Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: CabbageMS]
      #5509226 - 11/07/12 11:45 PM

Quote:

Oh brilliant... just trying to recover my money with Paypal, but because it's gone past 45 days they won't allow me to dispute it. The problem is when dealing with the US (I'm in the UK), things can quite feasibly take more than 6 weeks to arrive, so that is an annoying system Paypal have there.

It's concerning that their could still be people going onto that website and placing and payign for orders. It looks like i've lost my $90. :'(

Another good reason to H8 paypal, and avoid them when possible.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: barbarosa]
      #5509248 - 11/08/12 12:08 AM

Quote:

Scope City INC gets an F rating (the lowest).

hahah, I looked up Anacortes Telescope & Wild Bird the same owner of Astromart. Anacortes and Astromart both have an F rating. I'm sure Herb kicked someone without telling them why and then didn't respond to the BBB.

Astronomics has a A+ rating.

Astronomics has always been good go me, quick to respond to e-mails. Telescopes.com has been solid site too, I don't know if I ever paid for shipping there. Scopestuff has also been a good experience.

Just sucks there are a few bad sites out there that make an already expensive hobby more expensive or frustrating.

Jim

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5509256 - 11/08/12 12:17 AM

Quote:

Paypal is a pretty solid company. They don't fit everyone needs for sure, but they are a pretty safe and secure way to buy something online. It's not paypals fault scopecity sucks. They simply hold part of the sellers funds in a reserve for 45 days. With the exception of international in this case, that's typically long enough to get a shipment without something going wrong.

I'd never trust a money order with buying equipment online. That's WAY too scary for my blood.

cloud_cover
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/17/10

Loc: Restaurant at the End of the U...
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: jerwin]
      #5509289 - 11/08/12 01:09 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your fiasco.
So far the retailers I've used: Astronomics, OPTCorp, Agena have all been good and they don't take my money until the stock is physically in.
I hope the BBB manages to help you settle your case!

ozyrithm

Reged: 11/01/12

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5509497 - 11/08/12 08:09 AM

Quote:

Paypal is extremely buyer friendly in any case. If you really want to hate Paypal try running a business through it without getting eaten alive by unscrupulous chargebacks.

ozyrithm

Reged: 11/01/12

#5509520 - 11/08/12 08:28 AM

Quote:

I placed for and paid for my order at the end of July '12. So far I've had nothing to say it's been dispatched.

Sorry to hear that.

That last sentence is particularly distressing. Honestly, if a business can't give you a shipping confirmation and tracking number within 2-3 days at most, it's time to start to the process to dispute.

I've dealt with plenty of honest people selling things online for a living, from Buffalo to Tokyo. If a guy working out of his uncle's garage can handle those logistics, there's no reason anyone else can't.

Quote:

This site looks genuine enough but I can't get replies from them via the contact us form, the email address nor their phone number?

There was a time when the quality of a website could be a useful, but not necessarily accurate indicator of the legitimacy of a business. In today's highly frameworked, templated web it's easier to toss up a slick website than us a word processor.

Personally, I wish more vendors would sell through places like Amazon, letting them handle the fulfillment, deal with the liability for improper packaging and benefit from the trust associated with the name.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: ozyrithm]
      #5509524 - 11/08/12 08:32 AM

Even though the 45 days have passed, I would still contact Paypal. A friend was able to resolve a dispute several months after the dead line and Paypal refunded his money.

Jon

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5509542 - 11/08/12 08:46 AM

Quote:

Scope City was certainly a company at one point. I visited their San Francisco store when I was visiting out there. Looks to me like it's fallen apart. Stores have closed and they are not running a good online business. Interesting for sure. I had visited their site a few times when I was looking for stuff. Glad I didn't purchase anything. We'll see if they come back or not, but this won't help them.

Same here; I almost ordered a Glatter laser/Tublug from them a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, I had a discount card from Woodland Hills (TelescopeS.net) and it was delivered yesterday. (BTW, nice laser/Tublug, came in bolt cases.) The site has been there a long time and appeared to be a legit business. With today's economy though, luxury item businesses (and astronomy equipment would fall into that category) are having a hard time. Hopefully they'll get it straightened out; but it will still take them awhile to reestablish a customer base; trust in this hobby is key to having a succesful business. People will deal with slow (like ES is going thru now), but no product/no contact--just plain wrong.

aamilo

Reged: 02/28/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
      #5510034 - 11/08/12 02:06 PM

Quote:

Oh brilliant... just trying to recover my money with Paypal, but because it's gone past 45 days they won't allow me to dispute it. The problem is when dealing with the US (I'm in the UK), things can quite feasibly take more than 6 weeks to arrive, so that is an annoying system Paypal have there.

It's concerning that their could still be people going onto that website and placing and payign for orders. It looks like i've lost my $90. :'(

Here is the post I was talking about: Scope City Closed

Did you contact Paypal yet? I would do it anyways and tell them what happened. Next, did you by chance use a Credit Card with Paypal? If so, call your credit card company. I know they would take care of it for you. Lastly, you can try the BBB online here: BBB File a Complaint

Hope this helps.

GpB311
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: aamilo]
      #5510080 - 11/08/12 02:45 PM

Sad to hear its really this bad, I had hoped to go to their Costa Mesa location from time to time after having such a good experience there.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: jerwin]
      #5510123 - 11/08/12 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Scope City INC gets an F rating (the lowest).

hahah, I looked up Anacortes Telescope & Wild Bird the same owner of Astromart. Anacortes and Astromart both have an F rating. I'm sure Herb kicked someone without telling them why and then didn't respond to the BBB.

Jim

I'm not surprised to hear this at all. I went into his store years ago with money in hand to purchase a 4" Tak refractor. The staff were jerks, and ran me out of their store like I was some kind of street person. When I called the owner (Herb) the following day, he just started screaming at me on the phone about how I littered in his parking lot (don't have any idea what he was talking about).
He's lost about $10,000 worth of my business since that happened. Stay clear of Anacortes!

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: ozyrithm]
      #5510175 - 11/08/12 04:03 PM

I think that a few of you missed this.
Quote:

Mister T.

Reged: 09/15/09

Loc: Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: oldstargazer]
      #5510177 - 11/08/12 04:04 PM

I recently ordered a pair of Park setting circles from ScopeCity. They reported "out of stock", but that they were expected shortly.

After 3 weeks I cancelled the order and went directly to Parks.

That's about all I can tell ya.

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/04

Loc: Moorpark, CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Mister T.]
      #5510293 - 11/08/12 05:24 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

I just drove over there to check out Scope City. It is definitely closed. This is their main store in Simi valley, CA.

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Steve_M_M]
      #5510302 - 11/08/12 05:30 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

What I want to know is when is the Going out of Business Sale? Check out the backroom just a month ago.

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Steve_M_M]
      #5510307 - 11/08/12 05:32 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

More.....

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: Scopecity - a scam? [Re: Steve_M_M]
      #5510338 - 11/08/12 05:56 PM

Who is the owner? Try a personal call if you can track down his phone number. You can also file a claim in small claims court, the fee is usually very little.

hcsceo

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Scopecity - a scam? [Re: Mary B]
      #5510358 - 11/08/12 06:13 PM

The guy is in the UK. I bet everything on the floor is on floor leasing. Once they call that in you shut the doors. If he is taking money on the website and not delivering it'll catch up with him soon enough. If I had to guess someone around here that knows him has already contacted him about this thread.

Dave74
sage

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Gelatinous, MA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? [Re: hcsceo]
      #5510377 - 11/08/12 06:27 PM

What a GD bum!

Man in a Tub
Postmaster

Reged: 10/28/08

Loc: Fogpatch, CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? [Re: Dave74]
      #5510463 - 11/08/12 08:04 PM

IIRC, there was a post a while ago about order processing problems with the Scope City on-line store. I don't remember the particulars. However, I read the thread as a heads-up.

Since 2005, the San Francisco Scope City is where I bought four binoculars. On the same day that I luckily got some Baader Astrosolar Film (one week before the transit of Venus), I made an in-store delivery/pickup order for a Fujinon 10x50 FMT-SX. (This is the way I previously obtained my Pentax 20x60 PCF WP II.) After waiting for more than two months, I cancelled the order. No charges to my credit card ever occurred. I did wonder if Scope City might be in trouble with suppliers, but it is a reality that the Fujinon 10x50 FMT-SX has been difficult to find recently. When Eagle Optics showed "in stock" on their website, I placed an immediate phone order. The binocular arrived A-OK in a few days.

I was sorry that I couldn't get the Fujinon from Scope City. Amateur astronomers are fortunate when there's a real store to visit. Presently, I have no reason to contact or go to the San Francisco Scope City. If it's gone, that is a shame because I have enjoyed my visits.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8051

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics