Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: A 1" Shaft diameter Pillow Block Mount Build new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5723759 - 03/10/13 12:01 PM Attachment (77 downloads)

I needed a brake on my RA only because I have a hand brake for my DEC near the eyepiece where I can adjust the needed drag. I merely used a modified exhaust pipe clamp that you can line the inner surface with wood, felt or any combination thereof. Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikey cee
Postmaster

#5723782 - 03/10/13 12:09 PM Attachment (72 downloads)

Here is a closer pic. Sorry for the soft focus which doesn't show the threaded rods. I found if I did't have a brake that the drive clutch could never handle the torque. Now when you move the scope back and forth in RA at 515x there is an "almost" an immediate response. A brake really does work and is definitely needed. Mike

neo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/12/08

Loc: Iasi, Romania
Re: A 1" Shaft diameter Pillow Block Mount Build new [Re: BarabinoSr]
      #5723913 - 03/10/13 01:27 PM

Quote:

Yep that is the plan neo. As a matter of fact,I will replace that shaft entirely with a new precision 30" x 1" diameter one and two new pillow blocks later in the build.
Do you guys recognize this?

Drooling already
Oh man, just don't stop from posting

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
      #5724191 - 03/10/13 04:17 PM

The exhaust clamp is a great idea! You probably needed one about the correct size for a Mack truck.

JimC

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Slidell La
Re: A 1" Shaft diameter Pillow Block Mount Build new [Re: Mirzam]
      #5724481 - 03/10/13 06:49 PM

Mikey you're correct if the instrument is as heavy as yours and the mount has a much heavier motor and drive system (BTW love that system youve got there). I see the slow motion control on your mount, and it does have a half sleeve positioned atop the RA axis, and this is the style I have planned for the dec. axis to provide slow motion .Later in the future I plan to add a declination drive to the mount. This RA Axis Byers Drive however has an excellent slip clutch and I see no need to add a slo mo to the RA axis of a mount this size. If the scopes used with it are balanced it should be fine as is.

Edited by BarabinoSr (03/10/13 06:53 PM)

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5724494 - 03/10/13 06:55 PM Attachment (72 downloads)

The rear clutch of the Byers unit.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5724579 - 03/10/13 07:33 PM Attachment (65 downloads)

Now comes the question- How will the drive be attached to the Right Ascension axis? This was done when I obtained two pieces of-yep,you guessed it- #6061 Aluminum plate 3/4" thick x 4" wide by 4" long, and also a 1 1/2" angle aluminum strip long as the width of the RA Axis Housing Plate.This was sent to me by my friend Mel. In this image you can see that the 9-inch gear has been mounted along with the plate that will hold the drive motor . This drive gear slid onto the RA shaft easily and is a great fit. No wobbliness at all! On the gear collar Mr Byers has mounted an allen screw to lock this gear to the shaft.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5724624 - 03/10/13 07:54 PM Attachment (55 downloads)

The under belly of the rear R.A Axis. You can see the angle bracket that is mounted on the rear of the RA axis.Two screws hold the bearings and angle to the plate assembly and two hold the motor support plate to the angle bracket. To make this efficient, I had to reduce the 3/4" thick plate to 4" in length, but in this image you can see that it is too long! In the lower left is the rear bolts of the cradle support brackets. (BTW it is not crooked;just looks that way!)

Edited by BarabinoSr (03/10/13 07:55 PM)

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5724666 - 03/10/13 08:09 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

This is the Right Ascension Axis assembly showing the drive plate and worm mount with assembly attached in place.This on the reflector pedestal.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5724693 - 03/10/13 08:22 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

Full Pedestal view with Declination axis attached. The loop screw was removed from it since this image was made.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5724709 - 03/10/13 08:31 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

Full Refractor pedestal view.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5724739 - 03/10/13 08:51 PM Attachment (48 downloads)

I had a couple of small nylon plastic pieces and utilizing the small aluminum strip left over from the downsizing of the Right Ascension axis, I built a declination slo motion control to allow easy and smooth movement . It was made from 2 pieces cut exacly alike that was designed to fit half the way over the shaft itself. Two 5-inch bolts on either side of the Dec. shaft itself,each long enough to go through the plate and locked into place with nuts and washers gives the required motions. You can also see the underside of the RA Axis Assembly. The 4.5" Jaegers is the scope in the cradle.

Edited by BarabinoSr (03/10/13 08:53 PM)

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5724761 - 03/10/13 09:08 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

Same mount on the reflector Pedestal carrying the 8 f/6 Hardin.This image shows the new 30" precision shaft and bearings I recently added . Testing will begin soon and the clock drive will soon be wired to go. Stay tuned!

mikey cee
Postmaster

#5724796 - 03/10/13 09:31 PM

See how all this is going to look right uptown? What's nice about pillow block mounts are the real basic beef parts are simple and quick to put together. Plus they have numerous places where you can add "stuff" without dealing with curved surfaces to tap into etc. Then when you coat them with a nice crinkle finish they do indeed look quite "industrial" and operate like it too! Yeah they aren't meant to be portable grab 'n goes they are for semi and permanent setups. It'll look first class Gary. Guess what Gary? Something tells me you aren't going to stop at one unit or 1" for that matter. I see more in your future. Mike

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5724872 - 03/10/13 10:46 PM

Mikey, you never know what what may happen down the road! This unit and its parts are far from completion however. I still have to construct a couple of three-wheeled tridollys for these pedestals to sit on so that I can roll the scope out to use, in addition to cleaning, priming and painting the main components. The amazing part about this project is the cost. The four pillow blocks cost about $40.00 (off of ebay) the pedestal pipe cost $60 plus tax and I bought it locally, and the three aluminum plates that comprise the axis assemblies and the cradle cost about $50.00, a very inexpensive way to build a high quality pillow block GEM. In fact, ebay was the source for just about everything involving this build.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
      #5725005 - 03/11/13 12:25 AM

Awesome build Gary!

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/26/06

Loc: Riverview, FL, USA
      #5725469 - 03/11/13 09:53 AM

Okay G , everything is looking awesome. But now let's get together so we can get this bad boy wired and powered up!

Mel

neo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/12/08

Loc: Iasi, Romania
Re: A 1" Shaft diameter Pillow Block Mount Build new [Re: dawsonian2000]
      #5726345 - 03/11/13 04:59 PM

Oh man I really like what I see, I really do!

I'm very qurious how one of these well built pillow block mounts would stand against one of those comercial monsters in terms of precision for imaging ? Of course with a drive like this Byers.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Re: A 1" Shaft diameter Pillow Block Mount Build new [Re: neo]
      #5726973 - 03/11/13 10:01 PM

Soon I will be removing part of the Right Ascension Axis utilizing the angle grinder. The plan is to take off enough of the overhang to leave 1 inch behind the Byers,and no change will be made to the Declination axis.

This mount can be made to even better tolerances than this and has great potential for very good precision astronomical applications.

Edited by BarabinoSr (03/11/13 10:03 PM)

mikey cee
Postmaster

#5727020 - 03/11/13 10:27 PM

Gary remember to leave a little more than you think you need. Because you can'r add it back on at least with out a splice! Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7040

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics