaegers lens I just purchased from Surplus Shed being tested via Double pass autocollimation. The pictures is taken on the outside of focus. A perfect lens would show perfectly straight lines. This one has the lines curving inward indicating overcorrection of around 1/4 wave.

- Dave

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: DAVIDG]
      #4696517 - 07/17/11 01:18 AM Attachment (169 downloads)

Just to compare, here is a picture of a very good 3" f/15 Selsi objective from $60 Ebay telescope with about 1/10 wave error. Note the straightness of the ronchi lines. I can barely detect any bowing of the Ronchi lines as I pass from inside to outside focus. While on the Jaegers lens the bowing is very easy to see.

- Dave

neo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/12/08

Loc: Iasi, Romania
      #4696625 - 07/17/11 04:55 AM

So glad I've passed the temptation test ok .

Is there a way to correct a bit the Jaegers lens without refiguring? Maybe different spacing between the lenses?

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: neo]
      #4696952 - 07/17/11 11:08 AM

I was reminded that I have a thread on my 6" f/15 Jaegers, that at least shows it has 3 foil spacers and no spacer ring: 6" f/15 Jaegers construction

-Tim.

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/10

Loc: Chicagoland
      #4704709 - 07/21/11 12:30 PM

Sean,

I need to PM you.

Mark

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

#4704905 - 07/21/11 02:09 PM

Quote:

Just to compare, here is a picture of a very good 3" f/15 Selsi objective from $60 Ebay telescope with about 1/10 wave error. Note the straightness of the ronchi lines. I can barely detect any bowing of the Ronchi lines as I pass from inside to outside focus. While on the Jaegers lens the bowing is very easy to see.

- Dave

Dave, how large is your flat? From it's shape I'd assume your using a secondary?

Sean

ccaissie
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/13/10

Loc: Whitefield, Maine
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: neo]
      #4705175 - 07/21/11 04:53 PM

Alex:

According to an OSLO experiment, increasing the spacing undercorrects the lens, both in spherical abberation and color correction.

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

#4705692 - 07/21/11 09:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

- Dave

Dave, how large is your flat? From it's shape I'd assume your using a secondary?

Sean

Sean,
My small autocollimation flat, which is the one I'm using in the picture is 7" x 11". It was government surplus and is mounted on heavy aluminum mount. I tested it and it is good to 1/10 wave with no edge problems. My large flat is 11" x 15" and also good to 1/10 wave. The flat does not have to be very flat just smooth. You can have many waves of error in the flat, again along as it is smooth and it adds an extremely small error to test.

- Dave

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4719245 - 07/29/11 09:55 AM Attachment (136 downloads)

Just received my 6" f/10 objective on Monday and it is definitely uncoated. Here is a photo showing the date and some other numbers on the side of the flint element, which I am hoping someone can elaborate on.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4719250 - 07/29/11 09:57 AM Attachment (95 downloads)

Here is another photo of the other side of the 6" f/10 flint element with number values inscribed in pencil.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4719263 - 07/29/11 10:05 AM Attachment (90 downloads)

This is a side shot of the crown element showing number values.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4719267 - 07/29/11 10:06 AM Attachment (85 downloads)

...and the other side of the 6" f/10 crown element.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4719278 - 07/29/11 10:10 AM

I understand that the line markings on the sides of lenses are to be used to align both elements, but it would be great to know more about the number values. A couple of number groupings looks like dates, but they may have a totally different meaning from the perspective of an experienced eye.

Mel

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #4719286 - 07/29/11 10:15 AM

Quote:

Here is a photo showing the date and some other numbers on the side of the flint element, which I am hoping someone can elaborate on.

Isn't everyone at stellafane this weekend?

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Pinbout]
      #4719300 - 07/29/11 10:23 AM

Isn't everyone at stellafane this weekend?

Wish I were! One day I will take the journey to visit during a convention. I would love to bring along my 10" f/5.6 fork mounted Newtonian.

Mel

martym

#4724238 - 08/01/11 08:36 AM

Mel,
Are you planning to use postage stamps for spacers, and did you buy the 6" Jaegers cell for $50 also at SS ?

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4724707 - 08/01/11 01:12 PM Attachment (102 downloads)

Hi Marty,

I will be using aluminum duct tape for my spacers. Below is a photo of the roll of tape (2.5" wide) I purchased years ago from Home Depot. Atop the roll, you can see a small cutoff section of tape is peeled back to show the adhesive backing partially removed from the piece. I have, and will use this tape for other refractor objectives. Also it stays in place yet comes off cleanly despite having excellent adhesion to the glass surface. Another cool thing is that you can stack layers to make tabs to suit you spacing needs. For this, I recommend stacking easy to handle sized sections (2" x 2" with the adhesive backing left on the bottom sheet ), then cutting the tabs from the pre-stacked sheet.

As for the cell, I am hoping to have one custom made. But, if that does not work out, I will purchase the one for $50.00.

martym

#4725244 - 08/01/11 05:53 PM

Mel,

Are you concerned about CA on the system at f/10?
Have you considered a folded f/15?

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4727177 - 08/02/11 07:55 PM

Quote:

Mel,

Are you concerned about CA on the system at f/10?
Have you considered a folded f/15?

marty

I am not too concerned with CA in the 6" f/10. Despite the shorter focal ratio as compared to the f/15, I believe the aperture alone should be a counter measure to help reduce CA when using higher magnification. But, as we seasoned refractors builders know so well, other factors such as a bad figure, misalignment, improper spacing of elements can introduce more CA than a triangular prism.

You know, my first choice was the f/15, but I did not have a place to store it. The f/10 is a more tamed beast to handle; at home or taking it for a ride to remote sites. A folded f/15 would work, but it also introduces more alignment anomalies to contend with.

Mel

tim53
Postmaster

#4728324 - 08/03/11 02:16 PM Attachment (88 downloads)

I wish I'd folded my f/15. It's so long that I haven't used it since I got back from CSPAMP-II (that was 2009!):

tim53
Postmaster

#4728330 - 08/03/11 02:20 PM

And the blue thingy is a 6" f/5 built about 20 years ago by a late friend of mine from JPL, Dick Zanteson. It's a beautiful piece of workmanship and a joy to use.

"In real life", I was planning on putting weights on either side of the main tube of the f/15 to get the eyepiece closer to the saddle, but I haven't done so yet.

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#4728341 - 08/03/11 02:24 PM Attachment (133 downloads)

Here's my 6" f/10 Jaegers on my EM-10 mount (a bit of Chinese underkill, but not too bad).

The tube is rougher than it looks, as I made it from scrap maple flooring and only had a finishing sander to approximate "round" on my bench.

This scope is a very nice visual instrument, even on the planets, but there's too much false color for color imaging of planets that aren't Mars, even with a Baader contrast booster filter in place. Green monochrome planetary is good, though, as is prime focus DSO color.

-Tim.

Edited by tim53 (08/03/11 02:25 PM)

martym

#4729042 - 08/03/11 10:36 PM

If anyone is interested in buying mirrors to fold the optical path Nova is selling some zerodur 1/20 wave 20/10 scratch-dig surplus flats cheap. I think that most were made for laser labs. The link: http://www.nova-optical.com/Flat%20Mirrors.htm

Mine was marked for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and serialized.

marty

Gene7
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/10/10

Loc: Mid Ohio, USA
      #4729484 - 08/04/11 07:37 AM

Do not know why above material from Nove was presented. You cannot fold a scope image with a 2 inch or smaller mirror nor can you pay $1,000 for it. Gene

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Gene7]
      #4729531 - 08/04/11 08:34 AM

Well, it depends on what you are folding and how you fold it. They show a 3" flat for $200, which seems pretty reasonable in comparison to secondary mirror prices from various vendors.

This would be adequate to fold a 6-inch objective if you use a "4" design.

JimC

martym

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Mirzam]
      #4729646 - 08/04/11 10:08 AM

I'm kind of confused about the reply to the Nova posting. I checked the link and it shows flats up to 10" in diameter and a 4" for $300, so the link is valid and a 6" f/15 can be folded almost in half with a 4" flat and a 2" eliptical diagonal or a 3" round flat instead of an eliptical diagonal.
You can get both flats for $500. and fold that f/15 tube down to about 4 feet long. That's what I've got for my f/15.

marty

Edited by martym (08/04/11 02:16 PM)

Gene7
scholastic sledgehammer

#4730312 - 08/04/11 05:31 PM

I have plans to "Z" fold my 1200mm x f/9.5 x 127mm Shed Achro, with collimation mount. Have a 1/4 wave 4 x 4 inch mirror, hope that is good enough. Plan to test it at 45 deg. in front of my ED 80mm OTA. I understand a mirror used at near 90 deg. angle need not be as good as one used at a more flat 45 deg.

You people graphing or calculating the needed mirror size do not forget to consider the field stop size in the planned eyepiece. With a large stop the folding mirrors need to be bigger.

It is also my observation that the closer a mirror is to the eyepiece or observer the less accurate it needs to be. My smaller mirror I believe is 1/10 wave. Will be able to use a low sturdy pod with a Gimble mount on the light weight 1/8 inch ply box. Camera for digiscoping will have a rack on top with a Crawmach focuser through a Hyperion eyepiece. Any comments please. Gene

note; I plan to keep my box at 20 inches long, 7 inches wide, by perhaps 14 inches high with the camera rack on top.

Edited by Gene7 (08/06/11 05:47 PM)

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
      #4730389 - 08/04/11 06:27 PM

It's good that you plan to test your flat mirror. As far as near-90-degree reflection angles mitigating the need for surface accuracy I don't see why this should be the case. The added error at the wavefront is 2x the surface error at each reflection it seems to me.

JimC

Gene7
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Mirzam]
      #4730885 - 08/05/11 12:06 AM

Did not mean to indicate that a near 90 deg. reflection mitigates the surface accuracy, it is just that low angles makes the situation worse. Information from Antares:
http://www.antaresoptics.com/SecAdvantages.html

If an image enters and leaves at a 45 degree angle (total reflection 90 deg) the error is 1.414 (square root of 2) worse than if near a 90 deg. reflection.

Antares seems to have there stuff scattered and you cannot get to it all from one link. But wow, I hate to pay for their 1/15 wave mirror when I can get a 1/10 wave for a fraction of that cost! They say the secondary should be twice the accuracy of the primary. Gene

martym

#4732070 - 08/05/11 04:52 PM

The late Optical Engineer Ernie Pfannenschmidt wrote an article in March 2001 Sky & Telescope describing a folded refractor. In the article are diagrams and text with a lot of useful info.

marty

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

#4762434 - 08/22/11 01:57 PM

I just ordered the 6" F15. I couldn't pass it up.
I will just have to push myself with making a Ronchi tester but there is no-way I would get one buit in 10-days.

Mark

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Napersky]
      #4763278 - 08/22/11 10:17 PM

Congratulations on the purchase of your Jaegers 6" f/15, Mark! I hope it will turn out well once its construction is complete. I know Surplus Shed says the lenses are tested for correctness before they leave their facility, but you never can tell unless you try it in a completed telescope, or test it prior with a Ronchi tester. I would like to build a Ronchi tester too so I can test all of my refractors.

I have the f/10 and I am starting to collect the parts to get my project on the road. I have the tube and the cell (original Jaegers cell). But, I am considering having a collimation cell made for it.

Mel

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

#4763345 - 08/22/11 11:04 PM

I mounted my 6" f15 objective mounted in it's jaeger's cell in my homebuilt OTA tonight and took it out for a dry run. Compared to my modern Istar multi-coated objective star points were a bit dimmer. Star points were very sharp and the optic star tested very nicely. Through a green filter the star test was perfectly symmetrical on both sides of focus. The diffraction rings were even, round and uniform. I was pleasantly surprised! Off axis viewing caused a bit of a reflection, I believe due to the lack of coatings however viewing on axis was fine. I had a partial split of the double-double at 100x and a clean split at both ends at about 160x.

I think Surplus Shed did an excellent job matching up my objective, I expected worse. If all the other lenses are like mine I think folks will be very pleased with their purchases!

plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
      #4763556 - 08/23/11 12:58 AM

Stop it Sean, you're tempting me to buy another lens.

Andy

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4764035 - 08/23/11 10:31 AM

Sean,

Great news on the performance of the Jaegers 6" f/15! I figured without coatings there will be some light transmission degradation, but with all of the conjecture about these achromats I was getting a bit apprehensive. I feel more confident my f/10 will be a great performing once I have constructed it; despite the lack of coatings.

Mel

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

#4764147 - 08/23/11 11:24 AM

Late last night around 1am Jupiter finally popped into view. The lack of coatings was really evident as there was a lot of glare and haze. On axis views were good but off axis views left a lot to be desired. Detail on the planet was very good but the strong light from Jupiter overwhelmed the view. The planet's limb washed away in a haze.

The objective took magnification very well, better than my Istar but when comparing the crystal clear Istar images, modern coatings win. I am calling around today to see how expensive a MGF2 coating would be. If others are interested, let me know and I'll tell you what I find out.

As for the OP's original question: Stick with newer glass unless you are ready for a labor of love. This objective shows a lot of promise but it looks as though $425 is just the beginning!

Sean

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

#4764458 - 08/23/11 02:06 PM

Sean,

I was just going to post about getting these coated. You can count me in on the coating thing when you call around. I believe that is the way to go. Once coated the Jaegers should perform great. Have you tested for spherical aberation w your ronchi yet?

Mel, I believe that Jon Siple wrote an article in the Rosette about the Jaegers F10 some years back. I am going to look for it next.

I hope to have a Ronchi tester made for me soon....

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

#4764503 - 08/23/11 02:28 PM

Before you spend the money on AR coatings I highly recommend that you bench test your lens or have someone like D&G test it for you. What you think might be a coating issues could actually be a figure issue. My 4" Jaegers lens tested poorly and it was coated. See the pictures I posted in this thread. MgF2 coating are more expensive then metal ones and you'll need to have at least two if not all four surfaces coated. The cost will be a few hundred dollars. Once the coating are applied they can not be chemically removed so if the issues turns out to be a figuring problem then they will need to polished off, adding to the refiguring costs plus the cost of having them applied again.

- Dave

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

#4764638 - 08/23/11 03:43 PM

David,

Absolutely, In fact I have asked a friend if he might build a Stellafane Tester and Stand for me. If he will I will be bench testing in the near future.

Mark

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

Jaegers OG specifications new [Re: Napersky]
      #4764642 - 08/23/11 03:46 PM

Does anyone know the specifications of the OG from Jaegers on the 6":

Type of Crown
Type of Flint
thickness
radii of the curves

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4764936 - 08/23/11 06:37 PM

Quote:

The objective took magnification very well, better than my Istar but when comparing the crystal clear Istar images, modern coatings win. I am calling around today to see how expensive a MGF2 coating would be. If others are interested, let me know and I'll tell you what I find out.

Sean

Wow, Sean! It just so happens that after reading your previous message, I was thinking about coatings too. Yes, I want to get mine coated too. I will do some research and report back. Look forward to seeing what you will find out as well.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4764960 - 08/23/11 06:50 PM

Good point, Dave. But, I wonder how much D&G would charge for their testing. I guess I will just have to give them a call.

Mel

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

#4765400 - 08/23/11 11:29 PM

I did some calling around and Majestic Coatings in NJ will do MGF2 coatings on all 4 surfaces for $150, $125 if he can do 2 objective(4 lenses) at once. So I have to find a coating-buddy. Majestic does D&G's lenses...

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

#4765927 - 08/24/11 10:17 AM

I am pleasantly surprised. That's really quite reasonable.

dan

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

#4765961 - 08/24/11 10:30 AM

Quote:

I am pleasantly surprised. That's really quite reasonable.

dan

That is quite resonable. A good friend made a 6" lens awhile back and was quoted by another compnay around $600 to have all four surface MgF2 coated.
One thing to also keep in mind is that the glass is heated to have the coating applied so there is always a minor risk of something happening. For modern glass this isn't usually a problem but for vintage glass there are a number of cases that resulted in either breakage or the figuring being changed. I know of one first hand and luckly the objective was able to be refiguring.

- Dave

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

#4766030 - 08/24/11 11:00 AM

Sean,

I am waiting for a friend to see if he will build me some test equipment so that i can Ronchi bench test my Jaeger's 6". I am following David G.s advice to have it tested before committing to coatings. If after Ronchi bench testing it shows littler or no spherical abberation then I will be your partner on the mgf2 coatings.

If the lens is good without refiguring I definitely will be getting them coated!!!!

Mark

Gene7
scholastic sledgehammer

#4766167 - 08/24/11 12:09 PM

Just be sure you adjust the spacing of the elements for the best performance. Gene

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

#4766294 - 08/24/11 01:04 PM

During coating the elements are heated to 500 deg. Scary, but not crazy. If there was a bubble or chips in the glass I wouldn't be so cavalier but I have a good feeling about this.

There are a couple of variables I should have looked at and if it is clear tonight I will revisit...

First I neglected to mount my dew shield which let in some stray light, I am in the city.

Second: surplus shed used 1/2" pieces of masking tape as spacer material which intrude into the lens by 1/4" to 3/8". This certainly could have played a part in flares. I'll play with the simple things first before I worry about figure...

One question; With a good star test, sharp focus at high powers and good planetary surface detail visible, could a bad figure still be an option? I can't see it. Bad eyepieces I have had tend to muddle details, not be sharper in-spite-of...

Sean

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

#4766500 - 08/24/11 02:22 PM

Sean,
I've tested many many optics over the years, many of which have been stated to have very high wave rating of better then 1/10 wave and made by big name companies and the owners have stated that they "star test" very well. Yet many when bench tested fall far short of the claims. Most are in the range of 1/2 to 1/4 wave at best. The Jaegers lens I purchased and posted pictures of it being tested is a typical example. Wolfgang Rohr has an excellent German site in which he tests many telescopes. The results are very revealing to their actual quality. http://www.astro-foren.de/forum.php I believe Mark (Napersky) visited with Wolfgang last Summer and saw his workshop and testing equipment in action.
The other thing is that if you test the lens before coating you can compare the results to after coating to be sure nothing has changed from the heating of the elements.
Third, Surplus Shed is guessing at the spacer thickness with using masking tape. You'll be guessing as well by using different materials and thickness and also fighting with seeing conditions to determine if the correction is better or worse then before. If you bench test it you can see the effects of the spacers thickness and tune them for the best overall correction quickly and easily.
I just restored a 3" 1940's Tinsley refractor that many people said the images were excellent, yet when I bench tested the lens it was BACKWARDS in the cell.

- Dave

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4767325 - 08/24/11 08:58 PM

Hey Sean,

In my research, I also found Majestic Coatings; contacted them and was able to work out the same deal on having two objectives MgF2 coated on all surfaces for $250.00. I expected more. I guess a bit of research can reveal much. Jeff responded so quickly that I did not hesitate on the deal. Hope you can find someone to go in with you too. Being that they also coat D&G's achromats, I figure they must do good work. If I hear of anyone else wanting to get their objective coated, I will point them in your direction to hop in on your deal.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4767371 - 08/24/11 09:31 PM

Hey Sean,

Sounds to me your lens is working fine and that the addition of the coatings will help significantly. The difference in light transmission with coatings as compared to not having them is quite a bit. Approximately 92% without and 98% with. I guess the ultimate test is what is seen with your eyes through the scope. And it sounds like your visual test went well. As for testing, I have seen a number of lens providers with figure test results as bad as those generated by Dave. Just check the test results of some of the achromats iStar sells. Another company is Barride; and others. For several of their doublets, the Ronchi tests look ronchy too (no pun intended). Not to say testing is not a good idea. I truly think it is.

I plan on removing the masking tape and replacing them with aluminum tabs.

Mel

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

#4768022 - 08/25/11 08:38 AM

Oh yes Mel, I see those Istar test results just about every clear night . I am thinking of trading in my 6"dia test report for an 8.5"dia test result this winter!

Barride optics has a bunch of bad optics floating around and has refused to make good with their customers, not such a good plan...

According to Jeff at Majestic, each surface coated increases transmission by 1.4%.

Alan French
Night Owl

Reged: 01/28/05

Loc: Upstate NY
      #4768059 - 08/25/11 09:13 AM

Quote:

(in part)

According to Jeff at Majestic, each surface coated increases transmission by 1.4%.

Are you sure you have that right? Uncoated glass reflects 4% of the light, so the total transmission for four surfaces would be 85% (0.96^4).

Adding a MgF2 coating reduces the reflected light to 1.5%, increasing the total transmission to 94%, for a 9% gain in light transmission.

If I owned a well-performing uncoated lens, I would not chance sending it out for recoating.

Clear skies, Alan

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Alan French]
      #4768277 - 08/25/11 11:02 AM

Mel,

Great news that Majestic Coatings does coatings for D&G.
I heard from one of the classics guys and in 4-5 weeks he will attempt to build me a Stellafane tester with Mirror test stand! Hurray!

Next step is I will be working on getting my Interferometer working. It's not a Bath but a Zygo.. It works but it needs to be set-up...adjusted etc. I bought it from England just to test my telescopes.

Mark

martym

#4768379 - 08/25/11 12:03 PM

You know I'm wondering why all this posting about coating the J6/15? Mine came both elements MgF all sides, did no one elses?

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4768447 - 08/25/11 12:32 PM

Hey Mark,

I'll be look forward to reading your results from your Zygo test once you receive your test equipment.

Mel

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Alan French]
      #4768524 - 08/25/11 12:55 PM

Quote:

If I owned a well-performing uncoated lens, I would not chance sending it out for recoating.

Clear skies, Alan

That's what R.E. Brandt told me in 1979. I never considered the risk of having it done on my own. Maybe this is one reason for D&G's not offering any outside coating services anymore. Also could be a contributing factor to their ever growing delivery times. Too many ruined objectives that needed refiguring then a second chance at the coaters. The coaters are never going to admit that but they'll never give you a 100% guarantee either. Mike

martym

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: mikey cee]
      #4768654 - 08/25/11 02:05 PM

Yes, Barry at D&G told me that he tests the lens after comming back from coating. Why would that be done unless the glass is being changed from the heating and that is known. He has the test results before and after coating in front of him.

What's the people like AP doing when they are sending their triplets out for coating and comming back bad. Must being going into a screaming tizzy. Can you imagine?

marty

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Slidell La
      #4769115 - 08/25/11 06:59 PM

I'm reading these posts about Ronchi testing lenses .I cant afford to spend a lot of money on having someone test a lens or even building a unit to do that and I dont have a problem with it if that is what someone wants to do. I'm also not going to worry about anyone's "bad lens".Though testing lenses that way is ok ,I dont need to have a tester to see if a lens is bad or not. If you are an experienced observer and are familiar with your refractor systems ,you know that many factors come into play when determining objective lens quality,among these being glass types and sizes,air temperature ,eyepiece and objective differences .
I built a 6" f/15 refractor from a mounted A Jaegers objective back in 1976 and it was excellent, handling magnifications of up to 300x very well with various orthoscopic eyepieces,and recently I finished a 4" f/8.3 refractor with a Jaegers lens,and it too produced great images with varying eyepieces.
There are bound to be bad objectives here and there,but the point is do the simple things to check it first. Before I built the 4",I made a "Box scope" that helped greatly in the final design of the main instrument .This has always worked for me. G

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4769214 - 08/25/11 07:58 PM

Quote:

Yes, Barry at D&G told me that he tests the lens after comming back from coating. Why would that be done unless the glass is being changed from the heating and that is known. He has the test results before and after coating in front of him.

What's the people like AP doing when they are sending their triplets out for coating and coming back bad. Must being going into a screaming tizzy. Can you imagine?

marty

Now, I wonder what percentage of the batch of lens elements Barry sent out for coating by Majestic actually come back with issues?

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

#4769382 - 08/25/11 09:34 PM

Probably very few. The lens has to be tested after coating because it is assembled into its cell at that time. Testing assures proper assembly and that the lens is not pinched in the cell, that the spacers are properly applied and that the lens elements are properly centered once assembled. I would expect any manufacturer to test a lens for these issues once it is assembled.

dan

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4769626 - 08/25/11 11:49 PM

That's an encouraging bit of information, Dan! I would hate to see anyone's optics turn up in a scrapheap. But, I bet some do.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4771303 - 08/26/11 11:54 PM

Hey Sean,

Going off topic for a pinch, I like what you did to make the collimation cell for Jill! A really nice piece of work! I would like to get some insight from you on making one for my 6" f/10. We can PM or use external email to discuss further.

Thanks,
Mel

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

#4771886 - 08/27/11 11:03 AM

ahem. i'll make this post as quietly as possible. I may have had the elements all flipped around wrong. I'll let you know

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

#4772318 - 08/27/11 02:41 PM

OOOOPS!

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: watcher]
      #4772415 - 08/27/11 03:47 PM

Let me rephrase my previous statement...

I am going to try some different configurations to see if my lens can be assembled in a different, optically better configuration.

Sean:)

mikey cee
Postmaster

#4772561 - 08/27/11 05:15 PM

When I've had my Jaegers 6" F/8 apart for cleaning therewas no way to visually discern which side of the crown is which. I made dang sure I marked it the first time. Mike

Edited by mikey cee (08/27/11 05:17 PM)

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

#4772657 - 08/27/11 06:30 PM Attachment (114 downloads)

If you test the objective it is very easy to see if you got it assembled correctly. The issue is that if you don't get it right it will still form an image and the image can be pretty good but just not as good as it good be. As I have said there are a number of cases were historic objectives have been assembled backward for years and no one has challenged the image quality, but unfortunately
the observers have not be able to take advantage of the true optical quality of the telescope for all that time. So just because you think you got it assembled right and the image looks good doesn't mean you did. Also the person before you could have done it wrong and your just repeating their mistake.
I just displayed a 3" Tinsley refractor at Stellafane that I restored were the objective was in the cell backwards for at least 30 years if not much longer and everyone I talked that had used the telescope has the image was great.
Here is a picture of that objective being tested.

- Dave

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#4772976 - 08/27/11 10:40 PM

I have also disasembled objectives for cleaning for time to time, including my former 6" f/15 Jaegers ,and when putting the elements back togather the concave goes in cell first, spacers on this element.
The concave element must face flat side to the focuser.The more convex side of the convex element must be installed as to face the concave lens .If it is not,the telescope's image will suffer.
It's role is different in the fact that one side is slightly more convex than the other side. You can see this by looking at it from edgewise.
Correct element spacing is crucial make sure that your spacers remain in place equidistant from each other,and when reapplying the retaining ring,it must not be tightened too tight ;You should be able to hear a slight rattle so that the lenses may adjust to temperature changes . Since I've deen doing this work this way,I've never had any problems . Gary

Edited by BarabinoSr (08/27/11 10:47 PM)

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

#4778208 - 08/30/11 01:59 PM

Mel,

I have had the Zygo for a year and a half now. I need to adjust it because the beam has to go thru a pinhole and emerge at the other side.

I just received my 6" F15 with lens cell the other day!

Mark

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4778627 - 08/30/11 05:56 PM

Awesome! The more I think about it, the more I wish I would have bought the f/15 instead of the f/10. But, on second thought, maybe not. I purchased the f/10 for transportability.

Eagerly awaiting your test results once they are performed!

Mel

Dick

Reged: 08/19/06

Loc: Orlando
Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: BarabinoSr]
      #4778662 - 08/30/11 06:15 PM

Time to chime in. Been watching this post for awhile. I too bought a Jaegers 6" F10. Ordered an F15 at first but after some review of others I switched to the F10 before SS shipped. No coatings on my lenses. Fred marked the edges during his testing. I may be interested in a coating buddy to reduced costs. I really would like to see the progress on everyones projects. This thread could be going on for awhile. Need to sell some things before I start to build. Too many projects costing too much money.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Dick]
      #4778812 - 08/30/11 07:24 PM

Hi Dick,

Welcome aboard! With you living so close to me it would have been great to buddy-up on a coating deal, but despite the controversy I already sent them a couple for coating; my 6" f/10 and also a Jaegers 4.3 f/15.

Yes, this thread is going to be flaming for quite a while. I hope the end results of everyone's builds will be very satisfactory.

Mel

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

#4779900 - 08/31/11 11:38 AM

Regarding the coating of these lenses. Technically, I feel the only surfaces that NEED coatings are the interior ones, R2 & R3 as they are very close in proximity and very close, if not equal, to each other in radius. This allows for the generation of ghosting, which coatings, even good old MgFl, will basically eliminate.

Also, R1, being uncoated, can be cleaned without any worry of the coating being damaged, since there isn't any. Plus, I believe, you'll be exposing the lens to only one coating process, R2 & R3, instead of two, to pick up R1 & R4. This cuts the risk of loosing the lens due to a coating mishap in half.

Just something to consider.

Jeff

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Jeff B]
      #4780217 - 08/31/11 02:06 PM

Thanks Jeff!

Great information to those of us considering or getting our lenses coated. I initially was going to get R1 and R2 coated, but decided to get all four radii coated after accepting a great deal. But, your point about coating R2 and R3 makes good scientific sense. It also offers a means to save some cash; at the same time getting good performance from our refractors.

Thanks again,

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4785069 - 09/02/11 06:37 PM

Today, my lenses arrived at Majestic Optical Coatings. I will be sure to report back on my dealings with MOC once I have received and tested my optics.

Mel

Dick

Reged: 08/19/06

Loc: Orlando
      #4785375 - 09/02/11 09:46 PM

I was wondering if anyone has actual numbers for lens spacing. I remember about a year ago when I called Jaegers directly and got ahold of Mr. Jaegers. I am not sure how many family members were involved with the business or which Jaegers I was talking to. He seemed to be an older man from his voice. Anyways I was building a 78mm jaegers F15 refractor and asked him about the lens spacing. Without hesitation he immediately indicated it was a 0.100" lens spacing. I now wonder what the 150mm F10 spacing would be. I know Fred at SS got all of the technical drawings / data. The spacing for all of the lenses maybe in the hands of Fred at SS. I will try to gather data from him next week and post. It maybe buried in all his stuff.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: Dick]
      #4785445 - 09/02/11 10:33 PM

Good suggestion, Dick! It would be great to know the exact spacing requirements for the 6" f/10. When I received my objective, Fred tested it using masking tape to space the elements. Even left the tabs on the lens when it was shipped to me. Seems logical to me that Fred would have gathered as much information about these achromats when he purchased them from Jaegers Jr. I think I will give him a ping too to see what he knows.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4799698 - 09/10/11 10:38 AM Attachment (136 downloads)

... I received a response from Fred at SS, and he said that he has the proprietary glass and curve specs for the Jaegers lenses, but does not have the exact spacing specs. So, I guess I will go with a double layer of the aluminum duct tape I showed images of previously in this thread. The tape is 4.8 mils thick and a couple of layers would be just shy of 100th of an inch.

BTW - My lenses have come back from Majestic and the coatings look great! Here is a photo of the flint element. Note the uncoated areas depicting where the lens was supported during the coating process. The uncoated strips helps illustrate the contrast between the coated and uncoated surfaces.

Mel

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

#4799744 - 09/10/11 11:09 AM

If you can get the data from Fred at Surplus Shed for your lens I'll be happy to enter it into OLSO and find the air spacing.

- Dave

Dave

Gene7
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Jaegers objective *DELETED* new [Re: dawsonian2000]
      #4800018 - 09/10/11 02:05 PM

Post deleted by Gene7

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4800548 - 09/10/11 07:32 PM

I will check with him and get back to you, Dave.

Thanks, Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4800577 - 09/10/11 07:55 PM

Quote:

Mel, is that a mis-print on your tape thickness and spacing. Aluminum tape would never be .048 thick, must be .0048 to make a spacing of about .010. inch. Gene

Yes, you are correct, Gene! Thanks for straightening me out! In a hurry to post an image of my coated lens I got off the mils path and onto the path of inches. I have made the appropriate changes to my previous post.

Thanks again

Mel

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

#4806922 - 09/14/11 08:48 AM

I reassembled my lens as per Gary's instructions and sure enough I must have had everything turned around! No ghosts or flares and a nice tight image. Now on to Majestic...

Whew! Just goes to show how tricky these things can be! I printed out his instructions and they shall live for eternity posted above my work bench. Another example of how great this forum is!

Sean

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4807951 - 09/14/11 06:19 PM

Quote:

If you can get the data from Fred at Surplus Shed for your lens I'll be happy to enter it into OLSO and find the air spacing.

- Dave

Dave

Hey Dave,

I checked with Fred at Surplus Shed and he is not willing to provide the lens curve specs. He said they are considering making lenses from those specifications in the future. Oh well, I believe I can get the spacing right without them anyway, but it was worth a try to see if they would provide.

Thanks for trying to help.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4807994 - 09/14/11 06:50 PM

Awesome, Sean!!! Now, just wait until you get them coated! Majestic did a marvelous job coating my lenses and should do well for you too.

Mel

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

#4808099 - 09/14/11 07:59 PM

Mel, did you try them out before coating?

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4808576 - 09/15/11 12:09 AM

Yes, with extreme caution I did a crude preliminary terrestrial test of the lens before coating, and it performed well. I wanted to do a celestial test, but I did not have the cell.

Mel

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

#4808624 - 09/15/11 12:37 AM

Hi Mel,
If Fred at Surplus Shed won't give you the spec's all you need to do is find someone with a good spherometer and measure the 4 radii and the center thickness of both elements. From that it's easy to raytrace the design and determine the theorical spacing.
Having seen a couple of their 6" objectives, the foil spacer are a few thosuands thick so in the range of 0.05" to 0.001". Another simple method is set the lens up in double pass autocollimation and put in the spacer you think are about right, test the lens and then double and half the spacer thickness while testing the lens at each new spacing. You'll see right away which way the spherical correction is going and that will determine which way you need to go (thicker or thinner) from the starting spacer thickness.
By the way you can purchase a booklet of 14 different thickness and colored plastic shim stock from manufactors like Precision Brand from around $25. http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Color-Coded-Shim-Assortment/dp/B00065UYKU
They make great lens spacer material and make testing the lens at different spacer thickness very easy.

- Dave

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#4808984 - 09/15/11 09:44 AM

Hello Everyone ! I recently recieved the Jaegers 4.3" f/10 objective and cell from Surplusshed and mounted them in the cell.Everything fitted correctly.A rough test using a box scope made for this purpose and a 25mm eyepiece showed a very good image .I will contact majestic soon again about pricing to coat .I may be making some changes .This appears to be the making of a very fine scope. Gary

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4809179 - 09/15/11 11:52 AM

Hi Dave,

Great recommendations! Unfortunately, I do not have anyone close by that has a spherometer. But, the material I plan to use (adhesive backed aluminum duct tape) to separate the lenses is .048" thick, which falls within that range you mentioned and should suffice.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: BarabinoSr]
      #4809233 - 09/15/11 12:27 PM

Congratulations, Gary! That chalks another Jaegers instrument to add to the VSC collection.

Mel

martym

#4825991 - 09/24/11 09:59 PM Attachment (118 downloads)

In case your interested here is a picture of the test rail I used to determine the exact focal length of the lens using my most in-focusing eyepiece that I expect to use. That way when the scope is built there won't be the problem of not enought in-travel to reach focus, which can be a real bummer.
The eyepiece holder slides between the 2X4's in a simple box slide with furniture paste wax to make it a little smoother. I used a laser collimater to set the eyepiece holder to the optical center line first, then taped a flat mirror on the face of the lens holder to adjust the reflection back to itself.
It turned out that my 6/15 Jaegers had a focal lenght of 91.1875 inches.

marty

Edited by martym (09/24/11 10:04 PM)

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#4826068 - 09/24/11 10:57 PM

Hey Marty!

That's a well designed test rail! Got me thinking about building one.

Mel

martym

#4956887 - 12/08/11 02:21 PM Attachment (129 downloads)

Here are two pictures of the folded refractor I built using the Jaegers 6" f/15 lens. The tube lenght is 51 inches.

marty

martym

#4956891 - 12/08/11 02:22 PM Attachment (120 downloads)

Here's the other picture

marty

tcmzodiac
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/11/11

#4956990 - 12/08/11 03:39 PM

Marty you are a genius!

Bob Myler
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: St Louis, MO
      #4957556 - 12/08/11 10:46 PM

Quote:

Here are two pictures of the folded refractor I built using the Jaegers 6" f/15 lens. The tube lenght is 51 inches.

marty

What size is the flat?

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5070318 - 02/13/12 11:49 AM Attachment (124 downloads)

Hi Marty,

Wow! What an awesome instrument! I hope its great looks conveys its optical performance! Please give us a report on its performance as you time permits. What a great build! Congratulations!

As for my build, it has been a slow process. You all may recall that I am building my Jaegers 6" f/10 in honor and memory of my dear wife Gelinda. Since my last insertion into this thread, I have been making slow progress because I wanted to have a few custom parts fabricated for the scope. Well, some of those parts have been finished with others nearing completion.

One of the components I had fabricated was the dovetail plate. For that piece, I utilized the services of Joe Kane (Please PM me if you would like his eBay store link). Joe makes beautifully crafted dovetail plates, bars, and other custom made items for amateurs. I also had Joe make a couple of "dovetail plate to tube ring adapters" after I purchased a set of old cast aluminum tube rings made by The Optical Craftsmen for their 6" f/8 Newtonian from back in the 60's and 70's. Initially, I was going to make my own tube rings, as I have done with some of my other telescope builds, but I was very fortunate in procuring this set. Unfortunately, I had already sent my design specs for my dovetail plate to Joe with the mindset that I was going to make my own rings. Once that all changed, I commissioned Joe in building the adapters. They turned out fantastic!

Below is a photo of the dovetail plate, the adapters, and the tube/ cradles rings for my upcoming telescope build. What's cool is that the dovetail plate and the adapters were powder coated by Joe in the color I preferred.

The tube rings have an inside diameter of 7.250" and will fit great around my 7.000" main tube once I have painted or powder coated the rings and added the felt linings. The dovetail plate is 16.000" x 5.00" and .500" thick. It has a d-mount dovetail that fit Celestron CGEM and Losmandy mounts.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5070325 - 02/13/12 11:51 AM Attachment (70 downloads)

Here is a photo showing how the dovetail plate and tube/ cradle rings arrangement will look once the components have been assembled.

Mel

mikey cee
Postmaster

#5070808 - 02/13/12 04:37 PM

Mel.....I've had my Jaegers 6" F/8 for 35 years. Anyways I've cleaned my lenses several times since then and have had them in and out of their cell several times when boring and tapping screw holes etc. Anyhow the 6 spacers also have a like amount of the them to act as a glass protector on the face of the retaining ring. They are made out of adhesive backed aluminum tape that has a gray teflon coating on them. Good luck. Mike

Edited by mikey cee (02/13/12 04:39 PM)

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5071357 - 02/13/12 10:56 PM Attachment (71 downloads)

Quote:

Mel.....I've had my Jaegers 6" F/8 for 35 years. Anyways I've cleaned my lenses several times since then and have had them in and out of their cell several times when boring and tapping screw holes etc. Anyhow the 6 spacers also have a like amount of the them to act as a glass protector on the face of the retaining ring. They are made out of adhesive backed aluminum tape that has a gray teflon coating on them. Good luck. Mike

Hi Mike,

It is great to see you here on the thread. It has been a long time since we last communicated, and I look forward to your advice and technical prowess. Though I have constructed a couple of fine refractors over the past few years, I value any additional insight from knowledgeable ATM's like you.

Thanks for letting me know about using Teflon coated aluminum tape spacers between the retaining ring and the front surface of the objective lens. Sounds like a great idea to me. It could lesson the stresses on the objective by allowing it to expand and contract more effortlessly. Can you provide a photo? It just so happens that I already have some Teflon coated tape I purchased some time ago. I will give it a whirl.

BTW - Below is a photo of the collimation cell and focuser backplate that was fabricated by Eric Moerman of Belgium from my designs specs. He just recently finished adding the threads to the retaining ring and drilling the attachment holes. Eric will be shipping the components to me soon.

Mel

mikey cee
Postmaster

#5071412 - 02/13/12 11:42 PM

Mel....These are the original spacers not ones I put in. Why Jaegers put in 6 instead of three beats me. Mike

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5084827 - 02/21/12 11:31 PM

Today, I just received word from Eric letting me know that he has completed and shipped the collimation cell and focuser backplate!

I have also shipped off the vintage Optical Craftsmen tube rings I purchased off of eBay to Joe Kane for cleaning and powder coated in black.

I will provide photos once the parts have arrived.

More to come...

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5084840 - 02/21/12 11:42 PM

Quote:

Mel....These are the original spacers not ones I put in. Why Jaegers put in 6 instead of three beats me. Mike

Perhaps the elements benefited from the added radial support offered by the 6 spacers as compared to three. Just a wild guess.

Mel

martym

#5087774 - 02/23/12 06:22 PM

Hello,

I've been away from this thread for a while, but I just checked back to see if there has been any posting, and I see that some interest has been renewed. As far as my folded 6" f/15 goes I'm surprised that folding long focus refractors has been so rare. My optics are working great at 270X and the six stars in the Trapazium are distinct. The scope is easy and stable to use on a 6" DiskMount with a concrete pier in the ground with the 51 inch long tube. As far as I'm concerned the 4" flat is indeed 1/20 wave as Nova Optical stated. The flat is gov't surplus which was headed for the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory which does high energy laser research and they do not spec out trash flats. So even though the folding mirror is so far distant from the focal plane the ronchi grating placed in the eyepiece shows nice straight lines. BTY my optics from SS were MgF coated on both elements, I don't know why some were not and mine is. So I am completely satisfied with folding up this scope.

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5094823 - 02/27/12 08:46 PM

Well it sounds like you have a great instrument, Marty. I hope I will be as happy with my unfolded 6" f/10 once it is done.

Of recent, I had the tube/ cradle rings powder coated and they look great. I will post a photo of them sometime on tomorrow. All will be amazed with the transformation. Also the collimation cell and focuser backplate are on their way to me from Belgium.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5095493 - 02/28/12 10:40 AM Attachment (67 downloads)

As I mentioned I was going to provide, here is a photo of the completed tube/ cradle rings and dovetail plate. Joe Kane did a marvelous job cleaning and powder coating the rings. They were a mess! What a difference from how they looked previously!

Mel

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

#5096350 - 02/28/12 06:49 PM

Looking great Mel! There's gonna be another fine refractor coming on line soon at the Vega Sky Center!

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: watcher]
      #5096768 - 02/28/12 11:34 PM

Thanks Joe! This is going to be an ambitious build indeed for the Vega Sky Center.

Today, I received the collimation cell and focuser backplate, but I have not unpacked it because I had to go to work. I will unpack the parts and post a picture them on tomorrow.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: dawsonian2000]
      #5098485 - 02/29/12 10:07 PM

After unpacking the parts, I discovered that the rule I used to measure my parts to create my designs was off by about five hundreds of an inch. This caused me to provide Eric with incorrect measurements which resulted in the parts he fabricated not fitting the tube, lens, and focuser properly. All parts were reamed out too small. The good thing about this is material will have to be removed. It would have been much worse if too much material was removed.

Nevertheless, Eric did a professional job in fabricating these components. Once they have been re-sized, they are going to make this refractor look great. I will get a photo of the parts uploaded soon before they are sent for re-sizing.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5099806 - 03/01/12 04:57 PM Attachment (88 downloads)

Here is a photo of the finished front and back-end parts for my Jaegers 6" f/10 GJD refractor as shipped to me by Eric Moerman. I have removed the mounted hardware from the pieces in preparation to have them shipped and re-sized. They most certainly have been beautifully crafted by Eric.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5147883 - 03/29/12 10:19 PM

After nearly a month, the parts have finally reached Eric in Belgium. He will begin making the necessary modification next week and ship them back afterwards. Slowly but surely progress is being made...

Mel

martym

#5149895 - 03/31/12 09:55 AM

Yes Mel, It must be fustrating. I can tell you one thing from a machining point of view, buying a dial type 6" caliper, without it's accuracy not being ISO certified to .001" over the entire 6" range it's a bad choice. Making press and sliding fits require a reliable measuring tool that's good in the larger dimensions. Usually those calipers start at $100 and then up. Mitutoyo and Starrett are good calipers.

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: martym]
      #5153032 - 04/02/12 10:51 AM

Hi Marty,

If I am going to be making additional scopes in the future, and possibly utilizing Eric's machining skills to make the parts in Belgium , it would be well worth the investment to purchase a precision vernier caliper. I had an average one at one time, but it disappeared. I do not know why I did not get a new one soon afterwards, but I think I will get one soon.

Thanks, Marty!

Mel

martym

#5153492 - 04/02/12 04:11 PM

Just a thought Mel, a good place to buy machinist tools close to you is Wholesale Tool on Hwy 60 near Brandon. It's just one block east of US 301 on the north side of Adamo Drive. If you are there ask for a free catalog and place your name on their mailing list to get quarterly sale flyers. Their inventory is not another Harbor Freight.

marty

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5153833 - 04/02/12 08:40 PM

Hey Marty,

I know the place. But I figured it was strictly wholesale. Thanks for letting me know otherwise. They have a great online site as well. I have been drooling over the stuff they sell! Thanks a million!!!

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5155883 - 04/04/12 09:46 AM

Marty,

I just procured a Starrett No. 123 master vernier caliper for only $70.00. Considering how much these calibers cost new, I believe I did well. Now I can provide more concise measurements for my projects and to my fabricators! Thanks again for your assistance. It is much appreciated.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5192943 - 04/27/12 06:52 AM Attachment (65 downloads)

Progress is on the move! I have received the objective cell and focuser backplate components after having them milled to make for a better fit on the the main tube.

Also, I received my new section of 7" OD main tubing from Air Flow Systems to replace the warped piece I purchased from Hastings. I am happy to report that the piece arrived in pristine condition!No dings, dents or warp. Actually, the tubing is thicker than the one I purchased from Hastings! I have provided a photo below to show the difference. The Air Flow tube is on the right and Hasting's on the left. Wow! The Hastings tubes is egg shaped and thin walled. The Air Flow Systems tube is thicker and symmetrically round! This is the second time I purchased a piece of aluminum tubing from Air Flow Systems with respectable results.

Anyway, I will be using the piece from Hasting for 6" f/5 refractor project later this year. It should do well for it. I know, I know... I should have sent it back anyway.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5192946 - 04/27/12 06:55 AM Attachment (58 downloads)

The photo below shows the resized lens cell transition piece test fitted on a 8" OD x 30" long section of tubing before being cut to size for a dew shield. It fits like a glove!

After haggling in my mind as to the dew shield's length, I decided to go with 12.5". That's a pinch over 2 times the objectives diameter. Some like them longer; some shorter. I think a 12.5" length for the dew shield should be a good compromise for most refractor ATM's.

Mel

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

#5193169 - 04/27/12 10:44 AM

Just a bit of astigmatism in the Hastings tube.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: Jeff B]
      #5194492 - 04/28/12 08:07 AM

True, true!!!

Scollett

Reged: 03/31/12

Loc: Bakersfield, California
      #5197469 - 04/29/12 11:31 PM

I just ordered an 83 mm f/15 lens from Surplus Shed. They say it includes spacers and instructions. Maybe you can get them to send you some details on your lens? They stock a LOT of Jaegers stuff.

Steve in Bakersfield

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5219479 - 05/12/12 10:57 PM

Looks like I will have some free time to work on the scope tomorrow morning. I will be painting the collimation cell components and focuser backplate. Flat black will be used for the interior light train surfaces of the cell and focuser backplate parts, and Rustoleum Hammered Finish black paint on the exterior surface of the transition piece and on the outside of the focuser backplate. I will post some photos as I progress.

Mel

martym

#5223161 - 05/15/12 08:01 AM

Hello Mel, Just an opinion on some paint from my viewpoint. I used some black chaulkboard paint from Lowes for the inside of a scope I built because the pigment was carbon black and not a sulfide, but I found that though the paint was very black when viewed from the normal, the binder has somewhat of a sheen at low angles. So I used another flat black on my folded 6" f/15 and also some flocking paper at a few points. I looked about on the web and there are a lot of posts by ATM'ers on black paints, but the chaulkboard paint is not my first choice. I suppose it is a good black to use on a newtonian opposite the focuser, because it is very black when viewed at the normal, but a refractor tube assembly has no 90 degree surfaces on the tube wall, so that's why I don't like this particular paint.

marty

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/21/12

#5223711 - 05/15/12 02:57 PM

Is this a coated lens?

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5224138 - 05/15/12 08:32 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the information regarding the chalkboard paint. Your notes have reaffirmed my understanding about this paint. Actually, I am going to be using Krylon's Ultra-Flat Black spray enamel for only a few parts, which includes the inside surfaces of the focuser backplate, and the lens support cell. As for the interior of the tube, I will be using ProtoStar flocking material in conjunction with knife-edge baffles to obliterate internal and stray light reflection .

Here is a photo of the focuser backplate components (crayford focuser holder on the left and backplate on the right) primed in preparation to receive coats of flat black paint on strategic areas. Once the flat black has been applied to those interior surfaces of the parts, I will paint the exterior exposed surfaces with Rustoleum Hammered Finished spray paint.

Mel

Edited by dawsonian2000 (05/16/12 06:40 PM)

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: saemark30]
      #5224149 - 05/15/12 08:40 PM

Quote:

Is this a coated lens?

I purchased my 6" f/10 lens uncoated from Surplus Shed. But, I later had it coated by Majestic Optical Coatings.

Mel

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

#5225150 - 05/16/12 01:29 PM

That looks awesome.
BTW have you ronchi tested the lens?

I need/want to get a 6"+ optical flat for that purpose.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers objective new [Re: saemark30]
      #5225647 - 05/16/12 06:17 PM

I had Fred at Surplus Shed performed a Ronchi test of my lens set before purchasing it. The test revealed straight evenly spaced lines.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5225684 - 05/16/12 06:39 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

After twenty-Four hours to allow the primer to fully cure, I applied two coats of flat black spray enamel to the crayford focuser holder (on the left) and backplate (on the right). The coats are still wet in this image. I will let the paint cure and out-gas for a couple of days.

On tomorrow, I will be cleaning and priming the transition ring.

Mel

Edited by dawsonian2000 (05/16/12 06:42 PM)

mikey cee
Postmaster

#5226213 - 05/17/12 01:52 AM

Aaaahhh I can just smell those paint fumes Mel. Sometimes I wished I had purchased the 6" f/10 version. But in the end it wouldn't have worked out as well as a low wide field finder on my setup. Everything has a place and a purpose I guess. Mike

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5227352 - 05/17/12 08:02 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Quote:

Aaaahhh I can just smell those paint fumes Mel. Sometimes I wished I had purchased the 6" f/10 version. But in the end it wouldn't have worked out as well as a low wide field finder on my setup. Everything has a place and a purpose I guess. Mike

Yeah! I am still giddy after succumbing to those fumes!

Wew! Once I recovered, I prepped and primed the transition objective cell support ring. Oh oh!... I am getting giddy again!

Mel

DougMcK
journeyman

Reged: 05/17/12

#5228351 - 05/18/12 01:14 PM

f/10 or f/15 ????

Greetings all. I'm being very tempted by the sale at SS to build either the f/10 or f/15 6" version. If I go f/15 I reckon I will fold the design, with the attendant complications.

My question is, with everyone's experience here, which focal ratio is the "best" overall choice. I think I know what the factors are, I'm just looking for people's best guesses of which way I should go.

Best regards
Doug

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: DougMcK]
      #5228424 - 05/18/12 02:04 PM

My question is should I buy the SS 6" 2nd's?

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5228765 - 05/18/12 06:58 PM

Quote:

f/10 or f/15 ????

My question is, with everyone's experience here, which focal ratio is the "best" overall choice. I think I know what the factors are, I'm just looking for people's best guesses of which way I should go.

Hi Doug,

My first preference was an f/15. But after not wanting to fold the fast system to make it travel worthy, I decided to go with the f/10. I would have loved to snag the f/15 otherwise.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: saemark30]
      #5228788 - 05/18/12 07:17 PM

Hey Mark!

I think if I were in the market to build one of these scopes and all that was left were seconds, I would considering taking the plunge. The only difference for the most part would be minor edge chips, which generally are masked by the retainer ring. And if the chips are minor, then a Ronchi test performed by someone, be it by yourself, SS, or another source with good results would be great. But in any case, if it turns out that you do not like the lens, Fred at Surplus Shed has a great return policy.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5228806 - 05/18/12 07:36 PM Attachment (70 downloads)

Left to Right: Here is a photo of the Crayford Focuser Support Collimation Ring, Focuser Backplate, Len Cell Support Transition Ring, Lens Retainer Ring, and Objective/ Lens Cell. I have completed flocking the parts with flat black spray enamel to specific internal light path surfaces. Once the flat black paint has cured and out-gassed completely, I will remove the tape from the areas I did not want flocked. Tape will then be added to the flocked areas to protect them, and to sections I do not want any paint on. Next, hammered finish paint will be applied to the areas with not tape.

Mel

DougMcK
journeyman

#5228914 - 05/18/12 09:09 PM

Hmm, I think I'm leaning towards making a folded f/15. If I'm going to the trouble of building something a bit unusual, why not make it "epic"?

What's the best way to source parts for a cell, do you think?

regards
Doug

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5229564 - 05/19/12 11:54 AM

Good decision, Doug! As for the cell, it depends on your preference. The original Jaegers cell for their 6" objectives were not adjustable. But, if you want a collimation cell, perhaps commercial providers like D&G can assist. Another possibility would be Crawford Machining. As you may know already, I had my cell custom made by Eric Moerman from my own design. He lives in Belgium. I will touch base with Eric to see if he is interested in making more of these cells, and for pricing. Additional, their are quite a few machinist on CN that may be of help also.

Mel

martym

#5231166 - 05/20/12 04:01 PM

Hello Doug,

I folded my 6-15 and I did'nt have complications; I am very satisfied with the image. I got the 4 inch flat from Nova Optical, as I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread.

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5231193 - 05/20/12 04:21 PM Attachment (47 downloads)

Left to Right: The collimation Crayford Focuser Support Ring, Focuser Backplate and collimation Lens Cell Transition Support Ring with their coats of Rustoleum Hammered Finish paint as they dry out on my patio. They will sit out there until sunset. Then, I will move them to my garage to out-gas for as long as it takes for them to fully cure. The tape will be remove in a couple of days.
It takes quite a while for this type of paint to harden. But once it does, it will form a thick textured hard coating.

My next task will be to determine the exact focal length of the objective. Once this has been established, the Ray Trace diagram will be laid out.

Mel

DougMcK
journeyman

#5231452 - 05/20/12 08:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. The Nova flat was likely what I would use.

Mel, I would be interested to know if your contact, Eric, in Belgium would be willing to make another cell, and for how much.
Are you happy with yours? What was his delivery time, roughly.

rgds,
Doug

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5231509 - 05/20/12 09:00 PM

Doug,

I sent Eric a message and I am waiting on his reply. The last time I touch base with him he was on vacation.

Eric fabricated all of the cell components from designs I sent him. I can not be more happier. The pieces were machined to perfection. I was a bit apprehensive about how the retainer ring lens cell was going to fit, but Eric assured me it would. I could not believe how precise he machined these parts! The work was done so well that I was considering having the parts anodized, but my budget restricted me from doing so. It truly pained me to paint them as I did.

As for the amount of time it took, I had Eric take his time because I was not in a hurry to get the pieces. So this is a question he would have to answer.

Well, I hope he will contact me ASAP. I also sent him the link to this thread, so I hope he will respond soon.

Mel

DougMcK
journeyman

#5234071 - 05/22/12 01:36 PM

Looks like I'm now going the f/10 route! It seems that SS sold out of the f/15 seconds.
The f/10 is on order so I'm committed to the project now!
Doug

martym

#5234184 - 05/22/12 02:50 PM

Doug, I think you'll be happy with the f/10 as long as you don't push the magnification. I have a Burgess 5" f/8 which is going to approximate the CA of your 6-10 and the image is just fine down to an exit pupil of 1mm. I mostly use it with a 2.7mm exit pupil and I see no CA at all with medium mags; and there's plenty of light in the image.

marty

DougMcK
journeyman

#5235046 - 05/23/12 12:46 AM

Marty, thanks for the feedback. I've mostly used reflectors of various configurations, and so I'm curious to see how I find working with a bit of CA.
doug

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5238936 - 05/25/12 12:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback guys. The Nova flat was likely what I would use.

Mel, I would be interested to know if your contact, Eric, in Belgium would be willing to make another cell, and for how much.
Are you happy with yours? What was his delivery time, roughly.

rgds,
Doug

Hi Doug,

Here is what I received from Eric Moerman regarding his pricing to to make the same components he fabricated for me. This price would be for both the complete adjust lens cell and adjustable focuser backplate. I will PM his email address to you so you can discuss further. Perhaps, you just may want the adjustable lens cell made, which would reduce your overall price. I would also be happy to help in anyway I can with your design, etc.

Quote:

Normaly when somebody is asking me to make some parts i always do it this way;
Im asking the price for the material i need to pay at my work and then i aske 15 euro/hour,thats 19.15$/hour.
I always give a idee how long it will take to make some parts so people know around how much it will cost.
I have worked around 19 h total on your parts .
If he wants something the same as your parts it will be 200$ material+ (19$*19h=361$) =561$
I think with shipping and everything you can count 1 to 1.5 mont to make them.

Mel

DougMcK
journeyman

#5240372 - 05/26/12 09:28 AM

Hi Mel,
Do you have any drawings or sketches of the cell design in a form that are available to post or email? I'd like to understand what it involves.
My first inclination is to think that's a bit painfully expensive (though one-off stuff isn't ever cheap I suppose)...
regards
Doug

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5241464 - 05/26/12 10:50 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

Hi Doug,

Yes, I have the designs for my cell that I sent to Eric. In bitmap format, they are quite large in size. But, I have also saved them in JPEG format, which is smaller in size, yet the detail is still preserved. I am posting the designs, but I can also email them in better quality.

The first diagram is of the Lens Cell...

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5241466 - 05/26/12 10:52 PM Attachment (46 downloads)

The next design is of the the Rear Lens Cell/ Transition Ring...

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5241467 - 05/26/12 10:53 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

Next is the Focuser Backplate design diagram...

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5241481 - 05/26/12 11:07 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

Oops! I nearly forgot! Here is a design rendering showing a closed and cross-section look at the lens cell and transition ring components.

Again... I can email you the original large size design diagrams if you like. If you decide to use these designs, please revise the measurements according to your build parameters.

Mel

martym

#5243412 - 05/28/12 09:00 AM

Pretty nice drawings, Mel.
I don't take so much time with my plans, I just draw them out on paper full scale, using a roll of 30" wide kraft paper from Home Depot used for laying on the floor for construction or painting. I just tape it down on the shop desk and draw the thing out the lazy way.
By the time I took to learn AutoCad I could probally have the project built. I know engineering students take several classes in college to use AutoCad to it's potential.

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5246413 - 05/29/12 09:27 PM

Thanks Marty! The drawings (made using MS Paint) were created for Eric to fab my lens cell and focuser mounting components. But, I am also going to make a ray trace diagram (to scale) to aid me in bringing all the components together, as I have done with my other refractor projects. Now that I have determined that the focal length of the objective is exact 60" from its rear surface, it will be a cinch to establish the overall main tube length and layout of the four baffles.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5248184 - 05/30/12 11:11 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

The focuser holder ring, focuser backplate, and lens cell support/ transition ring completed after being spray painted with Rustoleum black hammer finished paint. NOW... with components complete, I can move on to producing the race trace.

Note: The lens cell is not in this photo, but it has already been painted solely using flat black enamel spray paint.

Mel

martym

#5248529 - 05/31/12 09:11 AM

Looks good Mel. You mentioned letting the paint outgass before further construction, and I have done that myself with painted OTA parts. A good way to hurry it up I found was placing the parts in the attic for a few days and just letting them bake up there. When I take them out after 5 or so days all the smell is gone.

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5248710 - 05/31/12 11:34 AM

Excellent suggestion, Marty! I think I will do that for the main tube. At present, I have the painted lens and focuser components in my garage, which gets quite hot here in FL between noon and dusk. So, doing as you suggest, I will put the tube in attic for faster curing and out gassing once I paint it.

Mel

martym

#5252604 - 06/02/12 09:16 PM

Well, as long as your making the OTA to fit the lens F/L you may consider giving yourself enough in-travel to use a pair of binos in the future. My Denk II's have about 121mm of optical path lenght inside the device, plus the optical path that a 2" diagonal will use up. Most off-the-shelf refractors don't have enough in travel to use binos in a diagonal without requiring an extra lens to extend the prime focus; and binos in a refractor without a 90 degree diagonal just isn't going to be pleasant. My 6" lens has plenty of light to feed my binos to my complete satisfaction. So as long as your cutting your own tube, it's a lot easier to make an extra long 2" draw tube to go into the focuser to reach focus using one eyepiece and then use a much shorter drawtube to use with a diagonal and binos. If you spend some time viewing through a good pair of perfectly collimated binos, you may not want to return to single eye viewing again. I like my Denks, but Earthwin is making binos as good or better and less cost.

marty

gmazza
sage

Reged: 03/10/09

Loc: RS, Brazil, 29S 51W
      #5276116 - 06/17/12 07:58 PM

Just a question:

Seeing your cell design looks you used 0.150 inch = 3.81 millimeters for the flanges to retain the lens.

is it really necessary to lose all of this aperture for a good support ?

Jim Curry
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
      #5278460 - 06/19/12 09:16 AM

Mel:

I've been following your build since this thread started. You're doing a great job.

On cutting the tube to length, on two OTA's I built I made up a sled similar to what you did. I use second hand focusers, in my case Astro Physics 2.7" with 4" of travel and mount it on a backplate and rotating ring as if I were going to mount to tube OTA. Not having an interest in bino's I set the focuser with diagonal and eyepiece on the sled with the focuser tube in the mid position ie: 2" of travel either way. I slide that focuser assembly to focus on something 1/4 mile away and measure from the back of the lens mounting ring to the front of the backplate. That's the length I cut my OTA to. I'm wondering if a focuser with 4" of travel would allow you find a position to use a bino or a diagonal without extensions?

Regards,
Jim

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5281404 - 06/20/12 09:50 PM

Hey Marty,

Sorry I am just getting back to the thread to read your notes. I will have to strongly consider incorporating a binoviewer in the scheme of my build. Switching between the two setups is an easy proposition.

I was hoping to get the race trace done of recent, but other family matters took precedence. So, once I get the opportunity to resume, my plans may ultimately change to a binoviewer setup.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #5281423 - 06/20/12 10:02 PM

Hi Jim!

Thanks for the kind words! Great points and notes, as well!

A binoviewer is still a tossup effort in my mind. But the idea is certainly calling me. For the moment, my project is on hold until I get through some home front matters. In any case, I like the method you used for determining your tube length.

I see that you will be using an Astro Physics 2.7" focuser! I have one of these focusers too, but I will be using mine for a 6" f/5 refractor project; to be executed after the 6" f/10 build.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: gmazza]
      #5281429 - 06/20/12 10:09 PM

Hey gmazza!

Is this a question for me or Marty?

Mel

gmazza
sage

#5281830 - 06/21/12 06:24 AM

Quote:

Hey gmazza!

Mel

Hi Mel,

The question is for you, I am buiding a cell for the 108mm 8.5 and don't know the measure to be used in the retaining ring.

Best

Gustavo

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #5283636 - 06/22/12 11:02 AM

Quote:

. I'm wondering if a focuser with 4" of travel would allow you find a position to use a bino or a diagonal without extensions?

Regards,
Jim

Yes it will but you have to measure everything very accurately and have a binoviewer/diagonal combination with a reasonnable optical path length.

Notice that when you unscrew the 2" adapter from the end of the AP's draw tube and rack it all the way in, the end of the draw tube will retract at least an inch into the body of the focuser. That allows you to add one of AP's threaded extensions to the draw tube to maximize the amount of travel to ~5.5". The Denks with the power switch consumes about 5" of optical path length. That's enough total travel to allow allow me to use my Denk II with the power switch and the AP diagonal without the need for a seperate extension tube. However, that does not leave a whole lot of room for extra in and out travel, which, in turn, may limit your eyepiece selection.

The Lumicon mirror and Baeder prisim diagonals have a shorter shorter path lengths than the AP diagonal and can provide a bit more travel capability.

Hope this is usefull.

Jeff

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: gmazza]
      #5284458 - 06/22/12 09:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey gmazza!

Mel

Hi Mel,

The question is for you, I am buiding a cell for the 108mm 8.5 and don't know the measure to be used in the retaining ring.

Best

Gustavo

Hi Gustavo,

Actually, if you were to divide the .150" in half, you would get .075", which will translate into being the retainer intrusion supporting the edge of the objective. And my clear aperture will be 6" exactly. This is the same measurements as built into the standard Jaegers cells. I hope this clarifies the matter.

As for your 108mm f/8.5 objective, I would think that a .050" to .075" retainer lip would work for you.

Mel

gmazza
sage

#5284871 - 06/23/12 07:55 AM

thank you, that question was being difficult to find.

Best

Gustavo

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5386466 - 08/25/12 02:49 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

With much of my major family matters out of the way, I was able to resume work on the Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 refractor. I won't bore you with all of the intricate steps I went through to get to this point, for it will be covered on my website once the project is complete.

As you may recall, the last thing I posted on my efforts was the painting of the lens cell and focuser support components.

Skipping over much of the fluff on how I got to this point, here is a photo of the main tube being cut. The method I used produces a very smooth and perpendicular edge, even though I cut it with a hacksaw.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5386478 - 08/25/12 02:55 PM Attachment (36 downloads)

After the main tube and dew shield were cut to size, I drilled all of the holes to attached the lens cell and focuser support components. I then performed a test fit of the parts for the OTA to surmise the end result; to a degree. Here is a shot of that effort.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5386487 - 08/25/12 03:02 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

The test fit went off without a hitch. Next, I established the location of the baffles and then drew them onto the race trace, as seen in the photo below. I plan to cut the baffles out on tomorrow, weather permitting. With Tropical Storm Isaac on its way, I do not know for sure which direction it may take. So the baffle cutting on tomorrow is tentative, to say the least.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5386693 - 08/25/12 05:14 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

We have lost a legend in the annals of space exploration. Neil Armstrong passed on today at the age of 82. He will be honored and missed greatly.

Rest in piece, Mr. Armstrong! May your footsteps in heaven be as fulfilling as those you have placed on the moon.

Mel

martym

#5387107 - 08/25/12 09:56 PM

That's a nice aestheic lenght on that dew shield, Mel.

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5387241 - 08/25/12 11:46 PM

Quote:

That's a nice aestheic lenght on that dew shield, Mel.

marty

Hey Marty,

The camera actually made the dew shield look quite long in comparison to the main tube. But not by a great amount. The next photo I take, I hope it portray the scope in true proportion. I believe my point-n-shoot has some pin-cushioning.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5400174 - 09/02/12 08:49 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

Today, I completed the baffle rack for the Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 refractor. Below is a photo. It just has to be flocked. Being different from most other baffle racks, it is unique in that the individual baffles were cut from a sheet of .250" thick Lexan (polycarbonate); which I purchased on eBay for a fantastic price. Typically, most ATM's make theirs from aluminum sheet. Lexan is very tough. It is also lighter than aluminum.

The four baffles were fabricated with a Bosch model 1608 laminate trimmer. The trimmer is basically a small router. In conjunction with the trimmer, I used two different Jasper router circle guides to make accurate cuts. A model 200 jig was used to cut out the circumference of each baffle from the sheet of Lexan, and the model 400 to cut out the knife-edge inner circles using a carbide v-groove router bit.

Edited by dawsonian2000 (09/02/12 09:29 PM)

martym

#5400951 - 09/03/12 12:01 PM

Very nice Mel,

I wanted to FYI that you can get a 6 foot 1/4"-20 threaded aluminum rod from McMaster-Carr for $8.91. Or 5/16"-18 aluminum rod for $14.07.
Matching aluminum nuts and washers are also available from the same source.
McMaster-Carr never exploits the customer on shipping costs and usally ships same day. They are located in Atlanta, GA.
I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years for both ATM and other machining projects; never been unhappy with the shipping costs or service, web site is very user friendly, much easier to navigate than Grainger.

marty

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5401041 - 09/03/12 12:55 PM

Doc, that baffle assembly is first rate. I'm looking into baffling my 12" f/5 reflector with a set of four to be mounted inside the tube. That looks to be an exceptional piece of work. Another great instrument in the making! Bambina! :

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5401550 - 09/03/12 05:51 PM

Quote:

Very nice Mel,

I wanted to FYI that you can get a 6 foot 1/4"-20 threaded aluminum rod from McMaster-Carr for $8.91. Or 5/16"-18 aluminum rod for $14.07.
Matching aluminum nuts and washers are also available from the same source.
McMaster-Carr never exploits the customer on shipping costs and usally ships same day. They are located in Atlanta, GA.
I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years for both ATM and other machining projects; never been unhappy with the shipping costs or service, web site is very user friendly, much easier to navigate than Grainger.

marty

Hi martym,

Thanks for suggesting McMaster-Carr as an means of purchasing the aluminum threaded rod. I, too, have done business with them for quite some time. I even have a link to their website from my own. I could have went with the aluminum rods, but I decided to go with the zinc-plated ones instead. In any case, I will be priming and painting them with flat black, which should suffice in this application; let alone the cost savings.

Thanks again,

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5415385 - 09/11/12 02:18 PM Attachment (63 downloads)

Slowly, efforts are continuing to move forward with the Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 refractor build in the priming of the baffle rack. A simple process to say the least.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5415393 - 09/11/12 02:22 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

Next, I applied Krylon ultra-flat black enamel spray paint. I like the fact that the Krylon paint has what they call "Fusion Technology" which leans to better adhesion to plastic substrates. This is great thing since my baffles are made from Lexan (polycarbonate).

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5472571 - 10/16/12 12:13 AM

It has been another long stretch of time since I have posted updates on the construction of my 6". Nevertheless, I have made some progress. Of late, I have finished flocking the interior of the 8" dew shield using a unique method. Basically, I used Rustoleum Truck Bed aerosol coating as my base coat, because it delivered a textured substrate. This textured base coat provided a great polymer surface for the application of Krylon (Camouflage) ultra-flat black spray enamel. What's cool is that it has what Krylon calls "Fusion Technology"; meaning it bonds to plastic more readily. Unfortunately, I did not have enough of the Krylon Camouflage paint to apply a second coat, so when I went to purchase another can of the paint, there was none available. But, I found an alternative I thought I would try. It turns out that Rustoleum also has a camouflage brand of flat black paint. It turned out quite well. Interestingly, I found it to be even darker that the Krylon, which has quite the reputation! Ummm! I will post a photo later.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5473326 - 10/16/12 01:33 PM Attachment (62 downloads)

Here are some photos of the dew shield with its flocking completed. In my experience, the Rustoleum Camouflage flat black spray enamel topped the Krylon Camo in sheer light absorption capability! Next step will be the painting of it. But, before I do that, I must sand and prep the main tube for painting as well.

Mel

martym

#5474649 - 10/17/12 08:46 AM

That's a very interesting and usefull bit of ATM info; thanks, Mel

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5482347 - 10/21/12 05:14 PM

Thanks Marty! Good to see someone's keeping watch.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5482385 - 10/21/12 05:34 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

With fantastically pleasant weather being witnessed here in Riverview, FL, I took advantage and finished sanding the main tube for the 6" f/10 in preparation for priming and painting. As with the dew shield, I went through three successively finer grits (80, 220, and 600) of sanding material to get the tube smooth enough. The end result turned out beautifully! Here's a photo.

Mel

martym

#5484308 - 10/22/12 08:49 PM

Great Mel, now reward yourself for the effort by going to McDonalds and getting CBO 1/3 pound burger!!!

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5484501 - 10/22/12 11:17 PM

Nope! I think I will go for the gusto and get the infamous McDonalds' "Happy Meal"!

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5649486 - 01/28/13 11:29 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

Sorry for the delay. I am happy to report that work has resumed on the Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 refractor build with the priming of the main tube (see photo below)! The holes with threads have been protected from paint with circular wedges of painters tape.

On tomorrow, I will be priming the Dew Shield. It is my wish to begin painting the primed tubes over the weekend. Let's see if my plans hold up.

Mel

martym

#5677168 - 02/13/13 07:54 AM

Looks like you will be finishing up soon. Congrats. Maybe you may want to bring the GJD up to the Chiefland,Fl observing field to show it off. Our site: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/chieflandobservers/
mention my name to the moderator if you want to visit as a guest.

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5681148 - 02/15/13 10:55 AM

Hey Marty,

If other matters stop getting in the way, I would have had this scope finished a long time ago. But, I am a very patient man.

BTW - I attended the Chiefland Winter Star Party back in 2010. On that visit, I brought out my 10" fork mounted Newtonian and Carton 4" f/13 refractor. I hope to get back out to their site to showcase the GJD 6" f/10 Jaeger refractor as well. I just have to find some time to get her done!!!!

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5699665 - 02/25/13 11:12 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Finally!!! One more baby step... Here is the painted dew shield. I hope to start painting the main tube before weeks end.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5699677 - 02/25/13 11:19 AM

Hey Marty,

It just so happens that I was at the Winter Star Party at Chiefland in November of 2010. On that occasion, I brought out my 10" fork mounted "Gary Barabino" Newtonian and the "Mary Dawson" 100/1300 Carton refractor. I had a fantastic time. I look forward to getting the "GJD" refractor up there soon under those awesome skies Chiefland has; if only I can get this project done.

Mel

martym

#5703625 - 02/27/13 02:34 PM

That's good you're making progress. Actually the best time of the year in Chiefland in my opinion is comming up in March, April, and May. We usually have some dry air overhead and the temperature isn't so cold as in winter; plus you get the leftovers of Orion and company in the early night, then galaxy season comming up in the east later when the air is best and the nearby light domes get lower after midnight.

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5718441 - 03/07/13 01:29 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

I might just have the 6" ready at that time! I would love to bring it up there during that time of the year.

I made more progress this afternoon in painting the main tube for the GJD 6" f/10 Jaegers refractor! Below is a photo.

!!! C O R R E C T I O N !!! - In my last post, I said I was at the Chiefland "Winter Star Party". It was actually the "Fall Star Party" of 2010. Sorry for the error.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5719492 - 03/07/13 10:09 PM

After several hours after painting the main tube, I checked the curing and found that it is going to take a great deal of time due to the cool weather. Nearly three hours had gone by and the paint was still quite tacky.

Additionally, I painted the dew shield nearly two weeks ago and it is still out-gassing! Since I typically wait for my painted components to out-gas completely before assembly, I hope the temperature will rise to at least the 70's soon so the components can cure faster.

Mel

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
      #5720383 - 03/08/13 11:58 AM

Once they are not tacky. I use the sun to harden the paint. Smaller pieces go in the oven at about 150-170 deg. it will outgas and harden the paint very quickly.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: bremms]
      #5720399 - 03/08/13 12:10 PM

I started using catalyzed automotive paint about 25 years ago. With accellerators you can get it dry to the touch in as little as ten minutes, and it's a durable surface. Sure beats watching paint dry...

Nice color!

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #5721284 - 03/08/13 09:53 PM

Mel, I'm glad to see that you're back in the game!! I can't wait to get back to Riverview for some good observing this year. I'm hoping that your 6" f/10 is as good optically as advertised. Good Luck
. Looking forward to more posts on your work my brother. That 6" f/10 Jaegers will be an AWESOME instrument. Clear Skies, GB/VSC-1

Edited by BarabinoSr (03/08/13 09:56 PM)

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5722903 - 03/09/13 07:56 PM

Great recommendation, bremms! I have done the same with other components I have painted during the fall and winter seasons. Since the tube is now much easier to to handle, I will consider letting the tubes do a little sun bathing to get it outgassed much sooner. Getting that rock hard finish is a must.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #5722908 - 03/09/13 07:58 PM

Hey that may be an option for my next project, Chuck! Waiting for paint to dry can make the best us loose valuable patience.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: BarabinoSr]
      #5722954 - 03/09/13 08:32 PM

Quote:

Mel, I'm glad to see that you're back in the game!! I can't wait to get back to Riverview for some good observing this year. I'm hoping that your 6" f/10 is as good optically as advertised. Good Luck
. Looking forward to more posts on your work my brother. That 6" f/10 Jaegers will be an AWESOME instrument. Clear Skies, GB/VSC-1

Thanks Bam! Getting to this point was difficult with all of the other matters I have been dealing with. But, I am getting it all done, and I consider it a blessing.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5735123 - 03/15/13 10:19 PM

UPDATE: I checked the tubes today and their outgassing is nearly complete. I will give them another week or two. Then, I hope to get assembly on the road.

Mel

martym

#5740219 - 03/18/13 08:25 AM

Mel, it may prove more difficult assembling the GJD while traveling down the highway then doing a stationary build in a garage. LOL

marty

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5741598 - 03/18/13 08:06 PM

True, true...

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5751134 - 03/23/13 02:23 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

I accomplished another baby step in the build of the GJD refractor. With the out-gassing of the main tube and dew shield nearly complete, I performed a test fit of the two tubes along with the hammer-finished painted transition piece to see how the components would fit together. I was impressed with the fit and trim of partial assembly! Here is a shot of the assembly from a short distance. It will be disassembled for further out-gassing of the tubes.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5751136 - 03/23/13 02:24 AM Attachment (29 downloads)

...here is a closer view. Considering the tubes were painted by means of a spray can, the finish turned out great!

Mel

neo
Carpal Tunnel

#5751512 - 03/23/13 10:37 AM

Superb looking refractor , very nice finish!
Why so much out-gassing though? Do you think it could damage the lens?

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 Refractor Build (VSC) new [Re: neo]
      #5752721 - 03/23/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

Superb looking refractor , very nice finish!
Why so much out-gassing though? Do you think it could damage the lens?

Hi neo!

No, I do not think it would damage the objective at all. The reason I am allowing so much time to allow the tube to out-gas is because it develops a rock hard finish. Over the years, I have noticed that even though my painted projects are dry to the touch, the durability of the paint has the consistency of hard rubber in density. Therefore, being a very patient individual allows me to let the tube fully out-gas until I can hardly smell any fumes emanating from its surface. I hope this clarifies my reasons for thorough out-gassing.

Mel

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5753097 - 03/24/13 01:16 AM

Yes, Spray paint takes weeks without baking to harden. Paint is soft, adhesion is poor. two part paints are great but you need a gun to put them on.

neo
Carpal Tunnel

#5753296 - 03/24/13 05:44 AM

Aha now it makes sence . Thanks Mel for clarification. Didn't know that spray paint takes so much to cure .

Once again gorgeous looking scope!

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5754308 - 03/24/13 03:35 PM

You are quite welcome, neo! I guess it all depends on how you are going to use the painted item. If an item is handled little, I can see you putting it to work within a week after painting. But, since a refractor's tube is handled quite a bit during a normal observing session, I presume letting the tube out-gas as long as a month or more; depending on temperature and humidity conditions.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5759173 - 03/26/13 09:00 PM

Quote:

Yes, Spray paint takes weeks without baking to harden. Paint is soft, adhesion is poor. two part paints are great but you need a gun to put them on.

Hey bremms!

I wish I had the right setup to do a great two-part paint job. Epoxy base paints are fast curing and ultra hard.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5783288 - 04/07/13 08:27 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

With the main tube's out-gassing complete, I purchased and test fitted all of the hardware on the lens cell and focuser components, which both will possess collimation capability. Most of the hardware is metric-M6, with the exception of the Phillips-head screws attaching the focuser to its collimation ring being metric-M5's. All are stainless steel.

My next step will be to make a pair of handles for maneuvering the scope.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5791159 - 04/10/13 07:57 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Using some scrap pieces of 3/4" solid red oak, I fabricated a couple of supports for the stainless steel bar handles that will be attached opposite one another at the focuser end of the main tube for maneuvering the scope. For better stability of the bar handles, I drilled recessed holes in the oak supports for them to sit in. Once I have sanded the oak supports and seal them with marine-grade spar varnish, the assemblies will be mounted to the main tube from the inside.

Mel

martym

#5791863 - 04/11/13 07:50 AM

Yes, I like the idea of grab handles on a refractor. I also put one on my 6" f/15 folded refractor and my 5" f/8 refract.

marty

neo
Carpal Tunnel

#5791972 - 04/11/13 09:19 AM

Looking good Mel!

I almost forgot about a handle on my baby Jaegers . I have to do something about it while I still can

mikey cee
Postmaster

#5792096 - 04/11/13 10:50 AM

Yeah Mel you gotta' have grab handles on a refractor. It's the law of the land! Mike

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5792249 - 04/11/13 12:18 PM

I feel left out. None of mine have handles. I just finished a 5" F5 refractor Originally designed with a Jaegers lens. I had a cemented 130mm dia Melles Griot Achro with about the same FL. Writing on the side indicated it was 10/20 scratch dig and better than 1/3 wavefront P-V. It has slightly better images than the Jaegers. The image is also brighter since it has 97.5% transmission 500-700nm and The Jaegers is uncoated and air spaced. So it ends up about 82%. Both lenses are good for an F5.
My 6" F10 is next!
Here is a link to a picture of my 5" F5 "The Stump"
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/5789322-stump.jpg

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5793595 - 04/12/13 12:05 AM

Quote:

Yes, I like the idea of grab handles on a refractor. I also put one on my 6" f/15 folded refractor and my 5" f/8 refract.

marty

Grab handles are !!! When I thought about having to maneuver the GJD, it came to mind that the tube (being 7" inches in diameter) would be difficult to grasp with one hand. I think I will add some to my 4" f/13 and 5" f/9.4 too.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5793601 - 04/12/13 12:08 AM

Quote:

Looking good Mel!

I almost forgot about a handle on my baby Jaegers . I have to do something about it while I still can

Get those handles, neo! You'll be glad you did!

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5793603 - 04/12/13 12:10 AM

Quote:

Yeah Mel you gotta' have grab handles on a refractor. It's the law of the land! Mike

Hey Mikey! I even thought about a steering wheel!

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5793693 - 04/12/13 01:35 AM

Quote:

I feel left out. None of mine have handles. I just finished a 5" F5 refractor Originally designed with a Jaegers lens. I had a cemented 130mm dia Melles Griot Achro with about the same FL. Writing on the side indicated it was 10/20 scratch dig and better than 1/3 wavefront P-V. It has slightly better images than the Jaegers. The image is also brighter since it has 97.5% transmission 500-700nm and The Jaegers is uncoated and air spaced. So it ends up about 82%. Both lenses are good for an F5.
My 6" F10 is next!
Here is a link to a picture of my 5" F5 "The Stump"
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/5789322-stump.jpg

Hey Marc!

With scratch-dig and wavefront specs like those for your 130mm, handles would be the last thing I would be worried about being left out on. Do you still have this achro?

BTW - My next refractor is going to be a 6" f/5, but it is not a Jaegers achro (as far as I can tell). It is going to look much like "The Stump" in that it will also utilize the same model Astro-Physics R&P focuser. But, I am not sure as to when I am going to start the project, because I have a unique pillow-block EQ project that I will be doing after the 6" f/10 GJD refractor is done.

I look forward to seeing your 6" f/10 build! How soon will you be starting?

Mel

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5793798 - 04/12/13 04:43 AM

Looking professional as usual Mel! Now ya got me wantin' to stick handles on my 4.5 f/10 Jaegers. I also cant wait to follow progress on the mount. Superb! Bambina

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5794023 - 04/12/13 09:35 AM

Thanks G !

Speaking of Gary's EQ build, here is a link to it everyone can enjoy: Gary's Pillow-Block EQ Build Another great project indeed! Awesome job G !

Mel

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5794179 - 04/12/13 10:59 AM

The Melles Griot Achro has permanent place in the stump. I do still have the Jaegers which is pretty good and has better zone correction. I'm going to sell the Jaegers lens as I seem to have collected a bunch of Achros from 80mm to 150mm. I did get a 150mm 1000mm FL with the 130mm. The 150mm is a cemented Melles Griot as well but has no specs written on the side of the lens other than FL diameter and part#. It was a lens( both were) as the largest one in the catalogs is 101mm in diameter. I may have a pic of the 150mm on my phone

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5794186 - 04/12/13 11:03 AM Attachment (42 downloads)

Pic of the 150mm

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5794658 - 04/12/13 02:33 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Quote:

Once I have sanded the oak supports and seal them with marine-grade spar varnish.

I have changed my mind about painting the oak supports for the bar handles with spar varnish and decided to go with the same finish I used on the focuser back-plate and lens cell; Rustoleum's black hammered finish.

Mel

martym

#5795182 - 04/12/13 06:32 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

Hi Mel,
Speaking of pillow block EQ mounts here's a pic of one I built, but now I'm considering selling because I'm just not using it much now that I've gone to Diskmount type Alt/Az.

marty

martym

#5795195 - 04/12/13 06:45 PM

I think that your decision to paint the wood handle blocks with the same black paint that matches the other OTA componets will present a nice appearance.

marty

mikey cee
Postmaster

#5795492 - 04/12/13 10:15 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Mikey! I even thought about a steering wheel!

Mel

I heard someone's cage rattling when I was in the neighborhood awhile ago. Turns out it was you Mel ribbin' me about my "steering wheel". You try setting a scope of this size to your RA circle setting without it....can't be done 'cause you can't get a hold of the scope to reach the desired settings on the circle. They didn't put those things on there for looks....although it does look rather uptown if I do say so myself. I used stock pot handles for my grab handles. Got 'em at a restaurant supply house. Cheaper ones can be found in the grocery aisles too. Mike

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5795639 - 04/12/13 11:39 PM

Glad you approve of the black hammered finish, marty! I don't know why I didn't think of doing it in the first place. But, better late than too late.

Your pillow-block EQ is outstanding! I would give it some serious thought before selling. I bet you would truly miss it if you did. Are those Optic-Craft Machining drives on your EQ?

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5795688 - 04/13/13 12:10 AM

Quote:

I heard someone's cage rattling when I was in the neighborhood awhile ago. Turns out it was you Mel ribbin' me about my "steering wheel".

Far be it from me to rib anyone about a steering wheel on his or her scope, Mikey! Back in the 70's the University of New Orleans had a 6" f/15 Jaegers refractor with a cool steering wheel. Gary Barabino can attest to that. But, your pot handles are quite the innovation my friend. It just so happens that my stainless steel bar handles were salvaged from an old Raytheon rack mounted computer system back in the 80's. The things we ATMs do to build our scopes.

Mel

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5796068 - 04/13/13 07:15 AM

Mike, That is a nice job on your scope! Stock pot handles.... Very ingenious. Are those modded Jaegers focusers?

martym

#5796170 - 04/13/13 09:01 AM

There is a beautiful brass restored Brashear 6" refract displayed at the Smithsonian on the orginal EQ pier mount that has a circular grab handle very similar to a steering wheel. The whole instrument is a mechanical art work.

marty

mikey cee
Postmaster

#5796406 - 04/13/13 11:06 AM

Quote:

Mike, That is a nice job on your scope! Stock pot handles.... Very ingenious. Are those modded Jaegers focusers?

Yes they are Marc. The bigger focuser was just revamped lately to rotate at 12 click stops too. Makes it handier than undoing set screws also. Mike

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5796713 - 04/13/13 02:29 PM

We had a nice 6" Brashear at my university that had a wheel. It was really nice to control th long tube.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5799388 - 04/14/13 08:41 PM

Quote:

... I seem to have collected a bunch of Achros from 80mm to 150mm ...

Welcome to the club. I, too, have a vast collection of Acros and APOs ranging from 50mm to 152mm. The cream of the crop being an old school 152mm f/15 Fecker APO prototype.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5850602 - 05/09/13 06:22 PM

Not long from now, the GJD refractor will be completed! As always, I have had all sorts of matters that interfered with my efforts to finish this instrument. But, I hope to have the OTA ready on Mother's Day! It would be great to commemorate this memorable and rewarding project on this special day for my beloved. More coming soon...

Mel

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5850614 - 05/09/13 06:29 PM

Looking forward to the completion of the GJD refractor. Your workmanship is excellent on this scope as on the others you've built . Bambina

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5856535 - 05/12/13 11:05 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

With family visiting this weekend, I was not able to FULLY complete the VSC-SAO Jaegers GJD 6" f/10 refractor build as I had hoped. But, I managed to get the majority of the work done. I added the handles, flocking material and baffle rack. Also the focuser back-plate and crayford focuser. Followed by the installation of the transition piece/ bottom lens cell ring. All that remains is the cleaning and mounting of the Jaegers 6" f/10 achromat; installing it on the cell; an installing the dew shield. Then she will be ready for first light! Here is a shot as she stands ready to receive the objective.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms!!!

Mel

Edited by dawsonian2000 (05/13/13 11:28 AM)

martym

#5858198 - 05/13/13 06:11 PM

Real pretty Mel, real pretty. Good looking job.

marty

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5858459 - 05/13/13 08:03 PM

That is a nice job! I couldn't wait, put mine together with out any baffles and a temporary rear cell. I'll pull mine apart and finish the tube assy.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5858664 - 05/13/13 09:45 PM

Thanks, Marty! I still have to get the objective and dew shield installed.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5858678 - 05/13/13 09:50 PM

Thanks Marc! Even though I have baffles installed, I think the ProtoStar may have been sufficient for most uses. In any case, I think baffles are still a must. You can always add them later.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5863190 - 05/15/13 08:57 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Today, I unwrapped the Jaegers 6" f/10 elements to prepare them to have the spacer tabs installed. Here is a shot of the flint element and the spacer tabs facilitator template I made. I decided to go with six spacer tabs (spaced 60-degrees from one another along the flint elements edge) instead of the usual three. They should render better support the achromat during climate acclimation.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5863194 - 05/15/13 09:00 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Here is a photo showing the spacer tab facilitator template centered and attached to the flint element.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5863206 - 05/15/13 09:13 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Using the homemade spacer template I made, I was able to attach the spacer tabs to the edge of the flint easily at the prescribed 60-degree angle points. The tabs were cut a piece of aluminum duct tape that is approximately .0045" in thickness. Great for most lens element air-spacing applications.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel