Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/27/06

Loc: Boise Idaho
Re: Making scopes out of camera lenses... new [Re: TONGKW]
      #6290580 - 01/03/14 10:06 PM

Awesome.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
evan9162

Reged: 09/20/13

Loc: Boise, ID
Re: Making scopes out of camera lenses... new [Re: mattyfatz]
      #6290819 - 01/03/14 11:56 PM

Quote:

Sure the images are inverted, but it was very clear and bright! (Daytime of course). The "adapter" is a taped up piece of PVC coupling, and the eyepiece is a 25mm Plossl. Of course no sooner was it complete, that the fog bank rolled in..
I guess that rule applies to pieced up junk scopes too.
Night time tests will be conducted soon.

More tinkering tomorrow. It was a big box of lenses

Sorry about the fog. I just had a couple of eyepieces delivered yesterday, and another one that should be here tomorrow. I'm ruining it for everyone in Boise.

On topic, I have a few M42 manual focus lenses that I've thought about doing this with. My plan is to simply machine an M42 female to 1.25" barrel adapter out of some aluminium round stock.

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Making scopes out of camera lenses... new [Re: evan9162]
      #6291050 - 01/04/14 03:25 AM

you should be sorry. ... Getting stuff delivered near a new moon...

At least post some pics in the eyepiece forum..

So M42 is the threaded rear cell type? I'm not a lens guru. I actually don't know where or when I acquired this box of lenses. I rummaged around but I couldn't find tubing that matched the diameter, hence the tape job. What do you use to machine threads of that diameter?

Edited by mattyfatz (01/04/14 03:30 AM)

evan9162

Reged: 09/20/13

#6291230 - 01/04/14 07:56 AM

Quote:

So M42 is the threaded rear cell type? I'm not a lens guru. I actually don't know where or when I acquired this box of lenses. I rummaged around but I couldn't find tubing that matched the diameter, hence the tape job. What do you use to machine threads of that diameter?

The generic threaded rear lens is usually an M42 (42mm x 1.0), also called a Pentax screw mount. It's pretty close to a T-thread, which is 42mm x 0.75.

I haven't made any adapters yet, but if/when I do, I will just be using an old mini-lathe I have. I've cut 1mm threads on it before. They aren't super great quality threads, but I think for this application, they would be fine.

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Making scopes out of camera lenses... new [Re: evan9162]
      #6291414 - 01/04/14 10:06 AM

I couldn't figure out how to mate that screw mount to an adapter. The t-mount available at surplus shed would work, but that kind of defeats my purpose of making these monoculars out of junk and spare parts. I'm sure your finished product will be more elegant than my examples. It's too bad PVC pipe doesn't come in metric.

mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
      #6292261 - 01/04/14 04:30 PM

Quote:

Search ebay and you'll find for a few bux adapters from M42 to just about anything else. You'll also find M42 extension tubes . All these already have M42 threads machined into them. Much easier to prototype stuff than starting from scratch.

woodscavenger
sage

Reged: 08/20/13

Re: Making scopes out of camera lenses... new [Re: mattflastro]
      #6293908 - 01/05/14 01:18 PM

Evan, I think i ruined the night sky that night as well when I had my new EPs delivered along with my need to test my prototype truss scope. I guess all three of us in Boise screwed it up.

Now I have a very capable workshop but the words metal lathe really caught my attention. That is a sweet resource. I hope to meet you at one of the star parties at Dedication.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 877

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics