Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
mark cowan
Vendor (Veritas Optics)

Reged: 06/03/05

Loc: salem, OR
Re: 17 inch spotplots new [Re: kfrederick]
      #5514775 - 11/11/12 04:48 PM

How well does it work, then????

Best,
Mark

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/01/08

Re: 17 inch spotplots new [Re: mark cowan]
      #5514807 - 11/11/12 05:10 PM

I have only used it one time I have some mechanical tweaking to do it focuses very nice . Just like using the newt . I need to do a mounting but the optical train is done . Very happy to see it focus

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

#5530811 - 11/20/12 06:49 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Took this pic with my cell phone with the 17inch chief

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

#5533735 - 11/22/12 10:55 AM

Making the top box took help first Mike gave us the zemax numbers then Dave O put them in oslo and in a 3d drawing .That my CNC water jet could make a file . Any mistake it would be hard to find . My goal was make everything on the top correct and not move it ever . Mike used the real numbers off my finished optics for the final distances and tilt and de center info. Dave O putting it in OSLO was great as it proved the first numbers were good . Having a working 20 f8 chief for 3.5 years I was sure the design would be easy to setup and it is . When you have a working one no one can tell me they do not work .The 17 Wide Band CHief is not much different than the 20 that ED designed . Only the corrector and secondary is fixed . EDs way of setting the mirrors is very powerfull and why the chief works .Be great if ED Mike or Dave would explain the design

Dave O
sage

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Sri Lanka
      #5534421 - 11/22/12 08:30 PM

lol -- I'll leave any 'explaining of the design' up to the Jones's and other optics experts ... I simply crunched numbers that were provided by Mike. Yes, verifying the numbers in OSLO was one way to help eliminate errors (and allow you and others to play with the design); but my OSLO skills are not sufficient to optimize this design to the level that Ed and Mike are capable of using ZEMAX.

Your idea of 'fixing' all the elements in the 'top box'; effectively reducing the number of variables to overcome in aligning the optics worked beyond my expectations ... putting it together and getting an image on the first go was a welcome surprise!

Looking forward to any further modifications in the mechanical portion of the design, as you continue to tweak it for optimal performance. Thanks for sharing.

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

Re: 17 inch spotplots new [Re: Dave O]
      #5534452 - 11/22/12 08:50 PM

Dave your work was great .With out it I would have failed . I owe you and Mike . Thanks

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

#5535016 - 11/23/12 08:38 AM

Took a risk as none of the optics had any value except for this CHief and if one mistake came up I would have little chance to find it out . So it was all or nothing .Sure glad it was all good .

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

#5539866 - 11/26/12 07:00 AM

Jupiter last night was very clear, in the 17 inch offaxis setup took 5 min It has the depth of focus of a f9 newt . Very happy with it .

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7602

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics